terrorist shooting in vienna

52-80

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean Austria has one of the strongest nazi/vestiges of naziism populations in Europe.
You go to Berlin and tour the museum, the discussion of the rise of nazis and their governing period is sober, somber, and very matter of fact, with an appropriate amount of shame.
In Austria, you can go in a museum and see this:  

d3c7de96de586b9258c5951b2f5441d0.mov

No knowledge on Nazis in Austria, but what a terrible example.  Museums are exactly where that type of stuff needs to be.  This is the Civil Rights Museum for example:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6

Jesus this fucking thread.  The amount pf intellectually lazy bullshit is stupefying.

• Jews were attacked
  • In Austria
  • Austria is where Hitler came from
  • Austria has a higher NAZI sympathy rate supposedly than other EU nations
  • Ergo......oh, wait...Muslim?  Nevermind....

Fuck

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

To be fair, the Nazi talk, which is accurate, came up in response to the assertion that Vienna is a nice place, which is also accurate.

Just like the US, rural Europe, or perhaps Europe outside the large cities, has a nationalism/fascism problem.  In Austria, that traces pretty directly to the Nazi party of WWII.

Big-city Europe, on the other hand, seems to have a bit of a Muslim extremist problem.  Morseo, actually, than the US.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Jesus this fucking thread.  The amount pf intellectually lazy bullshit is stupefying.
  • Jews were attacked
  • In Austria
  • Austria is where Hitler came from
  • Austria has a higher NAZI sympathy rate supposedly than other EU nations
  • Ergo......oh, wait...Muslim?  Nevermind....
Fuck

A reminder that the one killer they've caught so far was, in fact Muslim.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To be fair, the Nazi talk, which is accurate, came up in response to the assertion that Vienna is a nice place, which is also accurate.

Just like the US, rural Europe, or perhaps Europe outside the large cities, has a nationalism/fascism problem.  In Austria, that traces pretty directly to the Nazi party of WWII.

Big-city Europe, on the other hand, seems to have a bit of a Muslim extremist problem.  Morseo, actually, than the US.

Accurate factually, but contextually irrelevant and misleading and overflowing with confirmation bias.  

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The various crime rates in Vienna, and in all of Austria, including it's rural states, are amongst the lowest in Europe.

There are strict laws prohibiting nazi symbology and messages.  People commonly know that such laws exist in Germany.  The Austrian version version predate Germany's law by 2 years.

Briskets entire Nazi spiel was knee jerk and ignorant.

As far as these shooters, one was jailed and released last winter for various extremist Islam involvement.  The shooters were on video shouting Allahu Akhbar right after shooting some bystanders on the street.

• Hook 'Em 9

So Islamic Nazis are responsible?  

Muslims and the Nazis had mutual admiration for each other. There’s a reason why the term Islamofascists is accurate

Grand Mufti of Jerusalem who practically begged Hitler to come wipe out the Jews in Palestine
8977e860d4008a1893301270f4e5224d.jpg
Waffen SS - Muslim SS volunteers
76d7cd3c3e95592c2569d2f27787eabb.jpg
e9791e90366cf9bb56b739b9a2c344ba.jpg

Hitler had positive things to say about Islam:

In speeches, Hitler purportedly made apparently warm references towards Muslim culture such as: "The peoples of Islam will always be closer to us than, for example, France".[10] Hitler was transcribed as saying: "Had Charles Martel not been victorious at Poitiers [...] then we should in all probability have been converted to Mohammedanism, that cult which glorifies the heroism and which opens up the seventh Heaven to the bold warrior alone. Then the Germanic races would have conquered the world."[11]

22 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The various crime rates in Vienna, and in all of Austria, including it's rural states, are amongst the lowest in Europe.

There are strict laws prohibiting nazi symbology and messages.  People commonly know that such laws exist in Germany.  The Austrian version version predate Germany's law by 2 years.

Briskets entire Nazi spiel was knee jerk and ignorant.

As far as these shooters, one was jailed and released last winter for various extremist Islam involvement.  The shooters were on video shouting Allahu Akhbar right after shooting some bystanders on the street.

Religion of Peace... welcome to America!

Yeah, to come back to this -- the point being rebutted was that Vienna is a great city.

I enjoyed visiting, some beautiful stuff there.....but Vienna (and even moreso, the rest of Austria) still ain't the most hospitable place to be jewish.  There remains an uncomfortably strong thread of nazi-sympathy/anti-semitism running through their society.  No, it's not a Nazi country.  But it's not the friendliest environment for a jewish person.  If I was jewish, I wouldn't be super comfortable living there.

But, whatever, it's paradise, I'm making up the strain of nazi sympathy that Austrians themselves acknowledge, whatever.

What I don't understand is why we find it so easy to believe that there's a material amount of shitheels in a "foreign" society (the islamic world, and their islamofascists and terrorist sympathizers), but we steadfastly refuse to acknowledge a material amount of shitheels in a western nation?  Why do we fight so hard to deny that they exist, and in some places, their numbers are significant enough to be problematic?

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, to come back to this -- the point being rebutted was that Vienna is a great city.

I enjoyed visiting, some beautiful stuff there.....but Vienna (and even moreso, the rest of Austria) still ain't the most hospitable place to be jewish.  There remains an uncomfortably strong thread of nazi-sympathy/anti-semitism running through their society.  No, it's not a Nazi country.  But it's not the friendliest environment for a jewish person.  If I was jewish, I wouldn't be super comfortable living there.

But, whatever, it's paradise, I'm making up the strain of nazi sympathy that Austrians themselves acknowledge, whatever.

What I don't understand is why we find it so easy to believe that there's a material amount of shitheels in a "foreign" society (the islamic world, and their islamofascists and terrorist sympathizers), but we steadfastly refuse to acknowledge a material amount of shitheels in a western nation?  Why do we fight so hard to deny that they exist, and in some places, their numbers are significant enough to be problematic?

Islamist kills jews, you yell "NAZI!" Maybe you're right, but at least you could talk about the people who actually killed them.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You're basing this opinion on ... a 1 week visit?  A hunch?  Tarot cards?  Tea leaves?

EU Agency for Fundamental Human Right compares the incidents of anti-semitism in these countries as:

Austria - 37

France - 450

Germany - 1300

Sweden - 80

UK - 330

These data show that recorded antisemitic offences generally consist of verbal expressions or damage to property and tend not to target individual persons or organisations

So let's see what makes up the 37 incidences in that year.

Verbal expressions (including on the internet) or damage to property: 35

Against an individual person or an organisation:  2

Stop the fucking presses

You've shown over and over again, that you want to paint a grimmer picture than is reality, to satisfy whatever masochistic self-flagellating perversity  that gets you off.

• Hook 'Em 4

When an actual Nazi shoots up some Jewish people, by all means post about Nazism. When a radical Muslim shoots up Jewish people, the discussion should be radical Muslims shooting up Jewish people, not Nazism.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

When an actual Nazi shoots up some Jewish people, by all means post about Nazism. When a radical Muslim shoots up Jewish people, the discussion should be radical Muslims shooting up Jewish people, not Nazism.

And actually, it's not known whether a single Jewish person was hurt, or even attacked. 

The shooting initiated NEAR a synagogue, and was aimed at people on patios of bars and restaurants.  It continued indiscriminately at bystanders at nearby locations (including party zone Schwedenplatz).  No shooting inside a synagogue or at Jews at all

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1