Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm actually glad CDC was checking out the staff possibilities of the potential HCs. Maybe he's a nincompoop, but I wish he had been around to check out Mensa's at the interview. 

What -- you mean the outstanding AD Perrin didn't do that? 

• Hook 'Em 1

True. And just because I’m putting extreme importance on the dc hire doesn’t mean anything. 

They obviously need to hire a good DC, though. Just not sure how much of a realistic option Muschamp was and if he was ever actually discussed as a likely possibility between Sark and CDC. Would hope not.

13 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm actually glad CDC was checking out the staff possibilities of the potential HCs. Maybe he's a nincompoop, but I wish he had been around to check out Mensa's at the interview. 

yes assuming this is true it is at least a step in the right direction.   its a pretty simple question to ask and I am truly not sure it was ever asked on the previous 2 hires  not hiring a G5 staff that would be good.

I could see Herman lying about who he could bring and then striking out.  He had to bring the G5 staff because he couldn't be caught getting turned down with big time staff.  Drayton was probably his biggest get.

I wonder if Saban fucked over Sark, making Sark think he was getting Muschamp and then pulling the switch with Golden after Sark announced. Maybe a way to get back at him for taking Flood and potentially others?

It’s really strange because you’ve got to believe that he’s leaving on good terms, given Sark’s commitment to stay through the playoffs. Whole situation is strange. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's also interesting that vs the field, we played OU very well.

Yeah but we also played OU before Rattler broke out and unless I'm mistaken they were still missing that beast of a RB right? OU was a completely different team in the second half of the season really starting from after our game. Not disagreeing with any of your overall points but that is context that shouldn't be ignored when considering our performance against OU. Rattler went from looking brain dead to like a superstar in that overtime period and carried that momentum forward. 

With regards to that TFB blurb: Golding is a solid coach but I do not love the optics of hiring a guy Bama has just fired (which would be the case if they bring in Muschamp) especially when that guy is someone with close relationship to the dude making the hire. Can we just please stop being the fucking program that gives 'soft landings' to all the premium schools' throw away trim? Not saying Golding would not or should not be the guy, just saying I don't want to hear all the bullshit that will come with it. 

I have to imagine that 'Arnett may not pick Texas after Joseph hire' part is absolute nonsense though. Surely we are not so fucking stupid as to eliminate one of our top two choices by rushing to make a position coach hire we had no reason to rush. Have to think that was viewed as a fit with all our DC options or it wouldn't have happened 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know we are supposed to be happy with the Bo Davis hire and Saban loves him, but I just strolled down memory lane on his all time recruits and started getting PTSD: Alex Norman, Paul Boyette, Jake McMillon, Terrel Cuney, Lorenzo Joe, and Chevoski Collins. I hope to hell this staff can evaluate. It's the one thing that Herman's crew actually did consistently well. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Bo-Davis-271/AllTimeRecruits/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know we are supposed to be happy with the Bo Davis hire and Saban loves him, but I just strolled down memory lane on his all time recruits and started getting PTSD: Alex Norman, Paul Boyette, Jake McMillon, Terrel Cuney, Lorenzo Joe, and Chevoski Collins. I hope to hell this staff can evaluate. It's the one thing that Herman's crew actually did consistently well. 

Guess you just skipped the 15 ppl before them 

Been there before

Former Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer has been assembling a coaching staff, including some assistants from the college ranks, in case he decides to become the Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach, per league sources.

Meyer and the Jaguars met Friday night on owner Shad Khan's boat in Florida, but it was not the first time the two sides have been together, as there has been regular communication and interaction, according to sources.

A decision from Meyer and the Jaguars is expected this week, per sources.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30679597/sources-urban-meyer-assembling-staff-case-takes-jacksonville-jaguars-head-coaching-job

Edited by Michael Knight

With Davis now being official, the numbers just don’t make sense coaching wise if they want to bring on Quinn and have him assist with the DL (which he’s worked with his whole career) in addition to being DC. In that case they would need to hire a LB and corners coach still.

Edited by Hookem2147

What I get out of all this talk of Bama coaches coming to Texas is this:

Saban wants Sark to be very successful very quickly. That’s my gut feeling.

By all accounts Wiggins and flood have done a great job there. Golding appears to have done fine and is young and still learning. Banks a potential possibility and not immediately shut down by Saban?

Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

With Davis now being official, the numbers just don’t make sense coaching wise if they want to bring on Quinn and have him assist with the DL (which he’s worked with his whole career) in addition to being DC. In that case they would need to hire a LB and corners coach still.

Assuming 5 defensive coaches

DT- Davis

DC/DE- Quinn

LB-???

CB- ?? Hopefully Raymond

S- Joseph

Gideon DB assistant ST

6 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Guess you just skipped the 15 ppl before them 

I was focused on his work at Texas. Other than Shiro Davis who wasn't great shakes either that's a huge bust rate. Those other 15 you refer to were hand picked by Nick Saban. Hence my comment about evals. Again, I'm not knocking the hire and I know he has a great rep as a developer of talent, just pointing out that his first run here wasn't necessarily a rousing success. 

Howe

Here’s the latest information heading into Saturday as Steve Sarkisian’s Texas staff continues to come together:

— Last night we reported Notre Dame’s Terry Joseph is headed to Texas. Joseph has been the defensive backs coach and pass game coordinator for the Fighting Irish for the last three seasons and it’s to be determined what his exact role will be with the Longhorns.

Those roles, we’re told, are going to be sorted out and assigned after Sarkisian announces his defensive coordinator hire.

— This falls in line with what we’ve reported regarding Blake Gideon and his role with the Longhorns. Gideon’s role also hinges on what happens with Jeff Banks, Alabama’s tight ends coach/special teams coordinator, who sources have told Horns247 has a job on Sarkisian’s staff if he’s ready to move from the Crimson Tide.

— Speaking of defensive coordinator candidates, Sarkisian’s shortlist, which we reported on this week’s edition of The Insider, is down one name. Notre Dame hired Marcus Freeman away from Cincinnati Friday to replace Clark Lea, who left the Fighting Irish to replace Derek Mason as Vanderbilt’s head coach.

— Mississippi State’s Zach Arnett is not only under consideration for Sarkisian’s Texas staff, but he’s emerged as a candidate for the same position at Oregon. Mario Cristobal is looking for a new man to lead that side of the football with Andy Avalos moving on from the Ducks to replace Bryan Harsin as the head coach at Boise State.

— Another name to watch at Oregon is Tosh Lupoi, who’s been mentioned early on as a candidate for the job and has been mentioned as a possibility to join the Texas staff. We reported Friday that Lupoi wants a fast track to becoming a head coach and a defensive coordinator job in the Pac-12 could certainly provide a ticket to running his own program.

— Former Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn was also on the shortlist. It’s worth noting that with the Dallas Cowboys firing defensive coordinator Mike Nolan Friday, Quinn‘s name has already popped up as a potential candidate to fill the void on Mike McCarthy‘s staff.

— Since his name popped up on The Flagship message board, it’s worth noting that we checked with a source on Cal’s Peter Sirmonas a potential defensive coordinator candidate since he was with Sarkisian at Washington and USC. Based on that conversation, we don’t believe Sirmon is a candidate for the Texas job.

— We’re waiting on further confirmation of A.J. Milwee as the next quarterbacks coach for the Longhorns (Sarkisian will call his own plays). Milwee is officially out of the mix at Arkansas State where he was due to be the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for Butch Jones, who announced Friday he’s retained Keith Heckendorf, who’s been in Jonesboro in that role for the last two seasons.

— While we wait for movement on the Bo Davis front, Mark Hagen took to Twitter Friday to post his farewell message. The defensive tackles coach for the Longhorns for one season, Hagen is the latest known coach from Tom Herman’s staff to not be retained by Sarkisian along with offensive line coach Herb Hand, tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jay Boulware and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike Yurcich(hired Friday as Penn State’s new offensive coordinator).

— As of the close of business Friday, running backs coach Stan Drayton is the only confirmed holdover from the Herman regime who has an on-field position on Sarkisian’s staff.

— Nothing has changed regarding the status of Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood, who we still expect to join Sarkisian’s staff.

— Alabama’s Holmon Wiggins remains a candidate to be the next wide receivers coach at Texas, but we’re continuing to monitor the situation with Oklahoma’s Dennis Simmons for the same position. We continue to hear there’s mutual interest with Simmons (a teammate of Sarkisian’s at BYU in the 1990s) and Texas, but it’s going to take a lot to pry Simmons away from Lincoln Riley with two having worked together at Texas Tech, East Carolina and Oklahoma and it’s far from a certainty that a deal comes to fruition.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

What I get out of all this talk of Bama coaches coming to Texas is this:

Saban wants Sark to be very successful very quickly. That’s my gut feeling.

By all accounts Wiggins and flood have done a great job there. Golding appears to have done fine and is young and still learning. Banks a potential possibility and not immediately shut down by Saban?

Just a thought.

I doubt Saban is feeling so altruistic for a team he recruits against for Texas talent and plays on the field the year after next. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

DT- Davis

DC/DE- Quinn

LB-???

CB- ?? Hopefully Raymond

S- Joseph

Gideon DB assistant ST

Numbers wouldn’t match up on the offensive side of the ball. They need QB, RB, WR, TE and OL, which brings the total assistants to 11 if you combine what you just listed.

Edited by Hookem2147

22 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We had a bunch of terrible evaluations with Harsin and Muschamp as well. I’m pretty sure the issue was Mack Brown insisting we had to have 75% of the class done by the second Junior day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

DT- Davis

DC/DE- Quinn

LB-???

CB- ?? Hopefully Raymond

S- Joseph

Gideon DB assistant ST

Gideon would have to coach TEs for that to work, and I doubt that happens. 

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was focused on his work at Texas. Other than Shiro Davis who wasn't great shakes either that's a huge bust rate. Those other 15 you refer to were hand picked by Nick Saban. Hence my comment about evals. Again, I'm not knocking the hire and I know he has a great rep as a developer of talent, just pointing out that his first run here wasn't necessarily a rousing success. 

That’s on Mack way more than Davis. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Numbers wouldn’t match up on the offensive side of the ball. They need QB, RB, WR, TE and OL, which brings the total assistants to 11 if you combine what you just listed.

Gideon wouldn’t count as one of the ten in this scenario. He would be a defensive assistant

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

So are we pretty much giving up any hope for Lupoi? I want to believe. Give me all the recruiting violations we can get. 

He’s not going to be a position coach in college next year. It’s Internet fan fiction. He’s going to have coordinator job offers and/or NFL offers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Gideon wouldn’t count as one of the ten in this scenario. He would be a defensive assistant

I find it hard believe he would leave his on field coaching role at Ole Miss to take an off field role at Texas where he couldn’t do recruiting, etc. But we will see

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

He's going to get one of the 10 recruiting/onfield roles - he's coming from that kind of position at a P5, and he's won ST COTY for all of college football a couple years ago. He doesn't LOVE Texas thaaat much.

• Hook 'Em 1