Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

If Oregon decides they want Arnett they will probably get him. It is the more desirable DC gig, even over us, when you factor in what a rotting dumpster fire all but like 3 teams are in the PAC. Even the 'better' teams like Washington, Utah, USC, etc. have major warts and are hardly consistent offensive juggernauts at this point. Simple fucking Jack could make himself look like a viable HC candidate as a DC in the PAC with Oregon's talent on that side of the ball. 

If Arnett is 'our guy' we probably can't wait till Tuesday to offer him. 

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

If we’re going to get creative with titles to justify pay here we go in the secondary 

Terry Joseph - S/Passing Gam Coordinator

Corey Raymond - CB/Co-DC

Blake Gideon - ST/Possibly Nickel

DC/LB or DL

LB or DL/Run Game Coordinator

Then there is always the coveted associate head coach that could be labeled somewhere

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I’m not sure why the initial reaction was Joesph hurst our chances with Raymond when it looks like that’s the guy he signed off on at LSU. 

Was this just Surly going full Surly? 

Totally 

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

I thought Cal was one of the better teams nationally on Defense the past few years. Why is Sirmon a C Tier Candidate? Hypothetically speaking.   

Per wiki, Deruyter's been DC since WIlcox got there in 2017, and of course, Wilcox is a defensive guy himself. Sirmon joined Cal in 2018 as AHC/LB coach and has added co DC and recruiting titles. So he maybe deserves less credit than those other two.

Of course, Sirmon was AHC/ LB coach/recruiting coordinator for Sark at USC while Wilcox was DC, so there's a definite connection. If Sark want's the Wilcox D, Sirmon may be the next best bet.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

I think he is a good coach but that is somewhat of a relief even though Nahlins track record on this stuff seems very shitty

I don't think Eric has a lot of sources, but to outright way it won't be Tim is revealing.  

Also, common for defenses to have run/pass coordinators on d?

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean I guess we should be upset that one the DCs we were thrilled about potentially hiring was going to bring Joseph with him to LSU. It's interesting that he didn't want to stay at ND, which means we showed him the money.

He was passed over.  Doesn't sound like he was going to work for Freeman and he's bringing Mickens in

Just now, Machinator said:

Also worth noting, Notre Dame also had a separate cornerbacks coach (not Joseph). However, they didn't have a third coach whose most logical position group was safeties.

I always thought Gideon would be a coach in waiting for the secondary behind two guys that have more experience, while continue to coach the STs.

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The biggest mistake the 9.95ers made was presenting the idea of the all-star staff as even plausible. It's predictably not going that way, and the paysite subscribers are melting down.

Was it a mistake? Or are they getting tons of traffic?

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know what happens with Gideon but it’s been speculated they might put him somewhere else other than DB. Seems fairly obvious they hired Gideon primarily because of ST. 

Texas is definitely hiring another DB coach based on the lack of specification for either Gideon or Joseph.  

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Love seeing a name never mentioned pop up. I’m just going to sit back and trust the Sark. 

Kind of where I am. Trust him until he pisses me off twice. I believe in the guy  I really like his history and the fact that he’s been humbled then had the opportunity to grow under Saban. Don’t see him making defensive staff hires unless he’s picked his DC and is discussing them with him. 

Edited by alphahorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Those that are hating this Joseph hire, after Raymond, who was your guy?  Sark just coached against Joseph.  Could he have liked what he saw?

I think people who are hating the Joseph hire hate the idea of him coaching corners. He isn't a CB coach. He has always (or at least for past few years) been a safeties coach and isn't supposedly all that great at player development. So great at game planning and a very good recruiter, sure, but if its just him and Gideon running what has been an ass secondary for most of the last decade that would be an alarm bells ringing situation. All that said- I'm like 99% sure we will hire another CB coach and none of the above is relevant. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Yeah, pretty sure he has a DC agreed upon, I just don't see all these hires on D without the DC getting any input. DC is usually a position coach too, Right now looks like it is narrowed down to a DC/LB guy. But what do I know.........nothing. Still want Raymond.

Yeah the linebackers are the one unit not addressed. I’d bet the DC is a linebacker guy

At first, I guess I was disappointed, but then Idk anything about Joseph.  I think he's a part of a decent defensive staff that likely doesn't recruit SEC type corners.  We can bitch about his recruiting at aggy, but aggy was never the alpha school in the SEC.  So, other than "he's not Corey Raymond," why are we unhappy?  I get being pissed at Watson or Beck type hires, but Joseph, I don't know.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I think people who are hating the Joseph hire hate the idea of him coaching corners. He isn't a CB coach. He has always (or at least for past few years) been a safeties coach and isn't supposedly all that great at player development. So great at game planning and a very good recruiter, sure, but if its just him and Gideon running what has been an ass secondary for most of the last decade that would be an alarm bells ringing situation. All that said- I'm like 99% sure we will hire another CB coach and none of the above is relevant. 

Yeah Joseph is a scheme guy

Holy shit I think I just cracked the code reading Twitter and how were going to get Raymond. Here is my prediction and conspiracy theory that ties into LSU.

Terry Joseph’s cousin is Mickey Joseph the WR coach for LSU

We hire Mickey as TE coach

and with help from Mickey and Terry we pull Raymond as DB coach. 

BOOM

MOTHER FUCKERS! 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Holy shit I think I just cracked the code reading Twitter and how were going to get Raymond. Here is my prediction and conspiracy theory that ties into LSU.

BOOM

MOTHER FUCKERS! 

Your last part.  Maybe Boom is the DC?

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

At first, I guess I was disappointed, but then Idk anything about Joseph.  I think he's a part of a decent defensive staff that likely doesn't recruit SEC type corners.  We can bitch about his recruiting at aggy, but aggy was never the alpha school in the SEC.  So, other than "he's not Corey Raymond," why are we unhappy?  I get being pissed at Watson or Beck type hires, but Joseph, I don't know.

That's all it is. People think we hired Joseph instead of Raymond when they have nothing to do with each other. 

This dumb narrative of "Raymond wants to run the entire secondary" is made up 9.95 nonsense as Raymond has been coaching with a safeties coach for years at LSU. 

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Your last part.  Maybe Boom is the DC?

I’m guessing Arnett or Golding, more so Arnett. 

also was reading that Terry Joseph and Corey Raymond are close friends and that’s why LSU wanted him because Raymond recommended him. 

Gideon as Special Teams coach could assist the DC with their position group and learn 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

BOOM

MOTHER FUCKERS! 

Always Sunny Fx GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Well, Offensive staff will be lightyears ahead of Hermans staff, only assume the D will be improved to. Sark has an enormous amount of coaching connections and it seems they may have gave him a big ass budget.

Joseph is better than any DB coach under Strong or Herman that’s a for sure thing imo

• Hook 'Em 1

Crazy theories:  
Gideon is going to coach TEs along with ST
Gideon is ST only
Gideon is going to be a third DB coach, in which case two offensive coaches share TE duties
Raymond isn't coming and Gideon is coaching safeties, Joseph corners and DC linebackers

or my favorite, Joseph is strictly an analyst, not a coach.
That'll be whatever $9.95 translates to in ethereum.