Jeff Traylor Should Starts

Eggo

So were Chad Morris and Todd Dodge. You’re an idiot. 
Lake Travis, Westlake and Southlake are comparable to Gilmer in what way? They are high schools. They play football. They are in Texas. Other than that what?

Dodge failed at UNT. Morris was not really great at Clemson. Traylor already decent success at UTSA. I'm pretty confident he's a better personality and recruiter than the other two.

There absolutely are enough positives to interview.

If Urban, Saban and Dabo are 10s, everybody else is maxed at a 5. We don't really know enough about Traylor. He could be an 8 or 9. He could be a 2 or 3. If you think he's a plus recruiter and best out there, that's huge in his favor.

Play calling, scheme and personnel choices are undervalued. Player development is overvalued because the perception of it correlates highly to play calling and scheme. Coaching is coaching. Those that win have a knack for it. If Traylor has it and the others don't, you're screwing yourself when he proves it elsewhere.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lake Travis, Westlake and Southlake are comparable to Gilmer in what way? They are high schools. They play football. They are in Texas. Other than that what?

Dodge failed at UNT. Morris was not really great at Clemson. Traylor already decent success at UTSA. I'm pretty confident he's a better personality and recruiter than the other two.

There absolutely are enough positives to interview.

If Urban, Saban and Dabo are 10s, everybody else is maxed at a 5. We don't really know enough about Traylor. He could be an 8 or 9. He could be a 2 or 3. If you think he's a plus recruiter and best out there, that's huge in his favor.

Play calling, scheme and personnel choices are undervalued. Player development is overvalued because the perception of it correlates highly to play calling and scheme. Coaching is coaching. Those that win have a knack for it. If Traylor has it and the others don't, you're screwing yourself when he proves it elsewhere.

59 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

I don't think it'd be the worst hire that could be made.  Traylor would at least fix the recruiting issue that is worsening by the day.  And it's not like Ryan Day had a lot of big time coaching experience before he got the Ohio State job.  That seems to be working out pretty well for everyone.

Thats why we wanted Urban, so he could set up our "Day".

42 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Just because we *can’t get Urban. 

Herman will be fired. If we don’t fire him, I want CDC gone. 

All I've seen you do is bitch about every single name mentioned while simultaneously demanding we fire Herman.  So what's your realistic solution if Urban is off the table?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Chad Morris went 2-10, 5-7, and 7-5 at any the latter which lead to a sweet p5 job at arky where he went 2-10, and 2-8

Dodge went 2, 1,2 and 1 wins at north Texas.  

Traylor is 7-4 and I think is playing in the conference championship game in his first season.   There's a world of difference in the first seasons of these 3 coaches.  

Ha, no. I really think we have the dumbest fan base in America. 

Two totally different things. It’d be totally idiotic to hire Traylor (now). It also is exceedingly stupid to retain Herman just because we can get Urban. If our BMDs, CDC and the admin truly think this way, we seriously should shut the program down, my donations disappear (as do thousands of others), and I won’t watch a single game next year. 

Yeah!  And have the OC be a Madden champ!

It’s this kind of idiot thinking that leads ASU to do whatever the fuck they did with Herm Edwards. Christ people. 

You spend a lot of time here calling people idiots and dumb. Maybe you're not as smart as you think you are.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I have a feeling that Traylor will be the guy we wish we had hired in three years once our next shitty coach is stumbling through 8 win seasons. 

This is my guess, too.

He's the kind of guy who will go find the best coordinators he can with fuck-you money, will be a plus recruiter (and hire plus recruiters), he can navigate the Texas booster situation... 

Urban already told us how to do this. 

1. Hire Jeff Traylor as "Assistant AD for Football"

2. Herman ordered to report directly to Traylor 

3. Traylor takes responsibility for recruiting, training, and game planning

4. Traylor makes Yurcich and Ash responsible for their own calls

5. When Herman inevitably steps out of line, fire him for insubordination, no buyout

6. ?

7. Profit

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

I don't think it'd be the worst hire that could be made.  Traylor would at least fix the recruiting issue that is worsening by the day.  And it's not like Ryan Day had a lot of big time coaching experience before he got the Ohio State job.  That seems to be working out pretty well for everyone.

Ryan Day has his mentor, UM, nearby as tOSU's Assistant AD for whatever. Who is Traylor gonna lean on as HC? Not saying it won't potentially work, but I doubt he's ready for UT now.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Is everyone not demanding Herman be fired?  If everyone not bitching about names after Urban?

All I’m doing is bitching a little louder about suggestions that make no sense - Shanahan, Dabo, Saban, Traylor. I’ll add Cristobal, Franklin, and Fleck to the list but I believe everyone there is pretty unified. 

I’ll repeat what I said on another thread - I’d go back to Urb and offer more money. If that fails I’d go hard after Campbell and Fickell at the same time, and see which one is a better fit. Everyone would be disappointed, but they’d have us playing better than Herman. This shouldn’t be an Urban or bust thing. We’ve busted with Herman and he needed to be fired a week ago. 

Has it occurred to you that it very possibly is NOT about the money?  I know most of us will probably never be in that position, but jeez.  I bet you would try to money whip Jeff Bezos.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Pay him $3mn base (4 years MAX) plus:

$100k for each regular season win;

$500k for winning B12 CG;

$1mn for winning first CFP game; and

$2mn for winning CFP championship

That leaves plenty in the budget to pay top dollar for top coordinators, assistants, a bag man, and someone to handle LHN/donor BS.  If he runs the table, the BMD will line up to pay the man.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Ryan Day was handed the keys to a Ferrari. I'm not sure what we've got here.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Ryan Day was handed the keys to a Ferrari. I'm not sure what we've got here.

Obviously we have a pretty damn talented group, 4th in the nation according to that stat poll I am too lazy to look up. The problem is that it is all upper classmen with a sharp dropoff coming. There are really only two people that can get recruiting back on course. Urban Meyer, the other, I believe, is Jeff Traylor. I'm not sure he is as good of a coach, at this time, than Matt Campbell. I'm just not sure Matt Campbell has the recruiting chops and history to get the talent to come to Austin. Urban is the only guy that can turn the program around to a 10 win season in his first year. I could see Traylor going 8-5, 9-3, for a couple of years before getting to 10+ wins. The problem is, Texas fans are too impatient. If you can't get a GOAT, you have to have patience and be willing to sit on the cusp for a few years. Briles had some mediocre years at UH, and he would be a slam dunk candidate if not for the Baylor fiasco. Traylor could possibly "out talent" most teams early, before he becomes a bonafide great coach. 

CHIEF

2 hours ago, Pope Joan said:

Urban already told us how to do this. 

1. Hire Jeff Traylor as "Assistant AD for Football"

2. Herman ordered to report directly to Traylor 

3. Traylor takes responsibility for recruiting, training, and game planning

4. Traylor makes Yurcich and Ash responsible for their own calls

5. When Herman inevitably steps out of line, fire him for insubordination, no buyout

6. ?

7. Profit

Best post on this thread.

What kind of organizational skills does he have? Will he hire the best coordinators and assistants available? Can he put together a support staff from the ground up? I like the guy and I'm happy for his success, but we need someone can completely rebuild the infrastructure of the program. Maybe he has that skillset, but it's a stretch to draw that conclusion based off of a 7-4 record at UTSA.

3 minutes ago, TXpride said:

What kind of organizational skills does he have? Will he hire the best coordinators and assistants available? Can he put together a support staff from the ground up? I like the guy and I'm happy for his success, but we need someone can completely rebuild the infrastructure of the program. Maybe he has that skillset, but it's a stretch to draw that conclusion based off of a 7-4 record at UTSA.

yes to all questions asked

as a matter of fact his first demand to utsa was to allow him to hire the best assistant coaches not his friends like herman did

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Obviously we have a pretty damn talented group, 4th in the nation according to that stat poll I am too lazy to look up. The problem is that it is all upper classmen with a sharp dropoff coming. There are really only two people that can get recruiting back on course. Urban Meyer, the other, I believe, is Jeff Traylor. I'm not sure he is as good of a coach, at this time, than Matt Campbell. I'm just not sure Matt Campbell has the recruiting chops and history to get the talent to come to Austin. Urban is the only guy that can turn the program around to a 10 win season in his first year. I could see Traylor going 8-5, 9-3, for a couple of years before getting to 10+ wins. The problem is, Texas fans are too impatient. If you can't get a GOAT, you have to have patience and be willing to sit on the cusp for a few years. Briles had some mediocre years at UH, and he would be a slam dunk candidate if not for the Baylor fiasco. Traylor could possibly "out talent" most teams early, before he becomes a bonafide great coach. 

CHIEF

Don’t let him bring in comfort hires. Traylor is the main guy on Chuckles’ staff I wanted Herman to retain. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Two totally different things. It’d be totally idiotic to hire Traylor (now). It also is exceedingly stupid to retain Herman just because we can get Urban. If our BMDs, CDC and the admin truly think this way, we seriously should shut the program down, my donations disappear (as do thousands of others), and I won’t watch a single game next year. 

Alright ultra negative mother fucker. Who are you hiring?

Is everyone not demanding Herman be fired?  If everyone not bitching about names after Urban?

All I’m doing is bitching a little louder about suggestions that make no sense - Shanahan, Dabo, Saban, Traylor. I’ll add Cristobal, Franklin, and Fleck to the list but I believe everyone there is pretty unified. 

I’ll repeat what I said on another thread - I’d go back to Urb and offer more money. If that fails I’d go hard after Campbell and Fickell at the same time, and see which one is a better fit. Everyone would be disappointed, but they’d have us playing better than Herman. This shouldn’t be an Urban or bust thing. We’ve busted with Herman and he needed to be fired a week ago. 

Do we have evidence that HS coaches would respect Campbell or Fickell? Any relationships there? I think we've seen that does in fact matter. 

42 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Don’t let him bring in comfort hires. Traylor is the main guy on Chuckles’ staff I wanted Herman to retain. 

I would be all for keeping Ash and Yurcich, just let them do their jobs, they are better than he can probably get. Traylor's job would be glad-handing THSF coaches, running the administrative duties of a head coach and being a recruiting witch. Find a position for Carrington and Samples, then, get the best position coaches available, guys with serious skins on the wall and known for player development. It looks like that is the approach he has taken at UTSA. If Traylor ends up not working out, at least the cupboard won't be bare and would entice a better coach.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

What is it about Cristobal that people dislike so much? I realize his team just lost to Cal but he seems like a top-notch recruiter; what are the major knocks against him?

He loses games despite a huge talent discrepancy. His only success as a HC came with Herbert at QB. His 3 years at Oregon look a lot like Tom's first 3 here. Recruits will look elsewhere if the losses keep piling up. Been there, done that.

The biggest difference I see between Traylor and Herman is that he loves his players and his staff, and by all accounts they all love him, too. High school coaches want to send their players to him. He has all the likeable CEO qualities of Mack Brown but cares more about winning. That's the type of guy I want at the top. Fill the assistant ranks with stone cold killers. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They’d respect either because he’s not Herman. He’s not a smug prick and he’s got at least a 3/4-year window of surviving. 

I believe you that Campbell isn't a smug prick but neither was Strong. Until I see otherwise, anyone born in Columbus who played and coached at Ohio State is presumed a smug prick. Without serious bonafides (like UM or Jimbo) or serious charm (Mack) or at least deep Texas roots (Herman, Traylor), it will be difficult to get the difference makers that keep leaving the state. Fickell was in over his head at OSU and is a defensive guy, which is fine if he makes a good hire. But how will his defense even fare in the b12? 

Edited by B00M
To be clear I agree 100% Herman has to go or our recruiting is super fucked

34 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Re: national embarrassment, I’m not sure we could get Campbell or Fickell. I’m not sure why, if you’re Matt Campbell, why exactly you’d leave ISU ... 

because success at ISU isn't sustainable?

Re: national embarrassment, I’m not sure we could get Campbell or Fickell. I’m not sure why, if you’re Matt Campbell, why exactly you’d leave ISU and come to a dysfunctional cultural shitshow. I’m serious, I think we are our own prey enemy, and we’re poison in most coaches’ minds. 
If the 9.95 sites and guys here with BMD buddies are to be believed, Campbell can be had.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Maybe. Like success at TCU is sustainable and for 75% of the money, he can have a hell of a career, a lot of money, stability, and doesn’t have to deal with a fucking circus. If he wants to go to a bigger program, he can go to one that doesn’t have the same headaches that we do. 

Holy shit you're a beating. Urban doesn't want to coach. It is what it is. Onto the next one.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Has anyone ever tried to simply have a badass OC paired with a badass DC, and no HC?

Considering that they are somewhat mutually exclusive...why the fuck not? All our HC's just meddle and fuck up the work they do...

Mike Leach co head coach/offensive coordinator and Will Muschamp co head coach/defensive coordinator?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Urban will coach again. He doesn’t want to coach HERE. You’re not paying attention to the shitshow that we are. It doesn’t take much. Take off your colored glasses and look around. 

I mean we are a program that loses three to five games every year and is basically middle of the pack. Is that really some kind of outlier shitshow? 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Urban will coach again. He doesn’t want to coach HERE. You’re not paying attention to the shitshow that we are. It doesn’t take much. Take off your colored glasses and look around. 

So what other programs are you closely following?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

When you combine it with our expectations and our overestimation of our standing and how we can just buy basically any coach, we’re a shitshow like no other. 

I disagree we are a shitshow like no other. We have several peers such as USC, Michigan, and Nebraska.

College Football is full of fallen giants with delusions of grandeur. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Michigan corralled its name. He’s sucked the last few years but they got him. No other program has loudly boasted about imminently landing by far the two best coaches of this era only to end up with Charlie Strong and whomever we end up with whenever we do. It could be Herman. 

Sure we have those peers, and Tennessee too. But we’ve been embarrassed nationally twice now, and we’re considerably tougher for any coach to contend with.  

Our program did not loudly boast of getting two big names, media people did. I just want to mention that. It is not like our AD had a big press conference to introduce Saban and he he walked out and laughed at us. I still have no idea if the Saban thing actually happened or how far it went.

In  any case, I don't see how failing to hire big coaches is embarrassing. What is embarrassing is what we do on the football field. Most normies did not even notice the Urban or Saban rumors. The only people who care are those who are obsessed with Texas football, namely us and our haters.

I don't know why we are considerably tougher for any coach to contend with. Charlie Strong was also terrible at South Florida, is that also a tough place?

There is no reason to be all self-loathing. If we get a good football coach we will get good results. Mack Brown and Fred Akers were good for awhile but every coach regime runs out of steam eventually. The other guys not so much. It is completely normal in the lifecycle of a football program...unless you are Ohio State and just always win. I am not sure how that works but they are pretty unique.

I guess we like to think we have so many advantages and are Texas that any idiot should be able to walk in here and win championships but that is clearly not the case. We need a great coach just as much as anybody else and I think I agree that you cannot just buy that unless you get really lucky. You have to scout and find your coach just like a NFL team, it is the only area college and NFL franchises are similar.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So, 12 hours ago I would have resoundingly laughed at this idea, but I think there might be something to consider here.

Traylor's skillset as an elite high school coach who worked his way up the ranks is completely different than our last two hires, who were elite coordinators promoted one too many times. With the obvious caveat that coaching high school is nothing at all like college, I do think fans tend to undervalue the ability required to be THE MAN, which Traylor has been - at an elite (relative) level.  He's also already been on staff here so he'll know what to expect when he arrives. If he's willing to put our resources to good use and actually pursue the best coaching staff available, which previous interviews make it seem like he would, then he could be very appealing. 

That said, if Urban calls you back while he's signing the paperwork then you rip the pen out of Traylor's hand and toss him through the nearest window.

Agree with all of this. Of course Urban's the best possible hire, but of all the rest, only one stands out with the potential to be a Royal / Mack type hire, and that's Traylor. 

You want a good ol' boy who can coach. That's Traylor. That was also Mack and Royal. Hell, Traylor is even a Texan, too, and a legend in our most fertile recruiting grounds.

I don't get this idea that the job would be too big for him -- pressure is pressure, the same at Gilmer as in Austin. It doesn't matter, relatively speaking, if you are being hassled by reporters from Longview or Gilmer boosters or hacks from ESPN or our own BMDs. There are 24 hours in the day either way and the phone rings just as often and the stakes are the same for you personally if your job is at risk at the HS level or in the Big 12. 

Yes Dodge and Morris were HS coaches who failed. So was Gerry Faust, to kick it old school. Bum Phillips also a HS coach, and so were Bill Snyder, Lovie Smith, Chip Kelly, David Cutcliffe, and Dirk Koetter. 

For every type of resume, there are corresponding lists of failures and successes. Some gold-plated P5 coordinators soar and others flop; the same goes for G5 HCs stepping up and P5 coaches moving up to a more prestigious team. I may be wrong, but I think in the history of college football, only Urban and Saban have built dynasties at two programs, so if you can get a guy like that, you jump on him, obviously, but even then it's not a guarantee of success. Hell, Mack is just a shade below those guys and his last four years here were so terrible we are still digging out from the crater he left behind. You can't say with 100 percent certainty Urban wouldn't mail it in like Mack did but it's a pretty safe bet he wouldn't. 

But barring that, this program needs to find a guy like Traylor and actually commit to a five year plan. I think as a fan base we should be prepared to tank for a couple of years with the promise of a dynasty to come on the back end. We need to get back to where we were redshirting even good offensive linemen and DBs in instead of just rolling them out there and hoping for the best. I doubt we as a fan base have the patience for that, so whoever we hire is going to have to try to balance roster management with the necessity of bowl eligibility in year two (at the latest) and competing for the conference championship by year three (at the latest). I think Traylor can pull that off.

Or we can hire Fickell or Campbell and run them out of town and watch Traylor win big and poach our recruits from his gig at Baylor, TCU or even Tech, because "We're Texas" and only hire coaches with proven track records. At schools like fucking Cincinnati and Iowa State. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1