Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

So some D-II college football coach getting hired to coach a professional English soccer team didn't make it clear to you that the show wasn't realistic? 

Ok.

A college football coach from a college that doesn't even have a football team at that.

Season 1 is fucking magic. I haven’t rewatched it so I don’t know how it holds up, but it hit with the right message at the exact right time and they nailed it. Season 2 and a lot of season 3 were pretty mediocre but they totally stuck the landing. Like it or not, that’s a recipe for a fondly remembered TV show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

But what drives me insane is when a show starts off fairly realistic and then devolves into really dumb and unrealistic plot actions.  

Lolwat?!?!? Just say the very premise of the show out loud to yourself. We’ll wait

35 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes, I get that him getting the job is ridiculous. I just don’t like how the show bounced back and forth between dumb and not dumb. 

If I remember right, I think the more ridiculous was that he accepted the job knowing nothing about soccer. 

You know, I tried to watch this show with an alien who lives with a family but is always wanting to eat their cat. It was just too unrealistic for me that an alien would live with a family so I had to stop watching Alf. I know other people liked it but I just couldn't move past it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

It's maybe a testament to drama/comedy and acting as an art form that people get so emotionally invested in something that they can't take reasonable and rational criticism in something that is inherently subjective.

That's the only thing I can think of to defend dorks who will defend a television show as if they wrote it, acted in it and produced it, against minor to moderate criticism couched in reality.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, HonkeyVape said:

couched in reality

Dude, it's a show on tv to entertain you. If you want pure reality, go outside, sell your tv and touch grass.

Oh don't read books either, some of these have unrealistic elements. Videos games? Not a chance. 

Some of us actually enjoy consuming content that actually isn't realistic, because it's fun and takes us out of regular life. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Dude, it's a show on tv to entertain you. If you want pure reality, go outside, sell your tv and touch grass.

Oh don't read books either, some of these have unrealistic elements. Videos games? Not a chance. 

Some of us actually enjoy consuming content that actually isn't realistic, because it's fun and takes us out of regular life. 

You misunderstood me. I don't mean the art needs to be couched in reality (my favorite genres and some of the more interesting ones generally aren't), but that emotional reaction to when there is criticism of said art and it's couched in reality e.g. The Atlantic article posted or various posters mentioning that this show fell off substantially from S1, etc. and not off the wall, absurd or insane criticism that is unrealistic e.g. "Ted Lasso never once poops!" or "This show sucks because I hate England!"

• Fuck You 1

The issues with criticism of shows in threads like these are that the critics seem to be miserable and yet continue to watch the show.  If the show is as bad as you claim then stop watching and leave the thread so those of us who still enjoy it can discuss the show.  We don’t need to hear each week about how unbelievably bad the show is and how it’s a shell of its former self, just stop watching it if you feel that way.

As for Ted Lasso, almost everyone would agree that Season 1 was the best season of the show and it’s a pretty wide gap.  Season 2 and 3 were still pretty damn good tv.  A lot of people who criticize this show do so because they claim that Season 1 was some perfect show that helped them through a tough time in their life, basically the show acted as a therapist.  That sets up unrealistic expectations for future seasons that could never possibly be met.  That means that all future seasons are a major letdown because despite being quality tv they didn’t fulfill some void in the viewers life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Fair enough. I didn’t realize the thread was solely for people who love the show and have no desire at all to hear other viewpoints. That’s fine.

It’s also not surprising given how people are so closed minded these days and want to live in their bubble of common viewpoints. Not saying that is necessarily wrong. Just didn’t realize that applied to this thread. Good luck with your love fest. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Fair enough. I didn’t realize the thread was solely for people who love the show and have no desire at all to hear other viewpoints. That’s fine.

It’s also not surprising given how people are so closed minded these days and want to live in their bubble of common viewpoints. Not saying that is necessarily wrong. Just didn’t realize that applied to this thread. Good luck with your love fest. 

It is not a thread for people who love the show.  But when someone is coming into the thread shitting on every episode each week in season 3 with the same mantra of how awesome the show was in S1 but how it’s now terrible that gets old very quick.  That’s what we don’t want.  If you have an original thought about the show then let’s hear it.  

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I read some of this thread and other comments elsewhere and see that a lot of people really liked this series, the final season, and the finale. I guess it’s because there are a lot of positive messages, feel good moments, and a few funny catch phrases. 

However, for me I could barely stand it after season 1. I thought season one was pretty good, but in my opinion seasons two and three got so stupid at times that it was very difficult to like it. 

I have a rule that as long as a show or movie makes it clear from the outset that it’s going to be completely unrealistic and stupid, then I can roll with it. Step Brothers, The Other Guys, etc. 

But what drives me insane is when a show starts off fairly realistic and then devolves into really dumb and unrealistic plot actions.  

I know I’m in the minority. Maybe after some time, it will age better with me. 

it's not going to get better with time. seasons two and three are hardly even the same show. after season one they just stopped trying to write interesting or even logical season long storylines and instead just said, "alright then, everyone is friends, everyone is kind, we'll address a bunch of current social issues, and the plot...doesn't matter. just as long as everyone is kind, and goodness and virtue always win." it's so heavy handed and illogical that it breaks all suspension of disbelief. season one was dope though. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Surly loves to double down with "here's a think piece that backs up everything I was saying on here so see, you guys are wrong and should not enjoy it like you're enjoying it". 

If I were writing an article, it would be a think piece about a mid level show idea that hit big at the right time and was magic then struggling with its own limitations in the harsh face of stardom.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, Deej said:

So some D-II college football coach getting hired to coach a professional English soccer team didn't make it clear to you that the show wasn't realistic? 

Ok.

this argument gets made every single time this topic comes up, as if the premise of the show being unrealistic means that fans of the show have to just accept and love every ridiculous thing the show does. like if ted turned into a bird person and roy turned out to be a serial child rapist we should all just be fine with that, because ted lasso being hired to coach a premier league team isn't realistic. 

the scene where isaac led the entire dressing room in deleting all of their ex's photos and having some passionate, impromptu group speech about valuing women (with the blatant subtext that men are trash, in the very same episode where jack, a female, ogles some famous dude's leaked private dick pics no less) was the worst thing i've seen on tv since the final season of game of thrones. which actually is a great season to reference- why should anyone have had a problem with season 8 of GoT when it was a fantasy show to begin with, right? yeah, i don't think so. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

the ubiquitous and continual hypersensitive replies whenever anyone says something critical in a tv show thread never ceases to amaze me. the very same people who look at me and my behavior and are just bewildered by it, continuously react like small children who didn't get the toy they wanted every time someone says something critical of their tv show. it's like an entire thread of derkas that i get to observe and just shake my head and laugh at in total bewilderment. how so many grown ass men can react like such whiny ass babies and fail to see it is straight up hilarious and definitely sad. keep it coming guys! 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Surly loves to double down with "here's a think piece that backs up everything I was saying on here so see, you guys are wrong and should not enjoy it like you're enjoying it". 

LOLOLOLOLOL, what?!?! do you seriously believe this? this is literally the opposite of reality. absolutely nobody has told any of you to stop enjoying the show, meanwhile gangs of you have told people who criticize the show that they need to stop watching. because of that, the people who criticize this show have generally been pretty tame, only to be bombarded by a cadre of posters telling them that they are wrong, time after time after time. DDD dad literally just said that everyone who criticizes this show wrong, and then you guys all had a laugh about it and agreed with him. just an outstanding example of what i'm talking about in my last post. just completely self deluded. wow! 

• Drool 1

51 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Your criticism was fine and in line with many others in here. Your stated rationale, though, was fatally flawed and you got rightly mocked for it.

Nope my criticism was spot on and your inability to see it is what is flawed. Example one of hundreds is the stupid singing good bye on the practice field to the Sound of Music. The show has nice poignant moments like Ted struggling over his son, followed by completely dumb moments like that. 

Nope my criticism was spot on and your inability to see it is what is flawed. Example one of hundreds is the stupid singing good bye on the practice field to the Sound of Music. The show has nice poignant moments like Ted struggling over his son, followed by completely dumb moments like that. 

Did this show start off fairly realistic?

I mean they had a Diamond Dogs session about which Julie Andrews era was the best era. Brett Goldstein appears to be a fairly big fan of her and the show appears fairly analogous to what happens in Mary Poppins. So it's not strange to have a send up of So Long, Farewell in this show, especially since that was the title of the episode.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I mean they had a Diamond Dogs session about which Julie Andrews era was the best era. Brett Goldstein appears to be a fairly big fan of her and the show appears fairly analogous to what happens in Mary Poppins. So it's not strange to have a send up of So Long, Farewell in this show, especially since that was the title of the episode.

Professional athletes acting goody? GOOD LORD NO, not in my world. 

1 hour ago, gernblansten said:

If I were writing an article, it would be a think piece about a mid level show idea that hit big at the right time and was magic then struggling with its own limitations in the harsh face of stardom.

Stop it. I'm going to wet myself.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Nope, it was a moment right in line with the history of the show....every season they got more polished.  This was Ted Lasso not Kramer vs Kramer....every moment being some poignant moment would have gotten real old real fast over 3 seasons.  But even the silly moments like this have a subtle performance point.  Season 1, simple spell out "Hi Boss".  Season 2 some Bye Bye Bye that is more complicated and they have grown a bit in their performance.  Then season 3 the full bird so to speak.  It's a silly moment to underscore their growth as a team.  They sing themselves, the choreography is more polished.... even little things like Will having what looks like a mini tape deck or just a phone speaker in the Bye Bye Bye bit vs the full "Say Anything" boombox by the last season.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Nope, it was a moment right in line with the history of the show....every season they got more polished.  This was Ted Lasso not Kramer vs Kramer....every moment being some poignant moment would have gotten real old real fast over 3 seasons.  But even the silly moments like this have a subtle performance point.  Season 1, simple spell out "Hi Boss".  Season 2 some Bye Bye Bye that is more complicated and they have grown a bit in their performance.  Then season 3 the full bird so to speak.  It's a silly moment to underscore their growth as a team.  They sing themselves, the choreography is more polished.... even little things like Will having what looks like a mini tape deck or just a phone speaker in the Bye Bye Bye bit vs the full "Say Anything" boombox by the last season.  

Yes, all dumb stuff and exactly why I didn’t like it. The frequency and the absurdity of the show just got worse over time. Thanks for making my point. 

7 minutes ago, YChang said:

Yeeesh, can't we just acknowledge it's not everyone's cup of tea and leave it at that? 

Sure. I never demanded anyone else on this thread agree with me, but all of the show’s lovers have demanded I Agre with them. So I won’t comment any further. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deej said:

Ok.

Yeah no kidding.  The part that was the exact same plot as the classic 80s cheeseball comedy Major League, was fine, but all the rest of it was just too silly...

On 7/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Brandywine said:

If I remember right, I think the more ridiculous was that he accepted the job knowing nothing about soccer. 

I know nothing about soccer.  If someone offered me several hundred thousand dollars to coach soccer for a couple of months, caveat emptor, bitch!

this thread is essentially a carbon copy of every thread in the subreddits for TL, rick and morty, always sunny, etc, etc. every one post that's made that criticizes the show is just immediately bludgeoned to death by five other posters who love the show and who feel personally attacked by all criticisms of the show. before long you see threads/posts popping up with titles/comments like, "Why Can't People Just Enjoy The Show???", and, "Are There Seriously People Who Don't Love This Season?", and ", "I guess some people just love to be miserable, i don't think this show has fallen off it all." replete with a thousand upvotes in agreement.

here's a thought: why can't y'all grown ass men allow someone else to post his own opinion with a gang of you virtually SWATTING him? 100% serious here, i guarantee you that within a few years there will be a scientific term for this phenomenon where grown men absolutely cannot handle any criticism of their favorite tv show, taking said criticism as a personal attack. it is so strange, yet so pervasive, they're definitely going to come up with a name for it. 

IMG_6232.thumb.jpeg.721bd38995ad42fcf76256d762cbeaed.jpeg

you guys ran @Dbeasy out of this thread in a matter of hours. not me, not rocko, not grendel (rip)- you ran dbeasy out of this thread and then you all celebrated it together. mission accomplished! safe space activated! NO NEGATIVITY AT ALL!!!*

*except for the part where the majority of the thread gangs up on anyone they don't agree with and harasses them until they give up and leave. that part is pretty negative. 

y'all will never see or accept this be wise you all are the majority, but you guys fucking suck, and you've ruined half the threads on this board with this exact type behavior, over and over and over and over. it's pathetic man. it really is. but uh, have fun in your safe space echo chamber. should make some riveting discussion. 

18 hours ago, txhorns said:

The issues with criticism of shows in threads like these are that the critics seem to be miserable and yet continue to watch the show.  If the show is as bad as you claim then stop watching and leave the thread so those of us who still enjoy it can discuss the show.

this is the lie y'all keep telling yourselves. every accusation is a confession. everyone who says critical about the show  is "miserable" according to y'all. based on what? saying "the show wasn't as good in seasons 2 and 3", "of that episode wasn't very good" means the poster is miserable? how?

it's you guys. you guys become miserable at the very sight of criticism, so you basically bully the people who don't share your view into being so miserable that they say, "fine, i get it, no criticism allowed, i'll leave and not come back." 

1)y'all literally tell everyone who criticizes the show in any way to stop watching and to leave the thread and never come back.

2)when they acquiesce and leave the thread you guys publicly celebrate your big victory with kookie gifs and pos rep circle jerks. 

the only people in this thread/every tv show thread whose feelings are way, way too strong snd unhealthy are you and your ilk: the adult men (and every now and then a woman) who are so triggered and upset by any and all criticisms of your show that you openly and proudly run off everyone who doesn't agree with you. 

1)it's pathetic 

2)it's worse than "derka'ing" a thread

3)it's antithetical to the very foundations of shaggy/surly

congrats dipshits. you've taken something awesome and completely ruined it. you've turned it back into the very thing it was built to get away from. big round of applause for all of you.

That post was not nearly as good as your first one. Honestly, most of your posts have gone downhill since that first post. It’s like you’ve gotten lazy and just repackaged things from your first post. I mean, the post was ok and I still read it, but it wasn’t even close to the quality of your first post.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5