Matt Campbell or bust

Bevo14

58 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not sure why Campbell would risk his career progression on us. We are simply too much of a circus to be anything close to the top job many of y’all think we are. 

I don’t know, I think he likes money. And these coaches have such a big ego, that I’m she’s he thinks he could get the most out of this program. He would take the job if offered. 

30 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

i don't see muschamp taking a dc role here under ANYONE much less traylor . imho

Fuck it, keep Ash then. But I don't remember Muschamp leaving on bad terms. We gave him the HCIW title, which was fucking stupid, but probably helped him land the Florida job.

47 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Agree. Campbell has shown he can evaluate and develop lunch pale types. He's also had some wtf losses/near losses, and tends to play up/down to the competition. Sound familiar? He'd probably get us an extra win each year just by avoiding bonehead 4th down decisions, but I don't think he's that much of an upgrade.

I'm at the point where if we can't get Urban, just give Jeff Traylor an Orgeron contract and money whip Chad Morris and Muschamp. I feel like that has a higher ceiling than any of our other options.

Campbell not calling timeout in the biggest moment of his coaching career is as bad as anything Herman's done. Campbell choked as bad as a coach can, no one on his offense had a fucking clue what they were doing with the clock winding down and Campbell froze.

16 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

They've also been signing top 25ish classes. Kinda surprised at the last few years actually.

I think Patterson may have become a little complacent.  He always seems to be a bit neglectful of offense, so his fortune rises and falls on his OC and his QB.

Also, I'm going to harp on my new idea and that is that dealing with pre-madonna 4 and 5 star athletes takes a different frame of mind than coaching up hungry, rejected, anxious-to-prove themselves "lesser talents."  Patterson seems to thrive in the latter player environment and there are a few signs that he doesn't deal with the "big talents" as well, or is less capable of dealing with inflated egos.

Campbell not calling timeout in the biggest moment of his coaching career is as bad as anything Herman's done. Campbell choked as bad as a coach can, no one on his offense had a fucking clue what they were doing with the clock winding down and Campbell froze.
That's really not that big a deal. It was for this game but his future as a coach? Nah. If he was 60 with 20 years as a head coach, that is also different. Did he learn his lesson to not repeat it again? Remains to be seen.

Saban had a missed field goal returned for a TD as time expired. His offenses used to be plodders. He tried a fake punt in a championship game from his own 20. He must suck.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Definitely true. It was bad and some if not most of that is on coaching.

That's the first really huge breakdown I've seen his team have, though. It's not a pattern. I'm not going to drag him for it too badly. His teams are generally very well coached and they execute. One bad series doesn't negate five years of that.

RomaVicta has a good point though. There are dozens of schools churning hundreds of coaches trying to find the elusive perennial 2 loss or better team they think they deserve. And as of today there are four of those out of 100+ teams. Five if we count Urban. The odds are bad no matter who we go after.

Screw it. Let's double the offer to Urban. If he refuses, put a horse head in his bed.

First semi-logical post you’ve made in this thread.  Must have sobered up?  BTW...you were more fun when you were drunk. And don’t ever let anyone tell you differently

Yeah, the long and the short of it is that there are a handful of guys who are potentially...possible...maybe the next coming of Jesus-ish guys if given UT’s resources and yada yada yada.

Matt Campbell is one of them. Fickell, Hardin, Napier, Franklin, Allen, O’Brien etc...all one of them. And all are probably guaranteed to get maybe one more win than Fuck You Tom Herman?  And that’s a big maybe. None are guaranteed or way better than the next.  So here we are.

And then there’s the big three. And one isn’t coaching right now. Get him. Or if we can’t...fuck if I know

I doubt Campbell would take this job unless he's offered massive amounts of money. Having basically the entire top 20 recruits in Texas telling the flagship University of the state to go fuck itself it means you have an optics problem pretty bad. I don't know how you reverse that other than landing a coaching whale which you tried but Ahab'd but I know Matt Campbell isn't the answer. And I'm pretty sure Matt Campbell knows he's not the answer to that cluster fuck as well

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

First semi-logical post you’ve made in this thread.  Must have sobered up?  BTW...you were more fun when you were drunk. And don’t ever let anyone tell you differently
Yeah, the long and the short of it is that there are a handful of guys who are potentially...possible...maybe the next coming of Jesus-ish guys if given UT’s resources and yada yada yada.
Matt Campbell is one of them. Fickell, Hardin, Napier, Franklin, Allen, O’Brien etc...all one of them. And all are probably guaranteed to get maybe one more win than Fuck You Tom Herman?  And that’s a big maybe. None are guaranteed or way better than the next.  So here we are.
And then there’s the big three. And one isn’t coaching right now. Get him. Or if we can’t...fuck if I know

I was stone sober when you were riding my nuts yesterday. But I'm glad you've decided to put some effort in today. Good job.

I have a bloody mary right now though, in case you were wondering.

Agree. Campbell has shown he can evaluate and develop lunch pale types. He's also had some wtf losses/near losses, and tends to play up/down to the competition. Sound familiar? He'd probably get us an extra win each year just by avoiding bonehead 4th down decisions, but I don't think he's that much of an upgrade.
I'm at the point where if we can't get Urban, just give Jeff Traylor an Orgeron contract and money whip Chad Morris and Muschamp. I feel like that has a higher ceiling than any of our other options.
Not going after Campbell because we're not sure if he can handle the spotlight, but hiring Traylor instead might be my favorite take on this whole thread.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I doubt Campbell would take this job unless he's offered massive amounts of money. Having basically the entire top 20 recruits in Texas telling the flagship University of the state to go fuck itself it means you have an optics problem pretty bad. I don't know how you reverse that other than landing a coaching whale which you tried but Ahab'd but I know Matt Campbell isn't the answer. And I'm pretty sure Matt Campbell knows he's not the answer to that cluster fuck as well

This is unfortunately 100% accurate.  Sadly

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
1 hour ago, TXpride said:

Not going after Campbell because we're not sure if he can handle the spotlight, but hiring Traylor instead might be my favorite take on this whole thread.

Dude.  Seriously?  The "hire Traylor" thing is just "fuck it...let's try something different" for pretty much no money. It's not anyone comparing the two.

At first I thought you were just young and naive...we've all been there. Then I thought you were just drunk...also all been there. Now you just seem dumb.

Have some more bloodies, buddy.

• Like 1

Dude.  Seriously?  The "hire Traylor" thing is just "fuck it...let's try something different" for pretty much no money. It's not anyone comparing the two.
At first I thought you were just young and naive...we've all been there. Then I thought you were just drunk...also all been there. Now you just seem dumb.
"Matt Campbell isn't our standard!"

also

"Let's hire the UTSA guy"

Haha. You're an idiot. Go away.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Traylor would be like hiring McWilliams after one winning season at Tech.  holy shit talk about putting it all on "00".  I know the guy can recruit but we already did the hit it and hope bullshit.

Traylor would be like hiring McWilliams after one winning season at Tech.  holy shit talk about putting it all on "00".  I know the guy can recruit but we already did the hit it and hope bullshit.
You're missing his point. 7 wins in conference USA is actually more impressive than 9/10 in the Big 12.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not sure why he needs to leave this year. But yes, NFL, Michigan, USC, Nebraska. 

Well if we offered him this year I don't think he would turn it down because he's waiting for something else in a future year. I think Michigan just extended Harbaugh and I doubt USC will be able to get rid of Helton this year. Not sure he would even leave Iowa State for corn aggy. The NFL is honestly the most likely option out of those.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Maybe. But I don’t think so. He’s got other opportunities in front of him. 

None that are even remotely as good as this job. Auburn isn’t a better job. Michigan isn’t a better job. What other openings are we going to see? Maybe I’m just drawing a blank. He’d take this job before we said “Matt, we’d like to offer you..”

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Another thing in regards to the expectations. You’re getting everyone’s best game when you’re at Texas. They’re hyped as shit to play the team that didn’t recruit them. Teams probably want to curb stomp us more than any other team in the big 12. Teams can fall into a trap and sleep walk during a game against Iowa state. It’s hard to get hyped up for an 11am game in Ames, Iowa. He’s gonna come here and be like “why does it seem like everyone is playing harder against us. These are the same teams. I never dealt with this at Iowa state”.

Good lord dude. Put down the pipe.  You sound as obnoxious as a Dallas Cowboys fan, stuck living in the past. 

We. Are. A. Joke. We have been for 10 years. These kids don’t get any more amped us for us than they do any other middling team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

Good lord dude. Put down the pipe.  You sound as obnoxious as a Dallas Cowboys fan, stuck living in the past. 

We. Are. A. Joke. We have been for 10 years. These kids don’t get any more amped us for us than they do any other middling team. 

Yet you get guys like Byrd and Caleb Williams still doing the Horns down.  Iowa St fans wearing shirts that reference us.  Yeah, beating us may  be easy, but it's still important.

7 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Believe what you want, but everyone still gets amped up to play us. We will never “sneak up” on anyone. Kids still want to come here, and the recruiting shows that. But hey man, believe what you want to believe. I bet you don’t think kids get amped up to play USC either, do you lol? 

Also, I’m probably the most pessimistic, jaded cowboys fan in the world. I will never be an obnoxious cowboys fan until we win again, and I doubt that ever happens.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"Matt Campbell isn't our standard!"

also

"Let's hire the UTSA guy"

Haha. You're an idiot. Go away.

19 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You're missing his point. 7 wins in conference USA is actually more impressive than 9/10 in the Big 12.

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

So does adjusting for program matter or does it not? Pretty inconsistent take. 

So does adjusting for program matter or does it not? Pretty inconsistent take. 

Yes, it is I with the inconsistent take, not the crowd that thinks a proven successful coach in the Big 12 is a bad option then suggests a coach with one year of NCAA experience in CUSA. Fuck outta here with that.

Wrong.

Dude just recently committed to the aggies. Did the Horns down. Dudes put us in their top 5 when there's no offer.

Iowa State's post game behavior on the field and the 5 star culture vs. 5 star roster also say otherwise.

I live in another Big 12 city. They treat Texas differently. If things go poorly for Texas, they talk trash. If they're going well, still talk trash.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Wrong.

Dude just recently committed to the aggies. Did the Horns down. Dudes put us in their top 5 when there's no offer.

Iowa State's post game behavior on the field and the 5 star culture vs. 5 star roster also say otherwise.

I live in another Big 12 city. They treat Texas differently. If things go poorly for Texas, they talk trash. If they're going well, still talk trash.

There’s no point in even responding to that ridiculous take. It couldn’t be further from the truth. Anyone with common sense knows that teams get amped up to play us. The vast majority of kids in the big 12 are from Texas. So there’s a good chance you grew up as either a Longhorns fan or an aggy fan. If you were a horns fan and you didn’t even get a look, you’re going to have a chip on your shoulder and you’re going to want to prove us wrong. If you grew up an aggy fan, well that’s self explanatory.

2 red flags about Campbell;
-he surrounds himself with his buddies just like mensa instead of the best. (see his shittastic offensive coordinator)
-his gameday decisions are just as bad as mensa's.

Does he know to put the best on the field or does he rotate out top guys for jags? Does he find something that works and stop doing it for no reason?

Just now, Had Enough said:
33 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
Well Georgia wasn’t because they just got left out of the playoffs. Nobody would be in that scenario. 

Explain how we could possibly beat OSU in the 2009 Fiesta Bowl?

'08 pom was possibly the hottest of all-time and their sex-power was worth +4.5 in all road games

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
40 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
Well Georgia wasn’t because they just got left out of the playoffs. Nobody would be in that scenario. 

Explain how we could possibly beat OSU in the 2009 Fiesta Bowl?

We were a lot better than them. A lot better. And we squeaked by if I remember correctly. But hand up, maybe I don’t remember correctly and I’m sure as shit not going to look it up. Georgia was pretty overrated the year we beat them too. A lot of sec sec bias.  Jake Fromm might be the most overrated qb in the history of college football. How he forced Justin fields hand and made him transfer is beyond me. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Just now, Had Enough said:

I do remember being disappointed we did not dismantle OSU. We scored late to win.

We dominated UGA.

The only indication they gave they weren't wanting to be there was the on field performance.

Guess that's why OU beat our butts by 50. We didn't want to be there.

So you’re really comparing your original scenario to a team playing their biggest rival in a regular season game with the big 12 still on the line? I don’t really know how to respond to that. It’s such an apples to oranges comparison that I guess I’m just going to let that opinion sit...

So you’re really comparing your original scenario to a team playing their biggest rival in a regular season game with the big 12 still on the line? I don’t really know how to respond to that. It’s such an apples to oranges comparison that I guess I’m just going to let that opinion sit...
Not really making that comparison. Just seeing if it made me feel better about the butt kicking. It didn't.

The didn't want to be there can never be proven. In victory or defeat, I'm just not a fan of it being used.

Rivalry or not losing by 50. It does feel like you weren't interested in being there.

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Not really making that comparison. Just seeing if it made me feel better about the butt kicking. It didn't.

The didn't want to be there can never be proven. In victory or defeat, I'm just not a fan of it being used.

Rivalry or not losing by 50. It does feel like you weren't interested in being there.

I don’t think I’m in the minority on this one, but now that the playoffs are a thing, all the other bowls are meaningless exhibition games. We’ve been down for such a long time and we were playing a team in the top 5. Georgia just got left at the altar when they felt like they got robbed out of a chance to play for a national title. Plus they were playing a team they probably thought they could give a B effort against and win (that’s just my opinion. No way to prove that). I think it’s reasonable to assume we were a lot more hyped up to play that game. Plus, Herman tends to get his teams amped up to play in games like that for whatever reason. Just my opinion. Don’t mean to derail this thread. Let’s get back to Matt Campbell getting us back to being consistently 9-4.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Horndog said:

If I remember right,  OSU played slow- down ball control all night with Beanie Wells. I think every Texas possession started inside our 25.

Beanie was having a great game until early in the fourth when he got stuffed by Muckelroy, limped off the field, and didn't play another snap.  

On 12/19/2020 at 2:49 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

I was out after watching him act like a fucking clown wanting that offsides penalty when he was dead ass wrong about the call. No contact. No flinch by the offense.. No snap. No offsides.  STFU

One little ref gets yelled at and everybody freaks out. It was silly but if you gotta nitpick that much he's a pretty damn good candidate. The opposite extreme is Mensa who spreads his cheeks for the refs. Also, if he's elevated the program enough that it seems like he's underachieving by winning 8 games at Iowa fuckin State in our own P5 conference then he's a pretty damn good candidate.

I don't know who their other two OOC games were precovid but I assume it was Iowa and some G5 or FCS opponent, so they probably would've gone 9-3 or 10-2 in a normal season.

Also, when I've watched them play they just look like a well-coached team. I'd like to see what he could do on offense with Bijan, Ja'Tavion Sanders, and Jared Wiley, (and Sam?)

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

One little ref gets yelled at and everybody freaks out. It was silly but if you gotta nitpick that much he's a pretty damn good candidate. The opposite extreme is Mensa who spreads his cheeks for the refs. Also, if he's elevated the program enough that it seems like he's underachieving by winning 8 games at Iowa fuckin State in our own P5 conference then he's a pretty damn good candidate.

I don't know who their other two OOC games were precovid but I assume it was Iowa and some G5 or FCS opponent, so they probably would've gone 9-3 or 10-2 in a normal season.

Also, when I've watched them play they just look like a well-coached team. I'd like to see what he could do on offense with Bijan, Ja'Tavion Sanders, and Jared Wiley, (and Sam?)

*At least in an alternate universe where the BDE event doesn't occur.

Edited by Bevo14