COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

SIAP but I found this on ivermectin

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7709596/

Easy to find.  It's on the NIH's website (that is, it's not being hidden or suppressed).  Here's the NIH summary:

Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of hospitalized adults in Dhaka, Bangladesh (n = 72) Key Inclusion Criteria:
  • Aged 18–65 years
  • Laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection with fever, cough, or sore throat
  • Admitted to hospital within previous 7 days

Key Exclusion Criteria:

• Chronic cardiac, renal, or liver disease

Interventions:

• IVM 12 mg PO once daily for 5 days
  • Single dose of IVM 12 mg PO plus DOX 200 mg PO on Day 1, then DOX 100 mg every 12 hours for 4 days
  • Placebo

Primary Endpoints:

• Time to virologic clearance, measured by obtaining an NP swab for SARS-CoV-2 PCR on Days 3, 7, and 14, then weekly until PCR result was negative
  • Resolution of fever and cough within 7 days
Number of Participants:
  • IVM (n = 24; 2 withdrew), IVM plus DOX (n = 24; 1 withdrew), and placebo (n = 24; 1 withdrew)

Participant Characteristics:

• Mean age was 42 years.
  • 54% of patients were female.
  • Mean time from symptom onset to assessment was 3.83 days.
  • No patients required supplemental oxygen.

Primary Outcomes:

• Shorter mean time to virologic clearance with IVM than placebo (9.7 days vs. 12.7 days; P = 0.02), but not with IVM plus DOX (11.5 days; P = 0.27).
  • Rates of virologic clearance were greater in IVM arm at Day 7 (HR 4.1; 95% CI, 1.1–14.7; P = 0.03) and at Day 14 (HR 2.7; 95% CI, 1.2–6.0; P = 0.02) compared to placebo, but not in the IVM plus DOX arm (HR 2.3; 95% CI, 0.6–9.0; P = 0.22 and HR 1.7; 95% CI, 0.8–4.0; P = 0.19).
  • No statistically significant difference in time to resolution of fever, cough, or sore throat between IVM and placebo arms (P = 0.35, P = 0.18, and P = 0.35, respectively) or IVM plus DOX and placebo arms (P = 0.09, P = 0.23, and P = 0.09, respectively).

Other Outcomes:

• Mean values of CRP, LDH, procalcitonin, and ferritin declined in all arms from baseline to Day 7, but there were no between-arm comparisons of the changes.
  • No between-arm differences in duration of hospitalization (P = 0.93).
  • No SAEs recorded.
Key Limitations:
  • Small sample size
  • Unclear whether both IVM and DOX placebos were used.
  • Excluded patients with chronic diseases.
  • Disease appears to have been mild in all patients; thus, the reason for hospitalization is unclear.
  • Absolute changes in inflammatory markers were not presented, but were reportedly significant.
  • PCR results are not a validated surrogate marker for clinical efficacy.

Interpretation:

• A 5-day course of IVM resulted in faster virologic clearance than placebo, but not a faster time to resolution of symptoms (fever, cough, and sore throat). Because time to virologic clearance is not a validated surrogate marker for clinical efficacy, the clinical efficacy of IVM is unknow

It may point to a positive thing -- that is, some therapeutic effectiveness, in some cases for some patients.  But it's far from dispositive.

Again, nobody is saying "no, no, never invermectin!"  The only "opposition" to it is as it is being widely discussed and presented at present (see Texags): as a miracle cure that will protect you from COVID, so there's no need for anything else, particularly an evil vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

They are recruiting?  For a giant therapeutic study?  And they'll even mail you the drugs and even PAY YOU MONEY?

See, SUPPRESSION!  "THEY" don't want you to know about these!  It's right in front of you, you just refuse to see it!

Fuck you big pharma!  Trying to suppress therapeutics to drive up your profit!  (If only they realized how much $ could be made from a highly effective therapeutic even at $1/pill)

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m not sure what pediatric hospital you’re referring to as having a bunch of individualized negative pressure rooms, but I work at one of the best pediatric hospitals in the world and the overwhelming majority of our PICU beds are an open concept floor plan. We have a whopping 5 negative pressure rooms

Yeah but the dipshit troll didn’t know that before posting more of his fake bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Easy to find.  It's on the NIH's website (that is, it's not being hidden or suppressed).  Here's the NIH summary:

It may point to a positive thing -- that is, some therapeutic effectiveness, in some cases for some patients.  But it's far from dispositive.

Again, nobody is saying "no, no, never invermectin!"  The only "opposition" to it is as it is being widely discussed and presented at present (see Texags): as a miracle cure that will protect you from COVID, so there's no need for anything else, particularly an evil vaccine.

part of the issue is vax was presented as 95% effective in preventing you from getting Covid.  that is apparently not the case.  not sure we know what the effectiveness is in getting covid.

the vax does appear to be the best therapeutic/prophylactic by far though and is the reason people should get it.

Edited by dcar00

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m not sure what pediatric hospital you’re referring to as having a bunch of individualized negative pressure rooms, but I work at one of the best pediatric hospitals in the world and the overwhelming majority of our PICU beds are an open concept floor plan. We have a whopping 5 negative pressure rooms

Are those beds separated from the rest of the rest of the inpatients?  Maybe that was what he meant?  Either way, he said all the COVID cases go to the ICU and out of the general population?  It's in Frisco, BTW.  

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

There wasn't, though. Stop repeating bullshit.

When physicians have to self-censor their medical opinion out of fear of backlash that is pushback. Not long ago if you had the medical opinion the virus was created in lab your reputation & career could possibly be on the line. 

• Fuck You 4

29 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, lmao said:

When physicians have to self-censor their medical opinion out of fear of backlash that is pushback. Not long ago if you had the medical opinion the virus was created in lab your reputation & career could possibly be on the line. 

Nice attempt at a redirect, you propagandist troll.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

part of the issue is vax was presented as 95% effective in preventing you from getting Covid.  that is apparently not the case.  not sure we know what the effectiveness is in getting covid.

the vax does appear to be the best therapeutic/prophylactic by far though and is the reason people should get it.

First of all, the vaccines were designed to do exactly what they do. Stop severe disease and deaths. They are highly effective at that. Both are still well over 90% at stopping severe disease and considerably higher at stopping deaths. Johnson and Johnson does that successfully as well. 

When the vaccines were released, no one said shit about how many infections they would stop, because we didn't know. We hoped they would stop them, but that wasn't their design and the clinical trials did not look at it. 

We measured vaccine effectiveness in the low to mid-90s at stopping infections versus the wild type (wuhan) and Alpha strains. They are now less effective at stopping infections, but still very effective at severe disease and death. 

Viruses evolve and so will our vaccines. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Pods said:

As will our excuses not to take them.  

when the most unique thing going on in your life is that you won't take the Covid vaccine because you don't trust it, that means you're life is horrible, not interesting.  Consider contracting the vaccine at once and making that the new fun thing you're up to this summer.  

1 minute ago, lmao said:

If it’s moronic opinion and they don’t want to self censor they deserve all the derision cast upon them. 

And anyone saying this virus was “made” in a lab is completely speculating. The genome is fully sequenced. And there are no telltale signs of genes being spliced in. The changes that make it novel have the appearance of random mutations, and unless they are using super secret technology that is the stuff of science fiction

A lot of people postulated it came from improper handling of an isolate of a naturally occurring virus and I can’t recall that opinion being shouted down

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lmao said:

Anyone issuing a "medical opinion the virus was created in a lab" is a quack. 

First of all, it's an epidemiological question, not a medical one.

Second of all, there is no way to tell conclusively if it was made in a lab, or by nature. It's not like there's a fucking instruction manual in the box. 

For the record, I've thought it was a Chinese lab leak the whole time, but you'll never be able to tell the difference conclusively between lab modified and natural. That doesn't leave any signals behind that couldn't also have a natural explanation. 

Edited by Pods
I see Sawbonz already hit some of this a few posts up. ^
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If it’s moronic opinion and they don’t want to self censor they deserve all the derision cast upon them. 

And anyone saying this virus was “made” in a lab is completely speculating. The genome is fully sequenced. And there are no telltale signs of genes being spliced in. The changes that make it novel have the appearance of random mutations, and unless they are using super secret technology that is the stuff of science fiction

A lot of people postulated it came from improper handling of an isolate of a naturally occurring virus and I can’t recall that opinion being shouted down

The topic wasn't even whether there was a lab leak. He said "[s]eems like there was an incentive against therapeutic to obtain emergency authorization for a vaccine." To which I replied "[t]here wasn't though. Stop repeating bullshit." In response to this, he brings up pressure against scientists with lab leak theories? 

That's troll shit.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

The topic wasn't even whether there was a lab leak. He said "[s]eems like there was an incentive against therapeutic to obtain emergency authorization for a vaccine." To which I replied "[t]here wasn't though. Stop repeating bullshit." In response to this, he brings up pressure against scientists with lab leak theories? 

That's troll shit.

Because he's a troll trying to derail productive conversation. Just like GRHorn, lmao is either getting paid to do this, or is a sociopath. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

No.  Read Pods below:

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

First of all, the vaccines were designed to do exactly what they do. Stop severe disease and deaths. They are highly effective at that. Both are still well over 90% at stopping severe disease and considerably higher at stopping deaths. Johnson and Johnson does that successfully as well. 

When the vaccines were released, no one said shit about how many infections they would stop, because we didn't know. We hoped they would stop them, but that wasn't their design and the clinical trials did not look at it. 

We measured vaccine effectiveness in the low to mid-90s at stopping infections versus the wild type (wuhan) and Alpha strains. They are now less effective at stopping infections, but still very effective at severe disease and death. 

One of the most important things above is that the vaccines were designed, tested, and represented as against.....the Alpha strain.  Delta is some new shit.  Nothing that was said about vaccines with respect to the particular virus for which they were designed and tested is "not the case."  Delta is some new shit.  

And in the end, it's largely beside the point.  If option A was "stops you from being infected 95% of the time, and stops you from being hospitalized or dying 99% of the time," and now option B is "stops you from being infected 55% of the time, and stops you from being hospitalized or dying 99% of the time," it's a distinction without a difference when it comes to the only decision point: whether or not to get vaccinated.

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

As will our excuses not to take them.  

when the most unique thing going on in your life is that you won't take the Covid vaccine because you don't trust it, that means you're life is horrible, not interesting.  Consider contracting the vaccine at once and making that the new fun thing you're up to this summer.  

I have a family member that I haven't given up on. I know they aren't going to vaccinate, but I'm not going to quit trying.

Even though I've told them everything I came across and have been right months in advance over and over, it's like none of that ever happened, because they listen to trolls like lmao and GRHorn on social media.

This morning in a single text I got hit with the "natural immunity" and "no therapeutics". The follow up text was a false claim about Israeli data that runs counter to what I've been reading. When I asked for the source, no response. 

We have a serious disinformation problem in this country and this shit is getting Texans killed right now

28 minutes ago, Pods said:

It was 95% getting symptomatic disease, which is of course the only way you would know you had an infection unless you randomly took a test.

yes very effective at severe disease and death.

3 minutes ago, Pods said:

I have a family member that I haven't given up on. I know they aren't going to vaccinate, but I'm not going to quit trying.

Even though I've told them everything I came across and have been right months in advance over and over, it's like none of that ever happened, because they listen to trolls like lmao and GRHorn on social media.

This morning in a single text I got hit with the "natural immunity" and "no therapeutics". The follow up text was a false claim about Israeli data that runs counter to what I've been reading. When I asked for the source, no response. 

We have a serious disinformation problem in this country and this shit is getting Texans killed right now

I know how you feel.  My cousin was feeding my mom all kinds of Covid-Hoax/Anti-Vaccine bullshit from Election Day until about Spring Break.  Then her two daughters (my little cousins) go visit my Mom and Sister in Chicago for Spring Break unvacc'd (they are in their 20's).  I pleaded with my mother to get her and my special need sister vaccinated before they arrived.  She refused.  Said it was up to God's plan.  I begged her, reminded her that she is a 75 year old Hispanic woman who is obese, smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 50 years, has had cancer twice, is on oxygen part of the day because of her respiratory system, gets pneumonia few times per year, and has more co-morbidities than can fit on the damn chart.  But she was convinced it was all bullshit, all part of God's plan, and my cousin and one of my other sisters just fed that bullshit mentality because it was just easier than doing a little bit of reading, having one conversation with your physician, and driving twice to the Walgreen's down the road---the same fucking one she drives to in order to buy cigarettes and candy.  But none of them could be bothered to it.  My cousin would't do it even though her husband was going in for heart surgery, then spinal surgery, then knee surgery all during Covid-19, with her 93 year old father (my uncle) living in their home with them.  

My wife and I finally told everyone they were forbidden from visiting our two daughters (mom's only granddaughters).  Period.  Full stop.  Bitch all you want.  They did for a few days.  Everyone finally got vaccinated after we made them appointments and asked for copies of their card.  /rant

I see the numbers on shots are ticking back up.  It'll only make millions dig their heels in deeper but I think some fence-sitters are finally realizing the cool, rebellious phase of being unvaccinated is basically over.  It's like smoking.  You think it makes you seem like a rebel, you don't play by society's rules.  And then one day, people just look at you like, "You're still doing that stupid shit?  That is so last year."  So you move on to the next thing like wearing a kilt or playing the harmonica.  

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

Not everyone is a lost cause. I have 2 different friends that were holding out until very recently from polar opposite political camps.

One a resort-town Coloradoan whose hippie Mom bombards her daily with shit about how Western medicine is poison and you just need crystals and purified water and blah blah blah. Mom got sick as shit with COVID a few weeks ago and daughter finally was like "screw that, shoot me up Doc."

Other a MAGA-type offshore drilling engineer that's been out of work for over a year and was basically "Well, shit, if I'm ever gonna get a new gig, especially overseas, they're probably gonna want me to be vaccinated..."

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Pods said:

Anyone issuing a "medical opinion the virus was created in a lab" is a quack. 

First of all, it's an epidemiological question, not a medical one.

Second of all, there is no way to tell conclusively if it was made in a lab, or by nature. It's not like there's a fucking instruction manual in the box. 

For the record, I've thought it was a Chinese lab leak the whole time, but you'll never be able to tell the difference conclusively between lab modified and natural. That doesn't leave any signals behind that couldn't also have a natural explanation. 

What lead you to believe it was leaked from a Chinese lab? Would you state that opinion publicly?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Good stuff.  Anyone with knowledge care to hazard an opinion on why ivermectin alone had a noticeable effect, but the same dose of ivermectin plus another drug had no effect?  I only read the abstract at this time. 

Virological clearance was earlier in the 5-day ivermectin treatment arm when compared to the placebo group (9.7 days vs 12.7 days; p = 0.02), but this was not the case for the ivermectin + doxycycline arm (11.5 days; p = 0.27)

Hard to take this paper seriously when there is no fucking Table 1 (Patient Baseline Characteristics).  

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

she is a 75 year old Hispanic woman who is obese, smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 50 years, has had cancer twice, is on oxygen part of the day because of her respiratory system, gets pneumonia few times per year, and has more co-morbidities than can fit on the damn chart. 

Dude - 'rona is the last of their concern.  Just a ticking fucking timebomb

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

her husband was going in for heart surgery, then spinal surgery, then knee surgery all during Covid-19, with her 93 year old father (my uncle) living in their home with them.  

Goddamn man

44 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That's troll shit.

Stipulation of the EUA is that there is no adequate alternative.

• Fuck You 7

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Not everyone is a lost cause. I have 2 different friends that were holding out until very recently from polar opposite political camps.

Other a MAGA-type offshore drilling engineer that's been out of work for over a year and was basically "Well, shit, if I'm ever gonna get a new gig, especially overseas, they're probably gonna want me to be vaccinated..."

Mine is the latter and facts aren't going to matter. I've predicted almost every major development to them well in advance and been right, over and over. I've beaten the disinformation with accurate information repeatedly, but as soon as the disinformation talking points go out, they are as aggressive about pushing disinformation back at me as any troll on this board. They still believe HCQ works, but masks don't work and claim they get a sinus infection if they wear a mask for more than 45 minutes consecutively. 

They are going to contract Covid at some point. They will then be demanding Z-pack, HCQ and Ivermectin. 

I hope they live, because they aren't going to be dissuaded from this path. 

8 minutes ago, lmao said:

What lead you to believe it was leaked from a Chinese lab? Would you state that opinion publicly?

Parsimony, but the vaccine thread isn't an appropriate place to discuss it.

I would absolutely state it openly, as I have on here in the past and am doing now, but no one outside of here would give a shit. 

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Dude - 'rona is the last of their concern.  Just a ticking fucking timebomb

Goddamn man

She's hung on this long, if she can avoid Coronavirus...I think she can live to be 85.  She's crafty like that.  She's at least vaccinated now and does a good job at social distancing.  But her doctor and I both told her, "Yeah, if you get this...you should finish your funeral arrangements in the morning and come get in your ICU bed in the afternoon...bring an iPad to facetime any relatives you may wish to say goodbye to."  But it was always the bullshit conspiracy shit coming from my cousin and then her old school Mexican, "Si Dios Quiere" mentality.  As if Jesus made her sit down and smoke a carton a week for a half century.  Between the oxygen treatments and pneumonia, she probably breathes normally, on her own accord, for maybe 3-4 hours a day.  And she thought God's plan for her was beating Covid-19 on her own.  If it's even real to begin with, which she only accepted after some people she knew died from it last year.  

But I reminded her, as I would remind the other anti-vaxxers in my life, of the Old Man that lived by the river.  The old Christian parable with a modern refresh.  The river is flooding and man's radio warns him to flee for higher ground immediately.  He refuses, thinking that God loves him and will save him.  as the river is rising, a man in a boat passes his house and offers to toss him a rope that he might swim to the boat, get in, and float to safety.  The old man refuses, thinking that God loves him and will save him.  Finally, he is marooned on his roof with just a few feet of oxygen left to breathe before he is drowned in the flood.  A helicopter soars overhead and throws a rope ladder to him to fly him to safety.  The old man refuses, thinking that God loves him and will save him.  The old man struggles to breathe, chokes out under water, and dies.  When he arrives in heaven---he is angry with God.  "Why did you abandon me?  I thought you loved me?  I was not ready to die after all!"  God replies, "You fool, I sent you three lifelines, an official warning, a man in a boat, and a helicopter.  It was my plan to help you, not kill you."  

God has sent you three lifelines during this Pandemic.  Mitigation/Avoiding the virus.  Vaccines to protect you from dying from the virus.  My mother asked what the third one was...and I reminded her it was the one staring every "Christian" anti-vaxxer in this nation for all their lives.  Matthew 7:12, "As in everything...do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  We were supposed to be nice and take care of each other during this whole thing, not take sides on how spit flies through the air.  and just in case you forgot the teachings of Jesus...he still brought masks, social distancing, food delivery, and a miracle vaccine to bear on our country in the nick of time.  

But some people just couldn't be bothered to care about their fellow human.  

If the old adage is true---that guns don't kill people, people kill people.  Then so it is with this pandemic.  The virus doesn't kill people, we kill our neighbor under the illusion of freedom.  

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, lmao said:

Stipulation of the EUA is that there is no adequate alternative.

Try a little harder Fozzz, you are being a bit too obvious of a troll "just asking questions" on something you were "just asking questions" about only 3 hours ago. 

@wildcat09 already showed you there were 8 EUA's for different therapeutics prior to the vaccine being approved. You might notice the link he posted has 

"FDA COMBATING COVID-19 WITH THERAPEUTICS"

in the title and is dated Dec 2020.

Come up with some new troll material bro, even GRhorn knew to let a subject rest for a few days before pretending he'd never asked it. 

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

For anyone needing to push back against some bullshit they've heard from people:

Regarding the argument that the government has covered up the effectiveness of any therapeutics because finding a therapeutic would require them to terminate the EUA for the vaccines, as of December 2, 2020, the FDA had granted EUAs for eight different therapeutics. And yet the vaccines still were granted EUAs. 

This took me literally five seconds to find. The people who push bullshit like this are either brazen liars or absolute fucking idiots. Like, "they should be under constant adult supervision for their own safety" stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Pods said:

Parsimony, but the vaccine thread isn't an appropriate place to discuss it.

I would absolutely state it openly, as I have on here in the past and am doing now, but no one outside of here would give a shit. 

Didn't mean to muck up or hijack the thread. I'll go fuck off now.

• Fuck You 6

3 minutes ago, lmao said:

Didn't mean to muck up or hijack the thread. I'll go fuck off now.

Yes you did, almost every post you've made on this thread and the one in CR are bullshit troll posts trying to inflame or derail conversation.

I don't know if you're getting paid, or just a fucked up dude, but the rest of would appreciate it if you would go fuck off now.

That's why we crowdsourced banned you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Pods said:

Because he's a troll trying to derail productive conversation. Just like GRHorn, lmao is either getting paid to do this, or is a sociopath. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Wait, you can get paid to act like a sociopath?  FUCK! 

I've seen astroturfing campaigns in action.  They don't pay as much as you might think they do, and it was cheaper to hire Filipinos and Eastern Europeans. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

But just like every other species, we don’t as a whole seem to have a grasp on the phenomenon Darwin actually described. It wasn’t stupid birds doing stupid things to get killed and eliminating a degree of stupid from the gene pool. 

I’m not so sure. Let’s ask Brat, they were college roommates.

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4075087455d9bbee8180d6e2caca717e.jpeg

It's even better.  The very thing that there's a supposed conspiracy to suppress and silence....has its own dedicated NIH page, with a link to a page summarizing ALL (as far as I can tell) of known studies of the drug as a COVID therapy.

It's as if there was a "conspiracy to suppress the use of aspirin to treat headaches!"......and there is LITERALLY a government page discussing the current state of knowledge on aspirin to treat headaches, with a link to all known studies examining the efficacy of aspirin to treat headaches.

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

It's hot garbage, by a former (read: Trump admin) official, NOT someone with actual access to current info.  Go to a respected, neutral source for the questions about migrant contribution to COVID cases: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-health-immigration-coronavirus-pandemic-174e424da1eb061d8b8bd53a7192611b

Summary: by and large, immigrants illegally crossing are tested and quarantined.  There are some who go to private partner entities for shelter, and their treatment is less clear.  But, there is no good evidence that COVID-positive migrants are fueling outbreaks.

Which makes sense.  The positivity rate in Louisiana is off the charts, and Louisianans are free to come and go across the Texas border regularly (and many do so).  To the extent that COVID rates are driven up by travelers, US travelers are an equally if not more likely source.  Of course, that's all a red-herring -- almost all COVID transmission in our communities is homegrown.  Someone in Austin coming down with COVID almost certainly caught it from another Austin resident, not an immigrant or coonass passing through town.

Edited by Brisketexan