Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Sorry if already discussed... when is the last time someone came to Texas directly from a coordinator position? As in we didn’t hire a head coach from someone else’s program. I truly believe this is a primary reason to why Sark will hire a better staff than Strong or Herman. He’s not bringing in a bunch of guys who just recently worked for him and attempting to do things the exact same way they did the previous year at a different school. He is going to end up bringing in the majority of his staff from separate programs, which hopefully leads to new and collaborative ideas that can positively impact Sark’s program. Just my two cents. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I believe Terry Joseph was a GA when current Cal DC Pete Sirmon coached at Tennessee.  So despite what the dude up thread said it might be Pete Sirmon. 

I will be fucking pissed if our DC ends up being Sirmon. That is the same kind of C-tier 'But he is a friend of a friend!' horseshit we've had the last 8 years. Not going to worry about it till it happens but hiring Sirmon would be an absolutely massive red flag imo. Having serious shots at Arnett, Freeman, Odom, potentially even Quinn, and Ash already on campus? The end result simply cannot be goddamn Sirmon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, HateYouAndMyself said:

I will be fucking pissed if our DC ends up being Sirmon. That is the same kind of C-tier 'But he is a friend of a friend!' horseshit we've had the last 8 years. Not going to worry about it till it happens but hiring Sirmon would be an absolutely massive red flag imo. Having serious shots at Arnett, Freeman, Odom, potentially even Quinn, and Ash already on campus? The end result simply cannot be goddamn Sirmon. 

If it makes you feel better I think it’s more likely to be DeRuyter than Sirmon.  

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I guess you could interpret that to mean we're hiring a dedicated CBs coach as well.

But I doubt Raymond is still in play (not that I seriously believed it would happen).

Multiple groups said that part of Raymon's 'demands' for leaving would including having full control over the secondary. That doesn't mean he had to be the only secondary coach on campus but it does probably mean he won't accept having someone else directly above him as 'defensive pass game coordinator' or whatever. Us hiring him to that specific position makes Raymond 100% donezo I'd have to think. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I guess you could interpret that to mean we're hiring a dedicated CBs coach as well.

But I doubt Raymond is still in play (not that I seriously believed it would happen).

Yeah - seems like Joseph is a coordinator and they will have a DB 'position' coach.

To go with a DC?  Co-DC?

One other thought: if we're moving to a 3-3-5 (or 3-2-6, even), it's possible we have a third coach for the DBs. Blake Gideon coached the nickel backs at UH.

Seems far-fetched, but it's not like anyone has a firm idea of what's going on.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

One other thought: if we're moving to a 3-3-5 (or 3-2-6, even), it's possible we have a third coach for the DBs. Blake Gideon coached the nickel backs at UH.

Seems far-fetched, but it's not like anyone has a firm idea of what's going on.

It’s far-fetched.

6 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I thought Cal was one of the better teams nationally on Defense the past few years. Why is Sirmon a C Tier Candidate? Hypothetically speaking.   

It helps to be good nationally on defense when your conference plays god awful offense. Antiquated schemes and mediocre, underdeveloped talent galore up and down the PAC. So I take any claims of Cal even being all that good defensively in the first place with an absolutely massive grain of salt. Then looking deeper Sirmon only recently was made Co-DC and he isn't even the primary guy. Tim Deruyter is their primary DC who calls plays, as I understand it, and above them both is their HC Wilcox who himself has a background in being a DC and is probably far more responsible for whatever success they've had then the guys under him. Nor have Sirmon nor Dereuyter shown themselves to be weapons on the recruiting trail though maybe someone can correct me on that if I'm mistaken? I know its hard to land bigger fish at Cal but the quality of talent they would now be expected to bring in, and the level of competition they will have trying to recruit, would be a sizable step up. 

I'm not saying he is a shit tier coach. To me A-tier = Whales like Muschamp, B tier = really good guys with some questions or not as long a track record like Freeman, Arnett, etc. and then C-tier are people that have been... fine, but hardly mind blowingly impressive, and are only getting hired because they are friends of friends. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

If Joseph is allowed to hand out bags, then he's going to be a better recruiter here than at Notre Dame. Coaching ability, that's a question that needs to be answered.

I think that is the major red flag here. You only have so many coaching positions and we need a true player development to hopefully, for the first time in like a decade, help our CBs stop sucking balls and make good on their potential. That is what burns a bit in this Joseph hire. He doesn't push the needle on the development side. Still keeping an open mind and this could be a HUGE win for us depending how the staff rounds out. 

Another interesting connection.  Bo Davis was DL coach with Pete Golding at UTSA in 2017.  This DC could still go several different ways but the options are narrowing.   One thing seems for sure.  Sark is not going to interview random people he does not know or his friends do not know.  

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

It helps to be good nationally on defense when your conference plays god awful offense. Antiquated schemes and mediocre, underdeveloped talent galore up and down the PAC. So I take any claims of Cal even being all that good defensively in the first place with an absolutely massive grain of salt. Then looking deeper Sirmon only recently was made Co-DC and he isn't even the primary guy. Tim Deruyter is their primary DC who calls plays, as I understand it, and above them both is their HC Wilcox who himself has a background in being a DC and is probably far more responsible for whatever success they've had then the guys under him. Nor have Sirmon nor Dereuyter shown themselves to be weapons on the recruiting trail though maybe someone can correct me on that if I'm mistaken? I know its hard to land bigger fish at Cal but the quality of talent they would now be expected to bring in, and the level of competition they will have trying to recruit, would be a sizable step up. 

I'm not saying he is a shit tier coach. To me A-tier = Whales like Muschamp, B tier = really good guys with some questions or not as long a track record like Freeman, Arnett, etc. and then C-tier are people that have been... fine, but hardly mind blowingly impressive, and are only getting hired because they are friends of friends. 

Are you familiar with advanced stats?  The ones that take quality of opponent into consideration?

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I think that is the major red flag here. You only have so many coaching positions and we need a true player development to hopefully, for the first time in like a decade, help our CBs stop sucking balls and make good on their potential. That is what burns a bit in this Joseph hire. He doesn't push the needle on the development side. Still keeping an open mind and this could be a HUGE win for us depending how the staff rounds out. 

Which is why Nahlin is saying its unlikely Joseph is coaching DB's - he is more likely the Safeties coach and 'Pass Game Coordinator'/ Louisiana Recruiter.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Another interesting connection.  Bo Davis was DL coach with Pete Golding at UTSA in 2017.  This DC could still go several different ways but the options are narrowing.   One thing seems for sure.  Sark is not going to interview random people he does not know or his friends do not know.  

According to an article posted earlier - Saban reached out to Bo Davis before hiring Golding and Davis gave him a glowing recommendation.