Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

TexAgs apparently predicts aggy to add 9 commits by the end of June 

Supposedly Loochi put out a big recruiting article, and the only prospect he talked about in depth that's an overlap is Omeire, with small mentions of Collins and Princely I think

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They seem pretty sure McGowen's lost to OU. That actually sucks for us.

Look, OU is going to land stud skill position players; that's a given

As long as they keep whiffing on premium defensive prospects, have Bennie Wiley handing out soft tissue and knee injuries, and have an air raid bro broing up their practices, I think we're in a good position vis a vis. 

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They seem pretty sure McGowen's lost to OU. That actually sucks for us.

D7GEQyNWkAI6xVz.jpg

Super meh. McGowan’s good not great. OU will always get guys of his skill level at RB, so they might as well take him from someone in-state or that we’d also play in confernece.

19 minutes ago, Fud said:
Spoiler

It's been relatively quiet since February, but things are about to really pick up on the recruiting front for Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies. With the spring evaluation period in full swing and summer camp season just two weeks away, fans can expect to see the Maroon & White recruiting machine crank up and begin churning out 2020 commits. No better time than now to scattershoot, recruiting style.

1. I went back and did the research and was pretty surprised at the lack of high-end quarterback prospects the state of Texas has produced in recent seasons. The top three (and we realize it's all subjective) quarterback prospects in each of the last five classes look like this:

• 2019: Grant Gunnell (Arizona), Roschon Johnson (Texas), Jacob Zeno (Baylor)
  • 2018: Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma State), Tanner Mordecai (OU), Matthew Baldwin (a surprising offer from Ohio State – he's already left Columbus with zero chance to see the field and found his way to TCU)
  • 2017: Sam Ehlinger (Texas), Shawn Robinson (TCU, already left the program), Chris Robison (OU, already left the program)
  • 2016: Jalen Hurts (Alabama), Shane Buechelle (Texas), Dillon Sterling-Cole (ASU)

That leaves 2020, where Haynes King‍ (pictured above) of Longview has emerged as THE guy that Jimbo Fisher and Darrell Dickey would love to add as the signal-caller in this year's class. The other two most highly-regarded class of ‘20 QBs are Texas Longhorn pledge and Lake Travis gunslinger Hudson Card‍ and recent North Carolina commit and gifted dual-threat project Malik Hornsby‍. I've watched quite a bit of tape and have asked around about Haynes King a lot over the past few weeks, and he's a guy that Howell, Brauny and I all have been very high on dating back to last December when he was guiding Longview to the 6A state title.

Justin Schoenemann

QB Haynes King led Longview to a 6A state title as a junior.

King is a head coach's son, he's as fast as anyone on the Longview roster, and it's very clear he understands and sees the game in such a way that many do not. He's a leader, a winner and a gamer. King also has a very good arm, is deadly accurate and knows where to go with the football, as evidenced by his 45-4 touchdown to interception ratio as a junior.

Since Kyler Murray and Jarrett Stidham both came out in 2015, the state hasn't produced very many can't miss prospects, and only a couple have enjoyed truly noteworthy success at the college level. I won't say King is the best I've seen in five years, but I do believe he's probably the best in-state QB Jimbo has evaluated since arriving at A&M with a month left in the 2018 cycle.

The Ags are in good shape with their top in-state target as the spring evaluation period winds down, and I feel good about their chances to be the last team standing when King makes his eventual choice. He'd be a big get.

Getting back to Texas quarterback talent before moving on: There is good news on the horizon, as the Aggies have already offered Denton Guyer's Eli Stowers‍, Dallas Parish Episcopal's Preston Stone‍, and most recently, Katy Tompkins dual-threat Jalen Milroe‍. The position is pretty loaded next year, breaking a surprising run of mediocrity from a state that has produced four Heisman Trophy winners since 2011, boasts two active Super Bowl MVPs, the 2018 NFL MVP and has churned out three active No. 1 overall picks.

2. There was a time very early in this cycle that I was beginning to wonder if the state would produce much of anything in the way of SEC-caliber tight end prospects, and I'm sure college coaches in the region wondered the same. That's no longer the case, as there are no fewer than five such players to be found in Texas in 2020.

The list includes three guys the Ags are likely to make a hard push for under first-year assistant Joe Jon Finley in Gruver's Jalin Conyers‍, recent offer Blake Smith‍ of Southlake Carroll and Mesquite Poteet rapid-riser Tristan Golightly‍. As of today, I'm loving the possibility of 6-5, 245-pounder Blake Smith ending up in Maroon & White. He's a big ole dude who catches anything in his vicinity and would make a tremendous complimentary piece to go along with Baylor Cupp and Jalen Wydermyer. Think of him as the Trevor Wood to Jace Sternberger, only coming in as a true freshman instead of a grad transfer senior. Keep an eye on Golightly – the 6-5, 215-pounder has some Wydermyer in him in terms of being a very long and athletic playmaker in the passing game. He holds an LSU offer already, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the Aggies join the mix in relatively short order.

Other in-state TEs garnering regional and national attention who didn't see much recruiting interest from the Maroon & White include Michigan commit Nick Patterson‍, Iowa pledge Elijah Yelverton‍, Crockett big man Allen Horace‍ (Arkansas) and Brandon Frazier‍, who has begun to pull in some pretty impressive offers (including Bama) at McKinney North.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

New A&M OL coach Josh Henson looks poised to make some key additions up front.

3. Things are beginning to heat up in the trenches for new assistant Josh Henson, as the Ags appear poised to make some things happen along the offensive line. Athens tackle Garrett Hayes‍, a high-priority target, will be in town on Thursday as the Ags continue to attempt to forge their way in front of Arkansas and OU. The Ags are still sitting in good shape with Memphis manchild Chris Morris‍, who could fall A&M's way at any time or wait things out a little deeper into the summer. Henson and the Aggie staff are also hard at work on a couple of targets committed elsewhere, most notably Razorback pledge Ty'Kieast Crawford‍ and Georgia commit/one-time A&M pledge Akinola Ogunbiyi‍. Recent OU pledge Nathan Anderson‍‍ of Frisco Reedy hasn't picked up an Aggie offer, but if the Maroon & White were to make that move in short order, I'm willing to bet they would have a shot to get right back into that one as well. 

4. Keep an eye on things at linebacker over the next month or so. The Ags are playing the long game here, as Mike Elko, Bradley Dale Peveto and the A&M staff are shopping primarily out of state, and the ongoing effort spans coast to coast. As of today, the prospect I feel best about is Missouri standout Antonio Doyle Jr.‍ (OU might be the primary competition here), but the Aggies also continue to have reason for optimism with Utah big man Noah Sewell‍ and California four-star Kourt Williams II‍. A&M is also still very much in the hunt with Alabama commit and Muscle Shoals native Jackson Bratton‍, and even five-star Seattle product Sav'ell Smalls‍ continues to give the Ags a strong enough look that an official visit is very possible. My guess is that the Ags are also certain to turn up multiple candidates in the Southeast, from Georgia to Tennessee to Florida, same as last year. As for me? I'd like to see the Aggies eventually make a push for LSU pledge Josh White‍, but the Ags haven't offered or engaged the Houston-area LB to this point, and it's not a sure thing that they'll do so. 

5. If you're wondering about the secondary, it's still a little too wide open to try and project. Jaylon Jones‍ gives the Ags the state's best prospect at corner, but beyond that it's really anyone's guess at this point. The Aggies are still in good shape for East St. Louis safety Antonio Johnson‍, who will visit in June, and with a continued push, should be able to close out Blinn corner Marco Domio‍. The Aggies aren't going to stop recruiting OU commit Ryan Watts‍ of Little Elm (he plans to take an official visit to A&M), and I'm of the belief that they'll ultimately factor in heavily with Houston-area safety Xavion Alford‍ of Shadow Creek, Kitan Crawford‍ of John Tyler and Aldine MacArthur's Josh Eaton‍. Kentucky safety Vito Tisdale‍ is still a legitimate out of state option, but I'm not sure the Ags really have much of a shot with Major Burns‍ anymore. Perhaps letting him stay in Baton Rouge or find his way to Norman might be the best play here with so many options still on the table but only one commit on the board.

6. Here's my current 'hot list' in terms of what is trending in A&M's favor:

The guys I feel best about eventually becoming Aggies as we near the end of the spring evaluation period? 

Prospects who I'd rate the Ags' chances as 'good to very good' with?

Justin Schoenemann

Devon Achane’s elite speed would give the Aggies a new dimension on offense.

7. I still want to see the Ags land FB Marshall speedster Devon Achane‍ almost as much as any offensive weapon in this class. Are there more polished and complete prospects to be found in 2020? Sure. There are also guys we at TexAgs and every other service will have rated higher on their respective lists. However, when you're talking about what the Aggies need on offense and what Jimbo Fisher and Darrell Dickey could do with a player possessing the raw, unadulterated speed that Achane possesses, there might not be more of an instant-impact prospect in Texas for the Ags in 2020 outside of Demond Demas‍ or Zach Evans‍. Again, he brings something to the A&M roster that the Aggies don't currently have, and he has the type of speed that will leave even SEC defenders in his wake.

8. Speaking of Achane, the Ags' skill-position haul could end up being pretty salty. Haynes King‍ at QB, Demond Demas‍ and Muhsin Muhammad III‍ at receiver plus Devin Price‍ and perhaps even Troy Omeire‍ at receiver plus Devon Achane‍ and either Seth McGowan‍, Sam Adams‍ or Zach Evans‍ at tailback? Such a group would rank among the better hauls in the SEC and feature true star power at receiver and in the backfield.

The running back spot is currently where things still seem a long way off in terms of any of the primary targets leaning hard A&M's way. However, if there's one guy on Jimbo Fisher's A&M staff you'd be wise not to underestimate, it's Jay Graham. 'The Silent Assassin' as Scott Woodward used to call him, Graham is an ace recruiter who is going to find and develop big-time backfield talent (something we've already seen in less than a year-and-a-half on campus). Frankly, I'd be surprised if the Ags did NOT land one of the three aforementioned runners, and he might do that plus sneak in someone like Lancaster's Tre Bradford‍ – a Howell favorite and a fast-rising prospect whose stock is set to blow up and who the Aggies are likely to begin showing increased interest in moving forward.

9. I'd call the interior d-line a quiet concern for the Ags, as there is next to nothing in-state the way of SEC West talent and the truly elite around the country typically rank among the most hotly-contested recruiting battles from coast to coast. Two things: One, that's what makes landing New Jersey standout and 320-pound load Isaiah Raikes‍ such a big deal (he recently named A&M, Penn State, Oregon, Northwestern, Duke and Temple as his final six). Two, this is where having one of the nation's most productive, persistent and diligent recruiters in place as your DT coach will pay off. Given time, Elijah Robinson is going to scour the country and give Mike Elko options, just like he did in teaming up with Terry Price to get Fadil Diggs‍ into the fold. Still, the fact remains that as of today, there aren't a lot of options out there for the Ags on the defensive interior.

10. Brauny saw these guys last week and came away very impressed with both Princely Umanmielen‍ of Manor and Cedar Creek DE Alfred Collins‍. It's clear the Aggies feel the same, as it's apparent to me that those two have emerged as highest-priority targets along the defensive front. If I had to go off just what I'm seeing and hearing, I'd say the Ags would be my ever so slight pick for Princely with Texas having the slighest of edges for Collins. If Terry Price, Elijah Robinson and Mike Elko can somehow manage to land both CenTex standouts plus Fadil Diggs‍ and Isaiah Raikes‍ then we're talking about a legitimate SEC West haul up front for the second straight cycle...not to mention the fact that you're going to see a couple of targets emerge out of Florida as the Aggie coaches continue their spring tour this week and next.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

TexAgs apparently predicts aggy to add 9 commits by the end of June

My guesses for six of them 

- Price

- Omeire

- King

- Hayes

- Domio

- Raikes

- No idea on Doyle or Johnson

McGowan is probably OU. Morris is probably staying in the SE. Princely is more likely to Texas, A&M might be running 4th there. I think Eaton decides late, although A&M might be the favorite

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

My guesses for six of them 

- Price

- Omeire

- King

- Hayes

- Domio

- Raikes

- No idea on Doyle or Johnson

McGowan is probably OU. Morris is probably staying in the SE. Princely is more likely to Texas, A&M might be running 4th there. I think Eaton decides late, although A&M might be the favorite

Add Blake Smith

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'd have a sad if Muhammad III picks them - his dad was one of my favorite players when I was a kid.

He hasn't been on my radar. Is he actually leaning A&M, or is this some Chris Morris/Nakobe Dean/Isaiah Sopsher bullshit? 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

He hasn't been on my radar. Is he actually leaning A&M, or is this some Chris Morris/Nakobe Dean/Isaiah Sopsher bullshit? 

Honestly, from what I've seen (half paying attention) it seems like the latter. And I doubt he's on the market like Dean given his dad.

Edited by texifornia

They can have Eaton. He's not in the top 4 on UT's board. 

They continue to push a narrative around landing at least one of the DL Big 3. They are going to have to break out some stacks and actually have a willing seller. There's nothing indicating that they'd be the only interested party or that any of the Big 3 gives much of a shit about them in all honesty.

ATM is going to be shut out on the big time TB front this cycle. They're going to get desperate and shell out something ridiculous if they want to land one. It's something to watch. 

I honestly don't believe much of anything I'm reading from ATM right now, even sifting out the egregious bullshit. ATM is rocking back on its heels right now and trying to figure out a plan. 

Also, how many can they actually sign in this class? I see aggies talking about 22/23 players. Wouldn't that mean almost catastrophic attrition? I thought they could take like 14/15 on paper in this next class?

Also also, every fucking player that could find a reason to sit out spring practices, sat out for ATM. That is not a good sign, and there's no way to spin it. The problems that began to plague Fisher at FSU after Winston's cycle churned through are rearing their heads earlier during his reign at ATM. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They continue to push a narrative around landing at least one of the DL Big 3. They are going to have to break out some stacks and actually have a willing seller. There's nothing indicating that they'd be the only interested party or that any of the Big 3 gives much of a shit about them in all honesty.

ATM is going to be shut out on the big time TB front this cycle. They're going to get desperate and shell out something ridiculous if they want to land one. It's something to watch. 

I honestly don't believe much of anything I'm reading from ATM right now, even sifting out the egregious bullshit. ATM is rocking back on its heels right now and trying to figure out a plan. 

Also, how many can they actually sign in this class? I see aggies talking about 22/23 players. Wouldn't that mean almost catastrophic attrition? I thought they could take like 14/15 on paper in this next class?

Also also, every fucking player that could find a reason to sit out spring practices, sat out for ATM. That is not a good sign, and there's no way to spin it. The problems that began to plague Fisher at FSU after Winston's cycle churned through are rearing their heads earlier during his reign at ATM. 

I’ve been pretty shocked at how bad Fisher’s QB recruiting has been at ATM. He was always able to land high-rated QB recruits at FSU, and he should be aware enough to realize that’s what made his best teams tick. But Foster, Calzada, and now backing into King is a pretty underwhelming trip to pair with what he had on campus, especially since King is the bets fo he bunch but probably won’t be ready to play until at least Fisher’s fourth year. Them recruiting HS QBs so poorly and not finding a better ready to play option is pretty crazy. Not to mention, fisher has historically had terrible OLs and his teams come with a bunch of off-the-field issues.

It’s looking like they really did sign late-era Mack Brown to a 10/75 fully guaranteed deal.

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve been pretty shocked at how bad Fisher’s QB recruiting has been at ATM. He was always able to land high-rated QB recruits at FSU, and he should be aware enough to realize that’s what made his best teams tick. But Foster, Calzada, and now backing into King is a pretty underwhelming trip to pair with what he had on campus, especially since King is the bets fo he bunch but probably won’t be ready to play until at least Fisher’s fourth year. Them recruiting HS QBs so poorly and not finding a better ready to play option is pretty crazy. Not to mention, fisher has historically had terrible OLs and his teams come with a bunch of off-the-field issues.

It’s looking like they really did sign late-era Mack Brown to a 10/75 fully guaranteed deal.

I forgot to mention this - there is a ton of reticence about Fisher from the King side. There's strong logic for King going to ATM in this cycle, and that might well prevail. That considered, any solid school that shows a true interest in the player will be a threat. They flat don't like Fisher and his style.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC. Even if there is a ton of bread on that roster, it’s impossible to get rid of that many guys and not feel the effects of it in 2020. 

We need someone to do a roster breakdown for us. I'd like to understand the numbers, because my gut reaction is the same as yours. In my mind from the winter, I feel like between attrition required ahead of the 2019 season plus the numbers even when that's sorted, they could only take like 15 guys in 2020. Are they really going to push 15-20 more guys off the plank over the next 15 months?

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

My regarding half of the guys mentioned in Loochi's article

Image result for conor mcgregor who is that guy gif

Cant wait to watch them grab a bunch of OOS guys who were rated as 4 stars early in the cycle but should really be 3 stars that all the local teams have passed on and then complain they didn’t get the same bump as us last year. They’re going to be forced to follow our 2019 strategy, except they’ll have  terrible evals and go buy up as many auction guys as they can. It’ll be a bizarro version of our 2019 haul.

ill also be curious to see what the attrition rate is like for some of the guys they’be just flat out bought the last couple years. It seems like a lot of those guys have high attrition rates if they’re not seeing the field right away. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Their numbers somewhat depend on what happens with Mowry and Ellison. I think it'll be somewhere in the 19-22 range, depending on what happens with them, and if guys like Marmaduke, Ausbon, and Rogers decide to leave early. 

I know that A&M's demise is predicted every year on the Texas boards, but they face third year Tua and third year Fromm, they travel to Clemson to face a full game of Trevor Lawrence rather than a few rotated series of him at home, and they travel to death valley to face LSU in a revenge game that LSU is still pissed about, especially after Jimbo's nephew punched the LSU staffer... oh, and the LSU game is the week after traveling to Georgia; they're looking at potentially getting blown out the last two weeks of the season. The only one of the four big games that's at home is vs Bama. I think it's more likely they lose all four plus one more, than steal one of the four games. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I forgot to mention this - there is a ton of reticence about Fisher from the King side. There's strong logic for King going to ATM in this cycle, and that might well prevail. That considered, any solid school that shows a true interest in the player will be a threat. They flat don't like Fisher and his style. 

He's leaning A&M hard, but Baylor has been recruiting him harder and longer than anyone, and he's basically the only QB they're recruiting; but they're enamored with the SEC. LSU was always the preferred destination for them, but I don't think Orgeron is going to make it happen. If Auburn hadn't landed Bo Nix last cycle, they'd probably have a shot; they're on him hard. If he wasn't in the same class as Chandler Morris, Arkansas would have a shot. Tennessee might make the most sense out of the SEC schools not named A&M. Who does Bama like at QB?

"

As fellow division rivals LSU and Alabama have landed big targets in recent weeks, coach Jimbo Fisher was asked on Tuesday about the Aggies' recruiting strategy.

During his visit to the Touchdown Club of Houston, Fisher told reporters he wanted to sign 25 new members this fall. He also hinted the class may be fuller than fans realize.

"What's out there and what's behind the scenes and what we're doing and the communication which we have are two different things," Fisher told reporters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's leaning A&M hard, but Baylor has been recruiting him harder and longer than anyone, and he's basically the only QB they're recruiting; but they're enamored with the SEC. LSU was always the preferred destination for them, but I don't think Orgeron is going to make it happen. If Auburn hadn't landed Bo Nix last cycle, they'd probably have a shot; they're on him hard. If he wasn't in the same class as Chandler Morris, Arkansas would have a shot. Tennessee might make the most sense out of the SEC schools not named A&M. Who does Bama like at QB?

CTJ: Who does Bama like at QB in the 2020 cycle?

Friend in Tuscaloosa and part of the machine: No clue

CTJ: Damn you

The Bama people reluctantly admit that there's a shot what's currently being done in recruiting is window dressing for an exit if vengeance can be had this postseason. Not sure I believe that, but the new staff plus their current recruiting efforts indicate there's some validity to the de-emphasis on recruiting, for whatever reason. Never seen Saban purposefully do that before. They have 7 guys from Bama already, and they're not trending towards a top 3 class unless they oversign. In fact, it's not difficult to project a class that isn't top 5 if some other schools land the right guys, Texas included.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CTJ: Who does Bama like at QB in the 2020 cycle?

Friend in Tuscaloosa and part of the machine: No clue

CTJ: Damn you

The Bama people reluctantly admit that there's a shot what's currently being done in recruiting is window dressing for an exit if vengeance can be had this postseason. Not sure I believe that, but the new staff plus their current recruiting efforts indicate there's some validity to the de-emphasis on recruiting, for whatever reason. Never seen Saban purposefully do that before. They have 7 guys from Bama already, and they're not trending towards a top 3 class unless they oversign. In fact, it's not difficult to project a class that isn't top 5 if some other schools land the right guys, Texas included.

Kind of reminds me of their class from two classes ago (2018) that started really slow and wasn't up to typical Saban par, and then most of the staff left and Saban hired a bunch of strong recruiters 

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

King should ask EJ Manuel, Drew Weatherford, Christian Ponder or Deondre Francois what they think of Fisher.

Manuel's dad almost knocked Fisher the fuck out

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We need someone to do a roster breakdown for us. I'd like to understand the numbers, because my gut reaction is the same as yours. In my mind from the winter, I feel like between attrition required ahead of the 2019 season plus the numbers even when that's sorted, they could only take like 15 guys in 2020. Are they really going to push 15-20 more guys off the plank over the next 15 months?

A cursory glance at their projected depth chart on ourlads shows 4 seniors(including punter) and 1 surefire EE guy in Madubuike.

Edited by HtownHorn

Quick A&M roster numbers I tried to put together. This is probably not 100% accurate, because none of the A&M sites have an updated and accurate scholarship board, but it's probably close. Assuming this link's classification for each player is accurate: https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

Current Roster- 88 scholarships if Mowry and Ellison, and the rest of the 2019 class make it to campus (Blades was questionable I believe). They have to get down to 85 by fall camp; if Mowry and Ellison greyshirt or whatever, A&M only needs to lose one more scholarship player over the next three months to get down to 85. If that player is a senior or older guy they'd lose anyway, then that doesn't help them much, while if it's someone from a recent class (2018-2020), then it gives them an extra spot in their 2020 class. Mowry, Ellison, or Blades not making it in at all also helps their 2020 class in regards to class size. 

Graduating seniors- 6

Draft eligible after the season, not counting the six graduating seniors- 28

By fall camp 2020: current roster + 2020 class + late joining grayshirts - attrition  85

Let's assume that Blades makes it in, but Mowry and Ellison don't, but take prep-school classes to be able to greyshirt and join later, and their remaining scholarship they must lose by fall camp comes from an underclassman

This gives: 85 + 2020 Class + 2 - (6 graduating seniors) = 81 + 2020 Class.

Scenarios:

With 0 attrition, they're at a class of 4 scholarships

If Mowry and Ellison have to go JUCO, and with 0 attrition, they're at a class of 6 scholarships

Whatever class number you're trying to get to will be 4-6 (depending on Mowry/Ellison) + attrition

So, if you're trying to get to full class of 25, you're looking at a non-graduating senior attrition number of 19-21 depending on Ellison/Mowry over the next 15 months

If you're looking at an arguably more reasonable number of, say, 19, you're looking at a non-graduating senior attrition number 14-16

15 months is a long time, and Jimbo only really has to get rid of one more guy for this upcoming season. Some guys will retire instead of come back for a fifth year, some will medically retire, Jimbo will force some to portal, and a handful might leave early for the draft. Interestingly to me, 2020 is the season aggie mods have circled due to Mond being a senior and the schedule being easy, but I think a ton of their attrition will need to come from 4th/5th year seniors to be for that season if they want to get to a high class number, which would presumably hurt their team on the field. 

Anyone feel like checking my math, or want to check the # of graduating seniors? 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

A cursory glance at their projected depth chart on ourlads shows 4 seniors(including punter) and 1 surefire EE guy in Madubuike.

Yeah. Pretty much. I think I counted 5 or 6 seniors.  They have 10-12 juniors, who if they really, really blow up, could maybe declare early.

As to Fud’s numbers, i didn’t check them but from skimming their roster, the amount of attrition that they could get based on guys leaving early doesn’t seem like it could get higher than like 6. 

potential early entrants: Madubuike, Tyree Johnson, K. Rogers, Tucker, Mond, Austin, Myles, Jones, Renfro (lol), Buddy Johnson, Perevy, Hezekiah Jones, Buckley, Carson Green.

most of those guys aren’t very good and have no business declaring early, but they will be playing a ton of juniors just because they have so few seniors, so more guys might declare than expected. 

Marmaduke, Rogers, and Ausbon seem like the likely candidate; Rogers almost left this past year 

On a side note, A&M has a fuck ton of WRs, and it seems like they'll bring in another 4 or 5 in 2020 despite it likely being a smaller class 

Jimbo is going to have fun telling every junior he should go pro or transfer, except mond who should stay.  If mond does leave early, the 2020 train is derailed at the station, so to speak.

He wont be ditching his allsome 2019 best class evar just yet, 2020 is just showing up, so it’s all on 2017 and 2018 to take that hit. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

"What's out there and what's behind the scenes and what we're doing and the communication which we have are two different things," Fisher told reporters.

I've read this quote ten times and for the life of me, I can't figure out which "two different things" he is talking about.

Thing #1: What's out there.

Thing #2: What's behind the scenes.

Thing #3: What we're doing.

Thing#4: The communication which we have.

I think this is like an aggy version of a Buddhist koan. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

They are currently at 86, though I thought Pryor was a medical. They also have Mowry and Ellison waiting for qualification issues.

If Pryor is their attrition to get to 85, then it doesn't really help their 2020 class because he's one of the six graduating seniors, as opposed to a non-senior being processed, if that makes sense 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fud said:

If Pryor is their attrition to get to 85, then it doesn't really help their 2020 class because he's one of the six graduating seniors, as opposed to a non-senior being processed, if that makes sense 

You're doing the Lord's work in this thread, today, Fud.

29 minutes ago, Fud said:

Absolutely. I will bottom line it, they are fucked. I just don't see how 2020 is going to be a big year on the field for them either. Their OL recruiting is crazy. They have 1 SO, and he's been hurt almost his entire time on campus in Reed.

Their SR class is about as good as those guys that left Texas early after the 2018 season, the McMillon, Cuney, etc guys. Their WR recruiting is also a mess. 6 JRs and 6 FR. This is an offense that throws the ball less than 50% of the time.

Edited by HtownHorn

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Absolutely. I will bottom line it, they are fucked. I just don't see how 2020 is going to be a big year on the field for them either. Their OL recruiting is crazy. They have 1 SO, and he's been hurt almost his entire time on campus in Reed.

Their SR class is about as good as those guys that left Texas early after the 2018 season, the McMillon, Cuney, etc guys. Their WR recruiting is also a mess. 6 JRs and 6 FR. This is an offense that throws the ball less than 50% of the time.

If Jimbo is trying to force a 25+ class here, it's probably because he knows he can't have both a just ok season and a just ok recruiting class. However, that amount of attrition is absurd for a non-transition year. 

What would Dabo do here? 

I actually think there's some pretty sound reasoning to Jimbo's roster culling here. He's taken a look at his roster. It's the lunatic masses who are circling 20/20 based on the schedule alone and saying "This is the year we make a run for it all." Hell, I'm sure Botinator can pull up 4 quotes or more where Fisher has said 2020. But if he doesn't think he has the roster, he might as well bulldoze that shit anyway and take the chance to reel in more talent. And he can get away with that shit in year 3 a lot easier than he could in year 4 or 5 of more 8-9 win seasons. It's big game poker, but that guy will be able to flash his ring and calm most of the sheep. 

Now that being said, if he has two Meh years and then a really down year in 2020, that's certainly going to stall the type of player you get. Then again, maybe by then Saban has retired, or Fisher is just full out OreClemsoning players with potato sacks full of money. But you've got a think he has a better shot at staving off the pitchforks for an "unexpected speedbump" in year 3 while the goal is to "build a real championship roster, which takes time." Trying that in year 4 or 5...less so. Then again, I'm just spitballin'.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1