Solo Stove

Horn Draoi

1 hour ago, Horn Draoi said:

Any body got one of these patio/deck/backyard things?  Is it actually smokeless to very low smoke? Should this go into “Hobbies” since burning stuff is actually a hobby of sorts..........

I think believe fire pit thread in the Can You Help Me With This? Section. 

I bought a Breeo a few months before the Solo ads were everywhere. I haven’t seen one in person, but they look smaller than Breeos. Granted, the Solos are much cheaper. Their consumer reviews are pretty close. 

Breeo suggests you a build a log cabin fire and keep it hot to reduce smoke. In my experience, this works really well. Near smokeless is how I would describe it. It’s a really efficient fire, so I hope you run a fire wood business on the side. It’ll burn a bag of firewood every hour. 

Home Depot has really good products in their grill aisle to start fires. I’d recommend the tumbleweeds and the match sticks that burn for 15 minutes. As long as your wood is dry, you can have a fire in 5 minutes with those products. 

Don’t use paper, wood chips, or kindling as they add to smoke. Dryer lent is a pretty good accelerant if you’re in a pinch. 

Finally, Breeos will show some rust on the exterior. There’s a reason why it comes with a can of spray paint. Id probably get the Solo if you want a small fire. Get the Breeo if you want something larger. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

My old lady is trying to talk me into getting a Breeo for our back patio. (Of course, one of her sisters has one at their fabulous lake house in the mountains.)   

I’m hesitant to buy something we won’t use because there is exactly 30 minutes of cold weather in Houston each year, she’ll complain she can’t operate, she will say is in the way and can I move it?, she won’t like the cord wood stacked up on the side of the house and will, in the end, be “too smoky and too hot” to sit by.  

So....I’ll let you know which model we got and how much I paid.  

And when it gets shipped off to the deer camp. 

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

If you're looking for something portable to use for camping or at locations other than your backyard, the Pop-Up Pit is legit. I have burned probably over a half cord of wood on what is essentially a fold-up camp chair, and it just keeps going. It is amazing:

71y1xxVpNAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You've got to love that companies have figured out how to scale up hobo stoves and charge $500 for them. 

I can't speak to the big ones specifically- I hear they're great, but I've made coffee can hobos and have tried a couple manufactured ones while backpacking.  They do smoke while lighting, but once they get going they burn pretty clean.  I don't use them regularly for camping because It's hard to regulate the temp (they don't simmer for shit), but I suppose in a back yard pit that doesn't matter much.

Just now, TexasHooch said:

You've got to love that companies have figured out how to scale up hobo stoves and charge $500 for them. 

I can't speak to the big ones specifically- I hear they're great- but I've made coffee can hobos and have tried a couple manufactured ones while backpacking.  They do smoke while lighting, but once they get going they burn pretty clean.  I don't use them regularly for camping because It's hard to regulate the temp (they don't simmer for shit), but I suppose in a back yard pit that doesn't matter much.

If you're looking for something portable to use for camping or at locations other than your backyard, the Pop-Up Pit is legit. I have burned probably over a half cord of wood on what is essentially a fold-up camp chair, and it just keeps going. It is amazing:

71y1xxVpNAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These are on sale at rei right meow for $90.
http://www.rei.com/product/186792/fireside-outdoor-pop-up-fire-pit?CAWELAID=120217890010884016
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Worth it. Get the additional grill grate kit.

I recently took it to a buddy's ranch where we ran a rager on it non stop Friday through Sunday. That's the 3rd time I've done that, plus the occasional campfire in the backyard for my kids. The thing works flawlessly.

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What's the allure, portability?  

Exactly. It breaks down and stores in a bag that's about 24" long. Your fire burns on a stainless steel mesh panel and the grass underneath where you set it up will still be green when you leave. It's perfect for building a fire anywhere you don't want to leave a trace.

CMPCB001-5T.jpg?v-cache=1561010031

8 hours ago, deadshank said:

My old lady is trying to talk me into getting a Breeo for our back patio. (Of course, one of her sisters has one at their fabulous lake house in the mountains.)   

I’m hesitant to buy something we won’t use because there is exactly 30 minutes of cold weather in Houston each year, she’ll complain she can’t operate, she will say is in the way and can I move it?, she won’t like the cord wood stacked up on the side of the house and will, in the end, be “too smoky and too hot” to sit by.  

So....I’ll let you know which model we got and how much I paid.  

And when it gets shipped off to the deer camp. 

I read this in Thurstin Howell III’s voice.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I read this in Thurstin Howell III’s voice.  

Right-O, old chap. Reminds me of our time in the Africa campaign.  Coudn't get a decent bottle of gin anywhere.  Bloody dreadful place. Thank heavens we had our retreat in the mountains.

Say, be a good sport and pass the cucumber sandwiches would you, Coleridge?

These things are very good fire starters and safe to use for cooking fires to boot.  I bought them as a quick way to light the fire every morning when I am smoking sausage, but they were so efficient I had to stop using them.  Need a slow burning fire that smokes a lot for that and these little buggers started a roaring blaze in minutes instead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJOC2RK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What's the allure, portability?  Seems pretty basic and expensive for the backyard.  You can get something a lot nicer and bigger for that price.

There is basically no smoke.  All the benefits of a campfire without the campfire smell lingering in your clothes, hair, etc.  

6 minutes ago, swraith said:

You don’t like the Breeo product or the Breeo price ?

Breeo price. I caught a sale on the Ablaze 24, but it was still $500. They did toss the lid in for free which was nice.

I’d liken the price/quality to Yeti. Too expensive, but it works well. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 3 years later...

They make some kind of deflector rim for them that is supposed to help radiate heat out.  I know this because the wife wanted one for awhile and I looked at them.  I have successfully avoided buying one so far though.

54 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They make some kind of deflector rim for them that is supposed to help radiate heat out.  I know this because the wife wanted one for awhile and I looked at them.  I have successfully avoided buying one so far though.

I saw that on their website. They seem really happy to sell you all sort of accessories at $150 a pop.

I have the 19” Breeo, which is the same concept as the solo but made with thicker gauge steel.
I dugout about 3 inches in my yard and set it near our patio and then put pavers around it.
We get pretty good heat from it sitting around it, but I will eventually get a deflector for it. It really does a great job in spreading the heat out to a larger area.
19d40dee22147162631ee4aa8d90fd34.jpg

I use mine a bunch in the backyard.  Works good, glad I have it.  Mine sits inside a much larger steel fire pit that was too big for the size of fire I want in my yard, but makes a nice place to put the solo stove.  It was worth paying for a few years ago when it was the only product of its kind, but now that there are plenty of knockoffs available I’d have a hard time paying more for the name.  

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I have the largest size, the Yukon.  You must get the ring for underneath it to improve the airflow.  At low temps, it's not remotely smokeless but when the fire is a screaming inferno, it's virtually smokeless as advertised.  

Breeo, but this. Has to be a very hot, large fire for it to be smokeless. It also needs to be enclosed in a backyard with very little to no wind. Not sure how they get away with the smokeless tag. Solo, Breeo, whatever will never be smokeless in a flat, wide open spot