Jeff Traylor Should Starts

Eggo

“Jeff Traylor is a dynamic, transformational leader who will usher in a bright new era for UTSA football,” Baylor head coach Matt Rhule said. “I have long admired Coach Traylor’s passion for young people, his knowledge of the game and his unparalleled impact in recruiting. He is a dynamic personality who will recruit the very best student-athletes from all across the state and high school coaches know that if they send a young man to Jeff, he will be cared for, taught and pushed to be the very best that he can be. I look forward to seeing Coach Traylor and his staff bring a championship to San Antonio.”

• Hook 'Em 2

Schulz, you brings up a good point that he probably has contacts from when he was having players recruited at Gilmer.  I hadn't factored that in.  But having contacts that were there trying to woo your kids and suck up to you in the process is different than having history of actually working with the guys too.   

I couldn't agree more with Matt Rhule, I think he is a phenomenal hire for UTSA.   You should have bolded a few other words though:   bright new era for UTSA FOOTBALL .....  and bring a championship to San Antonio. 

Big difference between getting a quote on the subject of how he'll do at UTSA vs. getting a quote on how he'd do coaching at UT.  Also, what is Rhule supposed to say when the PR team from UTSA reaches out to him for a quote to use in their introductory press release announcing the hire?   

Just because I don't think Traylor is ready to be a head coach at Texas (something several people agreed with on other boards today as being a top 5 job in the country) doesn't mean I don't think he is an excellent coach.  I'm done debating.  Clearly most people here has seen all they need to from him and think he is the best candidate for the job.  Can't change your minds, so I guess we'll see what happens. 

From Jay Norvell - former Texas/OUsucks OC

Before joining Charlie Strong’s Texas squad, Jay Norvell served as the co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at Oklahoma from 2008-2014, meaning that he obviously spent quite a bit of time traveling south to the state of Texas to recruit. During that time, Norvell got to know Jeff Traylor (who now coaches with Norvell at Texas, handling the tight ends and special teams) who served as the head coach at Gilmer HS (TX) and won a few state titles before coming to Austin.

Norvell shared an interesting story with Horns247 about one of his interactions while he was visiting Traylor at a Gilmer practice one year where he noticed an interesting way that Traylor had tagged his offensive plays.

“He’d stand there and signal – I love watching high school coaches how they run practice, the offense signals then the defense signals and you can kind of pick up some things – I see the offensive coordinator signaling, and all of a sudden he’s running this play and it’s called ‘Andy’,” Norvell said.

Norvell continued: “Then he’s running another play called ‘Aunt Bee.’ Then he’s running another play called ‘Barney.’ Then he’s got another one called ‘Ernest T.’ I’m like, ‘Holy Moses. You guys are running the Andy Griffith offense in Gilmer, Texas.’”

Norvell went on to share that Traylor also had play calls that were named after characters from the hit TV series Sanford and Son and the movie Rocky.

“That boy is so country it’s not even funny,” Norvell shared. “He’s got great ideas and he’s a good football guy, you don’t win three state championships without really knowing something about football.”

While it’s highly doubtful that kids these days have seen (or even heard of) the Andy Griffith Show, or Sanford and Son, credit Traylor for finding a creative way to make the play calls relatable for his team. You could easily do the same thing for your guys with characters from classic quotable hits like Anchorman or Step Brothers, or a blockbuster like Transformers and you’d probably be surprised at how well they retain that information / scheme / play.

9 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

And expecting Yurcich and Ash to stay on and work for Traylor when he has a lot less experience is a big F you to them.  So again, I just think that would lead to a nightmare even if those guys did take more money and stayed on.  I'd think there would have to be some underlying resentment.     

And you think they are going to be hot commodities making their current salaries at other schools.

9 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

And expecting Yurcich and Ash to stay on and work for Traylor when he has a lot less experience is a big F you to them.  So again, I just think that would lead to a nightmare even if those guys did take more money and stayed on.  I'd think there would have to be some underlying resentment.     

So coordinators can only work for head coaches that have more experience than them?

Spoiler

I'd imagine Ash could get a job making his current salary for another school next year, yes.  And maybe Yurcich could take a promotion to be Head Coach at UTSA backfilling Traylor after he comes here since that is such a great, high demand, career launching pad of a job to have.  I mean hell, 1 year there of going 7-4 gets you a top 5 in the country Head Coaching Job.  Man, how fortunate could Yurcich be?

Yes, generally speaking when you have to report to someone that is brought from outside your company (team) whom you think is inferior and has less experience and you believe hasn't worked as long/hard as you have, that usually tends to cause a little bit of friction.  But hey, you guys are smart and I'm dumb.  You're right, and I'm wrong.  You're good looking, and I'm hideous.  Your farts smell like roses, and my farts smell like Tom Herman's do after a drunken night out on the town.

I'm quite sure if Traylor gets this job, he can get whichever coordinators he desires because he knows everyone in the industry because they all came through a small 3A town  6+ years ago and listened to stories about how he named his plays after tv shows.  Besides, he has such a wealth of head coaching experience, think of all the  knowledge one could acquire just being around him.  Once Traylor's staff is in place, or wait....I forgot.  He doesn't even have to bring in any people because hey, let's keep our entire staff except for Herman.  Yeah.  That'd be great.  Surely everyone will work together in perfect harmony and we'll be celebrating the national championship in 2-3 short years.  Yeah, no execution risk there at all.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'd imagine Ash could get a job making his current salary for another school next year, yes.  And maybe Yurcich could take a promotion to be Head Coach at UTSA backfilling Traylor after he comes here since that is such a great, high demand, career launching pad of a job to have.  I mean hell, 1 year there of going 7-4 gets you a top 5 in the country Head Coaching Job.  Man, how fortunate could Yurcich be?

Yes, generally speaking when you have to report to someone that is brought from outside your company (team) whom you think is inferior and has less experience and you believe hasn't worked as long/hard as you have, that usually tends to cause a little bit of friction.  But hey, you guys are smart and I'm dumb.  You're right, and I'm wrong.  You're good looking, and I'm hideous.  Your farts smell like roses, and my farts smell like Tom Herman's do after a drunken night out on the town.

I'm quite sure if Traylor gets this job, he can get whichever coordinators he desires because he knows everyone in the industry because they all came through a small 3A town  6+ years ago and listened to stories about how he named his plays after tv shows.  Besides, he has such a wealth of head coaching experience, think of all the  knowledge one could acquire just being around him.  Once Traylor's staff is in place, or wait....I forgot.  He doesn't even have to bring in any people because hey, let's keep our entire staff except for Herman.  Yeah.  That'd be great.  Surely everyone will work together in perfect harmony and we'll be celebrating the national championship in 2-3 short years.  Yeah, no execution risk there at all.

Ok dude.  We got you down as a no.  You seem to have covered every aspect of the man. And implied you have a Hermanesque intellect. And people skills it seems. 

Thanks for participating. Could we maybe suggest you move on to the CDC thread and educate us all on everything hes doing wrong?

Or are you gonna stay on here and keep banging the drum?  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:
  Hide contents

8CCB9B9B-1F90-43B1-89D8-68A60C40F5A4.gif

Gilmer, Texas put five players in the NFL that Jeff Traylor coached. Five players from a small 3A East Texas town. He is the "Urban Meyer" or "Nick Saban" of Texas high school football. That is probably a greater rate than any place not named American Samoa. What does that say about his player development? He has created a dynasty at the high school level already. How much harder is it to do that here? Bill Snyder was a high school coach, with little experience at the college level, and his KSU teams always punched way above their weight. I would definitely consider him for Plan B if Meyer somehow doesn't end up here. But I'm not off the Meyer train by any means.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Gilmer, Texas put five players in the NFL that Jeff Traylor coached. Five players from a small 3A East Texas town. He is the "Urban Meyer" or "Nick Saban" of Texas high school football. That is probably a greater rate than any place not named American Samoa. What does that say about his player development? He has created a dynasty at the high school level already. How much harder is it to do that here? Bill Snyder was a high school coach, with little experience at the college level, and his KSU teams always punched way above their weight. I would definitely consider him for Plan B if Meyer somehow doesn't end up here. But I'm not off the Meyer train by any means.

CHIEF

Bill Snyder is a good comp.  Snyder was 50 when he got the job at KSU.  Traylor is 52.  Snyder had no experience as a college head coach when he got the KSU job.  

13 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Bill Snyder is a good comp.  Snyder was 50 when he got the job at KSU.  Traylor is 52.  Snyder had no experience as a college head coach when he got the KSU job.  

Briles, Malzahn, and Freeze are probably better comparisons for Traylor.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, TornACL said:

This talk of hiring a HC and retaining all the coordinators is so god damn stupid.

I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan my whole life. As the past 25 years has shown us, that approach never fucking works. 

But the Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise, just like Texas!!!!1!/s

44 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Snyder was hired from a Big 10 school where he had been Offensive Coordinator and QB coach for the previous 9 seasons, during which Iowa finished in the top 20 of the AP poll 6 times.  And K-State was coming off of their 2 most recent coaches having  a combined record of 27-93-3.

31 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Briles, Malzahn, and Freeze are probably better comparisons for Traylor.

Briles had been coach at Houston for 5 years before Baylor hired him.

Malzahn had been Offensive Coordinator for Auburn for 3 years and was just one year removed from that role when they brought him back as head coach, so he was a pretty well known quantity in their eyes.

Freeze, no idea how to view him.  Guess he is a good coach seeing as he has Liberty rolling.  But you have to discount what he did at Ole Miss due to all the cheating etc... Plus Ole MIss was coming off 2 seasons of 0-18.  Both Ole Miss and K-state were in position to take a risk on more of an unknown at that point for their program than Texas is today.

I'm really trying not to reply because it's clear that we are just going to have to agree to disagree, and I'm fine with that.  I really do like Traylor and think he is a good coach.  But these examples are just not the same.

• 10 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 6:56 PM, victory88 said:

I like Traylor, but some of you guys are insane if you think he’s the answer to our problems.  The fan base would lose it if we hired the fucking UTSA coach with a 6-4 record.  What assistant coaches would he bring?  Which 5 star recruit is going to sign up to play for him?   How many of our players would portal out?  What’s his track record on NFL development?  Let him prove these things at a bigger program and have a season with fewer than 4 losses, and then we can talk.  I like him and was pissed when Herman didn’t retain him from the previous staff, but holy fuck you guys are really reaching.

This roster has a lot of talent.  We actually have some decent coaches in Giles, Hustler, and Ash. I don’t know how I feel about Drayton, but the RBs are playing well.  We need a coach that can come in and win with this talent right now.  If we hire another unproven coach, we can cement ourselves as the Nebraska of the south.  It will be hard to recover with aggy winning with a big name coach and ou having a top 5 coach that even the NFL coaches try to emulate.  We cannot hire a 6-4 coach from UTSA and take a gamble.

what would the neighbors think?

that is all this line of thinking amounts to.

fuck the neighbors,

we are Texas,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well, like I've been saying for five fucking years now...."oh he's too inexperienced..." "impressive resume, but we're Texas" ...blah blah blah. 

Fucking aggy or LSU will end up with him while we are on an endless treadmill of dudes who've "proven themselves" elsewhere. Our program lacks balls. We've been too scared to make the right hire because we were worried what aggy might say. Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

well, like I've been saying for five fucking years now...."oh he's too inexperienced..." "impressive resume, but we're Texas" ...blah blah blah. 

Fucking aggy or LSU will end up with him while we are on an endless treadmill of dudes who've "proven themselves" elsewhere. Our program lacks balls. We've been too scared to make the right hire because we were worried what aggy might say. Fuck that.

I don’t know about this. Especially in regards to Traylor. Herman was a similar hire, but y’all will grill my ass and say that it is different for blah blah blah. I still think he’s the right one, but Sark will stick around until the SEC move is official (just like Aggy did with Fran and Sumlin). 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No idea if accurate, probably isnt, but Brian Kelly seemed to be a top candidate post-UM.  I think I like the idea of Fickell better than Kelly, even though Fickell is arguably building on Kelly.

I just need a guy who has been a head coach for several seasons and have proved they can build a team from the ground, develop talent and win.

29 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

My only fear with traylor is he’s probably bring a bunch his assistants like Herman did.  He’s very proud of the fact that he has several former hs coaches on his staff (including his brother) 

Texas fans spooged themselves after some of sarks assistants.  We’d be underwhelmed by traylors

How's that working out for us?

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No idea if accurate, probably isnt, but Brian Kelly seemed to be a top candidate post-UM.  I think I like the idea of Fickell better than Kelly, even though Fickell is arguably building on Kelly.

There were three years of Butch Jones, and four of Tuberville in between Kelly and Fickell.

But regardless, Fickell has at least improved Cincinati each year, which cannot be said for the last three guys we have hired.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

My only fear with traylor is he’s probably bring a bunch his assistants like Herman did.  He’s very proud of the fact that he has several former hs coaches on his staff (including his brother) 

Texas fans spooged themselves after some of sarks assistants.  We’d be underwhelmed by traylors

Unless Traylor brings east Texas monkey and a hotter pole dancer.

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

How's that working out for us?

A lot of this just displays the hindsight bias at work here.

A coach should probably be given a little latitude to fuck up an assistant hire just on the basis of probability.  There's nearly a dozen of them, a couple are bound to suck ass.

At least there were no real obvious problems (inexperienced buddies, flat out bad "comfort hires") in Sark's choices.

At this point, it's what Sark does going forward.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A coach should probably be given a little latitude to fuck up an assistant hire just on the basis of probability.  There's nearly a dozen of them, a couple are bound to suck ass.

At least there were no real obvious problems (inexperienced buddies, flat out bad "comfort hires") in Sark's choices.

I tend to agree BUT didn’t Sark hire all of the defensive staff before he hired PK? That seemed so ass backwards at the time.

Also of note. Traylor sort of laid a drinker yesterday too.  She score was not indicative of how shitty utsa played. 
south miss didn’t have a qb.  They ran their “qb “ pretty much every play.  Didn’t even have a RB to run a option zone read .  Just qb runs.  They had a wr run the play in from the sidelines.  It was some middle school shit.  And they were able to remove the ball on UTSA.  
On the other side smiss contained the run pretty well.  
honeslty the only reason UTSA win was because smiss had so many false start and delay of game penalties.  
It was supposed to be a layup game against a 1-8 team with the biggest crowd of the season. 

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

my point was about our judgement.   I thought it was a mistake to not keep Ash and try to build consistency at least on one side of the football.

• Like 1