Jeff Traylor Should Starts

Eggo

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Also of note. Traylor sort of laid a drinker yesterday too.  She score was not indicative of how shitty utsa played. 
south miss didn’t have a qb.  They ran their “qb “ pretty much every play.  Didn’t even have a RB to run a option zone read .  Just qb runs.  They had a wr run the play in from the sidelines.  It was some middle school shit.  And they were able to remove the ball on UTSA.  
On the other side smiss contained the run pretty well.  
honeslty the only reason UTSA win was because smiss had so many false start and delay of game penalties.  
It was supposed to be a layup game against a 1-8 team with the biggest crowd of the season. 

eh, those are tough games. Said "QB" was Frank Gore Jr. You build a defense around shutting down various modern offenses, none of which include the flying wedge or whatever it is when its QB run every play. I recall that Baylor game when they had that Lynx Hawthorne dude at QB and we had Swoopes which was an even match, pretty much. That game was like the Somme -- total trench warfare. And then Briles had that same squad and that same offense and took down a ten or eleven win UNC team that had a month to prepare for that primitive offense. 

So here I am making excuses for Traylor. But at least it's not after losing to UCONN, Navy, or Chad Morris's SMU squad (after a certain coach had been chirping about them all week in the media.) 

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/utsa-football-coach-says-finger-looks-like-smashed-by-hammer-motivation-tactic-backfires.amp

University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) football coach Jeff Traylor hoped to motivate his team not to "eat the cheese" after back-to-back victories over Temple and the University of Alabama at Birmingham, but instead he got injured in the process.

Traylor revealed during a press conference Monday that he and his staff put out more than 100 rat traps in the team’s locker room, hoping to channel the messaging of Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells.

Jeff Traylor cheers UTSA on

UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor cheers on his team during the game against Tennessee, September 23, 2023, at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee. (Bryan Lynn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Unfortunately for him, one of his players planted a loaded trap on his podium.

"We passed out about 112 of them," Traylor said.

"We unloaded all of them, but one of my smart aleck seniors loaded his back up, put it up on the podium where I speak to the kids, and I put my hand there – yeah, it looks like my pinky got smashed by a hammer."

"It would’ve killed a lesser man, but I’m OK," he said with a laugh.

Jeff Traylor on the sideline

UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor (Carmen Mandato/Getty Images/File)

Despite the injury, Traylor’s message was well received.

Quarterback Frank Harris overcame a pick-6 and threw for 261 yards and two touchdowns to defeat Florida Atlantic, 36-10, on Saturday.

The Roadrunners are on a three-game win streak heading into this weekend’s contest against East Carolina.

Jeff Traylor on the sidelines

UTSA head coach Jeff Traylor stands on the sidelines during the game against Tennessee, September 23, 2023, in Knoxville, Tennessee. (Eakin Howard/Getty Images)

"That’s two weeks in a row that we’ve played complimentary football," Traylor said Monday. "This is the time of year for us to start showing up."

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

You can't just say "Tom Herman with a sledgehammer" without posting the gif, ffs. 

tom-herman.gif

I didn't like the Herman hire in the first place because of shit I'd seen and heard in Houston while he was at UH. Then he brought his Not Ready For P5 coaching staff with him and I thought "motherfucker!" Still, as a fan of the program, I hoped things would go better than I assumed they would.

Then, a few months later, this happens. There is no way to rationalize that as a realistic fan. That is the image of a dipshitted loser doing dipshitted loser things. What a fucking clown. He was a clown the whole way through his tenure, right up to being totally surprised when they fired his fucking ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't like the Herman hire in the first place because of shit I'd seen and heard in Houston while he was at UH. Then he brought his Not Ready For P5 coaching staff with him and I thought "motherfucker!" Still, as a fan of the program, I hoped things would go better than I assumed they would.

Then, a few months later, this happens. There is no way to rationalize that as a realistic fan. That is the image of a dipshitted loser doing dipshitted loser things. What a fucking clown. He was a clown the whole way through his tenure, right up to being totally surprised when they fired his fucking ass.

Yeah. It was not a good day. 

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Think that clattering sound you are hearing is Jeff Traylor looking for his exit out of San Antonio...

honestly that is not as bad as it looks.....it was going to be a $1.50 increase per year for each of 5 years that adds up to a lot of cash for students......students were going to go from paying $480 to $660 a year

and the reality that people ignore is UTSA (and others in Texas) transfer other academic side money in LARGE amounts besides the athletics fee and most students are not even aware of that......and in addition I am not even sure that fee increase was legal although the legislature and THECB ha done a poor job of regulating things.....there is suppose to be a $20 cap per credit hour (capped at 15 hours) for all public universities in Texas.....but as stated the G5 programs in Texas plus UH all break that by simply transferring additional academic side money anyway which is probably technically illegal and in the case of this UTSA fee unless there has been a change in the legislation it would be illegal to have a fee over $20 an hour

right now UTSA is raising $500 million for the university and they have $380 of it at the half way point and $80 of the total $500 million goal is for athletics.....of course some of that will be in "life trust" hat will not actually show up until years later or it will be "software" or "services" or "equipment" and not cold hard cash, but they should be able to fund their athletics long term some other way besides more off the backs of students and academics or they need to rethink things.....plus they have better contributions from the city and county than any program in the state including Texas (possibly excluding aggy, but who knows what goes on in college station and who fucking cares)

as for Traylor he is golden there and he is not going to jump to a dumpster fire just to jump and he should be able to compete in the AAC it is not like being Iowa State or Kansas in the Big 12

Edited by ButtFumble

24 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

there is suppose to be a $20 cap per credit hour (capped at 15 hours) for all public universities in Texas

TXST is at $22/credit hour and it doesn't appear to be capped at 15, although I would allow that could be an error by someone who simply didn't know to cut it off at 15. https://www.sbs.txst.edu/billing/rates-ug.html

44 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

it was going to be a $1.50 increase per year for each of 5 years that adds up to a lot of cash for students......students were going to go from paying $480 to $660 a year

Not trying to say thats not a lot of money to people because it is, but in the grand scheme of how expensive college has gotten overall that $180-200 more per year isn't much more than a rounding error. UTSA athletics still gonna get their money sure but current students do seem pretty tepid on throwing their monetary support behind them.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Still not convinced Traylor is a great coach.  But leaving when Harris no longer has eligibility makes sense.

Campbell was an idiot to stay at Iowa State when Purdy left for the NFL.  

I don't know.  Seems like Campbell is doing a really good job this year under tough circumstances that he did not create.  His stock is probably going up.

29 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Not trying to say thats not a lot of money to people because it is, but in the grand scheme of how expensive college has gotten overall that $180-200 more per year isn't much more than a rounding error. UTSA athletics still gonna get their money sure but current students do seem pretty tepid on throwing their monetary support behind them.

The lens as viewed from the vantage point of struggling college students is akin to those final straws on said proverbial camel's back.

2 hours ago, GJ Winne said:

TXST is at $22/credit hour and it doesn't appear to be capped at 15, although I would allow that could be an error by someone who simply didn't know to cut it off at 15. https://www.sbs.txst.edu/billing/rates-ug.html

the law may have changed, but I do not believe it has and I thought that Texas State was at the $20 mark I am pretty sure that is what they moved it to when they voted to move to D1-A

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

I agree is is not massive money, but it is per semester and every year so if you skip summer school you are looking at about $400 more a year X 4 years or $1,600 more....with summer school and the 5 year "plan" you can be looking at over $2,000 which as you say is not a lot in terms of the massive cost of higher ed now, but you have to start somewhere to keep the cost down and good luck getting rid of regular administrative bloat.....plus with the NIL now and the dorms, cafeterias, and training facilities for athletes regular students are starting to feel a disconnect....they are working hard for an education while being told those that play sports are getting "nothing".....other than a free education, free housing, free food, free medical care, some free cloths, a cool place to hang out, free tutoring.......and when you tell the regular students about all the "money athletes bring in" well some regular students are smart enough to ask "then why am I being charged for that I am just here to go to school"

it is too difficult to look up all past legislation to see if there has been a change, but Texas and the THECB (who really has no power at all to actually enforce or stop anything) have done a poor job keeping the cost to regular students for athletics in check in 2022 UH spent $48,451,950 from the academic side with $8,513,075 in student approved fees and $39,938,875 just straight transferred......north Texas state $33,326,873 with $13,251,782 in student fees and  $20,075,091 in transfers......UTSA $23,864,888 with $14,049,104 in fees and  $9,815,784 in transfers......Texas State $27,402,513 total and $18,924,463 in fees and   $8,478,050 in transfers

so if you look at UH with about 48,000 students it is costing them on average $1,000 a year to fund athletics......UTSA $685.....with north Texas state in the past you could look at the increase in their direct transfers and their student to faculty ratio going up, their number of tenured and tenure track faculty decreasing, and the number of adjuncts and lecturers teaching classes and see a direct correlation

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 4:06 PM, GJ Winne said:

His best win this year is going to be TXST, unless he can find a way to upset Tulane on the road.

Oof. Not holding up well. 1 - 3 since then.  

Sorry if this made anyone think it was news.  Bad timing I realize

Edited by Chico_SA
poor thread bump

Lulz at anyone pining for this dude. Not one notable win as a college HC and some aggy fans are actually convinced that he can take that dumpster fire to the promised land. Why? Because he killed it in HS and is a nice guy? I'd  kick CDC in the nuts if he ever thought about hiring Traylor, or any other coach at a similar stage in their career. Traylor was already my preferred choice to extend aggy misery for a few more years, but now I'm all in. If this uninspired performance is because the team caught wind of him getting the aggy job....

Funny Too Funny GIF - Funny Too Funny Laughing - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lulz at anyone pining for this dude. Not one notable win as a college HC and some aggy fans are actually convinced that he can take that dumpster fire to the promised land. 

If you've looked at Traylor's resume closely this Tulane result is far from a surprise. 

He beats really bad teams and loses to the good teams.