Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

That is a Tim Beck type fuck up. I rather keep Ash. When a program that is constantly is in the playoffs is trying to get rid of someone that means they are perceived to be insufficiently good by those top level programs. How can that be good for us? Ash left because he got a job and was not let go by such a top quality program.

This is not close to a “Tim Beck” level fuck up. Do you honestly think Nick Fucking Saban  would willfully employ someone as incompetent at their position as Tim Beck? 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Maybe Gideon is coaching nickel backs with Arnett or Quinn coaching linebackers? 

QB- Milwee

RB-Drayton

OC/OL- Flood

TE- Banks or ????

WR- Wiggins or ???

DL- Davis

DC/LB- Arnett or Quinn

CB- Raymond

S- Joseph

NB- Gideon

its either that or I need to give up my Raymond dream already 

Maybe, but you can most likely  drop Quinn and add Golding in his place.

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

That is a Tim Beck type fuck up. I rather keep Ash. When a program that is constantly is in the playoffs is trying to get rid of someone that means they are perceived to be insufficiently good by those top level programs. How can that be good for us? Ash left because he got a job and was not let go by such a top quality program.

A bunch of you were pissing down yalls leg when OU was rumored to be pursing Golding after '18. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This is not close to a “Tim Beck” level fuck up. Do you honestly think Nick Fucking Saban  would willfully employ someone as incompetent at their position as Tim Beck? 

Well he employed Lufoi as a DC and Lufoi was far worse as a DC than Beck was an OC. So literally yes in answer to your question. 

edit: to be clear I actually rather like Golding. Much prefer Arnett since I think he is a 'yes' we could get right now and avoid the damned drama or risk of having to reach for a C tier guy, but Saban is definitely not infallible when it comes to promoting the wrong guys up within his team. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Maybe, but you can most likely  drop Quinn and add Golding in his place.

The apparent hire of Joseph is proof enough for me that no one knows much.  I never heard his name mentioned once before it was stated that he was being hired, and yet, most of this Board seems to be sure we have a good idea what the options are for each of the positions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Eventually people will realize the Tim Beck hire is about 25th on the list of reasons Tom Herman is no longer employed at Texas. He didn’t look half bad this year at NC State when he didn’t have a head coach breathing down his neck.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

exactly and hence the reason to be skeptical.  Sark is our guy but nothing in his career says he can win 10-12 games as a head coach.  the D needs to be more than competent, especially in the big 12.

what's so special about Big 12 offenses now? OU yea, Okie State sometimes.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Eventually people will realize the Tim Beck hire is about 25th on the list of reasons Tom Herman is no longer employed at Texas. He didn’t look half bad this year at NC State when he didn’t have a head coach breathing down his neck.

Good QB coach at the very least 

Just now, hookem48 said:

what's so special about Big 12 offenses now? OU yea, Okie State sometimes.

I'm just saying we need to push for more than competent on D.  we have an offensive coach.  we got sucked into the mastermind with Herman.  I'm from Missouri at this point and I'd like to get a DC that can get us to be way more than competent.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Well he employed Lufoi as a DC and Lufoi was far worse as a DC than Beck was an OC. So literally yes in answer to your question. 

He promoted Lupoi to DC to avoid losing him. Everyone knew that was a risk.....and even then, Alabama played for a NC. Holding, by all accounts is a good coach and His stats are inflated a bunch because Alabama’s offense scored often.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The ‘hate’ for Golding is completely fucking irrational and is born from a fan base not being able to understand how offensive football - specifically moving into the SEC - has changed the game. 

Golding has coordinated better defenses, for longer, and has more experience than Arnett - not to mention two years working under arguably the greatest coach ever and certainly a top 3 defensive mind in Nick Saban. But he’d be looked at as a bad hire while Arnett would be home-run. 

I admit I have certainly been effected by the group-think of the ‘whelmed-ness’ of a Golding hire - but if we’re only looking at the product on the field (the only thing the vast majority of us would know about) then he is a damn good hire. 

Now go offer Raymond a cool million and let’s get this over with. 

I would be fine with a Golding hire especially if Raymond is on staff. I think going from Ash to Golding is pretty lateral but the rest of the position coaches are such a massive upgrade that it doesn’t matter 

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

He promoted Lupoi to DC to avoid losing him. Everyone knew that was a risk.....and even then, Alabama played for a NC. Holding, by all accounts is a good coach and His stats are inflated a bunch because Alabama’s offense scored often.

Yeah but it was still an objectively worse decision to promote Lufoi than our decision to hire Beck. Lufoi had to be stripped of his DC duties in all but name like 3 weeks into the season with Saban just doing it himself to get through that stretch. 

Really pointless for us to argue about that though because I actually agree with you on Golding. He seems to be a very good coach and we could do far worse. 

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

My biggest concern remains his results with the pass happy, spread teams on the schedule. The only two teams they played this year with explosive offenses:

Ole Miss: 48 pts allowed

Florida: 46 pts allowed

And that's with 5-star talent

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Horns BBall just beat #14 West Virginia on a three pointer with 1.1 seconds left after being behind for most of the second half (quarter) and Andrew Jones FTW.

10-1 record !

Personally speaking, I support this wrong thread post.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Well he employed Lufoi as a DC and Lufoi was far worse as a DC than Beck was an OC.  

5 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Yeah but it was still an objectively worse decision to promote Lufoi than our decision to hire Beck. Lufoi had to be stripped of his DC duties in all but name like 3 weeks into the season 

Do you genuinely not know his name or do you have a typing impediment?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

My biggest concern remains his results with the pass happy, spread teams on the schedule. The only two teams they played this year with explosive offenses:

To be fair, Sark will just outscore them...like he did haha

1 minute ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Do you genuinely not know his name or do you have a typing impediment?

Its an inside joke with a Bama friend who always says it with an F (because Fuck Lupoi) kinda like our FCB, and its gotten the point where I just legitimately had a brain fart and didn't realize I still using the wrong spelling on here, too LOL

33 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

The apparent hire of Joseph is proof enough for me that no one knows much.  I never heard his name mentioned once before it was stated that he was being hired, and yet, most of this Board seems to be sure we have a good idea what the options are for each of the positions.

Wasn’t he mentioned as a guy the cinci coach was going to bring to lsu with him way back when that was reported?

10 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

Joey Freshwater is no slouch. Plus he is very familiar with Bama’s D having practiced against it for a couple of years. I don’t know on Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Damn Golding is not even hired yet and we already have people defending him like they did Shawn Watson and Tim Beck before they predictably sucked. 

Who was here defending Shawn Watson and Tim Beck? The voices in your head? Watson for sure was universally despised. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's why when I read "Joseph was passed over by Mickens" it made me laugh. ND's problem this year was the corners not the safeties. 

Kyle Hamilton was a first team All-ACC safety and ND's best defensive player. 

We had a bidding war with LSU for ND's new DC Freeman.  I think it boils down to that Freeman got the right to hire his own defensive staff.  Freeman had worked with Mickens but not T Joseph.

8 hours ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

plus, now he will be recruiting to a blue blood

dems fightin words!

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The ‘hate’ for Golding is completely fucking irrational and is born from a fan base not being able to understand how offensive football - specifically moving into the SEC - has changed the game. 

Golding has coordinated better defenses, for longer, and has more experience than Arnett - not to mention two years working under arguably the greatest coach ever and certainly a top 3 defensive mind in Nick Saban. But he’d be looked at as a bad hire while Arnett would be home-run. 

I admit I have certainly been effected by the group-think of the ‘whelmed-ness’ of a Golding hire - but if we’re only looking at the product on the field (the only thing the vast majority of us would know about) then he is a damn good hire. 

Now go offer Raymond a cool million and let’s get this over with. 

The real question is why would Saban let him go if he’s happy with him? It would be a purely lateral move for Golding who has no connection with Sark prior to Bama. So I think a lot of people view the prospect of Golding becoming our DC as simultaneous with Saban wanting to move on from him. 

Golding did great work at UTSA, but he’s still a pretty big unknown and has had some real struggles at Bama against spread teams like UF and Ole Miss. I think both Golding and Arnett are pretty big unknowns at this point, so I don’t view either of them all that differently.  

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Golding did great work at UTSA, but he’s still a pretty big unknown and has had some real struggles at Bama against spread teams like UF and Ole Miss. I think both Golding and Arnett are pretty big unknowns at this point, so I don’t view either of them all that differently.  

One thing I remember reading during Oklahoma's pursuit of Golding is that he really wanted to bring the Alabama DB coach Karl Scott with him.

Just now, Newy25 said:

Something happened with Alabama’s defense this year as the season went on. They went from completely average to totally dominant. I only casually followed them but does anyone know what happened? 

I wouldn't call that SECCG performance "dominant."

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The real question is why would Saban let him go if he’s happy with him? It would be a purely lateral move for Golding who has no connection with Sark prior to Bama. Golding did great work at UTSA, but he’s still a pretty big unknown and has had some real struggles at Bama against spread teams like UF and Ole Miss. I think both Golding and Arnett are pretty big unknowns at this point, so I don’t view either of them all that differently.  

Maybe Boom told him he wants in.  If you have an 8 and a 10 wants the D, what do you do? 

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Something happened with Alabama’s defense this year as the season went on. They went from completely average to totally dominant. I only casually followed them but does anyone know what happened? 

Outside of the Florida game you aren't wrong. I mean they did shut out the Pirate. Granted it was like Miss Sts QB was playing with no arms. 

• Like 1