The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Holy shit, is this real?  Is there a source?

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/cohen-turned-on-trump-at-holocaust-survivor-father-s-urging-1.6410864

Michael Cohen, U.S. President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer and fixer, pleaded guilty Tuesday to campaign-finance violations and other charges. According to a new report, Cohen was compelled to turn on Trump after a conversation he had with his father earlier this year, who said he did not survive the Holocaust to have his name "sullied" by Trump.

• Like 2

Just now, Captainant said:

It was said aloud in the court room, reported by a few outlets. May have been someone misspeaking in the courthouse, mea culpa if that's the case, I'm a little shellshocked by all the news this morning lol.

What I heard reported was that Cohen made statements in 2017 that misrepresented the nature of real estate deals with Russia that were playing out during 2016 after the point that Cohen had indicated to Congress that the discussion ended (Jan 2016).  

Edited by Anastasis

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You’d have the tiniest of points if what’s happening here was an isolated anomaly. It’s not. See the UK, Hungary, Poland, Austria, etc etc etc. Trumpism is just an American spin on a world-wide phenomenon that isn’t going away. Liberal democracies had their run. That’s coming to an end.

Hitler had his run too. It ended poorly for him. 

What came after is liberal democracies.

We are just in the bad part of the cycle right now. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hitler had his run too. It ended poorly for him. 

What came after is liberal democracies.

We are just in a the bad part of the cycle right now. 

eggs hackly right.

democracies had gotten fat and complacent, forgetting what they were about.

the analogy with hitler is a good one.  if things look bad right now, consider the mood in 1939.  if you project the trends at that point, we are all nazis now and still trying to get the german pronunciation down.  what happened then is what is going to happen now.  we are still in the education period.  once all who aren't rotten are aware and involved the whole thing begins to turn, and for a while democracies find their cause.

question i have is what do we do with all the rotten shit that can't be cleansed?

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:

I believe he admitted to the substance of Cohen's plea re Trump tower moscow and then went on to say Cohen's a liar who made up the story to get a lighter sentence. Can't be both, Pres T.

yeah, it was strange. "i'm a real estate developer, there's no reason i couldn't work on real estate deals while running for president, i still have to run my business, but this guy is a liar and everything he says is to get a lighter sentence because he's a liar, and i am a businessman"

you know, i'm not even sure if this has been posted or lost in the goddamn cyclonic news cycle, but this is interesting:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/28/trump-slams-special-counsel-after-retweeting-image-of-rosenstein-behind-bars/

WASHINGTON – It was no accident that President Trump Wednesday retweeted an image of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein locked up.

When asked during an interview with The Post: “Why do you think he belongs behind bars?” Trump responded: “He should have never picked a Special Counsel.”

4 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

eggs hackly right.

the analogy with hitler is a good one.  if things look bad right now, consider the mood in 1939.  if you project the trends at that point, we are all nazis now and still trying to get the german pronunciation down.  what happened then is what is going to happen now.  we are still in the education period.  once all who aren't rotten are aware and involved the whole thing begins to turn, and for a while democracies find their cause.

question i have is what do we do with all the rotten shit that can't be cleansed?

The period from the French Revolution to the start of WW1 was another good cycle for liberal democracies.

6 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

eggs hackly right.

Perhaps there is a final solution to the problem.

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, it was strange. "i'm a real estate developer, there's no reason i couldn't work on real estate deals while running for president, i still have to run my business, but this guy is a liar and everything he says is to get a lighter sentence because he's a liar, and i am a businessman"

Not to mention his comment where he essentially said, "he's lying... but even if he was right, I could do whatever I wanted" (paraphrasing)

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Innocent people don't usually have to change their story multiple times.  At some point, Trump will try to claim that coordinating with Putin on when to release the emails was actually ok.

I’ve been saying that since he was elected.  It’s obvious that that is the ultimate conclusion of this.  

24 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

eggs hackly right.

I feel like Trump and the GOP are going to have to amp things up in order for Trump and Trumpism to survive. I wonder what crises they'll create?

serious lulz at that video.

"here's the thing: even if he was right, it doesn't matter, because i was allowed to do whatever i wanted during the campaign. i was running my business, a lot of different things. so very simply, michael cohen is lying, he's trying to get a reduced sentence, for things that have nothing to do with me."

if he had competent lawyers, they'd be rending their garments at that moment.

also, the best article i've found on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/29/michael-cohen-plead-guilty-congress-lying-mueller-investigation

some interesting bits and pieces:

Robert Mueller, the special counsel, said Cohen admitted to lying about the extent of Trump’s oversight of the project, and lying when he said there had been no plans for Trump – identified in court filings as “Individual 1” – to travel to Moscow in 2016.

“I made these statements to be consistent with Individual 1’s political messaging and to be loyal to Individual 1,” Cohen said at the federal court in Manhattan.

Mueller also said Cohen specified that he had lied “to give the false impression that the Moscow project ended before the Iowa caucus” – the critical first vote in Trump’s presidential primary contest.

Mueller also said in the court filing on Thursday that Cohen now admitted he had briefed Trump on the Moscow more frequently than the three occasions that he previously admitted – and also briefed unidentified Trump “family members”.

tenor.gif?itemid=6186534

So the plea is that Cohen misled on the following items:

1. Moscow project discussions did not stop in Jan as Cohen testified. In reality they ran right up till at least Trump clenched the nomination. Cohen briefed Trump and family members on a greater number of occasions than he testified to committee.  Timing of these briefings are not disclosed.

2. Cohen agreed to travel to Russia, contrary to his testimony.  This travel never occurred.

3. Cohen took a call from the Assistant of the Russian Press Secretary regarding the deal. This call was in response to his emails to the PS. Cohen testified to Congress that he did "not recall any response to my email , nor any other contacts by me with [Russian Official l] or other Russian government officials about the proposal".

According to the filling:

COHEN made the false statements to (1) minimize links between the Moscow Project and Individual 1 and (2) give the false impression that the Moscow Project ended before " the Iowa caucus and . the very first primary," in hopes of 4 limiting the ongoing Russia investigations.

so we were all wondering what Mueller was waiting for and now we know. Mueller and team were waiting for Trump to turn in his answers before dropping the Manafort news and the Cohen plea. Ya think Trump just realized that this isnt Mueller's first rodeo? And that maybe, just maybe, that Trump isnt the smartest person in the room? 

I have no doubt Mueller has Trump lying on several questions. Dude is going down exposed as the idiot and fraud we all knew him to be. When the history books are written, future generations will wonder how the republicans were so fucking stupid and if I am still alive, I will say i dont know but they were incredibly stupid and blind to the idiot in the oversized suit, bad dye job, and shitty family con organization. 

• Like 5

We know what Russia wanted and we know what Trump wanted.  The only piece of info that hasn't been disclosed is the one that proves there was a quid pro quo.  I expect Cohen or Slater will be the ones who provide it.

Edited by kevwun