Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

On 1/27/2021 at 2:11 PM, FondrenRoad said:

Personally, I think it should be scaled based on cost of living.  We aren't a one size fits all nation. A country store with 5 employees can't really afford a minimum $12,000 in labor costs a month. More with benefits. Plus if rent is $300 or $400 a month in that town, those employees are getting way more purchasing power parity than someone making the same in a city where rents are 3 or 4 times higher. 

Conservatives are full of shit when they say high minimum wages cause issues in expensive urban areas. Those areas have plenty of buffer to spread the wealth. However, a $15 min wage would absolutely cause issues in most small towns. 

Bullshit

Allsups and Brookshires and the landscape companies I have worked for can afford it.

Exactly why do you want to shit on the rural people?

Goddammit that pisses me off

Do you know why there is no Lowe's in Brownwood?

Because they were going to pay too much!

Edited by cactusflinthead
Because I'm fucking pissed
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Bullshit

Allsups and Brookshires and the landscape companies I have worked for can afford it.

Exactly why do you want to shit on the rural people?

Goddammit that pisses me off

Do you know why there is no Lowe's in Brownwood?

Because they were going to pay too much!

Hate to break it to you. Brownwood has 20 thousand people. You ain't rural. 

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

God damn he has good stuff

They're fucking hilarious. Kenny Ray is allsome.

I found Trae about the same time as everyone else and his two compadres after I started listening. I don't go to many shows, but if they ever let us go hang out in a bar again I am going to drag my ass to town.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

They're fucking hilarious. Kenny Ray is allsome.

I found Trae about the same time as everyone else and his two compadres after I started listening. I don't go to many shows, but if they ever let us go hang out in a bar again I am going to drag my ass to town.

I think I actually like Trae more, but they are both great. I haven’t watched the third guy yet. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think I actually like Trae more, but they are both great. I haven’t watched the third guy yet. 

Drew is...well, he was a lawyer. Of the three he's the most cynical and might be the furthest left. They podcast together and on their own. Sorta, they all have running buddies. WellRed is the starting point. 

They would fit in fine around here.

maybe it's just me and my friend sergey and his algorithm for my mac address......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2021_Joe_Biden_speech_to_joint_session_of_Congress

https://www.google.com/search?q=biden+state+of+the+union+address&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0kYi_lsXuAhWlmq0KHTA_DogQ_AUIDigA&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25

https://www.google.com/search?q=biden+state+of+the+union+address&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigqPKbmMXuAhUP-6wKHctlCS8Q_AUoAXoECAoQAw&biw=1536&bih=722

it seems to me that if there was going to be an actual State of The Union address, there would be a date.

an 'informal' address to both houses allows for punting on the traditional opening phrase....

because The State of our Union is broken.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

maybe it's just me and my friend sergey and his algorithm for my mac address......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2021_Joe_Biden_speech_to_joint_session_of_Congress

https://www.google.com/search?q=biden+state+of+the+union+address&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0kYi_lsXuAhWlmq0KHTA_DogQ_AUIDigA&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25

https://www.google.com/search?q=biden+state+of+the+union+address&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigqPKbmMXuAhUP-6wKHctlCS8Q_AUoAXoECAoQAw&biw=1536&bih=722

it seems to me that if there was going to be an actual State of The Union address, there would be a date.

an 'informal' address to both houses allows for punting on the traditional opening phrase....

because The State of our Union is broken.

Presidents don’t traditionally give a SOTU after a month on the job. It’s called an Address to the Joint Session of Congress. Trump 2017. Obama 2009.  Bush 2001. Etc. 

So 10 Senate Republicans (convenient number) led by Madame Furrowed Brow of Maine whine at Joe to be included in COVID relief talks to avoid reconciliation and bring to the table a $600 billion proposal (30% of Joe’s $1.9T proposal). 

That should be Exhibit #6,356 that the Senate Republicans aren’t and won’t negotiate in good faith and just trying to hamstring the recovery to depress 2022 turnout. 

Fuck ‘em. Pass it with 50 + VP. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So 10 Senate Republicans (convenient number) led by Madame Furrowed Brow of Maine whine at Joe to be included in COVID relief talks to avoid reconciliation and bring to the table a $600 billion proposal (30% of Joe’s $1.9T proposal). 

That should be Exhibit #6,356 that the Senate Republicans aren’t and won’t negotiate in good faith and just trying to hamstring the recovery to depress 2022 turnout. 

Joe Manchin is the decider.

7 hours ago, Bookman said:

What?

https://www.brownwoodtx.com/article/20040304/News/303049982

Article from 2004. It was all set to happen. Grant money lined up. 

"The new Lowe's will be located at the southwest corner of Highways 67 and 183 at the site of what used to be the Johnson-Ross plant.

Early city administrator Ken Thomas said Lowe's intends to tear down all of the structures on the site, with the exception of R&S Industries that has purchased the property where it is operating. Early Mayor David Brooks said Lowe's will sell a small portion of the property to other businesses, possibly fast food restaurants, that want to locate there."

It never happened. I have no way of proving it, but the persistent rumored reason is that Lowe's starting wage was too high and they refused to lower it. 

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

You negotiate first and then accuse the other side of not negotiating in good faith.. A shitty opening offer isn't "negotiating in bad faith". 

Don't get me wrong, I assume they will negotiate in bad faith.  But you still need to go the dance if you are harping on people reaching across the aisle. 

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You negotiate first and then accuse the other side of not negotiating in good faith.. A shitty opening offer isn't "negotiating in bad faith". 

Don't get me wrong, I assume they will negotiate in bad faith.  But you still need to go the dance if you are harping on people reaching across the aisle. 

Showing up with a 30% offer, putting it to the public without talking to Senate Democrats and whining you aren't being included (when I believe the 2017 clause was "you lost, get over it, you don't get a seat at the table") is not in good faith.   Going on TV and saying shit like this is bullshit.  Reconciliation for COVID relief - bad.  Reconciliation for Trump tax cuts - good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Showing up with a 30% offer, putting it to the public without talking to Senate Democrats and whining you aren't being included (when I believe the 2017 clause was "you lost, get over it, you don't get a seat at the table") is not in good faith. 

Brian Deese's comment in the quoted tweets is all Biden's team should say at this point.  They don't get anything out of whining about bad faith.

I want this administration to talk softly but carry a big ass stick and to use it when they need to.  I think that approach will win them some votes next cycle.  Biden was pretty quiet signing all the Exec Orders and I think he should be quite going forward on legislation. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Showing up with a 30% offer, putting it to the public without talking to Senate Democrats and whining you aren't being included (when I believe the 2017 clause was "you lost, get over it, you don't get a seat at the table") is not in good faith.   Going on TV and saying shit like this is bullshit.  Reconciliation for COVID relief - bad.  Reconciliation for Trump tax cuts - good. 

I believe the proper response is "GET FUCKED" (though in a decidedly quieter way, as outlined by tantric above).  These are not serious people and they should not be given the time of day as such.  They made their bed.  Dems need to run roughshod over them.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I believe the proper response is "GET FUCKED" (though in a decidedly quieter way, as outlined by tantric above).  These are not serious people and they should not be given the time of day as such.  They made their bed.  Dems need to run roughshod over them.

This. It has only been 4 years since "Mandate bitches!  Dems can get fucked. We ain't listening to shit!"

Dems really need to stop falling for this shit and get things done. If they need to negotiate with anyone, it should be those in their own party that have some issues with whatever they are trying to pass. And maybe, every now and then include someone like a Romney. No terrorists at all, and no concerned but nonetheless Trump blowers.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

This. It has only been 4 years since "Mandate bitches!  Dems can get fucked. We ain't listening to shit!"

Dems really need to stop falling for this shit and get things done. If they need to negotiate with anyone, it should be those in their own party that have some issues with whatever they are trying to pass. And maybe, every now and then include someone like a Romney. No terrorists at all, and no concerned but nonetheless Trump blowers.

I really don't understand how they don't see this.  Why do they fall for it?  WHY?!?!  

Billy Idol gets it, I don't see why they don't get it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

https://www.brownwoodtx.com/article/20040304/News/303049982

Article from 2004. It was all set to happen. Grant money lined up. 

"The new Lowe's will be located at the southwest corner of Highways 67 and 183 at the site of what used to be the Johnson-Ross plant.

Early city administrator Ken Thomas said Lowe's intends to tear down all of the structures on the site, with the exception of R&S Industries that has purchased the property where it is operating. Early Mayor David Brooks said Lowe's will sell a small portion of the property to other businesses, possibly fast food restaurants, that want to locate there."

It never happened. I have no way of proving it, but the persistent rumored reason is that Lowe's starting wage was too high and they refused to lower it. 

I heard about similar in Red River County, one of the poorest, fastest-shrinking in population in East Texas. Some outsider wanted to come in and create a bunch of new well-paying jobs and the local Mr Bigs shut it down because they enjoyed having a peon-level working pool to exploit. And so you have a payday lending storefront in the coolest building on the courthouse square and not much else there, and elsewhere in town, little more than other payday lending joints. I've got a mess of cousins there, and they are just that -- a mess.   

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I really don't understand how they don't see this.  Why do they fall for it?  WHY?!?!  

Billy Idol gets it, I don't see why they don't get it.

Their donors don't want them to. It's Occam's Razor at this point. Nobody could be this stupid or gullible without being paid to be that way. 

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There's literally no reason to think that more than three or four of the ten Republicans proposing the shitty alternative would even vote for that if it came to a vote. It's a stalling tactic to harm any recovery, nothing more.

Right? I've seen the list of 10 - Collins, Romney, Murkowski are the only 3 I can see voting for this.  Maybe Capito, if the final proposal is more in line to what Manchin wants.  

49 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

My hope is Biden is having these 10 over to the White House today and he just points to Kamala and says "see her? That's vote #51.  We don't need you if you're going to be assholes.  My party won the White House and you lost the Senate." 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My hope is Biden is having these 10 over to the White House today and he just points to Kamala and says "see her? That's vote #51.  We don't need you if you're going to be assholes.  My party won the White House and you lost the Senate." 

Hope in one hand...

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

I can be such a rube. I was going to start a thread about maybe the GOP splitting into a cooperative branch and a nutjob/jihad branch. Glad I came here first. 

Sadly, a lot of Americans won't come here first and not get past my moment of happy-talk delusion.