2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

Man...I’m getting to the point where this shit is just unacceptable. They should not be losing to teams on massive losing streaks. Glad I’m not watching tonight. 

you are talking about Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks.  you'll take your 7 or 8 seed and like it.

• Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

you are talking about Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks.  you'll take your 7 or 8 seed and like it.

I just think the minute you start taking nights off as an organization that the players feed off that. This is the danger of thinking you’re the smartest FO when you’re really not. It’s been engrained in these guys that the regular season doesn’t matter and that they want to be at their best in the last 10 games. 

That sounds great except that you’ve buried yourself, again, in the standings and are going to have a tougher opponent than you otherwise would. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just think the minute you start taking nights off as an organization that the players feed off that. This is the danger of thinking you’re the smartest FO when you’re really not. It’s been engrained in these guys that the regular season doesn’t matter and that they want to be at their best in the last 10 games. 

That sounds great except that you’ve buried yourself, again, in the standings and are going to have a tougher opponent than you otherwise would. 

Not to mention the guys getting load management are early/mid 20s, not some old war horse like lebron or kawhi.

they are just a middle of the road NBA team.  Luka and spares and with Rick that isn't going to be good enough.  
I actually think we are less than the sum of our parts. Since dwight went down with his injury we've lacked any bite to our pick and roll game, specifically diving to the rim. With that gone we've lost the ability for Luka to get in to the lane and draw defenders away from our three point shooters but we're still playing the same way with four guys spotted up around the 3. KP isn't the answer there, I wish we'd stop trying that.

And on defense we need to do better taking away the three. Our paint defense actually isn't that bad. We have some guys helping too late every game but I can live with that. We're getting beat because we're letting bad teams shoot open threes. Also on defense watch how many times our guys will sag off their man on the perimeter but not commit fast to a double team. They're stuck on no man's land. Commit to one or the other quickly. Come on rick this is basic stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

A few thoughts from being at the game last night. The AAC was limited to a very small crowd, like 10-15% capacity, and there was hardly any noise. You could hear all the action and noise and yelling from the court. This Lakers team felt like their JV or B squad was sent out versus The Mavs A team and that was disheartening. At one point they were winning in the 3rd Quarter with everyone but Schroder and KCP having a poor game (KCP had the sneakiest and quietest 30 points didn’t he?). That’s not promising to me.

In fact, and maybe just being there hit me in a way watching on TV hadn’t, but this team has regressed and taken a couple steps back from last year. That’s 100% on Cuban.

I don’t know what to do about it, either. Need an overall of the lineup, I guess, which I hate to say and not to give too much info about myself, but Boban who didn’t play 1 minute lives in my neighborhood on my street (think Las Colinas/Coppell area)— and I don’t think he will for much longer. Which stinks because I get a lot of mileage out of that fun fact.

Last note; the girl who struck out 21k perfect game for UNT was there and highlighted and celebrated along with all her UNT teammates so that was neat.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Drummond was just rebounding over every Mav last night.  From the 2H that I saw, way too many 2nd chance points given up.  Mavs countered every Laker run and would get off their duff and score when needed.  Seeing the KP ankle bend, he should be ok.  he did not step on anyone's foot.  But who knows with KP.  probably a grade 11 high ankle sprain.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is weird. This was a good win against a team higher in the standings than us--especially on a back-to-back. But you still get the feeling that team has another gear that we're just missing. Really hope we can steal another one from that Saturday and jump Portland. We still have 4 back-to-backs. Brutal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Somehow, the Mavs are tied in the standings against the Blazers.  Portland is 3-7 last 10 games.

Very frustrating. If we just would have taken care of business against garbage teams the past couple of weeks, they would probably be up on Portland by two games already. 

3 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Very frustrating. If we just would have taken care of business against garbage teams the past couple of weeks, they would probably be up on Portland by two games already. 

This. We massively failed to capitalize on a great opportunity. Portland should be in our rear view mirror right now

We signed Freddie Gillespie from Baylor to a 2way contract on draft night.  Didn't do anything with him

He's now with Toronto playing good defense and with a lot of energy.

Every day I become more and more convinced that we are going to waste Luka.  I hate feeling that way.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

We signed Freddie Gillespie from Baylor to a 2way contract on draft night.  Didn't do anything with him

He's now with Toronto playing good defense and with a lot of energy.

Every day I become more and more convinced that we are going to waste Luka.  I hate feeling that way.

Yep. Luka is leaving in all probability and it is Cuban and Co.’s fault. They either can’t or won’t build around their stars. I think they just suck at team building and roster management and the unfortunate truth as we all know on here is that Dallas is a second tier city/destination for the NBA free agents. 

The worst part of all this is that irrespective of where we end with the record/standings Dallas as a team has taken a large step backwards from last year that at least left us with some hope after the Clippers series. This team would get swept by that LAC team. That is our frustration, dude.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Yep. Luka is leaving in all probability and it is Cuban and Co.’s fault. They either can’t or won’t build around their stars. I think they just suck at team building and roster management and the unfortunate truth as we all know on here is that Dallas is a second tier city/destination for the NBA free agents. 
The worst part of all this is that irrespective of where we end with the record/standings Dallas as a team has taken a large step backwards from last year that at least left us with some hope after the Clippers series. This team would get swept by that LAC team. That is our frustration, dude.
Agreed. I have zero faith in this front office putting a winner around Luka. And I have no real faith in Rick going forward.
  • Hook 'Em 1