Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

I still can’t imagine a scenario where we have three basically confirmed names on defense (Gideon, Joseph, maybe Davis) plus speculation on others like Tosh and Raymond but no DC in place or even buzz about the DC. Something kinda screwy going on IMO

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, RGBIII said:

I still can’t imagine a scenario where we have three basically confirmed names on defense (Gideon, Joseph, maybe Davis) plus speculation on others like Tosh and Raymond but no DC in place or even buzz about the DC. Something kinda screwy going on IMO

Agreed...I’m trying to trust the process, but it is increasingly difficult when I can’t figure out what the process is.

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

CDC has clearly done a good job keeping a lid on info throughout this whole process. No one saw Sark coming and similar things happening with assistants. Tough as impatient fans like us but it's good to see.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Surprised those guys are keeping the DCs name quiet. Muschamp already showing his guys have discipline. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

That’s hardly a history together.

GAs spend a shitload of time together breaking down film and doing grunt work. Depending on how demanding the coordinator is, they’ll spend 12-16 hours a day together. GA can be a stressful-ass job, so it would make sense if they formed a bond in the fix hole. 

It still amazes me that Texas fans just pencil in hires for coaches who have an offer for a promotion in responsibilities. We literally were pontificating and even betting an assistant the NFL who has better job offers would take a position coach as either LB or DL at Texas. What is our thinking that coaches who are in line for coordinator jobs are just going to take the same role at Texas? 

36 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nothing screwy it just seems to point to Sark has his guy at DC and these are their picks to round out the staff

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Starting to make me a believer in the Golding theory but I just don't see how he leaves Bama unless he is getting fired and I can't see why Sark would want to hire a guy Satan has lost faith in. Square peg, round hole type situation there...  but it definitely seems like Golding being the dude makes the most sense as to why its so quiet yet positional hires are happening. 

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

As an analyst with Bama, was he able to recruit? Seems like an unknown there.

I don't think he did any actual recruiting for Bama in his role as analyst but people have said previously he is really good at communicating his vision for an offense and QB to croots. Not sure what that is worth, if anything, but those comments came from some Akron guys I know who were always impressed with him /shrug 

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

CDC has clearly done a good job keeping a lid on info throughout this whole process. No one saw Sark coming and similar things happening with assistants. Tough as impatient fans like us but it's good to see.

I was starting to believe that the insiders might actually have a pretty good feel for how this search was going with all the names and buzz about specific assistants getting thrown around but that Joseph hire coming from absolutely nowhere makes me think they are just as full of shit as always and we 100% should not trust the 'Davis, Raymond, etc' talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Starting to make me a believer in the Golding theory but I just don't see how he leaves Bama unless he is getting fired and I can't see why Sark would want to hire a guy Satan has lost faith in. Square peg, round hole type situation there...  but it definitely seems like Golding being the dude makes the most sense as to why its so quiet yet positional hires are happening. 

But why keep that quiet now? Saban is already losing his OC and, according to reports, his OL coach. What’s the harm in announcing his DC is leaving? I’m not buying the Golding theory.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

But why keep that quiet now? Saban is already losing his OC and, according to reports, his OL coach. What’s the harm in announcing his DC is leaving? I’m not buying the Golding theory.

I guess to stop the players from being worried about whose coaching them next year (if the replacement isn't ready to announce) instead of focusing on the game? I'm not sure I really believe that myself though.

Realistically its probably a situation where Sark would like to hire Golding but Golding is only going to leave if Bama can find a suitable replacement, perhaps even Muschamp who would forgo his planned year off to work with Satan again, or something like that. Could be moving pieces where we think its Golding but he isn't ready to firmly commit until everything is in place. I hope its not that scenario though because that leaves us with a high chance of our asses hanging out in the wind if he just stays there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Really hope we're still hiring a CB coach in addition to Gideon and Joseph. CB is not a position to get lax on in today's game.

I could see Joseph coach S and someone else CB, then having Gideon be ST with nickel or just unofficial secondary coaching. Then have one DL coach and one LB coach. 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Who was our LB coach from 2008-2010?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Really hope we're still hiring a CB coach in addition to Gideon and Joseph. CB is not a position to get lax on in today's game.

I could see Joseph coach S and someone else CB, then having Gideon be ST with nickel or just unofficial secondary coaching. Then have one DL coach and one LB coach. 

This. 

Especially with Sark having been vocal both in the past and recently how much he likes the 3-3-5 (and most guys we are talking about as DC can run variations of it) it would be full on clown fiesta to go into 2021 with no coaches on staff that actually specialize in coaching CBs. 

Party Fiesta GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We all would have said the same thing when Herman was hired. 

exactly and hence the reason to be skeptical.  Sark is our guy but nothing in his career says he can win 10-12 games as a head coach.  the D needs to be more than competent, especially in the big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We all would have said the same thing when Herman was hired. 

Except not at all because many pointed out his offenses weren’t great at Houston and a lot of us said it was going to be trouble once he hired Beck and said he wanted Beck to call plays. Oh and we knew our offensive personnel was pretty shitty. 

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The DC knows. 

All of Arnett, Golding, Sirmon, and Boom coach LBs so the fact we don’t have a LB coach yet doesn’t tell us much about who the DC will be. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except not at all because many pointed out his offenses weren’t great at Houston and a lot of us said it was going to be trouble once he hired Beck and said he wanted Beck to call plays. 

All of Arnett, Golding, Sirmon, and Boom coach LBs so the fact we don’t have a LB coach yet doesn’t tell us much about who the DC will be. 

And he brought meekins and warehime with him

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except not at all because many pointed out his offenses weren’t great at Houston and a lot of us said it was going to be trouble once he hired Beck and said he wanted Beck to call plays. 

could be Sirmon or somebody to LB coach and Quinn to DC

spacer.png

Edited by Bevo14

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

New site motto? @immamac

Actually it should be the university of Texas new slogan instead of what starts here changes the world.

Texas-  “What starts here started off as a drunk brain fart at some rich mega donors vacation home, following another OU loss, was simultaneously hyped and ridiculed on Surly, was erroneously tracked on Flightaware, resulted in fantastic smoked and grilled meat concoctions, involved rare and expensive hard spirits and gun photo-ops, was eventually revealed to be all bullshit, but after options B-E also declined, did, in some minuscule way....change the world”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TFB:

Spoiler

Updated DC Pecking Order

***Will Muschamp – He was the top guy. Reports are out saying that Muschamp is going to sit out this year. However, I am being told that this isn’t the case. I’m hearing that Saban wants to get the band back together and that Muschamp is likely to headed to Bama after the NC to take over as DC there.

***Dan Quinn – Have heard he currently holds a Texas offer and is the new top priority. Quinn had a brief stint as the Florida DC but for the most part has spent the past two decades in the NFL. I was told last night that Quinn has a DC offer from the NFL. So, he’s going to have to decide whether he wants to be in college or stay in the NFL. Folks I spoke to believe he will stay in the NFL but that’s just their opinion.

***Zach Arnett – Am told Mississippi State DC, Zach Arnett is the next option after Quinn. The Terry Joseph hire is interesting though because I had heard Arnett was going to try to bring one of his secondary guys from one of his previous stops. Not sure if that would be a deal breaker. I’m told Arnett is also a potential target for the Oregon job so either way Texas will have some competition. A source close to Arnett told me he’d likely pick Texas over Oregon but again, if Sark isn’t going to let him bring his secondary guy, I have to wonder if that would things in favor of Oregon.

Other Names We’ve Discussed

***Chris Ash – Am told he is waiting to see what Urban Meyer does and is hoping to get a spot on that potential staff. If not, I believe Florida has targeted him for the safeties spot. Also, now that Freeman has passed on the LSU job, I’m told he’s a candidate at LSU.

***Pete Golding – I’m told Alabama DC Pete Golding is likely out after the season. Haven’t heard anything about him being a Texas DC target but he’s a name that comes up just because of the Alabama/Saban ties and the fact that he will be available if Texas needs to go that route.

***Tosh Lupoi – In RE Tosh Lupoi, last Sunday, we noted the following about the possibility of Lupoi (full article here):

However, CJ has a tie to Lupoi as well and his source said something similar as my source – that basically Lupoi was unlikely to take something in college if it wasn’t as a DC.

***Derrick Ansley – Ansley is currently the DC at Tennessee and I have heard he wants out (shocker, I know). Did here that Ansley is a possibility for a secondary spot but not as a DC.

Edited by nycHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except not at all because many pointed out his offenses weren’t great at Houston and a lot of us said it was going to be trouble once he hired Beck and said he wanted Beck to call plays. Oh and we knew our offensive personnel was pretty shitty. 

We're gonna be slapped in the face when we hire the Kentucky DC out of nowhere. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Hide contents

Updated DC Pecking Order

***Will Muschamp – He was the top guy. Reports are out saying that Muschamp is going to sit out this year. However, I am being told that this isn’t the case. I’m hearing that Saban wants to get the band back together and that Muschamp is likely to headed to Bama after the NC to take over as DC there.

***Dan Quinn – Have heard he currently holds a Texas offer and is the new top priority. Quinn had a brief stint as the Florida DC but for the most part has spent the past two decades in the NFL. I was told last night that Quinn has a DC offer from the NFL. So, he’s going to have to decide whether he wants to be in college or stay in the NFL. Folks I spoke to believe he will stay in the NFL but that’s just their opinion.

***Zach Arnett – Am told Mississippi State DC, Zach Arnett is the next option after Quinn. The Terry Joseph hire is interesting though because I had heard Arnett was going to try to bring one of his secondary guys from one of his previous stops. Not sure if that would be a deal breaker. I’m told Arnett is also a potential target for the Oregon job so either way Texas will have some competition. A source close to Arnett told me he’d likely pick Texas over Oregon but again, if Sark isn’t going to let him bring his secondary guy, I have to wonder if that would things in favor of Oregon.

Other Names We’ve Discussed

***Chris Ash – Am told he is waiting to see what Urban Meyer does and is hoping to get a spot on that potential staff. If not, I believe Florida has targeted him for the safeties spot. Also, now that Freeman has passed on the LSU job, I’m told he’s a candidate at LSU.

***Pete Golding – I’m told Alabama DC Pete Golding is likely out after the season. Haven’t heard anything about him being a Texas DC target but he’s a name that comes up just because of the Alabama/Saban ties and the fact that he will be available if Texas needs to go that route.

***Tosh Lupoi – In RE Tosh Lupoi, last Sunday, we noted the following about the possibility of Lupoi (full article here):

However, CJ has a tie to Lupoi as well and his source said something similar as my source – that basically Lupoi was unlikely to take something in college if it wasn’t as a DC.

***Derrick Ansley – Ansley is currently the DC at Tennessee and I have heard he wants out (shocker, I know). Did here that Ansley is a possibility for a secondary spot but not as a DC.

If the Muschamp/Alabama stuff is true - then it does make Golding a possibility (not just because Bama fans are idiots). 

saw this article posted on another site / does a good job outlining Golding’s successes at Alabama (despite what you might hear from Alabama faithful). 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/lets-finally-give-pete-golding-break-deserves-2020/

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wouldn’t be a very good start if sark was hired because he said he’d have muschamp, got cdc all excited about that, then can’t deliver. 

If you’re hiring a guy because of a Coordinator - then you’re shit at your job and you’ve hired the wrong guy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Junk to chew on re Sark, Golding, Ash, and Herman.  My interpretation:  Alabama's offense has been remarkably consistent after the first game.  Their defense was improving over the course of the year and then hit Florida.  I think they got out coached and out Pitts'd in that game.  Our offense trended downward until we hit two teams in disarray.  Herman got out coached against WVU and ISU and the second one sealed his fate.  On the defensive side of the ball, we rapidly improved and played well enough to win the conference without the corresponding offensive dip.  It's also interesting that vs the field, we played OU very well.

image.thumb.png.1d04636c368d86a05f8d7246a295e60e.png

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If you’re hiring a guy because of a Coordinator - then you’re shit at your job and you’ve hired the wrong guy. 

All I have to go off of is what cdc himself said.  He was excited about the staff mentioned in the interview process. Since we don’t know who all was interviewed or what they said about the coaching staff, and we went with sark despite his past and the fact that he wasn’t currently a head coach, cdc must have really been persuaded by his answer. So if that doesn’t materialize...

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All I have to go off of is what cdc himself said.  He was excited about the staff mentioned in the interview process. Since we don’t know who all was interviewed or what they said about the coaching staff, and we went with sark despite his past and the fact that he wasn’t currently a head coach, cdc must have really been persuaded by his answer. So if that doesn’t materialize...

I think it was more "Sark knows a bunch of top-tier staffers, and we're in a position to moneywhip them". Look at guys like Flood and Davis.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This hire was bigger than a DC - and if it wasn’t then the wrong fucking people were in charge and we’re in for another decade of pain. 

A staff goes beyond one hire. I imagine CDC was excited by Flood. I hope he was excited by Bo Davis. I expect there are hires to come that will generate excitement. 

And it’s a huge jump singling out Muschamp as the only thing CDC may have been excited about.
  • Hook 'Em 1