2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

Woj article..... Nothing much new except for the little nugget that the Celtics made an offer on Kawhi at the deadline.  I'm going to guess it was a pretty shitty offer as we didn't even entertain or engage in discussions.  Not even like a..... what would you think about..... But he does recognize the Celtics are in a different place after the playoffs and probably wouldn't be a great spot anymore because they may not attach their best young players anymore if Kawhi said he wants out.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770525/what-next-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-nba-free-agency-trades

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Woj article..... Nothing much new except for the little nugget that the Celtics made an offer on Kawhi at the deadline.  I'm going to guess it was a pretty shitty offer as we didn't even entertain or engage in discussions.  Not even like a..... what would you think about..... But he does recognize the Celtics are in a different place after the playoffs and probably wouldn't be a great spot anymore because they may not attach their best young players anymore if Kawhi said he wants out.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23770525/what-next-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-nba-free-agency-trades

Most poignant sentence in that article:

To broker a future with Leonard, it won't be with his agent, or his uncle. It'll be Popovich and Leonard -- or it probably won't happen.

Reminder of who's advising Kawhi and representing him..... There's always an uncle.

https://clutchpoints.com/spurs-news-kawhi-leonards-uncle-sued-by-former-agent-brian-elfus/

A former player agent for  San Antonio Spurs star forward Kawhi Leonard recently filed a complaint in a Florida federal court on Monday, suing the former agency for which he worked under for allegedly withholding payment on earned commissions he claims he’s owed, including a commission on a massive $94.3 million contract, which he negotiated for Leonard, his former client, in 2015, according to a dual report by ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Michael C. Wright.

Leonard’ former agent, Brian Elfus is suing Impact Sports Basketball LLC along with owner Mitchell Frankel (Leonard’s uncle), Impact — A Sports Management Corp., and the company that bought out all Impact-branded sports agencies in 2016, J&S Sports Funding LLC, plus affiliated subsidiaries.

Elfus is seeking up to $5 million in damages against the three separate entities and its subsidiaries for allegedly failing to pay him commissions from Leonard and other clients.

Leonard had hired Elfus in 2011 as he left San Diego State and declared for the NBA Draft. Following a four-year rookie deal with the Spurs worth $8.3 million after being selected with the 15th overall pick, Elfus negotiated a five-year, $94.3 million deal for Leonard in 2015, which is still vigent.

Elfus represented Leonard until 2016, as the Spurs star was later represented by a group led by Frankel.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

22 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

He's also never played for a coach that had 5 skins in the wall.   Lue, blatt, the Miami guy and Mike brown were all rookie coaches. 

Was that by choice? If so, I can't imagine that he would be willing to submit to someone like Popovich.

I seem to recall some stories about LeBron's first year in Miami that he was trying to convince Riley to push out Spo and take over as HC when the Heatles struggled out of the gate.  I think he would be fine with following a coach who has the rep to back up an imposition of structure.    

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, F250 said:

Was that by choice? If so, I can't imagine that he would be willing to submit to someone like Popovich.

That's a good point.  We'll never know unless it happens though. I don't know how much  LeBron talks with the past greats, but you'd think guys like magic,  jordan, kobe and Duncan could tell him how important a good coach and trusting  them is.  

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

If you're the Spurs, what type of player would start the discussion for a Kawhi trade? Embiid?

If I'm forced to trade a star, I want as close to a star as I can get. Don't give me a bunch of "good pieces and picks"

We won't get fair value for him but basically you probably want 2-3 players and a lottery pick..... Lynch pin is probably a good young player under 25/26.  Before the playoffs, I wanted a package revolving around Jayson Tatum but doubt the Celtics do that anymore but something like that.

The problem on this is the Lakers assets are great.  Ingram hasn't been great, Spurs won't entertain the Ball non-sense.  So who besides Kuzma, who would you take?  I'm going to guess the Lakers offer Kuzma/Ingram and pick.  I think the Spurs will explore trading him to whoever comes with the best package.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We won't get fair value for him but basically you probably want 2-3 players and a lottery pick..... Lynch pin is probably a good young player under 25/26.  Before the playoffs, I wanted a package revolving around Jayson Tatum but doubt the Celtics do that anymore but something like that.

I bet you're right. Boston has the picks and someone like Jaylen Brown to start talks.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The problem on this is the Lakers assets are great.  Ingram hasn't been great, Spurs won't entertain the Ball non-sense.  So who besides Kuzma, who would you take?  I'm going to guess the Lakers offer Kuzma/Ingram and pick.  I think the Spurs will explore trading him to whoever comes with the best package.

This is kind of shitty of Kawhi. If he refuses to sign an extension or be forthcoming with his medicals, no one will trade for him. He could just walk next year.

Just now, PilotsError said:

Fuck him.

We're now headed for the wilderness.

I mean, we're still a playoff team with LMA and some surrounding pieces, but we're not a championship contender...... that sucks.  We'll need to knock this current draft pick out of the park and go another direction.  A direction we haven't had to worry about for over 30 years and that's without a foundation player.  We'll have to figure out how to trade for one, develop one, sign one or draft one.

Sucks, because we did draft one in the middle of the first and it feels like he's being led by the wrong types, but he's a man and has to be accountable for his decisions.

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

This is kind of shitty of Kawhi. If he refuses to sign an extension or be forthcoming with his medicals, no one will trade for him. He could just walk next year.

We'll need more information but sounds like Kawhi is comfortable forgoing the supermax this summer.  Remember, PG was all but delivered to the Lakers and OKC traded for him, hoping to convince him to stay.  Another team may be willing to do the same.  They'll need good assets though.

Fixed.

Fuck him if this is true.  Fuck him 100%. Bury him in Charlotte, Sacramento, or post-LeBron Cleveland.  So frustrating - I thought he was the next guy up after Tim.  How can it degrade so fast, and with so little apparent communications from him.  Fucking A if you have an issue, talk about it w/ Pop, jesus!

Wonder if the Lakers (and perhaps Clippers) have been fed positive medical info the Spurs haven't. If so, that's pretty underhanded.

Regardless, if a guy really doesn't want to play for you, and he's a year away from walking, you have to play the hand you've been dealt. Realistically, this turn of events isn't closing any title window, so maybe we all just reset our sights on building for 2020 and beyond.       

Sunshine prediction: the source is his uncle and he's stepping out of bounds in an attempt to create some kind of leverage for Kawhi. Nothing but bluster from a guy who is about to lose his spot.

Pessimistic prediction: Kawhi was gone from the get go. His desire to talk was just to show the other teams that the Spurs were still willing to sign him to a super max to rebuild the leverage he lost over health concerns.

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Trade him for #2 and take doncic

I said awhile back that Sacramento should be considered a potential trade partner if it came to that. With the #2 pick, they're even more attractive. We know Fox can play, but I don't know that he'd be available. Although I'm not a Hield fan, he can shoot from range, and we must rebuild in that area...among others. I love Doncic's game.    

2 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Everything suck.  What the fuck kind of betrayal was there??

Per sources, he felt that the Spurs turned on him after he sought a second opinion.

I know that no two injuries are the same, but it was ominous in hindsight that Parker came back ASAP from the same injury and Kawhi dragged his heels. If he got his little feewings hurt over the business only attitude of a front office that has hung multiple banners, then he can go get his bottom powdered somewhere else.

Still holding out hope that this is just someone in his camp stirring shit, though. Have a hard time believing that Kawhi was too thin skinned for the Spurs.

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Trade him for #2 and take doncic

Yep. I'd make them also give up Fox and/or Bogdanovich and hopefully another future first round pick. Or maybe make them take back Gasol or Patty's contract.

Also, if this dude feels betrayed in SA, he really needs to go somewhere like LA where they don't/can't shelter their players like he's been sheltered in San Antonio. Dude has no idea what he's in for. 

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yep. I'd make them also give up Fox and/or Bogdanovich and hopefully another future first round pick. Or maybe make them take back Gasol or Patty's contract.

Also, if this dude feels betrayed in SA, he really needs to go somewhere like LA where they don't/can't shelter their players like he's been sheltered in San Antonio. Dude has no idea what he's in for. 

I don't think anyone is giving up that much for a 1-year rental. If a guy forces his way out of a great franchise like SA, why in the hell would SAC be able to keep him happy?

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't think anyone is giving up that much for a 1-year rental. If a guy forces his way out of a great franchise like SA, why in the hell would SAC be able to keep him happy?

We are talking about the Kings. They are the most inept front office in the league now that Billy King has left the Nets.

Also.... whenever you see "league sources" and Jabari Young's name anywhere in the same article, it's Uncle Dennis. Actually, just assume every single thing you read about this is coming from Uncle Dennis. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We are talking about the Kings. They are the most inept front office in the league now that Billy King has left the Nets.

Also.... whenever you see "league sources" and Jabari Young's name anywhere in the same article, it's Uncle Dennis. Actually, just assume every single thing you read about this is coming from Uncle Dennis. 

LaVar Ball and Uncle Dennis together in one place. Ha.