Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

“It can be bipartisan if you sign onto the plan; otherwise, you know what we doing. My boy Bernie already queuing up that reconciliation!”

The problem with reconciliation, as I understand it, is you can only do it once per year.  So we're going to blow our wad (understandably) on Covid relief and not be able to pass fuck all else.  UNLESS YOU GET RID OF THE FILIBUSTER.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

UNLESS YOU GET RID OF THE FILIBUSTER.

Like I said, show me where to sign. I'm in. LFG. Get stuff done. Get so much stuff done that even though it is much easier to destroy and dismantle--thanks Toddler Trump--that it will take forever and loads of bad will to get undone. Even as hamstrung as ACA was, they weren't able to get it completely undone, so get MOAR done. The GOP were flinging money around to their friends in high places, so make friends in low places by getting them the relief and everything else. If they keep moving so fast getting stuff done, the GOP won't be able to keep up; they've gotten so used to doing nothing that a hurry-up offense will set them on their heels.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The problem with reconciliation, as I understand it, is you can only do it once per year.  So we're going to blow our wad (understandably) on Covid relief and not be able to pass fuck all else.  UNLESS YOU GET RID OF THE FILIBUSTER.

republicans can get 98% of their agenda done without getting past a filibuster.  packing courts?  majority only.  cutting taxes for billionaires?  majority only.  eliminating regulation? presidential authority, doesn't even need congress.  democrats need to figure out the filibuster doesn't hinder the republican agenda, so why tie yourself up?

the limit is 3, tax, spending, and debt limit.  in practice tax bills almost always include spending effects so those 2 get combined.  the other is debt limit which can be done relatively straight.  however, the limit isn't based on the calendar year - the budgetary year is used instead.  so, assuming one hasn't been done for the 2021 budget (and i would assume that one has not otherwise why discuss reconciliation), you can still get a new tax package through later this calendar year for fiscal year 2022.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This Congress gets 2 this year because the last Congress didn’t pass a budget resolution for the current fiscal year. So they get one for FY2021 through 9/30 and a second one after 10/1. Plus one more after 10/1/2022.  

Edited by Js1

For the record, I fucking love the Administration sending Kamala Harris out to do interviews on local television in West Virginia.  Get off the tracks, Manchin, and get on this fucking train.  Because otherwise it's going to roll right over you.

Honestly, it's the type of power play that I didn't think Biden had in him.  It's the type of ruthless "fuck-you" politics that Obama never had the guts to play.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

For the record, I fucking love the Administration sending Kamala Harris out to do interviews on local television in West Virginia.  Get off the tracks, Manchin, and get on this fucking train.  Because otherwise it's going to roll right over you.

Honestly, it's the type of power play that I didn't think Biden had in him.  It's the type of ruthless "fuck-you" politics that Obama never had the guts to play.

Maybe Biden did learn something from watching Obama get shit on

5 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Maybe Biden did learn something from watching Obama get shit on

It's also the difference between a guy who was in DC for 4 years and a guy who has been in DC for like, 100 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Right. I'm wondering if they're just saving filibuster abolishment/reform for when Republicans object to a new Voting Rights Act. I think when Mitch was fucking with the organizing resolution would've been a good time to go ahead and do it, but perhaps some of them prefer the optics of the Republicans opposing democracy "forcing" them into doing it. 

38 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Right. I'm wondering if they're just saving filibuster abolishment/reform for when Republicans object to a new Voting Rights Act. I think when Mitch was fucking with the organizing resolution would've been a good time to go ahead and do it, but perhaps some of them prefer the optics of the Republicans opposing democracy "forcing" them into doing it. 

That's a lot more palatable to voters.  "We have to abolish the filibuster because the GOP is obstructing free and fair elections" > "We have to abolish the filibuster because the GOP is obstructing our weird antiquated rules and procedures no one actually knows" 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

That's a lot more palatable to voters.  "We have to abolish the filibuster because the GOP is obstructing free and fair elections" > "We have to abolish the filibuster because the GOP is obstructing our weird antiquated rules and procedures no one actually knows" 

I don't disagree, though I think "they refuse to acknowledge they lost and refuse to let the Senate get to work" had some argumentative strength, and going ahead and abolishing it in January 2021 would render it completely useless as a political attack against Dems in November 2022. Hopefully they push on a new VRA as soon as this covid shit is done and get it done fast.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don't disagree, though I think "they refuse to acknowledge they lost and refuse to let the Senate get to work" had some argumentative strength, and going ahead and abolishing it in January 2021 would render it completely useless as a political attack against Dems in November 2022. Hopefully they push on a new VRA as soon as this covid shit is done and get it done fast.

It's still on the table.  They still haven't passed the organizing resolution.  That's why Merrick Garland still hasn't been confirmed--fucking Lindsay Graham is still chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

7 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Where are you seeing this?

What will be in it is still up in the air - but he supports the reconciliation process.  For instance, he does not appear to fully support $15 min wage - he likes $11 right now. 

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I'd love to see the Democratic whip count for killing the filibuster.

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Why is Manchin throwing a hissy fit about VP talking in his state?

I am missing some subtle political maneuvers? 

Apparently he got over it. Dunno what the hissy fit was for - I guess bc they didn’t tell him?

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's a really good statement.  I mean, it's not that hard to make such a concise, on-point statement that both acknowledges the problem and explains why it's not a problem.  But we're talking politicians here, and Democrats especially.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

He got mad because it put pressure on him by educating his constituents.

And resulted in the very Trumpy Republican Governor of West Virginia coming out in favor of the package.

And he introduced this legislation yesterday -

He wanted to get his pork.
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Nothing subtle about it.  It was an absolute power play by the Administration to send the VP to talk straight to the voters and say, effectively, "your senator needs to get his shit together, or else you're not going to get $1,400 in your pocket."

It's the kind of power play that Obama never pulled, much to his great discredit and injury.  He let the congressional Dems walk all over him, lowering the size of the stimulus and eliminating the public option.  And then guess what--those congressional Dems who wanted a smaller stimulus and no public option lost in 2010, anyway.

Trump was really no better.  He didn't know how to push Congress.  Of course, he never really cared anything about policy, so maybe he just never tried.  

But yeah, in any event, it's been 20 years since a Democratic president pulled this kind of play with members of his own party.  So they're not used to it.

But I think they'd better get used to it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a really good statement.  I mean, it's not that hard to make such a concise, on-point statement that both acknowledges the problem and explains why it's not a problem.  But we're talking politicians here, and Democrats especially.

Yeah, I've had a ton of reservations about Biden and how he'll engage with Republicans rhetorically and on policy, but with the exception of the $1,400/$2,000 "check" shit (which doesn't really have anything to do with Republicans) I've got to say I've been very happy so far. There's a focusness to his administration that is surprising.

• Hook 'Em 4

He got mad because it put pressure on him by educating his constituents.

And resulted in the very Trumpy Republican Governor of West Virginia coming out in favor of the package.

And he introduced this legislation yesterday -

He wanted to get his pork.
And as Coal continues it's market driven death despite Cheeto running on saving it more and more people in that state will require Govt assistance and programs. Weird that opinions on covid relief are suddenly changing...
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There's a focusness to his administration that is surprising.

I'm not surprised.  He's been in the executive for 8 years prior the the last 4.  He knows how shit is SUPPOSED to work.  And he knew going in that the main part of his job was to unfuck things.  They've been working on this for a long time.

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

We can’t even get the R’s to give up the committee chairs and you’re expecting the Dems to get rid of the filibuster?

https://wvpolicy.org/raising-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour-would-lift-pay-for-255000-west-virginia-workers/

Article from 2019. If you want to be the most consequential senator, and be from the poorest state, the pressure goes both ways. 

According to EPI, if the federal minimum wage ($7.25/hour) was raised by about $1.30/hour/year over the next six years – reaching $15 in 2024 – it would benefit approximately 255,000 West Virginia workers, or a raise for 35.5 percent of the West Virginia workforce.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

DO NOT MEANS TEST THE GOD DAMNED STIMULUS

So our plan was to win the presidency and GA Senate seats in the suburbs and then means test the suburbs out of the stimulus? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

My plan was to win the presidency and the means test millenials with steady jobs out of the stimulus.

Didn't plan on Georgia.

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That has to be nixed and I trust people like Bernie are called it a nonstarter. 

Have him grab some other like-minded folks and get in the faces of those “Senior” Democrats and tell them to back off because they’re going to mess this up. 
In the press briefing earlier, Psaki intimated that Biden wanted the threshold around $120,000; that it’s important for a variety of reasons. I got the feeling that someone has gotten him the info that in addition to job losses and economic insecurity, a lot of citizens are paying larger healthcare costs and for their own PPE and so on; money they didn’t have.
Getting folks over this hump while the vaccines are still in short supply will help a lot of Americans. 

19 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

https://wvpolicy.org/raising-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour-would-lift-pay-for-255000-west-virginia-workers/

Article from 2019. If you want to be the most consequential senator, and be from the poorest state, the pressure goes both ways. 

According to EPI, if the federal minimum wage ($7.25/hour) was raised by about $1.30/hour/year over the next six years – reaching $15 in 2024 – it would benefit approximately 255,000 West Virginia workers, or a raise for 35.5 percent of the West Virginia workforce.

I've been up here working for the last 6 months or so.  It's pretty dire where I've been. 

Bolton doesn't have his own thread and he doesn't deserve one, but what a dork. Maybe if the US had been more proactive when Navalny was being poisoned and persecuted prior to Biden's first fourteen days in office he wouldn't need to add this to his to-do list? None of the many meetings and phone calls produced much of anything did they John? Go away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Surely they aren’t dumb enough to means test the stimulus. Surely.

We see very early signs of Democrats finally ignoring Republicans but it's a cancer that's been spreading for a few decades at this point.

The 2020 Dem primary featured all of the field bashing one of the candidates for not means testing things like college loan forgiveness, so it's still an extremely popular idea to complicated every benefit and find exciting ways to destroy the popularity and enthusiasm behind those benefits.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We see very early signs of Democrats finally ignoring Republicans but it's a cancer that's been spreading for a few decades at this point.

The 2020 Dem primary featured all of the field bashing one of the candidates for not means testing things like college loan forgiveness, so it's still an extremely popular idea to complicated every benefit and find exciting ways to destroy the popularity and enthusiasm behind those benefits.

It's crazy because the support from the public has been high and the GOP is going to get all pissy and fiscally no matter what. Personally, I'm fiscally reserved during flush times, but a global pandemic is an emergency that needs measures that are deep and broad in order to get people back on their feet. If humans really are capital stock, then stop cutting them off at the knees. Children who are hungry cannot best learn. Adults who are hurting cannot best work.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

And we already have a mechanism to capture income... taxation.

Just tax the rich.

- Give everyone school
- Give everyone healthcare
- Give everyone stimulus
- Tax the rich

Biden was never going to put Warren at the Treasury, but do you think she and some of the other progressive minded people can lean on enough people to get *that changed? Yellen is better than her predecessor, but isn't she somewhat more like Joe--no radical change because it scares people? Incremental change? No change? What are we looking at here?

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
*the taxation, just realized the pronoun makes it sound like I meant to install Warren at the Treasury.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Biden was never going to put Warren at the Treasury, but do you think she and some of the other progressive minded people can lean on enough people to get *that changed? Yellen is better than her predecessor, but isn't she somewhat more like Joe--no radical change because it scares people? Incremental change? No change? What are we looking at here?

It's not the cabinet, it's the Congress. It's Manchin and Sinema and the like.

Well Manchin gave the ok to the reconciliation yesterday with his vote and signed off on the $1.9T so no, I do not think the price tag will go lower on the bill.  It will be about the meat now, but with Democrats wanting to fast track this shit, I'm not sure how much negotiating will happen internally in the next 3 days.

Biden is having Senate Dem chairs over today to discuss.