Northwestern (4-0) 23 Big Ten 378  

USC (2-0) 20 Pac-12 377  

Liberty (8-0) 22 IA Independents 307  

Texas (5-2) 21 Big 12 296  

Auburn (4-2) 24 SEC 187  

Louisiana-Lafayette (7-1) 25 Sun Belt 177  
25   Tulsa (4-1)   American Athletic 155  

cfp faq from this morning

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2020/11/22/selection-committee-rankings-questions.aspx

TOP QUESTIONS FOR THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF SELECTION COMMITTEE

Q:

How will the first selection committee ranking consider the disparity in the number of games between top teams? By November 24, Clemson, for example, is scheduled to have played nine games, while Oregon is scheduled to have played three. How are you taking this into consideration?

A:

There is no minimum game requirement to be eligible for the College Football Playoff. The selection committee`s job is to select the top four teams beginning November 24 and continuing through the final rankings December 20. The number of games and wins by each team is certainly important in weighing its ranking, but it is not the only factor.

Q:

How will the selection committee factor in conference-only schedules? How will you decide between top teams without inter-conference head-to-head competition or shared opponents?

A:

The protocol for ranking the teams has not changed. The selection committee will continue to watch games, assess every team, and use the available data. A lot of football has been played and remains to be played, even with mostly conference-only schedules. The selection committee will continue to use factors such as wins against top 25 teams, wins against teams with winning records, and their expertise to come together and select the best four teams week by week.

Q:

Will one conference have more margin of error than another? Will you weigh PAC-12 losses more than SEC losses? How will you decide between a 7-1 team and a 3-0 team?

A:

The committee ranks teams, not conferences. The more games played, the more chances a team has to prove itself to the committee. If the committee feels the 7-1 team has more quality wins despite one loss, it will factor that into its rankings. If it feels the 3-0 team's undefeated start is more impressive, it will factor that into its rankings. The protocol and the 13 members will continue to assess the teams and use what they have seen on the field week after week to rank the top twenty-five teams.

Q:

How will the committee handle COVID cancellations or losses/wins with key players unavailable due to COVID?

A:

We are not involved in protocols that decide which teams need to cancel games or have their players isolate or quarantine. We will handle the player-availability issue the same way we have done in the past. If a key player misses a game, the committee will know and consider whether the absence affects the on-field performance. COVID cancellations will happen, and the committee will continue to make decisions based on the games played each week.

Q:

Will you expand the playoff this year due to all the uncertainties?

A:

The CFP management committee considered expanding the College Football Playoff this year and decided against it. The year 2020 has been one of uncertainty and change, but we are not changing the playoff format.

Maybe change thread title...  Coaches Poll has Texas #21 now...

Here's how the Coaches Poll shakes out. First-place votes are in parenthesis. 

1. Alabama (59)
2. Notre Dame (2)
3. Ohio State (1)
4. Clemson
5. Florida
6. Texas A&M
7. Cincinnati
8. BYU
9. MIami (FL)
10. Georgia
11. Oregon
12. Indiana
13. Northwestern
14. Oklahoma
15. Iowa State
16. Marshall
17. Coastal Carolina 
18. USC
19. Auburn
20. Wisconsin
21. Texas
22. Oklahoma State
23. North Carolina
24. Louisiana
25. Tulsa

Schools dropped out: No. 22 Liberty.

Other receiving votes: Nevada 39; Liberty 27; Missouri 24; Washington 17; San Jose State 13; Maryland 13; NC State 12; Boston College 12; Boise State 11; Southern Methodist 10; Memphis 9; Army 6; Appalachian State 6; Louisiana State 3; Purdue 2; Iowa 1.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-georgia-climbs-back-into-top-10-in-college-football-rankings/

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe change thread title...

Coaches Poll has Texas #21 now...

Here's how the Coaches Poll shakes out. First-place votes are in parenthesis. 

1. Alabama (59)
2. Notre Dame (2)
3. Ohio State (1)
4. Clemson
5. Florida
6. Texas A&M
7. Cincinnati
8. BYU
9. MIami (FL)
10. Georgia
11. Oregon
12. Indiana
13. Northwestern
14. Oklahoma
15. Iowa State
16. Marshall
17. Coastal Carolina 
18. USC
19. Auburn
20. Wisconsin
21. Texas
22. Oklahoma State
23. North Carolina
24. Louisiana
25. Tulsa

Schools dropped out: No. 22 Liberty.

Other receiving votes: Nevada 39; Liberty 27; Missouri 24; Washington 17; San Jose State 13; Maryland 13; NC State 12; Boston College 12; Boise State 11; Southern Methodist 10; Memphis 9; Army 6; Appalachian State 6; Louisiana State 3; Purdue 2; Iowa 1.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-georgia-climbs-back-into-top-10-in-college-football-rankings/

Oklahoma State still ranked is hilarious. I doubt they win out against their 3 remaining trash games.

This was shaping up to be "their year" and now they are probably the 3rd best team in Oklahoma. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here's the AP for this week

AP Top 25

RK
TEAM
REC PTS
TREND
LAST WEEK
NEXT WEEK
AlabamaAlabama(62)
7-0 1550
-
vsKentuckyW63-3
2 8-0 1471
-
-
3 4-0 1440
-
vs #9IndianaW42-35
4 7-1 1358
-
-
5 5-1 1249
-
-
vsLSU
6 6-1 1223
-
@VanderbiltW38-17
7 8-0 1201
-
@UCFW36-33
BYUBYU
9-0 1109
-
vsNorth AlabamaW66-14
-
9 3-0 951
vsUCLAW38-35
10 7-1 936
-
-
11 5-0 922
12 4-1 899
13 5-2 828
-
14 6-2 693
15 6-2 658
vsKansas StateW45-0
16 8-0 622
17 7-0 542
-
-
18 2-1 540
USCUSC
3-0 461
@UtahW33-17
20 5-2 321
-
21 5-2 289
@ #18OklahomaL41-13
22 5-2 259
vsTennesseeW30-17
23 7-1 218
-
24 5-1 164
vsTulaneW30-24
25 6-2 108
NR
-

Others receiving votes: Washington 35, Liberty 31, Nevada 23, SMU 17, Iowa 15, Boise State 6, Florida Atlantic 5, San José State 3, Buffalo 3

Dropped from rankings: Liberty 21

A lot of interesting matchups this weekend:

Carolina vs ND--is NCs offense for real?  Prolly not, nor do I expect their defense to stop ND.  
Auburn vs Bama--rivalry game but Bama should win this since they seem to be clicking on all cylinders.  Gives us a chance to see if Bama D is for real.  
USC vs Colorado--every USC game could be tightly contested
OSU vs Tech--Tech has no d so OSU should get back on track
Indiana vs UMD--UMD has dispatched some teams that played tOSU closer.  Still expect Indiana to blow out UMD because they're fundamentally sound and UMD hasn't played in a while and still may not be able to field a team, much less practice.
OU vs WVA--WVA is decent but still expect OU to drop 40+ on them
O vs Oregon State--how good is Oregon?  They seem up and down but have managed to scrape by, unlike Texas 
aggy vs LSU--LSU should get beaten soundly but is aggy for real?  LSU has the talent, just inexperienced and this has become a rivalry. Still LSU has been distracted with all the rape and coach O pool dating scene. Aggy should win easy.  
Clemson vs Pitt--Clemson will pound Pitt
tOSU vs Ill--tOSU will roll, brightening Fields Heisman pitch 
Cincy vs Temple--pulling for Temple but Cincy will roll.  

Texas vs ISU--really hate that Texas hasn't played in almost a month, coupled with how close Herman plays every healthy team in the Big 12.  Hope I'm wrong but I'm taking ISU since Mensaball believes in opportunities and anybody playing Texas will get many.  Plus, I don't like big, lumbering qbs that avg 214 yards per game with turnovers.  Texas could shut him down or make him the newest Heisman candidate. Worse yet, a Longhorn offense could go scoreless in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and protect a 3 point lead late by Herminating away from whatever they were successful at. Sam likes to play from behind and ISU will give him the opportunity.  Fingers crossed Elinger can pull it off.  Hook'em. 

Edited by Mdhorn

21 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Liberty would roll us. The fuck are they doing ranked behind us?

Because they are Liberty and they just lost to NC State? Have you looked at their schedule and their opponents' records?

Get a grip. By the way this is not meant to indicate our ranking is deserved or valid, but do you seriously think Liberty would roll Texas?

EDIT to Add Data:

Opp. Result Score Opp. Rec.

@ WKU W 30-24 (4-6)

vs FIU W 36-34 (0-5)

vs UNA W 28-7 (0-4)

vs ULM W 40-7 (0-8)

@ SYR W 38-21 (1-8)

vs USM W 56-35 (2-7)

@ VT W 38-35 (4-5)

vs WCU W 58-14 (0-2)

@ NCST L 15-14 (6-3)

They've only played one team with a winning record, and lost.

Edited by Longhorn Fever
Pulled the data for you
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Because they are Liberty and they just lost to NC State? Have you looked at their schedule and their opponents' records?

Get a grip. By the way this is not meant to indicate our ranking is deserved or valid, but do you seriously think Liberty would roll Texas?

EDIT to Add Data:

Opp. Result Score Opp. Rec.

@ WKU W 30-24 (4-6)

vs FIU W 36-34 (0-5)

vs UNA W 28-7 (0-4)

vs ULM W 40-7 (0-8)

@ SYR W 38-21 (1-8)

vs USM W 56-35 (2-7)

@ VT W 38-35 (4-5)

vs WCU W 58-14 (0-2)

@ NCST L 15-14 (6-3)

They've only played one team with a winning record, and lost.

Have you seen our HC? Yes, I absolutely think Liberty would beat us. A Baylor team with 2 days to prepare almost came back to beat us. Let that sink in. We lost to Maryland with no HC the year prior. You think Liberty wouldn't beat us? Lol ok. 

20 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Have you seen our HC? Yes, I absolutely think Liberty would beat us. A Baylor team with 2 days to prepare almost came back to beat us. Let that sink in. We lost to Maryland with no HC the year prior. You think Liberty wouldn't beat us? Lol ok. 

Look, I hate therman as much as the next guy. I never wanted him at Texas in the first place. Liberty is not gonna "roll" Texas even if Charlie comes back to coach.

Edited by Longhorn Fever
I can't type
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Look, I hate therman as much as the next guy. I never wanted him at Texas in the first place. Liberty is not gonna "roll" Texas even if Charlie comes back to coach.

Whoa, even Charlie? I agree we both hate Therm, but let's not put the cart before the horses. Charlie lost to Kansas, a team Therm needed a fg to beat. Charlie would almost definitely lose to Liberty. 

Whoa, even Charlie? I agree we both hate Therm, but let's not put the cart before the horses. Charlie lost to Kansas, a team Therm needed a fg to beat. Charlie would almost definitely lose to Liberty. 
One of Charlie's teams held OU to 28 yards at the half. Had an 80 yard run called back. Didn't get a live ball penalty called on our behalf until the 2nd half. And that wasn't even the game he won. Can we show up to play OU like that everytime? Tom doesn't think so.

An NFL RB and possible NFL QB turned it over 6 times vs. Kansas. Lost in OT on the road. Frosh QB vs. Jr. QB. Last minute drive to secure win at home. Not sure that gives an advantage to hermie.

You get fired for losing to Kansas. Charlie upgraded the talent for Hermie. Hermie upgraded the talent for.................well that may depend on whether he leaves now.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:42 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

yes.  i know that.  that's why the first sentence above the graphic says "WEEK 11".

can we even context, bros?

Ok then. Here's some context for tonight. Historical CFP committee top 25 rankings. Seems like we should make our 8th appearance all-time tonight, by my count.

image.thumb.png.856447d657b9745550a9a6fd9b7f1942.png

https://public.tableau.com/profile/kyleumlang#!/vizhome/CollegeFootballPlayoffHistory/CollegeFootballPlayoffHistory

https://twitter.com/kyleumlang/status/1331354012428414976

Edited by LonghornSean

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

One of Charlie's teams held OU to 28 yards at the half. Had an 80 yard run called back. Didn't get a live ball penalty called on our behalf until the 2nd half. And that wasn't even the game he won. Can we show up to play OU like that everytime? Tom doesn't think so.

An NFL RB and possible NFL QB turned it over 6 times vs. Kansas. Lost in OT on the road. Frosh QB vs. Jr. QB. Last minute drive to secure win at home. Not sure that gives an advantage to hermie.

You get fired for losing to Kansas. Charlie upgraded the talent for Hermie. Hermie upgraded the talent for.................well that may depend on whether he leaves now.

Let's hope 3rd times a charm 

1.Alabama 7-0

2.Notre Dame 8-0

3.Clemson 7-1

4.Ohio State 4-0

5.Texas A&M 5-1

6.Florida 6-1

7.Cincinnati 8-0

8.Northwestern 5-0

9.Georgia 5-2

10.Miami 7-1

11.Oklahoma 6-2

12.Indiana 4-1

13.Iowa State 6-2

14.BYU 9-0

15.Oregon 3-0

16.Wisconsin 2-1

17.Texas 5-2

18.USC 3-0

19.UNC 6-2

20.Coastal Carolina 8-0

21.Marshall 7-0

22.Auburn 5-2

23.Oklahoma State 5-2

24.Iowa 3-2

25.Tulsa 5-1

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Undefeated BYU at #14, all but killing whatever little hope they had of making it.

Think being in a conference doesn't make a difference..? 

Notre Dame - ACC - #2 / BYU - Independent - #14, (Ute fans have something to laugh about)...

On 11/22/2020 at 12:21 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Liberty would roll us. The fuck are they doing ranked behind us?

So would Boise State after their game last night. 

The fuck? You'd seriously put money on Liberty beating Texas? Sack the fuck up man. 

I knew Ohio State would make the playoff but i didn't expect them to make the initial top 4 despite playing HALF the games of anyone else.

Edited by B00M
Wrong poll

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

They've play a bunch of second tier teams from the south.  Seriously, if you didn't know better you'd think they were in the Sun Belt.

Counterpoint: they want to play but their entire schedule got blown up through no fault of their own.  

35 minutes ago, SDG said:

Counterpoint: they want to play but their entire schedule got blown up through no fault of their own.  

I believe you.  I figured there had to be something going on given the oddness of the teams they were playing.  I thing Boise and UH (maybe UTSA) are the tough teams on their schedule (not going to google it again).  But obviously it hurts them.

2 hours ago, SDG said:

Point: they made themselves a pariah and they will never be in a P5 conference without radical congressional-driven realignment.  And the PAC (Cal and Stanford) will never have them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

The fuck? You'd seriously put money on Liberty beating Texas? Sack the fuck up man. 

I knew Ohio State would make the playoff but i didn't expect them to make the initial top 4 despite playing HALF the games of anyone else.

Aggie has played 6 games with a loss and they’re at 5 and you’re bitching about Ohio State?  Jesus Christ. 

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

That's awesome. I'm so happy for him. We really fucked up by letting him go.

Oh wait, except you left out the part where he somehow found a way to lose this fucking game and drop to 2-4 on the season:

Screenshot_20201125-001414_ESPN.thumb.jpg.8fbef6960c6e614b8029ec3e6a3388e0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Louisiana-(Lafayette) only lost one game, to #20 Coastal Carolina, and beat Iowa State, now ranked #13, pretty handily in Ames.

Yet the committee leaves ULL out in favor of Tulsa, among others? Huh?

Tulsa is pretty decent. It's not a stretch to think the 2nd best team in the American is fringe top 25.

The real head scratcher is 3-2 Iowa who has beaten no one worth a shit and lost to the 2 decent teams on their schedule.

That's awesome. I'm so happy for him. We really fucked up by letting him go.
Oh wait, except you left out the part where he somehow found a way to lose this fucking game and drop to 2-4 on the season:
Screenshot_20201125-001414_ESPN.thumb.jpg.8fbef6960c6e614b8029ec3e6a3388e0.jpg
Actually I did reference the fact that we did not win that game aka lost it. And I did say you lose to Kansas you lose your job. But I admit I liked Charlie.

But my point was that his teams showed up to play versus OU. The boxscore shows it. But yeah it also has you asking how the did we lose.

And I'm telling you the refs screwed him over like no other. The OSU game is remembered but look at this one. 11 to 3. I'm quite certain OUs first penalty was on a punt return for 10 yards so that leaves 2 others for 5 yards each. Those are generally gimmes too. I know damn well one of ours negated a huge run by Swoopes. You know an impactful penalty and really called on a borderline impactful hold.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Interesting that the Vegas championship odds have Florida 4th and Aggy all the way down around 15. Aggy at 200 to 1 sitting in 5th seems pretty strange - same odds as Miami and Washington

Not really.

Aggy isn't going to win their division.  Florida will and just needs to beat Alabama to clinch a playoff berth.  The SEC champ won't be left out.  Aggy needs a lot of other things to happen to be in the conversation with Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and ND.