Markets still falling like whoa

Just now, 52-80 said:

just had a few hundred shares of salesforce put in my account, at $15 per share premium to market price.  great success. i r g8 invester

Well I accidentally bought some ultra short term otm calls instead of the underlying on Friday. Lol. Ended up making 15% on the trade. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well I accidentally bought some ultra short term otm calls instead of the underlying on Friday. Lol. Ended up making 15% on the trade. 

plz buy more because im gonna need to sell a bunch of calls on this to break even 

On 12/5/2020 at 12:03 PM, GRHorn said:

Stocks only go up. As long as M1 keeps growing, no reason to pull money from market. 

man i wonder what happened earlier this year that might have gotten a lot of people to have more dollars in the form of cash and checking account balances

• Like 1

8 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Crazy isn't. Propping up the asset bubbles  and stagnating  without stimulating the economy. And he is absolutely right - the Fed is protecting the financial markets with a large backstop. 

fredgraph.png?g=yn69

Yep. The game is rigged. Might as well play it to your favor while you can. Use the rewards you reap for whatever causes you feel are truly worthwhile.

I’m a bit of a broken record, but if you want to make big money while also giving a bit of a middle finger to this system, then buy some Bitcoin. 

• Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Crazy isn't. Propping up the asset bubbles  and stagnating  without stimulating the economy. And he is absolutely right - the Fed is protecting the financial markets with a large backstop. 

fredgraph.png?g=yn69

This looks like my brokerage account

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/4/2020 at 10:50 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Oh no doubt that adding TSLA to the S&P 500 is going to force some of the largest funds/ETF's to buy the stock, so it gave everyone a months notice to front run the buying spree; and just another dagger into the wallet of anyone who has been a TSLA short or call seller/put buyer. Hell there is no reason it doesn't go up another 15% before the 21st - hell Elon should have used this as another chance to have the company sell more shares and stockpile cash at peak prices

Although if you want to swing for the fences, there can be an argument made that after the run up there will have to be some air let out of the TSLA stock price balloon ..... many have played that game, and most have lost.

man was I wrong - TSLA only went up >7% just today, the squeeze on funds to find shares to add to their portfolio in 2 more weeks is going to keep sending this higher and higher; leading to the question what happens once the mutuals/ETF's are done buying?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1HflVng6sYIb6Gs4pOKiDGtqU5YJ2-hgdM4pRNaT62gs/htmlview

Charts the market cap of largest 25 auto manufacturers. TSLA now accounts for 35% of the total market cap (while accounting for ~ .5% of the worlds production). just leaving this here for the lulz as their market cap continues to balloon. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1HflVng6sYIb6Gs4pOKiDGtqU5YJ2-hgdM4pRNaT62gs/htmlview
Charts the market cap of largest 25 auto manufacturers. TSLA now accounts for 35% of the total market cap (while accounting for ~ .5% of the worlds production). just leaving this here for the lulz as their market cap continues to balloon. 

https://www.power-eng.com/2020/07/29/energy-storage-milestone-pge-tesla-begin-building-730mwh-battery-system/#gref

20% of my portfolio went into Tesla post split and a lot of it was because of this article. If we ever want to hit our decarbonization goals, energy storage capturing damn near 100% of wind and solar off peak production is going to have to play a big part of that. I don’t really see any big names in that space. Maybe NextEra (which I am also long)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BLKNSTY said:

https://www.power-eng.com/2020/07/29/energy-storage-milestone-pge-tesla-begin-building-730mwh-battery-system/#gref

20% of my portfolio went into Tesla post split and a lot of it was because of this article. If we ever want to hit our decarbonization goals, energy storage capturing damn near 100% of wind and solar off peak production is going to have to play a big part of that. I don’t really see any big names in that space. Maybe NextEra (which I am also long)?

Its a bit outdated, but i was looking at this the other day

https://energyacuity.com/blog/2019-top-energy-storage-companies/

Its a bit outdated, but i was looking at this the other day
https://energyacuity.com/blog/2019-top-energy-storage-companies/

Yeah I think you just helped solidify my $200 lotto ticket in NextEra 1/20/2023 $115 Calls. Where are the biggest utilities on the list? Southern, Duke, NRG, AEP, ENGIE, PSEG, DTE, Entergy? PG&E, SoCal Gas too.

NextEra is already the biggest, and arguably the best managed, and they seem to have a head start. I think they had a stock split earlier this year so that’s fairly indicative of a healthy company with quality investments upcoming.

Somebody explain this one to me. 

Grubhub 2020 financials (9 months)- revenue of $1.3 billion, net income of -$89 million. 
Door dash 2020 financials (9 months) - revenue of $1.9 billion, net income of -$147 million.

Grub has a market cap as a publicly traded company of less than $7billion (And Just Eats announced they would buy Grubhub for $7billion, just not yet closed) and yet Doordash is being valued at $38 billion. WTF?

And both companies benefitting from Covid lockdown and cant make money. Yikes

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Somebody explain this one to me. 

Grubhub 2020 financials (9 months)- revenue of $1.3 billion, net income of -$89 million. 
Door dash 2020 financials (9 months) - revenue of $1.9 billion, net income of -$147 million.

Grub has a market cap as a publicly traded company of less than $7billion (And Just Eats announced they would buy Grubhub for $7billion, just not yet closed) and yet Doordash is being valued at $38 billion. WTF?

And both companies benefitting from Covid lockdown and cant make money. Yikes

And there’s foodora and Uber eats and a bunch of other food delivery companies that can spring up overnight using contracted labor. 

what is the secret sauce that makes these operations worth more than 1 billion dollars ?

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

And there’s foodora and Uber eats and a bunch of other food delivery companies that can spring up overnight using contracted labor. 

what is the secret sauce that makes these operations worth more than 1 billion dollars ?

Exactly, if they raise price, they lose market share. Same deal as the ride share companies. This is the dotcom implosion coming all over again. close to $40 billion for a non-profitable company that moves food from one point to another with no real barrior to entry. Grubhub is basically the same fucking company and apparently valued at $7B. I'm willing to allow that there are some structural differences that allow for a market premium, but almost 6X? The VC's prove time and time again that there is a sucker born every minute. 

Edit - And I see they are now actively trading and up $80% so that will make the market cap approximately $72 billion. For a food delivery app. That loses money in a pandemic when restaurants are closed.  

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Exactly, if they raise price, they lose market share. Same deal as the ride share companies. This is the dotcom implosion coming all over again. close to $40 billion for a non-profitable company that moves food from one point to another with no real barrior to entry. Grubhub is basically the same fucking company and apparently valued at $7B. I'm willing to allow that there are some structural differences that allow for a market premium, but almost 6X? The VC's prove time and time again that there is a sucker born every minute. 
Edit - And I see they are now actively trading and up $80% so that will make the market cap approximately $72 billion. For a food delivery app. That loses money in a pandemic when restaurants are closed.  

Makes absolutely no fucking sense. I have to believe this is insiders colluding with banks/MMs and various PR companies to hype up their stock for 60-90 days while they cash the fuck out.

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Uber Eats is the best of the bunch anyway, in my experience.

Tom Siebel's C3.ai company doubled IPO price.  Gained another 25%.  Despite murky tangible products (we have some competitive overlap so i know what theyre *supposed* to do), and concentrated customer base (just like Palantir).

But it has "AI" in the name so let's throw money at it.  

Also Siebel's previous product (CRM software) sucked major donkey dick

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Dd trading at $180 on public opening. Airbnb public trading open rumors are $150.

Were the big institutions able to the Airbnb ipo of $44-50 as initially announced?

I pray DASH holds at these levels long enough for options to start trading. Probably next week sometime

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2020 at 3:47 PM, BLKNSTY said:

Makes absolutely no fucking sense. I have to believe this is insiders colluding with banks/MMs and various PR companies to hype up their stock for 60-90 days while they cash the fuck out.

Except they can’t cash out for at least 90 days.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Except they can’t cash out for at least 90 days.

I have to believe this is insiders colluding with banks/MMs and various PR companies to hype up their stock for 60-90 days before* they can* cash the fuck out.

Edited by BLKNSTY

I won't really brag about the UI of the Etrade website or mobile app, but I will say that the site is pretty damn reliable and responsive. There is an etrade pro app that I have access to, just haven't bothered familiarizing myself with it. That might be better. In any case its better than schwab, whose interface is horrible.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Sheesh that ABNB opening. Where we buying in at boys?

I'm not a user but I think ABNB is a great long term buy. They're locked in the as the global brand for rentals. I know they have some competition with VRBO but they have the #1 spot and it would seem to be a low chance they will lose it. Their network effects will continue to grow exponentially and keep competition away. If you have rental property, can you really shun AirBNB, even if you don't like working with them? You have no choice but to list with them. 

I'm going to dollar cost average buys for them over the next year as they're still going to face struggles with COVID.  I don't care about short term unrealized losses.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:28 AM, Blotto said:

I pray DASH holds at these levels long enough for options to start trading. Probably next week sometime

Well they are trading, and they arent cheap, but neither is the stock. Expiries out til Aug 21. Gotta figure out my play here. 

Edited by Blotto

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Well they are trading, and they arent cheap, but neither is the stock. Expiries out til Aug 21. Gotta figure out my play here. 

Smart play would be to recognize this is going to be overvalued and the price will drop. 

What will actually happen is that the stock will triple and be worth more than the entire hotel industry.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Smart play would be to recognize this is going to be overvalued and the price will drop. 

What will actually happen is that the stock will triple and be worth more than the entire hotel industry.

probably and I will take my ass beating accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I bought December S&P 500 puts at...(checks notes)...1900 back in March. Gonna be a potted meat and jello Christmas for Parliament and his starving children.

You weren’t alone I’m sure. One thing Corona taught me for sure is that if that didn’t permanently damage the stock market, I don’t think anything will, at least in nominal terms. The powers that be will do anything to keep the music playing.