Matt Campbell or bust

Bevo14

57 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We did. He said no.

It's easier said than done. Campbell is, by a huge margin, the best of the options outside of wing-and-prayer types like Urban Mullen or Saban.

You lose a lot of credibility when you mention Mullen in the same sentence as Urban and Saban

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Or the other part where MC is somehow by a "huge margin" the best coach outside of that. 

Do you have any actual content to throw out to dispute what me saying that? Or are you just here to throw out hot takes like comparing records between an all-time Blueblood college football program and one of the worst programs in college football?

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah that too.

Imagine talking about other people's credibility when you say something like "Matt Campbell has had one good year at Iowa State". 

I'm going to have to recommend that you watch more football, son.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Do you have any actual content to throw out to dispute what me saying that? Or are you just here to throw out hot takes like comparing records between an all-time Blueblood college football program and one of the worst programs in college football?

My content is that this thread is a joke and the discussion is concerning and beneath a program of Texas' stature. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, ztejas said:

My content is that this thread is a joke and the discussion is concerning and beneath a program of Texas' stature. 

Agreed. We should keep conversations like these to people that actually watch and understand how college football works. Not people who say things like

- A coach who has three eight win seasons at historically awful Iowa State in five years has had "one good year"

- Matt Campbell should have a better record at Iowa State than Herman has at The University of Texas

Because believe it or not people outside of our little bubble read this board and ya'll are embarrassing the fuck out of us with those hot takes.

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yes. He’d lose at least a game a year that he has no business losing. Look at his history esp vs lesser opponents like UNI, Drake, ULL, NIU over and over ... hell, the entire 2019 season was one gaffe after another with clock management so bad that Charlie Strong laughed at it.

The more important question is would he be able to get Heacock to come with him and for how long? Without Heacock he’s a downgrade.

Herman isn’t the bar. Matt Campbell is not and should not be our standard. 

Besides Urban Meyer and coaches with jobs who aren't leaving, who is?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Mullen is just as unrealistic as Urban or Saban. Other than that I have no idea what point you think you've made.

The fact that you like to talk out your ass with these broad sweeping extreme claims like a teenage girl a lot. Even in this very response. No, Mullen isn’t “as unrealistic” as Saban or Urban.  And no Campbell isn’t the best “by a large margin”.  Exaggerating every point you’re trying to make doesn’t make your arguments more compelling, son

36 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Patterson would do better here than Campbell would. At least he’s coached and won a handful of big games in his coaching career. I say that and I don’t want either. We should be better than that 

Yeah that Fatterson has been one hell of a coach recently...     SMDH

2016 TCU 6–7 4–5 5th L Liberty    
2017 TCU 11–3 7–2 2nd W Alamo 9 9
2018 TCU 7–6 4–5 T–5th W Cheez-It    
2019 TCU 5–7 3–6 T–7th      
2020 TCU 6–4 5–4 6th      
TCU

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

No, Mullen isn’t “as unrealistic” as Saban or Urban.  

Link? Source? Because we know that Urban has had conversations with Texas. Everything we've heard re:Mullen is that he's not a realistic option. At this point, from what we know, we have a better shot at Meyer than Mullen.

And no Campbell isn’t the best “by a large margin”.  Exaggerating every point you’re trying to make doesn’t make your arguments more compelling, son

Are you here to cry about me being mean to you, or actually talk football? Who do you like better and why? Try to keep up.

Edited by BradInATX

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2019 TCU 5–7 3–6 T–7th      
2020 TCU 6–4 5–4 6th      
TCU

They've also been signing top 25ish classes. Kinda surprised at the last few years actually.

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2019 TCU 5–7 3–6 T–7th      
2020 TCU 6–4 5–4 6th      
TCU

He's grown fat off of kickbacks and slush funds. Put him up in a townhouse in Dove Springs and make him and his staff earn their pay every week. We'd win 13 games every year. 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Link? Source? Because we know that Urban has had conversations with Texas. Everything we've heard re:Mullen is that he's not a realistic option. At this point, from what we know, we have a better shot at Meyer than Mullen.

Are you here to cry and be a titty baby because I'm mean to you, or actually talk football? Who do you like better and why? Try to keep up.

You’re seriously asking for a link/source for an opinion?

Your mom’s calling you for dinner.  Better head upstairs

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's grown fat off of kickbacks and slush funds. Put him up in a townhouse in Dove Springs and make him and his staff earn their pay every week. We'd win 13 games every year. 

Dove Springs is like the wimpiest "bad part of town" of any major city in the US. 

But yeah, he's a good coach that has gotten complacent. Kinda like Mack towards the end of his tenure here. Maybe he needs a change of scenery but I want no part of that. There's a reason he hasn't gotten a big time job. 

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2019 TCU 5–7 3–6 T–7th      
2020 TCU 6–4 5–4 6th      
TCU

That’s generally what happens when you stay at the same place for as long as he has. See Mack brown and countless other examples of good coaches that eventually “lost it” at their school. Maybe they get too comfortable and lose their edge, who knows. But when they get fired they can get it back if they’re actually a good coach 

Seems like a lot of people are forgetting we backed our way into the Big 12 ccg 2018. We needed the hillbillies to shit the cot against Okie Lite. TCU, Baylor, and now ISU went in on winning streaks controlling their own destiny. We lost four games that year including fucking Maryland (again).  The Campbell - Herman comparisons are stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

he'd basically be Mack Brown.  i'd kill for that right now.  and so would you.  better than the shit we've suffered through. 

1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st (South) L Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st (South) W Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South)^ W Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd (South) W Rose 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st (South) W Rose 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd (South) W Holiday 10 10
2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st (South)^ W Fiesta 3 4
2009 Texas 13–1 8–0 1st (South) L BCS NCG 2 2

and don't give me this "we should be like Alabama or OU or Clemson playing for national titles every year."  we haven't been like except for a few brief runs during Mack and DKR's tenures.

Oh we'd all kill for that, yes. 

But I don't see the similarity to Mack. Mack was 10-2 and 10-1 in '96 & '97 before coming to Texas and was getting sick talent to go to UNC, pumping out high NFL draft picks at a basketball school. Mack was as good a recruiter as there was and that's what got him over the top here. It seems like after the national title he kind of expected the program to recruit itself, but in the 90s and most of the 00s he was an absolute recruiting witch at two schools. 

Maybe Campbell could flourish as a recruiter at a different program, but that's an unknown - Mack had already proven it. 

To your point, yeah I think Campbell is probably a better coach than Herman, but I'm not sure how much better he'd be, and I have no idea what kind of talent he'd lure. 

the saddest thing about this thread is that Matt Campbell wouldn't take this job if offered.  he wouldn't come here.  he's waiting for a better job.  he doesn't want to inherit this circus and the unrealistic (and unjustified) expectations.

this thread is the equivalent of a bunch of internet dorks yelling that some actress is too fat and you wouldn't hook up with her (i.e., Lily from AT&T), knowing full well she would never give your ass the time day.

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

the saddest thing about this thread is that Matt Campbell wouldn't take this job if offered.  he wouldn't come here.  he's waiting for a better job.  he doesn't want to inherit this circus and the unrealistic (and unjustified) expectations.

this thread is the equivalent of a bunch of internet dorks yelling that some actress is too fat and you wouldn't hook up with her (i.e., Lily from AT&T), knowing full well she would never give your ass the time day.

What are the unrealistic and unjustified expectations you speak of?  

19 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

The classic nobody wants the Texas job post. Unlimited resources, sitting in a recruiting hotbed, top notch academics, and 5 mill just for showing the fuck up. Former NFL & national championship coaches literally saying they’d consider Texas, and a couple other schools but yeah ok

3 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

I don't understand the comparison to Herman. Louisiana is the only team he's lost to that has distinctly less talent. I feel like he's a 10 win avg minimum type of coach if he comes here. He's playing the same competition we're playing and doing better. Actually their schedule is tougher on paper because they have to play us as well. He has had a bunch of star players that were nobody recruits.

He's not perfect but there's very few coaches that have a better resume that we can get. There's Urban, Brian Kelly, and who else exactly?

Sonny Dykes? Brent Venables? We keep insisting on a "big name," but Bob Stoops, Lincoln Riley, Mack Brown, Darrell Royal...none of those were "big names."

22 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What are the unrealistic and unjustified expectations you speak of?  

Finishing top 2 in the *checks notes* big 12 most years.  Winning the conference championship game every once in awhile.  I'm afraid the strain is more than most people can bear.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Finishing top 2 in the *checks notes* big 12 most years.  Winning the conference championship game every once in awhile.  I'm afraid the strain is more than most people can bear.

That is my point.  All this talk of how the expectations at UT are unrealistic are total BS.  Nobody is sitting here expecting a coach to go undefeated every year, win the conference every year and win a National Title every year.  It's more like beat the teams you are supposed to beat every year which should lead to 1-2 loss seasons max every year.  Beat your rival, OU, at least half the time, win the Big 12 every 3 years or so and be in the talks for the playoffs.  Basically, we should be very similar to OU minus the getting ass raped when you get in the playoffs part.  What's funny is the expectations I just gave are pretty much the expectations at most large state universities like Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, OU, Michigan, Penn State, etc...

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why? Seems like a Tom Herman/Charlie Strong clone. A guy who can sneak up and beat some really good teams to look really good but every year has head scratching losses and we will be spinning our wheels again. 

You just never fucking know. I was good with Strong's hire and enthusiastic about Herman. Other guys we chose not to pursue have all gone down in flames at other places. It's a maddening crap shoot.

Like the post above yours, I'm beginning to lose interest. I've been a Longhorn die hard through other lean years. I've found players to really like or some aspect of our play to get excited about. Now...it's just changed. College drifts closer to being pro ball. They'll lose me if it does.

Bottom line: Where's the fun?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That is my point.  All this talk of how the expectations at UT are unrealistic are total BS.  Nobody is sitting here expecting a coach to go undefeated every year, win the conference every year and win a National Title every year.  It's more like beat the teams you are supposed to beat every year which should lead to 1-2 loss seasons max every year.  Beat your rival, OU, at least half the time, win the Big 12 every 3 years or so and be in the talks for the playoffs.  Basically, we should be very similar to OU minus the getting ass raped when you get in the playoffs part.  What's funny is the expectations I just gave are pretty much the expectations at most large state universities like Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, OU, Michigan, Penn State, etc...

We should be in the big 12 championship every year, and be in the mix for a BCS bowl at the very least every single year. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be the teams in bold every single year. We have such a big advantage over every team in this conference, including OU. 

I haven't read this entire thread, and I'm not going to.  I'll just say this  -  With about a minute left ISU had the ball about 35 yards away from a TD to win the Big 12.  With the game and conference championship on the line, they then did the following:

• False start
  • False start
  • Total confusion getting the next play and formation called, leading to a 
  • Rushed snap to beat the play clock (rather than take a timeout), all ending in a 
  • Fucked up play and a throw-it-up-in-the-air interception to end the game

If Texas did what ISU did, we would be screaming about lack of preparation and bad coaching. 

I haven't read this entire thread, and I'm not going to.  I'll just say this  -  With about a minute left ISU had the ball about 35 yards away from a TD to win the Big 12.  With the game and conference championship on the line, they then did the following:
  • False start
  • False start
  • Rushed snap to beat the play clock (rather than take a timeout), all ending in a 
If Texas did what ISU did, we would be screaming about lack of preparation and bad coaching. 

Definitely true. It was bad and some if not most of that is on coaching.

That's the first really huge breakdown I've seen his team have, though. It's not a pattern. I'm not going to drag him for it too badly. His teams are generally very well coached and they execute. One bad series doesn't negate five years of that.

RomaVicta has a good point though. There are dozens of schools churning hundreds of coaches trying to find the elusive perennial 2 loss or better team they think they deserve. And as of today there are four of those out of 100+ teams. Five if we count Urban. The odds are bad no matter who we go after.

Screw it. Let's double the offer to Urban. If he refuses, put a horse head in his bed.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Horndog said:

• False start
  • False start

I like Campbell but that was definitely a "lights are too bright" sequence. False starts aren't as much his fault though and I'm giving him a pass just because ISU isn't used to big moments like that and it's the first time he's had a situation that big too. You see stuff like that all the time from underdogs. And like someone else said, it's not a pattern with him to my knowledge.

Not ideal but he's a young coach, just gotta learn from it.

35 minutes ago, 1972jmhwhm said:

Sonny Dykes? Brent Venables? We keep insisting on a "big name," but Bob Stoops, Lincoln Riley, Mack Brown, Darrell Royal...none of those were "big names."

Riley and Mack were both pretty big names that could have gone to coach almost anywhere.

Didn't Stoops win a title as a DC? That opens a lot of doors. 

DKR was from a completely different era. No sense bringing him up.

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Seems like a lot of people are forgetting we backed our way into the Big 12 ccg 2018. We needed the hillbillies to shit the cot against Okie Lite. TCU, Baylor, and now ISU went in on winning streaks controlling their own destiny. We lost four games that year including fucking Maryland (again).  The Campbell - Herman comparisons are stupid. 

So what exactly has Campbell accomplished? He has zero pressure at Iowa St. Just getting to the conference title game is like winning the national title for them. He is a feel good story there. Like Herman and Strong were when they were at their previous jobs. Comparing Herman to Campbell is spot on and perfect for me. Both guys beat OU and can look good at times. And shit the bed in games they absolutely should not lose. Campbell is different and not Herman and that is the only positive. He is not an upgrade at all. He would do nothing different than Herman.

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You just never fucking know. I was good with Strong's hire and enthusiastic about Herman. Other guys we chose not to pursue have all gone down in flames at other places. It's a maddening crap shoot.

Like the post above yours, I'm beginning to lose interest. I've been a Longhorn die hard through other lean years. I've found players to really like or some aspect of our play to get excited about. Now...it's just changed. College drifts closer to being pro ball. They'll lose me if it does.

Bottom line: Where's the fun?

CFB is losing its parity and oddly enough, I think it’s because social media and more talent spread throughout programs. 

National Champions from 2000 - 2009

Miami, Ohio State, LSU (& USC kinda), USC, Texas, Florida, LSU, Florida, Bama, Aub

National Champions from 2010 - 2019

Aub, Bama, Bama, Fla St, Ohio St, Bama, Clem, Bama, Clem, LSU

Bama & Clem been in the playoffs every year except one I think. tOSU every year except 2.  blOU was in 3 straight & just won the Big 12 for 6th straight year. Honestly, CFB just sucks right now and maybe it’s just my jaded view because Texas has sucked but I’m simply not as invested as I once was. 

• Hook 'Em 2