Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Is it possible Milwee could be brought on in strickly an analyst role? Don't know how likely that would be considering he had an OC job in his lap but that was his role at Bama.

Would free up a spot and allow a sole LB coach

This is one that I've been wondering about and is a slight possibility.

3 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Is it possible Milwee could be brought on in strickly an analyst role? Don't know how likely that would be considering he had an OC job in his lap but that was his role at Bama.

Only reason this crossed my mind too is I know Riley is his own QB coach, so it’s not unheard of.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was focused on his work at Texas. Other than Shiro Davis who wasn't great shakes either that's a huge bust rate. Those other 15 you refer to were hand picked by Nick Saban. Hence my comment about evals. Again, I'm not knocking the hire and I know he has a great rep as a developer of talent, just pointing out that his first run here wasn't necessarily a rousing success. 

You think Bo hand picked Lorenzo joe and Jake McMillan?  Doubtful.  But even if that were true I’m sure sark will not task him to recruit wideouts and offensive lineman

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

No.

Did Millwee turn down Butch Jones or did he get passed over? Aren't there reports coming out now that he got passed over? Yeah, it is probably unrealistic for him to take an analyst role for one more year. Just trying to make sense of everything.

6 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Yes. People normally uproot their family and lives and leave a good situation for lateral moves all of the time. That is the most logical conclusion to make. 

Just now, Kurt Bowels said:

Did Millwee turn down Butch Jones or did he get passed over? Aren't there reports coming out now that he got passed over? Yeah, it is probably unrealistic for him to take an analyst role for one more year. Just trying to make sense of everything.

He got hired and announced and then after a week, right when his mentor got a new job, he leaves. Those reports are textbook damage control.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He got hired and announced and then after a week, right when his mentor got a new job, he leaves. Those reports are textbook damage control.

Yeah there is no reason to believe those 'reports' at all if they are even swirling. He was well regarded at Akron and then spend some tutoring under his mentor, arguably the best current offensive mind in football, at Bama..  there is no fucking way Ark St wouldn't want him unless they discovered some massive red flag we are unaware of. 

6 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

It's been reported Milwee isn't a big recruiting guy as well. Just a thought.

He wasn't recruiting because he was an analyst what the fuck are we even doing at this point suggesting our QB coach isn't going on the road

"Hey Quinn Ewers, you know the guy who would be working with you on a daily basis? He would love to be here to see you but can't because he's not allowed to recruit off-campus"

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Only reason this crossed my mind too is I know Riley is his own QB coach, so it’s not unheard of.

The one slight possibility I see is: Millwee thinks he can do better than Butch Jones and Arkansas State. Considering some of the other moves he's made in his career, he's a guy who looks at the long game and not the short term fix. That is the only reason I can see him following Sark for another year as an analyst. He's waiting patiently for the right opportunity.

With that said, he's probably the QB coach. But it would be huge for Texas if he's an analyst and Sark coaches the QBs in order to free up another staff spot.

Maybe Gideon is coaching nickel backs with Arnett or Quinn coaching linebackers? 

QB- Milwee

RB-Drayton

OC/OL- Flood

TE- Banks or ????

WR- Wiggins or ???

DL- Davis

DC/LB- Arnett or Quinn

CB- Raymond

S- Joseph

NB- Gideon

its either that or I need to give up my Raymond dream already 

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Hide contents

Updated DC Pecking Order

***Will Muschamp – He was the top guy. Reports are out saying that Muschamp is going to sit out this year. However, I am being told that this isn’t the case. I’m hearing that Saban wants to get the band back together and that Muschamp is likely to headed to Bama after the NC to take over as DC there.

***Dan Quinn – Have heard he currently holds a Texas offer and is the new top priority. Quinn had a brief stint as the Florida DC but for the most part has spent the past two decades in the NFL. I was told last night that Quinn has a DC offer from the NFL. So, he’s going to have to decide whether he wants to be in college or stay in the NFL. Folks I spoke to believe he will stay in the NFL but that’s just their opinion.

***Zach Arnett – Am told Mississippi State DC, Zach Arnett is the next option after Quinn. The Terry Joseph hire is interesting though because I had heard Arnett was going to try to bring one of his secondary guys from one of his previous stops. Not sure if that would be a deal breaker. I’m told Arnett is also a potential target for the Oregon job so either way Texas will have some competition. A source close to Arnett told me he’d likely pick Texas over Oregon but again, if Sark isn’t going to let him bring his secondary guy, I have to wonder if that would things in favor of Oregon.

Other Names We’ve Discussed

***Chris Ash – Am told he is waiting to see what Urban Meyer does and is hoping to get a spot on that potential staff. If not, I believe Florida has targeted him for the safeties spot. Also, now that Freeman has passed on the LSU job, I’m told he’s a candidate at LSU.

***Pete Golding – I’m told Alabama DC Pete Golding is likely out after the season. Haven’t heard anything about him being a Texas DC target but he’s a name that comes up just because of the Alabama/Saban ties and the fact that he will be available if Texas needs to go that route.

***Tosh Lupoi – In RE Tosh Lupoi, last Sunday, we noted the following about the possibility of Lupoi (full article here):

However, CJ has a tie to Lupoi as well and his source said something similar as my source – that basically Lupoi was unlikely to take something in college if it wasn’t as a DC.

***Derrick Ansley – Ansley is currently the DC at Tennessee and I have heard he wants out (shocker, I know). Did here that Ansley is a possibility for a secondary spot but not as a DC.

Saban strikes back. Of course. 

Interesting Quinn update though. Seems like he'll stay in the NFL. With Arnett getting looks at Oregon and LSU, options are dwindling fast

38 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

What I get out of all this talk of Bama coaches coming to Texas is this:

Saban wants Sark to be very successful very quickly. That’s my gut feeling.

By all accounts Wiggins and flood have done a great job there. Golding appears to have done fine and is young and still learning. Banks a potential possibility and not immediately shut down by Saban?

Just a thought.

Saban’s going to do everything in his power to keep Sark from taking any other Bama coaches with him. I actually just recently watched the HBO special about Saban and Belichick, and there was a segment where they both discussed having assistant coaches leave to take head coaching jobs. Saban said something along the lines of “I’m all for helping my guys develop as coaches and then move on to other things, but I have a real problem when those coaches think they can just take other pieces of our program with them. I’m not ok with that.”

That doesn’t necessarily mean Sark won’t get any of the Bama coaches that have been mentioned, but I do fully expect Saban to derail as many of those as he can.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Saban’s going to do everything in his power to keep Sark from taking any other Bama coaches with him. I actually just recently watched the HBO special about Saban and Belichick, and there was a segment where they both discussed having assistant coaches leave to take head coaching jobs. Saban said something along the lines of “I’m all for helping my guys develop as coaches and then move on to other things, but I have a real problem when those coaches think they can just take other pieces of our program with them. I’m not ok with that.”

That doesn’t necessarily mean Sark won’t get any of the Bama coaches that have been mentioned, but I do fully expect Saban to derail as many of those as he can.

Sark brought Flood and maybe Wiggins with him so I see that a little different but yeah I don't think Saban would be cool with defensive coaches or Banks following (unless he's firing them)

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Maybe Gideon is coaching nickel backs with Arnett or Quinn coaching linebackers? 

QB- Milwee

RB-Drayton

OC/OL- Flood

TE- Banks or ????

WR- Wiggins or ???

DL- Davis

DC/LB- Arnett or Quinn

CB- Raymond

S- Joseph

NB- Gideon

Arnett is a LB coach by trade I believe so he would definitely handle that unit. He also probably doesn't need two DL coaches in his system. Its a flex 3-3-5 that he does change up week to week but I'd think having  Davis - DL, Arnett - LB, Joseph - Safeties / Passing D Cord, ??? - CBs (pls be Raymond) and then Gideon as ST / helper with LBs and nickels would make a ton of sense. Adequately covers the secondary and still lets you go get a rainmaker at TE.

edit: Oh, I would just as happily take Ansley as Co-DC (non-primary) coaching CBs if that report about him wanting out at Fake-UT is true. Raymond would be the sexy hire but Ansley is very damn good himself assuming we are confident he's clean of their scandal. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

The TFB "update" seems out of date as it still believes Freeman to LSU is a thing.  I feel confident our next DC will be one of Muschamp (preferred), Arnett (not bring Jason Washington - I will permit myself to believe that nightmare scenario) or Golding.  I'll be happy with any of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Saban foisting this Golding scrub on Sark is just like when Meyer pushed Beck to Herman

Beck was not a great OC, but probably the best position coach and recruiter on Herman's staff. And he was up for the Broyles award this year so...

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

QB- Milwee

RB-Drayton

OC/OL- Flood

TE- Banks or ????

WR- Wiggins or ???

DL- Davis

DC/LB- Arnett or Quinn

CB- Raymond

S- Joseph

NB- Gideon

Definitely makes sense with Arnett. I don't think Quinn has ever coached LBs though so I'm not sure what would happen in that case. If Quinn split DL with Davis, you'd then have to pick 2 of CB, LB, TE which isn't ideal

You think Bo hand picked Lorenzo joe and Jake McMillan?  Doubtful.  But even if that were true I’m sure sark will not task him to recruit wideouts and offensive lineman

For what it’s worth, 247sports shows Davis and Giles as the primary recruiters for Jake.

I know it’s way off topic, but it still chaps my ass all these years later. Jake McMillon was a 6’3" 225pound defensive lineman from west Texas that had never played on the offensive side of the ball in his entire life before coming to Austin. Every single person involved in moving him to OL should be taken out back and beaten with a water hose.

21 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

So which coaches did Sark bring with him if any to Alabama? I say all those coaches are fair game.

31 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

The one slight possibility I see is: Millwee thinks he can do better than Butch Jones and Arkansas State. Considering some of the other moves he's made in his career, he's a guy who looks at the long game and not the short term fix. That is the only reason I can see him following Sark for another year as an analyst. He's waiting patiently for the right opportunity.

With that said, he's probably the QB coach. But it would be huge for Texas if he's an analyst and Sark coaches the QBs in order to free up another staff spot.

image.gif.0297a5dc2bbbfd1bf9e3644a89c3ded6.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know we are supposed to be happy with the Bo Davis hire and Saban loves him, but I just strolled down memory lane on his all time recruits and started getting PTSD: Alex Norman, Paul Boyette, Jake McMillon, Terrel Cuney, Lorenzo Joe, and Chevoski Collins. I hope to hell this staff can evaluate. It's the one thing that Herman's crew actually did consistently well. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Bo-Davis-271/AllTimeRecruits/

But you did see the first 3 right.

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I really, really, really think it’s Golding.

That is a Tim Beck type fuck up. I rather keep Ash. When a program that is constantly is in the playoffs is trying to get rid of someone that means they are perceived to be insufficiently good by those top level programs. How can that be good for us? Ash left because he got a job and was not let go by such a top quality program.

Edited by DanTheHorn