The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Michael Cohen, another completely random person, Trump doesn’t even know him! Just some random guy Mueller picked up off the street and charged him with crimes...

The "random person" comment was directed at Jerome Corsi. 

So I've got this crazy question, bear with me, OK? If I care about taxes, immigration, the economy, the deficit, North Korean disarmament, or any of a myriad of things that the government does on a daily basis, how does anything that has gone on (Mueller wise) over the last week have an impact on those actual important things? Because a normal person would likely conclude these things have no impact. 

If Trump did illegal things I want him in jail. You guys keep saying shit like "Jerome Corsi lied, see I told you" or "Cohen committed perjury" and I'm just like "ok whatever man". Do you see the disconnect?

Also, I do enjoy the living in your head rent free. The sky is quite colorful.

Edited by Thetexashammer

2 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

So I've got this crazy question, bear with me, OK? If I care about taxes, immigration, the economy, the deficit, North Korean disarmament, or any of a myriad of things that the government does on a daily basis, how does anything that has gone on over the last week have an impact on those things? Because a normal person would likely conclude these things have no impact. 

If Trump did illegal things I want him in jail. You guys keep saying shit like "Jerome Corsi lied, see I told you" or "Cohen committed perjury" and I'm just like "ok whatever man". Do you see the disconnect?

hahahaha

4 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

So I've got this crazy question, bear with me, OK? If I care about taxes, immigration, the economy, the deficit, North Korean disarmament, or any of a myriad of things that the government does on a daily basis, how does anything that has gone on (Mueller wise) over the last week have an impact on those actual important things? Because a normal person would likely conclude these things have no impact. 

Well feel free to jump onto the Trump thread, or better yet let’s start a topic about one of those topics....say the deficit.   Plenty of us have been yearning for The Trumpers to chime in who promised us he’d fix that.  Ooooooops.

anyway, people that Trump is friends with Corsi, people that trump put in powerful positions, Manafort, Flynn and trumps lawyer for 2 decades keep getting arrested and all have ties to Russia.  These aren’t just random people. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Taxes -- you mean the tax cut that had no meaningful economic effect?  Or the 10% middle class tax cut that he promised, but won't actually do?  But stay tuned, taxes become relevant again below.

Immigration - you mean the problem not solved at all, but rather an approach that is only creating pointless animosity and dehumanization?  

The economy - you mean the economy that has continued on pretty much ALL trendlines it was on when Trump took office?  

The deficit -- remember the tax cut thing we talked about a second ago?  And the now-record deficit?  Gosh, can't see any connection there.

North Korean disarmament - is this the kind of disarmament where nobody disarms?  Because that seems....disappointing.  I mean, if you can point me to a single nuclear missile or warhead that the DPRK has destroyed, that would be helpful.

THESE are why people laugh at you.

The Trump stuff is just the chuckles that keep coming because we're already in guffaw-mode.

Yes, all of that. What is Mueller's impact on all that? Did you look at the thread title? The subject under discussion is "indictments pending".

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

Yes, all of that. What is Mueller's impact on all that? Did you look at the thread title? The subject under discussion is "indictments pending".

Disabling/removing from office the person in charge of those things?

Is this a trick question?  Do I have to be the kind of person who chains myself to a door and promises to piss myself to own the libs to understand this?  Because I don't think I understand this.

The Trump Organization planned to give Russian President Vladimir Putin a $50 million penthouse in the proposed Trump Tower Moscow as the project was being pitched in Russia during the heat of the 2016 U.S. presidential election, Buzzfeed News reported Thursday. The building project eventually fell apart and it was unclear if Donald Trump knew about the details, Buzzfeed said. Citing four sources, including Trump business associate Felix Sater, who claimed credit for the idea, Buzzfeed said Michael Cohen led negotiations into the summer of 2016, despite public claims that the project was scuttled that January, before Trump had secured the Republican nomination. Cohen, then Trump's personal attorney, reportedly talked about the idea with Putin's press secretary. Sater told Buzzfeed that he came up with the idea of giving Putin the building's best apartment, and that Cohen approved it. "In Russia, the oligarchs would bend over backwards to live in the same building as Vladimir Putin," Sater told BuzzFeed News. "My idea was to give a $50 million penthouse to Putin and charge $250 million more for the rest of the units. All the oligarchs would line up to live in the same building as Putin." Neither Cohen nor the Trump Organization responded to questions from Buzzfeed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-organization-wanted-to-give-putin-50-million-penthouse-in-moscow-report-2018-11-29

It was just a penthouse.  Witch Hunt.

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

Shit, I better check the news. I must have missed something. In older days, the penalty for shooting at the king and missing was a lot higher. Today, you get millions in legal fees.

Did he fire his shot?  Did I miss the release of the Mueller report?

You sure do a lot of "he missed" for someone who's been watching someone clean, load, and aim his weapons, taking out parallel players and creating shooting lanes along the way.  He has to shoot before you say he missed.  And if you're standing downrange of someone doing the set-up, rangefinding, lane clearing, and dialing-in that Mueller is doing....you'd be smart to not stay downrange.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Shit, I better check the news. I must have missed something. In older days, the penalty for shooting at the king and missing was a lot higher. Today, you get millions in legal fees.

Can you promise us you’ll be here when the shot actually gets taken?

9 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

You know the answer to every single question you've asked.  You're just a run of the mill troll.  Not very smart, not funny, not even interesting.

• Like 4

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Can you promise us you’ll be here when the shot actually gets taken?

Sure thing. Maybe you didn't read my post above. I have no knowledge of what Trump did or didn't do. Trump is an idiot who lacks any real identifiable ethics.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Did he fire his shot?  Did I miss the release of the Mueller report?

You sure do a lot of "he missed" for someone who's been watching someone clean, load, and aim his weapons, taking out parallel players and creating shooting lanes along the way.  He has to shoot before you say he missed.  And if you're standing downrange of someone doing the set-up, rangefinding, lane clearing, and dialing-in that Mueller is doing....you'd be smart to not stay downrange.

You keep posting the same thing, just like in the Brexit thread. "Yeah, I got nothing today, but JUST YOU WAIT!!!" OK, I'll wait.

I'm straight down the middle on this thing, or at least I'm totally in agreement with Jonathan Turley, who is entirely mainstream, and in fact, he's a Democrat. 

Original reporting of the $50MM bribe penthouse story

BuzzFeed News first reported in May on the secret dealings of Cohen and his business associate Felix Sater with political and business figures in Moscow.

The two men worked furiously behind the scenes into the summer of 2016 to get the Moscow deal finished — despite public claims that the development was canned in January, before Trump won the Republican nomination. Sater told BuzzFeed News today that he and Cohen thought giving the Trump Tower’s most luxurious apartment, a $50 million penthouse, to Putin would entice other wealthy buyers to purchase their own. “In Russia, the oligarchs would bend over backwards to live in the same building as Vladimir Putin,” Sater told BuzzFeed News. “My idea was to give a $50 million penthouse to Putin and charge $250 million more for the rest of the units. All the oligarchs would line up to live in the same building as Putin.” A second source confirmed the plan.

Sater, a brash real estate promoter who pleaded guilty to racketeering in 1998 and became a longtime asset to US law enforcement and intelligence agencies, had worked with the Trump Organization on deals in the past and said he came up with the idea. Cohen, Sater recalled, said, “Great idea.”

Trump had personally signed the letter of intent to move forward on the Trump Tower Moscow plan on Oct. 28, 2015, the day of the third Republican primary debate.

On Thursday, shortly after news broke about Cohen’s guilty plea, Trump told reporters, “There was a good chance that I wouldn’t have won” the presidential election, “in which case I would have gotten back into the business, and why should I lose lots of opportunities?”

According to the criminal information filed against Cohen Thursday, on Jan. 20, 2016, he spoke with a Russian government official, referred to only as Assistant 1, about the Trump Tower Moscow plan for 20 minutes. This person appears to be an assistant to Peskov, a top Kremlin official whom Cohen had attempted to reach by email.

Edited by Captainant

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think it does the opposite. He is lobbying for open and public hearings, not this closed-door shit they're trying to pull off now. 

Right because you’re not an idiot.  However, the Fox News jagoffs will spin it into a “but Comey” and the imbeciles will eat it up. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Right because you’re not an idiot.  But the Fox News jagoffs will spin it into a but Comey and the imbeciles will eat it up. 

The Fox News jagoff will spin whatever happens anyway and the imbeciles will eat whatever stupidity they spin up.  Might as well fight for public testimony for the 50% of the country that is not imbecilic.

7 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Sure thing. Maybe you didn't read my post above. I have no knowledge of what Trump did or didn't do. Trump is an idiot who lacks any real identifiable ethics.

You keep posting the same thing, just like in the Brexit thread. "Yeah, I got nothing today, but JUST YOU WAIT!!!" OK, I'll wait.

I'm straight down the middle on this thing, or at least I'm totally in agreement with Jonathan Turley, who is entirely mainstream, and in fact, he's a Democrat. 

What the hell "I got nothin, but just you wait" have I posted in the Brexit thread?  Brexit was based, ENTIRELY, on promises of the great future it would bring.  All signs are that....it won't.  It will actually make things worse.  And the Brexiteer response is a uniform "you can't know what the future will bring!"  Yet promising what the future would bring is literally the ENTIRE FUCKING BASIS OF THE BREXIT DREAM.  Jesus, I never thought watching someone step on his own dick would be this cringeworthy.  I really thought I'd laugh more.

As for what's happened with Mueller, you forget that I'm the guy who has said, over and over, none of it will matter?  Mueller could produce a videotape of Trump smothering infants to death, and the GOP Senate will let him skate.  Trump is going nowhere.  But what these recent revelations DO point to is that Trump will stay in the White House....but he'll be missing a lot of his friends and family by the time his term ends.

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

it's a massive failure on the part of news media,

I also kinda disagree with this.  The newspapers have done some of the best journalism I’ve seen in my lifetime during this period.  

Almost all the puzzle pieces are out there, we’re just sitting around waiting for Mueller to put it all together in what will likely be a 1000+ page report. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I also kinda disagree with this.  The newspapers have done some of the best journalism I’ve seen in my lifetime during this period.  

It's an impossible task to distill the depth and breadth of Trump & Associates' villainy down for general consumption.  There will be hundreds of PhD dissertations written on very specific aspects of this travesty . . . as many or more books . . . very few people have the stomach or attention span to drill down deep and truly gain a detailed understanding of what has happened.  I'm more interested than probably 90% of my friends and family, and I get so fatigued that I find it impossible to keep all the players straight.  That's Mueller's job.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As for what's happened with Mueller, you forget that I'm the guy who has said, over and over, none of it will matter?  

Of course it matters. There's another election coming up. You looking forward to six years of Trump? If you're looking for something for the Dem candidate to hold over Trump during the campaign, there isn't much there. I mean, look at this guy. LOOK AT HIM!!!!!!!!

Trump71.jpg

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

nobody outside of twitter has really put the story together. 

it's a massive failure on the part of news media, frankly. but that's to be expected. hell, even the daily mail, which is normally pretty good at aggregating news items has nothing at present.

Somebody didn't read the NYT piece on Trump's tax evasion.  It was brilliant.  In any other administration, it would be as big as Watergate 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If I could pick just two people out of this entire ordeal to go down I think it would be Don Jr and Ivanka.  Assuming dotus would get voted out in 2020, it would be worth it just to see him melt down seeing them go to prison for the rest of their lives.

I'd settle for 30 days in county lockup. 

52 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Sorry for quoting this Trump troll dork, but hammer I can honestly say that if you care about any of things - regardless of where on the spectrum you are politically - you should be praying (which I'm sure you do regularly... Sarcasm) that this fat orange nitwit is gone sooner than later. 

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I still have faith America will correct course eventually.  This is a process, it's going to take some time, and the first step is shinning a huge spotlight on the corruption. 

Despite their subversion, the midterms proved the country is moving in a different direction than the GOP . 

The "republic is over" rhetoric is getting old. 

VVV

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You’d have the tiniest of points if what’s happening here was an isolated anomaly. It’s not. See the UK, Hungary, Poland, Austria, etc etc etc. Trumpism is just an American spin on a world-wide phenomenon that isn’t going away. Liberal democracies had their run. That’s coming to an end.

What UK, Poland, Austria, (failed) France with Le Pen and (failed) Netherlands have in common is Putin's hand.  I think this is important to consider because it suggests this likely is a virtual Potemkin village of global autocracy.  I don't want to minimize what you're saying because this is as serious as a heart attack and we all need to get it together and fight this.  But I don't believe this trend has really matured and taken a lasting hold in the relevant nations.  The facets of human psyche that are being exploited have always been present, but the true crushing structure of lasting autocratic control is not in place where the sway is being felt - yet.

The Russian origin of the Potemkin reference is apt, and right now is the opportunity to splinter and shred the plywood and cardboard.  What we're witnessing is a dangerously effective social data driven cyber-psychological illusion perpetrated by a mafia state with vast off ledger/offshore accounts that are being used to finance and craft corruption of a relatively small number of players groomed for operating the highest levels political office in their countries while remaining beholden to their primary foreign funder and his truly evil intentions. 

Hold accountable and dismantle the psyops actors like Cambridge Analytica and the Russian Internet Research Agency, and rogue bands of hackers with safe havens in RUS and expose and whip in line (and punish if appropriate) complicit social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc. AND begin to freeze and dismantle the trillion dollar invisible offshore economy used to launder and secretly fund these efforts and then, and only then, I believe we will see a re-balancing effect occur naturally.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

VVV

What UK, Poland, Austria, (failed) France with Le Pen and (failed) Netherlands have in common is Putin's hand.  I think this is important to consider because it suggests this likely is a virtual Potemkin village of global autocracy.  I don't want to minimize what you're saying because this is as serious as a heart attack and we all need to get it together and fight this.  But I don't believe this trend has really matured and taken a lasting hold in the relevant nations.  The facets of human psyche that are being exploited have always been present, but the true crushing structure of lasting autocratic control is not in place where the sway is being felt - yet.

The Russian origin of the Potemkin reference is apt, and right now is the opportunity to splinter and shred the plywood and cardboard.  What we're witnessing is a dangerously effective social data driven cyber-psychological illusion perpetrated by a mafia state with vast off ledger/offshore accounts that are being used to finance and craft corruption of a relatively small number of players groomed for operating the highest levels political office in their countries while remaining beholden to their primary foreign funder and his truly evil intentions. 

Hold accountable and dismantle the psyops actors like Cambridge Analytica and the Russian Internet Research Agency, and rogue bands of hackers with safe havens in RUS and expose and whip in line (and punish if appropriate) complicit social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc. AND begin to freeze and dismantle the trillion dollar invisible offshore economy used to launder and secretly fund these efforts and I believe then we see a re-balancing effect occur naturally.

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Of course it matters. There's another election coming up. You looking forward to six years of Trump? If you're looking for something for the Dem candidate to hold over Trump during the campaign, there isn't much there. I mean, look at this guy. LOOK AT HIM!!!!!!!!

Trump71.jpg

Love child of Mark Zuckerberg and Biff Tannen?

So I've got this crazy question, bear with me, OK? If I care about taxes, immigration, the economy, the deficit, North Korean disarmament, or any of a myriad of things that the government does on a daily basis,

There is nothing in your posting history going back to Hornfans that indicates to me that you do. What your posting history indicates to me is that you care very little about those things outside of the politics of which party prevails.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I know I said you guys were delusional, you need not take it so literally. You're literally making my head explode.

I could be wrong obviously because while Hornfans was 10-15 years ago. I take it back, obviously. My assessment of your total disinterest in actual economics, tax, immigration or foreign policy and the outcome of policy only extends back to the shag. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

giphy.gif

Ha, ok.  To elaborate, I don’t think liberal democracy has run itscourse at all.  I think it represents the best means to date in civilization that provides a structure for order (checks and balances) while allowing the full spectrum of expression (often disagreeable and uncomfortable) and a mechanism for adaptation (free elections).  

Any other system without those components is inherently more vulnerable to disruption and total failure than liberal democracy, imho.  Liberal democracies as they exist today may get brutally and corruptly shattered, but I believe there is a superior order they represent in a world of endless chaos and imperfection that can’t ever be muted or destroyed.  They would re-emerge because they are the most stable, adaptable, pressure releasing systems we’ve known.  We’re undergoing a severe stress test right now, but what’s unfolding is a feature.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

VVV

Hold accountable and dismantle the psyops actors like Cambridge Analytica and the Russian Internet Research Agency, and rogue bands of hackers with safe havens in RUS and expose and whip in line (and punish if appropriate) complicit social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc. AND begin to freeze and dismantle the trillion dollar invisible offshore economy used to launder and secretly fund these efforts and then, and only then, I believe we will see a re-balancing effect occur naturally.

I agree 100% with this post and will only add that you haven't covered all the country's affected by this growing malevolence. There's also Greece (Golden Dawn), Hungary (current president), the Netherlands (Party for Freedom), and Italy (Northern League) that, to varying degrees, are echoing the same message.

Edit: Oh, fuck, and Deutschland's AfD.

Edited by bolverk

By Carol E. Lee, Kasie Hunt, Ken Dilanian and Garrett Haake

WASHINGTON — Senate committees investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 election are combing through witness testimony for possible misleading or untruthful statements, according to three people familiar with the effort.

The review of testimony to Senate intelligence and judiciary committees comes as President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, pleaded guilty Thursday to a charge brought by special counsel Robert Mueller that he lied to Congress to cover up efforts during the presidential campaign to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.

The top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, said Thursday that the committee had made multiple criminal referrals to Mueller, but added "we're not going to talk about any individuals." 

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said the intelligence committee "made referrals where appropriate. I am very glad the special counsel is pursuing those who mislead members of congress."

The committee's chairman, Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., had a stern warning Thursday for witnesses appearing before Congress.

"This is a reason people shouldn't lie when they're in front of a congressional investigation," Burr said.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who serves on the judiciary committee, said, "I wish we lived in a world where people always told the truth but that's not necessarily the case." He said he didn't want to "speculate" about who specifically may have been untruthful before the committee.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said it was "possible" that other witnesses had lied. "I think there probably will be some efforts to reinterview some people as a result of what happened today."

Some Democrats on the Senate intelligence and judiciary committees, including Chris Coons of Delaware and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, have said publicly that they suspect that some witnesses, including the oldest president's son, may have given misleading or false statements in testimony.

"My impression from watching Donald Trump Jr. in that meeting is that he evaded and contradicted himself in many of his answers," Blumenthal said on the day the transcript was released. "I have no confidence that he has told the whole truth."

Trump Jr.'s lawyer has denied the allegation.

181129-donald-trump-jr-ew-126p_6139ee3381e11a2f153c74faebb33fba.fit-760w.jpgDonald Trump Jr. and Kimberly Guilfoyle arrive ahead of President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump for the lighting of the National Christmas Tree lighting ceremony at the Ellipse near the White House on Nov. 28, 2018.Andrew Harnik / AP

At least one witness, longtime Trump associate Roger Stone, has amended his original testimony.

More than 200 witnesses have appeared before the Senate Intelligence Committee alone as it seeks to learn about Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Recommended

1x1.png     f_mo_lon_steer_181128.focal-60x60.jpg

3,000-pound steer is too big for the slaughterhouse

1x1.png     1074072220.focal-60x60.jpg

Thousands brave cold to watch Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting

The special counsel does have access to a select number of transcripts from witness interviews conducted by the Senate Intelligence Committee, though Warner would not specify which ones or how many.

Mueller's office reviewed the transcript of Cohen's testimony with the consent of Cohen's lawyer, according to a Senate Intelligence Committee official familiar with the process.

Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee blocked a Democratic effort in September to make all of its interview materials available to the special counsel. But most of those interview transcripts will be released publicly in a redacted state as early as December.

Democrats on the committee tell NBC News that one of the committee's first acts in the new Congress will be to send the special counsel all unredacted transcripts of interviews the panel conducted in 2017 and 2018.

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the incoming chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said Thursday that his panel intends in the new Congress to look at "witnesses we think were untruthful before our committee and committed perjury." He specifically cited Stone as one witness for whom he has "serious questions about whether he committed perjury."

Cohen's guilty plea to a single count of making false statements to Congress about discussions, including with Trump, about a building project in Moscow was the latest twist in a special counsel investigation that has resulted in charges against 33 people.

Federal prosecutors said Cohen lied in order to minimize links between Trump and a possible Trump Tower in Moscow and to obscure the timing of the discussions about it.

Trump responded by accusing Cohen of "lying about a project that everybody knew about."

To me, the biggest story about the article is the tone of the Rep Senators. If it’s Don Jr, they’re in full bailout mode. You don’t recommend prosecution of the President’s son, with such enthusiasm, and then look to share a fundraiser with him someday. They crossed the Rubicon.

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

The Fox News jagoff will spin whatever happens anyway and the imbeciles will eat whatever stupidity they spin up.  Might as well fight for public testimony for the 50% of the country that is not imbecilic.

quit worrying about the imbeciles.  when you have something that can't be fixed, put down your wrench.