Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

After seeing Peter Sirmon mentioned I think he is a name to watch. Coached LBs at Washington and USC for Sark/Wilcox, and was also AHC/recruiting cooridnator at SC. Wilcox's LB coach/co-DC/ recruiting coordinator at Cal now.

I'm sure they are swinging for big names, as the hire would've been made already if he was the guy, but I could see him as a fallback, especially with Ash seeming to be out.

I was confused for a second reading the Freeman hire tweet and couldn't figure out who Bob Hinton was. 

I then realized: "oh, they have a name for their defensive coordinator like you'd name a stadium or an award"

They really are a lot like aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

After seeing Peter Sirmon mentioned I think he is a name to watch. Coached LBs at Washington and USC for Sark/Wilcox, and was also AHC/recruiting cooridnator at SC. Wilcox's LB coach/co-DC/ recruiting coordinator at Cal now.

I'm sure they are swinging for big names, as the hire would've been made already if he was the guy, but I could see him as a fallback, especially with Ash seeming to be out.

That would be a fairly dog shit fallback. You don't hire the third-in-command guy at a PAC school who doesn't face anything really close to the kind of offenses we face 3-4 times a year on a regular basis. I don't even think Sirmon calls defensive plays for Cal. That is the kind of hire you make at Tech. That is the kind of bullshit hire Charlie Strong would have to make because no one else would agree to work with him. Sirmon being our showrunning DC would be a catastrophic failure of the process and I'll keep repeating that no matter how many times I get negged or shouted down every time he gets brought up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I was confused for a second reading the Freeman hire tweet and couldn't figure out who Bob Hinton was. 

I then realized: "oh, they have a name for their defensive coordinator like you'd name a stadium or an award"

Georgia does the same thing with their DC

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Georgia does the same thing with their DC

And where has that gotten them? 

Even funnier - I figured that Bob Hinton was some legendary dean or coach from ND's storied past that tragically passed too soon.

Nope. Just some dude that cut a $5 million check. 

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

That would be a fairly dog shit fallback. You don't hire the third-in-command guy at a PAC school who doesn't face anything really close to the kind of offenses we face 3-4 times a year on a regular basis. I don't even think Sirmon calls defensive plays for Cal. That is the kind of hire you make at Tech. That is the kind of bullshit hire Charlie Strong would have to make because no one else would agree to work with him. Sirmon being our showrunning DC would be a catastrophic failure of the process and I'll keep repeating that no matter how many times I get negged or shouted down every time he gets brought up. 

At least you seem to recognize that you’re just repeating the same thing over and over again... but I think everyone understands your feelings on Sirmon at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Even funnier - I figured that Bob Hinton was some legendary dean or coach from ND's storied past that tragically passed too soon.

ND is structured where all their coaches are paid through and endowment program they have set up. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

It makes sense to me. A lot of professors are endowed, why not coaches?  Although 5 mil seems low for the DC. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Please ask CDC how much it will cost me to create the RGB3 Special Teams Coach who doesn’t fuck up the deep snapping/hold except maybe once a year at most Award. I’ll pay if it comes in some formal tweet like that (Max $1000)

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

ND is structured where all their coaches are paid through and endowment program they have set up. 

I guess that's kind of cool from a business/operations standpoint. It's still pretty funny and seems like something out of Infinite Jest or Idiocracy. 

"Hey so we're bringing you on, your official title is going to be Bob Hinton DC/LB coach"

"Who's Bob Hinton?"

"Oh just some guy that we shook down for a few million"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cashcar said:

Could you do us all a favor and just go fuck yourself? 

For thinking that we shouldn't hire Peter fucking Sirmon as DC? Stop being a retarded pussy. Settling for bullshit like a Sirmon hire when he has no practical experience being 'the guy' and no experience even being 'the second in command' of a major program's defense is how you backslide from a national contender into... whatever the fuck we currently are. Take your own advice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

For thinking that we shouldn't hire Peter fucking Sirmon as DC? Stop being a retarded pussy. Settling for bullshit like a Sirmon hire when he has no practical experience being 'the guy' and no experience even being 'the second in command' of a major program's defense is how you backslide from a national contender into... whatever the fuck we currently are. Take your own advice. 

@satyanash@South Austin

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

It makes sense to me. A lot of professors are endowed, why not coaches?  Although 5 mil seems low for the DC. 

Again - I get it. I mean my first thought when I figured it out was: "because of course they do". 

It's still funny to me because... it's football. Which I'm sure in ND's eyes is just as distinguished, honorable and important as something like a tenured professorship in astrophysics.  

I feel like they could at least have the donor name it after another noteworthy coach in program history, but maybe that defeats the purpose. Really, when you think about it, the whole idea/practice of paying to have your name on something is kind of a silly human invention/fascination. That doesn't make me any less confident that this will catch on at other schools - I'm sure my alma mater is already looking into it. 

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Except ND has a history of championships and winning. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Michigan has 3 endowed positions including the HC. 

J. IRA AND NICKI HARRIS FAMILY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
JIM HARBAUGH

SANFORD ROBERTSON OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
JOSH GATTIS

DONALD C. GRAHAM FOOTBALL OFFENSIVE LINE COACH
ED WARINNER

Here's the difference:

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

69365a5003d3e103cf6a9246e865218c.png

Exact wording for clarification because he says think aka doesn't know shit as usual

These fucking guys. FCB had a segment this week where he was still trying to sell that CDC really believed Herman would be coach after he released his statement. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Also worth noting, Notre Dame also had a separate cornerbacks coach (not Joseph). However, they didn't have a third coach whose most logical position group was safeties.

Blake was trained by Akina, who coached all DBs and cross-trained them. Obviously Blake never had any business at CB, but you don’t have to have played it to coach it. Gideon has always had a reputation as being very bright. Will and Akina loved him. I’m not thrilled with the idea that he could be coaching corners, but it doesn’t leave me wringing my hands, either. I’m optimistic he might be a good developer. Preferably, we get a bonafide CB coach, but Blake may be the coach while Joseph is the recruiter. We’ll see. 

• Hook 'Em 1