Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Well, next year they face sophomore Trevor Lawrence for a full game, third year Fromm, third year Tua (after a bye week, so Tua should actually be relatively healthy for once), and a 5th year Browning

No idea who the South Carolina, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miss State types of the world are trotting out there at QB, but A&M won't be able to shut down the run as easily as they did last year, and their shitty DBs will be in conflict more often 

Who is Browning the QB for?

Fyi... Penn State QB grad-transfer will probably start for Miss State

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/05/17/tommy-stevens-transfers-from-penn-state-to-mississippi-state-quarterback/3707113002/

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Well, next year they face sophomore Trevor Lawrence for a full game, third year Fromm, third year Tua (after a bye week, so Tua should actually be relatively healthy for once), and a 5th year Browning

No idea who the South Carolina, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miss State types of the world are trotting out there at QB, but A&M won't be able to shut down the run as easily as they did last year, and their shitty DBs will be in conflict more often 

Trevor Lawrence once and Tua once.  Not murderer's row.  Just for giggles I looked at QBR performances against Texas last year and Fromm ranked 11th of the 14 performances we faced (OUsucks twice).  If their third best qb in a 14 team conference is as good as one of the worst in our 10 team conference I would argue that Elko daring other teams to throw the ball is the right decision. 

This is the right strategy for them with a slow paced offense and under performing opponent qb's.  I think it will look uglier this year because of the aforementioned loss of talent up front, (and the lack of talent to replace it) but it's probably their best hope that teams are stubborn and force running the ball against a large front. 

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Wheeler played well in the Sugar Bowl.  You can’t put a guy nicknamed “Prison” in a conference where he has to think.  He just needs to be told to murder like Alvin Mack.  

Funnily enough, he was Academic All-Conference I believe every year he was here.

4-star DE Collins has official, unofficial planned to A&M

VIP ByBRIAN PERRONI 106 seconds ago

One of the top uncommitted prospects in the state of Texas is Bastrop Cedar Creek four-star defensive end Alfred Collins. The 6-foot-5, 247-pound defender will be the first player from the school to ever sign with an FBS program and he has drawn a lot of attention to program.

On Wednesday, Terry Price from Texas A&M was joined by coaches from Baylor, TCU, Texas and Texas Tech in watching Collins and Cedar Creek work out.

"Yeah, it is," Collins said of it being consistent with coaches coming by the school. "This is the most though. The biggest turnout."

Collins has a pair of official visits set up to in-state schools at the moment and has an unofficial planned to an out-of-state program.

I have the A&M one in October (11th) and then UT is sometime in June," he said of his officials. "I'm going to Bama for an unofficial sometime in June...That will be my first time there."

Collins has been to Aggieland multiple times, but was unable to make it to the spring game. He plans to return in the near future though

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Collins isn’t a Texas commit by October 11 I will be disappointed and frustrated. 

I'm sure Oscar Giles will swoop in on October 10th and save you the heartburn. Personally, I'm kinda disappointed he wasn't a Texas commit by April 11th. 

"The sad truth is Texas and OU have an easy path to the playoffs like Clemson."

This sentiment is finally starting to course through the aggy ranks, that you still have to actually *win* games even though you play in the SEC to recruit and run a program at a high level.  The next few years have the potential for all-time, pure-Walter-White-type aggy schadenfreude with Texas playing LSU twice and potentially clashing with Clemson or Alabama in the playoffs while A&M struggles to make the conference championship.  

giphy.gif

Edited by BigBenBamboozle
  • Like 1

Hm, Bjork was extremely popular at OM, but the bloom's come off the rose a bit since hiring and retaining Matt Luke. Made a good basketball hire, though.

He did pull Austin Thomas' offer to be a recruiting coordinator at Ole Miss, so that should be a fun working relationship.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hm, Bjork was extremely popular at OM, but the bloom's come off the rose a bit since hiring and retaining Matt Luke. Made a good basketball hire, though.

He did pull Austin Thomas' offer to be a recruiting coordinator at Ole Miss, so that should be a fun working relationship.

And the Jimbo vs the AD feud begins anew. 

Just no. He presided over worst NCAA fiasco in school history. Knew all about what Freeze was up to. Hired and kept Matt Luke. General consensus of Ole Miss fans is found in a tweet that says: "Looks like Ole Miss beat A&M twice today." Rebels are thrilled at thought of him leaving.
giphy.gif
Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Perroni is shockingly optimistic re: Broughton

On one hand, I've seen aggie mods confident in recruitments when I knew Texas had the nuts. On the other hand, Jimbo has stolen big time recruitments right out from under us and others, so you can't dismiss it entirely. I'll stay cautiously optimistic until more info comes along. 

"The sad truth is Texas and OU have an easy path to the playoffs like Clemson."

You would think they would have taken advantage of playing in the easy ass big 12 more than once in nearly 20 years. I honestly don't get it. They should have won it 10 to 12 times minimum. Low hanging fruit.

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

On one hand, I've seen aggie mods confident in recruitments when I knew Texas had the nuts. On the other hand, Jimbo has stolen big time recruitments right out from under us and others, so you can't dismiss it entirely. I'll stay cautiously optimistic until more info comes along. 

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on Perroni's post.  He loves to put in early crystal ball picks on everyone to aggy that he thinks they have any chance at all ( look at all the 2021 picks ).

• Like 1

It should be noted that people on multiple sites have made direct or indirect references to influencers and handlers with regard to Broughton, so it's possible that A&M has some levers to pull in this recruitment that they hadn't done previously. I think it's interesting that optimism about Broughton is coinciding from multiple A&M sites right now, but until something concrete arises, I am in Fud's camp and will remain cautiously optimistic. It's possible that this is McGowan 2.0 and all this sunshine from Perroni is apropos of nothing.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Wells reiterated that he still feels good about Broughton 

And Super K said earlier in the week that LSU and potentially Bama' could be the biggest obstacles.  

LSU already has 3-4 DL commits ( if you count Alec Bryant as a DL ) and probably add Roy, Guillory, and Lee.

Perroni is a master propagandist.  He delivers bad news sandwiched between optimistic, baseless opinions.  His closing lines are great.  From the above aggy thread, he ends a post with, "but he does really like Henson a lot."  That little sentence seems harmless enough.  But it's purpose is to whip aggy into a glory hole frenzy of unbridled optimism.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

You would think they would have taken advantage of playing in the easy ass big 12 more than once in nearly 20 years. I honestly don't get it. They should have won it 10 to 12 times minimum. Low hanging fruit.

It's the patch. If they'd had the patch, they'd have dominated the Big 12. Now they need to figure out a way to keep the patch but be furloughed to compete in the Big 12.

61mYTLLYoEL._SX425_.jpg