2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

According to my Ambient station in the back yard I got exactly 1 inch of rain, making exactly 8 inches for the month of October.  Was .98 when I woke up and the last light shower we had pushed to exactly 1.  My (minor) OCD is satisfied.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wow.  Three inches in 30 minutes already.  For once, KXAN actually undersold a storm.  

Everybody be safe out there this morning.  Looks like it’ll go until about 8am or so but I’ll await further instructions from PhDhorn.  

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Congrats to your wife on both the length and duration.

In, wait 15 mins, Out, wait 15 mins, In, finish. 3 inches in 30 mins. That's called Friday night at my house.

56 minutes ago, Hate said:

My house was right in the middle of a tornado warning earlier today. We had another tree snapped in half and lost a good section of fence. This is the 4th Texas Oak I’ve had split in half during storms in the time I’ve lived here. I think I will no longer plant Texas Oak trees here.

he hates these cans! - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know exactly how much rain I got today but it was enough to demonstrate that my newly-replaced roof is leaking. I swear to $%&$# I want to strangle this roofer. (This is not the first problem; they did other shit badly that even though I know nothing about roofing, even I could see it wasn't right.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

I don't know exactly how much rain I got today but it was enough to demonstrate that my newly-replaced roof is leaking. I swear to $%&$# I want to strangle this roofer. (This is not the first problem; they did other shit badly that even though I know nothing about roofing, even I could see it wasn't right.) 

@ROFL BOX unsatisfied customer alert!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This has been much needed and well-timed.  A couple days in the mid 80's with heat index and not much more rain forecasted between now and Thanksgiving, but this 24-hour deluge should give the zoysia what it needs to go sleepy-time.  Much respect.  

But yeah, we need an aeration thread in February 'cause I'm due for it.  Wanted to it last March but lawn literally shit itself after the Snowpocalypse.

Edited by Lobo

Just now, markstanco said:

What is a good website you would suggest to check current yearly totals by either city or zip?

After all this time, you don't know which woman to ask about how many inches in your South Austin zip code have been received this year?  

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

What is a good website you would suggest to check current yearly totals by either city or zip?

There really isn't a free one.  Maybe some Frankie has done some private spreadsheet and it's out there, but I don't know about it.

NOAA/NWS has for-pay products which they sell (TV stations, analytic agencies, etc.).  But not what you want.

I think the closest you can get is this.  A little clunky but it gives you what you're looking for, more or less: 
1) Go to https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate
2) Click on the map for the area you want to look at.
3) The next page should default to NOWData (the leftmost of 4 column headings)
4) Click the locale in the box you want to look at, click "monthly summarized data" button, then select range, variable (Precip is in that), and "Sum" under "Summary"  (unless you want another category under this).
5) Click "go" and you'll get a table of the monthly rain data.

(once you set the variables, you can pretty quickly select a locale in the box w/o resetting it and see each regional office).

To go out of that particular weather office region, go back to the map and click another place and you can set up again.

• Like 1

There really isn't a free one.  Maybe some Frankie has done some private spreadsheet and it's out there, but I don't know about it.

NOAA/NWS has for-pay products which they sell (TV stations, analytic agencies, etc.).  But not what you want.

I think the closest you can get is this.  A little clunky but it gives you what you're looking for, more or less: 
4) Click the locale in the box you want to look at, click "monthly summarized data" button, then select range, variable (Precip is in that), and "Sum" under "Summary"  (unless you want another category under this).

(once you set the variables, you can pretty quickly select a locale in the box w/o resetting it and see each regional office).

To go out of that particular weather office region, go back to the map and click another place and you can set up again.

I didn’t know it was that difficult. You didn’t have to type all that out but I do appreciate it. All I can do is give you a like and when I save up enough I can give you 50 internets. Maybe Monday? :)

Also, and I bet you know, but there is a cool app called FarmLogs. It’s great for a specific area you want to track. It uses geomapping and obviously an estimate. But really cool. The full pay version is super expensive.

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I didn’t know it was that difficult. You didn’t have to type all that out but I do appreciate it. All I can do is give you a like and when I save up enough I can give you 50 internets. Maybe Monday? :)

Thx.  Yeah most of the rain totals for a local area are often simply done/compiled by the TV stations, i.e. KXAN does one for our viewing area.  You'd think there'd be a handy-dandy database for Texas rain totals by this or that category, and maybe there is for free somewhere, but I don't know where.  I used to use NOAA data but those sites were changed or something.  But this is NOAA and it's free, and not really so bad. Anyway, once you get used to the NOWData product it's not really that laborious to check, plus it gives you means, totals, averages, etc. in the result - pretty sweet for a free product.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

Also, and I bet you know, but there is a cool app called FarmLogs. It’s great for a specific area you want to track. It uses geomapping and obviously an estimate. But really cool. The full pay version is super expensive.

FarmLogs is what I use out at the ranch.  Technically, the LCRA map covers it, but there isn't a gauge within 30 miles or so.  It's a guesstimate at best.  I was out there two weeks ago and had 2.5" in the rain gauge off the patio, but the FarmLogs showed 1/2".  

To your point, it's kind of interesting that there's not a single site or entity that tracks rainfall.

4 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

FarmLogs is what I use out at the ranch.  Technically, the LCRA map covers it, but there isn't a gauge within 30 miles or so.  It's a guesstimate at best.  I was out there two weeks ago and had 2.5" in the rain gauge off the patio, but the FarmLogs showed 1/2".  

To your point, it's kind of interesting that there's not a single site or entity that tracks rainfall.

You’d think the US drought monitor would have that data. 

On 11/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, Paper_jam said:

And you live... where?

On 11/3/2021 at 9:20 PM, phdhorn said:

I haven't followed your 1-5 process; will it also report on hail?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up...the NWS is looking at a potential heavy rain and severe threat for Thanksgiving Day and into Black Friday for SE Texas.  You may want to ensure your plans involve being under cover from the rain.

Moisture
return starts off meager but as this upper low evolves into a
potent storm system the WAA just cranks up. Wednesday should be
warm and breezy. The main focus is shifting into Thanksgiving and
Black Friday time frame as this upper low approaches. Deep
moisture transport on strong inflow to the system will place SETX
in the warm sector for Thanksgiving so be sure the turkey fryers
are tied down (and safe from fire). Have trended way up on
temperatures in advance of the front Abundant moisture and strong
dynamics are coming into play for this period. Timing still an
issue but just a heads up a significant rain/wind/severe event is
shaping up for SETX. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

PhDhorn...and others:

What's the story with the rain Wednesday night/Thursday?  I can't break away from work until after Wednesday lunchtime.  I know there's gonna be godawful traffic from Austin to Fort Worth but I've got to make the drive to see my children for Thanksgiving.  I-35's gonna I-35.  But for rain purposes, when's the best time to go?  I'm partial to going when there's less cars if it means driving in some rain.  So I was thinking either later Wednesday like 7:00p...or asscrack of dawn Thursday morning around 5:00/6:00am.  ?

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

No rain Wednesday (today).
Overnight rain Thursday, ending early, probably by 9 a.m. or so, then clearing and colder (60ish).
No rain Friday.
Tiny bit of rain Saturday with a reinforcing cool front, clearing later in the day.

When you say “clearing” for tomorrow after the rain moves out around 9 am, do you mean clearing rain and still cloudy for the rest of the day, or does the sun come out?

Thnaks for what you do and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

• Hook 'Em 2

I can't tell which way the system is moving.  But it looks like it clears north of us first, then here in Central Texas around 8 or 9am.  I'm planning to leave, in the rain, around 5:30am for Fort Worth.  Looks like from here to Georgetown will be wet, but shouldn't be much traffic.  By the time I hit Temple/Waco, rain looks like it completely stops...in time for holiday travelers/construction traffic.  At least, that's what I'm planning for.  Thanks everybody for updates.  

29 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

When you say “clearing” for tomorrow after the rain moves out around 9 am, do you mean clearing rain and still cloudy for the rest of the day, or does the sun come out?

Thnaks for what you do and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

No, it'll be cloudy all day and windy as hell - and that shitty north wind - I shoulda said "clearing out".  Gonna feel colder than the temp for Thxgiving, but I kinda like it that way.  Sat. another weaker low moves in from SW but won't do much here.  Clouds should be around most of the next 3 days - Sunday clearing.  But pretty late fall like days... fireplace weather.

Rain should shut off though for most of ATX/N by 9-noon... not a huge rainmaker... yeah, the farther north you go the quicker you'll be thru the rain... if you're leaving at dawn it should be rainy up through maybe Waco-ish, then not after that.

BTW, I wanna give a shoutout to I think the best TV weather guy is in Austin - Zack Shields on Ch. 7.  You might not see him much, he's mostly weekday mornings, but man this guy's forecast is just rapid-fire with every stat.  He give the best micro-and macro- forecast and I think they give him a little longer than average - about 3 minutes.  He's not flashy, and his forecast isn't glittery and he doesn't do a lot of "down home" colloquialisms.  But of everyone on TV in ATX right now, I love the way he presents the weather, it's by far the most complete and informative.  And no I'm not his lover nor is he paying me to be (or in any other way).  Workhorse, just the facts, ma'am.  The only downside are goofy cartoons and gifs but most channels suffer from that.  Anyway, I've gotten to really like this guy.

Check him out on their site if you really want a great weekday forecast (and into the weekends on his Thur-Fri editions).

Bonus - I couldn't believe it - I saw Tim Ross after all these years (KVUE Met even before Mark Murray, back during Katie Kelly days of mid-late 80's) - he does weather for the RFD channel (I think it's that one).  Holy shit a blast from the past (didn't like him much, too goofy, but glad to see he's still in the business).

Editted forr spelingg.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

^
This.  Anybody been out to Lost Maples lately?  How's the foliage looking?  Online photos aren't very abundant nor helpful.  Wanna take the girls camping again before Christmas.  

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

IMG_20211124_125705649.thumb.jpg.bda877c4f4fb4cb4f620699f1a0849c2.jpg

... Or you could see fall in Texas is in my front yard. Planted this red maple 25 years ago and it's survived everything. Great looking tree. Leaves are almost gone but I love a real autumn on my lawn.

I hesitate to say this, but you should wack the lower branch the right.  I have to do that on my pecans and it hurts big time.  It supposedly helps growth, or so I've been told.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:43 AM, phdhorn said:

BTW, I wanna give a shoutout to I think the best TV weather guy is in Austin - Zack Shields on Ch. 7.  You might not see him much, he's mostly weekday mornings, but man this guy's forecast is just rapid-fire with every stat.  He give the best micro-and macro- forecast and I think they give him a little longer than average - about 3 minutes.  He's not flashy, and his forecast isn't glittery and he doesn't do a lot of "down home" colloquialisms.  But of everyone on TV in ATX right now, I love the way he presents the weather, it's by far the most complete and informative.  And no I'm not his lover nor is he paying me to be (or in any other way).  Workhorse, just the facts, ma'am.  The only downside are goofy cartoons and gifs but most channels suffer from that.  Anyway, I've gotten to really like this guy.

I watch him every morning.