The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yes. I know a good number of posters here act like things that happened twenty years ago are not relevant to modern geopolitics. Americans have an extremely short attention span, and an extremely short sighted view of world history and geopolitics. It’s a good thing that never catches up with us. 

The problem with your hot takes is they neglect the consequences of the alternative courses of action.   It’s easy to make superficial historical arguments on Bill Clinton helping Yeltsin or Comey sending his letter to Congress when you ignore what would have likely happened if they didn’t make the decisions they did.  

It’s shallow disingenuous analysis where the only correct decision anyone could have made in the past is to not make a decision.

It’s bullshit. 

• Like 8

Two obvious outcomes associated with the counterfactuals you highlight. 1) Putin would likely not be in power in Russia. 2) trump would not be president. Would there be other associated consequences? Sure. But those would be the headliners. 

41 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s shallow disingenuous analysis where the only correct decision anyone could have made in the past is to not make a decision.

Speaking of shallow disengenuous analysis. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Two obvious outcomes associated with the counterfactuals you highlight. 1) Putin would likely not be in power in Russia. 2) trump would not be president. Would there be other associated consequences? Sure. But those would be the headliners. 

Speaking of shallow disengenuous analysis. 

And you can't definitively say that. Too many variables at play to say how a chain reaction of events would unfold based on one strategy over another. You provide no other alternatives to running a large government in a global capacity other than, don't put your hands in other people's cookie jars. But that's how the games are played currently. Because regardless of our stance, people like Putin want to tear us down. And I'd rather find a way to subvert him first, before he does what he wants to do. And I get it, we make handshake agreements with bad people around the world to do bad things on our behalf. I'm not a fan of it either, but until a better way presents itself, it's what we can leverage to ensure our relative security.

I'd rather move to building a sustainable clean energy system so that we don't need to rely on oil and it's many ills it brings into the world. I'd rather our society not rely on religion and it's many ills it brings to the world. Greed, corruption, power, etc. All things that drive bad actors around the world, independent of our actions. 

• Like 4

The next time we get Anastasis to get up from out of the peanut gallery and actually propose how to make anything better will be the first.

Contrarians serve an important purpose, but at this point we need something more substantial than "look how we've done bad things, too."

4 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

And you can't definitively say that. Too many variables at play to say how a chain reaction of events would unfold based on one strategy over another. 

Oh I agree. There is some form of a confidence interval around any Monday morning quarterbacking. I would put a much lower confidence on the former, and a pretty high level of confidence on the latter example. The oligarchs could have still intervened to prop up yeltsin and could have still rigged the election for yeltsin without American assistance.

And I am not totally opposed to realpolitik. I realize that the world does not operate in an idealistic framework. Let’s just be a little less jingoistic and honest with ourselves about it, from top to bottom. We don’t give a shit about democracy and self determination and the promotion of other such “American principles”. Every single time our principles are opposed by economic and/or narrow short term interest our principles lose. Often to our long term detriment. 

11 minutes ago, ndawg said:

The next time we get Anastasis to get up from out of the peanut gallery and actually propose how to make anything better will be the first.

Contrarians serve an important purpose, but at this point we need something more substantial than "look how we've done bad things, too."

Bullshit. In nearly twenty years posting on these politics boards I have made detailed proposals on how to improve a broad range of things from domestic issues such as healthcare to broad foreign policy issues. But rhetoric points for you I guess. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Oh I agree. There is some form of a confidence interval around any Monday morning quarterbacking. I would put a much lower confidence on the former, and a pretty high level of confidence on the latter example. The oligarchs could have still intervened to prop up yeltsin and could have still rigged the election for yeltsin without American assistance.

And I am not totally opposed to realpolitik. I realize that the world does not operate in an idealistic framework. Let’s just be a little less jingoistic and honest with ourselves about it, from top to bottom. We don’t give a shit about democracy and self determination and the promotion of other such “American principles”. Every single time our principles are opposed by economic and/or narrow short term interest our principles lose. Often to our long term detriment. 

And I track with what you are saying generally. But I take issue with the bolded part. You, I, and 99.9% of our population, does not have the full story on what happens in the world. The classified actions of other governments and our own actions...and reasoning behind those actions. I'm not naive enough to think we are immune to those same ills I previously stated, but I have to rely on a system of generally good people to steer actions, based on available intelligence, to do the right thing at the time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So we have no principles, those non-existent principles lose a lot, and many times when these things that don't exist lose, we're harmed. 

Who said you can't divide by zero?

13 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

And I track with what you are saying generally. But I take issue with the bolded part. You, I, and 99.9% of our population, does not have the full story on what happens in the world. The classified actions of other governments and our own actions...and reasoning behind those actions. I'm not naive enough to think we are immune to those same ills I previously stated, but I have to rely on a system of generally good people to steer actions, based on available intelligence, to do the right thing at the time. 

I think a good argument could be made that Obama approving the provision of air cover in Libya, as well as the decision to back the Arab street in Egypt, were well within the American self-determination wheelhouse and actually ran against our short-term economic interests. Qaddafi had been relatively well-behaved over the preceding decade and was inviting foreign investment to keep the oil flowing. Egypt, too, was stable and being a good neighbor to Israel. In both of those cases, our decision to back the opposition was very risky and did indeed upset the "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" applecart.  

52 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Reasonable post. Every single time is hyperbole. But your point is well made. Our system requires us to put faith in people with good intentions to balance hard decisions. Our system also requires a series of checks and balances. So good people in charge and institutionalized protections. How would you assess we are doing on those counts?

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Reasonable post. Every single time is hyperbole. But your point is well made. Our system requires us to put faith in people with good intentions to balance hard decisions. Our system also requires a series of checks and balances. So good people in charge and institutionalized protections. How would you assess we are doing on those counts?

Couldn't tell you. Again, too complex and too many unknowns of what justifications were made for any single action on our part. We'll never be able to understand what path we would be on, currently, for any inaction/action on any given military or diplomatic decision. 

I don't agree we should have gone back into Iraq. I don't like how we fought the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't like that we rely on China for our industry. I don't like that we are overly reliant on fossil fuels. I don't like that the NSA passes all traffic on the internet through its data centers. I don't like a lot of things we do. But I can only see these actions from the outside. I don't know the true justifications for these strategies. I have to rely on the people I vote for to make those calls. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think the second part implies that our system does not, in fact, assume the first part.

• Like 1

Well, we love on an earth populated by humans, full of nations run by humans.
I want I hold us to an absolute standard - that should always be a goal. BUT....we also need to grade on a curve, relative to other nation states, adjusted for situation and strength. In other words, how would, say, Poland have handled our decision points had it been in our shoes?
Saying “I’m not opposed to realpolitik” is chickenshit. There’s effectively nothing on earth BUT realpolitik. EVERY nation state generally acts in a self-interested manner.
We can and should do better. But we are who we are, through history and circumstance. Just like everyone else.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I want I hold us to an absolute standard - that should always be a goal. BUT....we also need to grade on a curve, relative to other nation states, adjusted for situation and strength. 

And adjusted for other factors like “how much do we need their oil” and “do they threaten the petroleum dollar” or “but what about the eschaton”. 

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Translation: adjusted for economic self interest and dominant religious beliefs. You know, like every other nation on earth.

I was told America was the shining beacon of democracy on the hill. Like I said. Let’s just put down the jingoistic nonsense. That’s really all I am asking of our leaders as a first step.  We value certain economic and hegemonic ends over things like democracy, fair dealing and self governance. We appear to agree on this. 

• Like 1

I was told America was the shining beacon of democracy on the hill. Like I said. Let’s just put down the jingoistic nonsense. That’s really all I am asking of our leaders as a first step.  We value certain economic and hegemonic ends over things like democracy, fair dealing and self governance. We appear to agree on this. 

We do and we don’t.

It’s similar to where I’ve been on things like basic healthcare, free vaccination programs, etc. - doing good is also often good business. Look at Marshall plan results - we did “good.” We helped rebuild nations, built democratic institutions, and laid the groundwork for future prosperity. That also created more juice in the global system, built strong trading partners, etc. “We all do better when we all do better” also works on the global scale. In fact, I would suggest that our most successful foreign actions (in terms of benefit to us, long-term) have been of that character.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Bullshit. In nearly twenty years posting on these politics boards I have made detailed proposals on how to improve a broad range of things from domestic issues such as healthcare to broad foreign policy issues. But rhetoric points for you I guess. 

Ahh, yes, the Both Sides Manifesto. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 7:27 PM, EMAWesome said:

You really need to go back and retake a high school civics class.  Circumstantial evidence is normally not allowed as presentable evidence in a court of law.  This board is more out of touch with reality than the Flat Earth Society.

#selfownageof2019

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DzmcS5IWkAA-5JP?format=png&name=small

DzmdDN6WwAIH0CD?format=png&name=small

181dfe2b_oprah_wow.gif

I hope she has a good attorney.

”Patten and Kaiser were involved in a controversial election campaign in Nigeria in January 2015, which former Cambridge Analytica employees say had “unsettling” parallels to the US presidential election.

The Guardian revealed that the data firm had worked alongside a team of unidentified Israeli intelligence operatives on the campaign. Ex-Cambridge Analytica employees described how the Israelis hacked the now-president of Nigeria’s emails and released damaging information about him to the press weeks before the election.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3