Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

4 minutes ago, bullet said:

So is Sark focusing on Ohio St. and doing a Charlie Strong on recruiting his coaches? (do nothing until you absolutely have to)

Is anybody other than Gideon confirmed?  And is even his job defined?

What we see/what comes out ≠ reality

7 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I was confused for a second reading the Freeman hire tweet and couldn't figure out who Bob Hinton was. 

I then realized: "oh, they have a name for their defensive coordinator like you'd name a stadium or an award"

They really are a lot like aggy.

It's worse on the other side of the ball:

South Bend Nine Angels of Anaheim Strength and Conditioning Coach

McDonalds Quarterbackers With Cheese Coach

Sacred Order of Do You Like Gladiator Movies Offensive Coordinator

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bullet said:

So is Sark focusing on Ohio St. and doing a Charlie Strong on recruiting his coaches? (do nothing until you absolutely have to)

It's been a week where he's technically not even hired yet. Nothing is confirmed, this is all just foreplay until Tuesday.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bullet said:

We all need to chill the fuck out.  

This evening we fired a guy nobody knows and we hired a guy nobody knows.  What else did you expect?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

It's worse on the other side of the ball:

South Bend Nine Angels of Anaheim Strength and Conditioning Coach

McDonalds Quarterbackers With Cheese Coach

Sacred Order of Do You Like Gladiator Movies Offensive Coordinator

When we establish "The Yellow Rose Recruiting Coordinator" then I know we're serious about winning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah - seems like Joseph is a coordinator and they will have a DB 'position' coach.

To go with a DC?  Co-DC?

5 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I think that is the major red flag here. You only have so many coaching positions and we need a true player development to hopefully, for the first time in like a decade, help our CBs stop sucking balls and make good on their potential. That is what burns a bit in this Joseph hire. He doesn't push the needle on the development side. Still keeping an open mind and this could be a HUGE win for us depending how the staff rounds out. 

i think you made a good hire.  Not hearing much from fan boards.  TJ recruited Kyle Hamilton out of Atlanta and got him to come to South Bend IN, now our D anchor.   TJ had some disagreements with former ND Star Todd Lyte, which is likely why TL is gone. 

TJ was in charge of safeties, they played fine.  The corners were the problem.  So of course we kept the CB coach Mickens and let UT get Joseph.  I'm not sure any coaching could have made them fast enough to keep up with Clemson/Bama.

Right now everyone in Irishland is gaga that we got Marcus Freeman from U Cincy (LSU wanted him).  Mickens worked with Freeman before so mayyybe TJ thought he would be an outsider. 

As I said not much . Looks like many up and coming assistants are playing on the carousel. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

I guess you could interpret that to mean we're hiring a dedicated CBs coach as well.

But I doubt Raymond is still in play (not that I seriously believed it would happen).

you were clouded by your emotions; it happens to a pretty high percentage of Mentats that haven't had their spice in a while

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Two things: 

1. I couldn't give any fewer fucks about what your aggy friend thinks.

2. We don't even really know what he'll be doing here yet.  If he's coaching Safeties, drawing up defensive gameplans, and recruiting Louisiana - does it matter what he did at CB coach in fucking college station?

plus, now he will be recruiting to a blue blood

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

One of my Favorite Hype Vids   ( this  one and war drums).

every time you hear strong, think in your mind“Sark” and it’s kinda still relevant.

"I looked at you, I'm gonna knock your block off, life goes on.  We're the University of Texas, you the other people, it's just that simple."

Even after he was fired, go through his twitter and it's obvious he's still passionate about the university.  If he says things like that^ to our players and recruits, hell, sign him up.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Timelines suggest Arnett is the front running with Quinn as the backup. My guess is Arnett wants to sit down with Sark before making final decision and needs to wait until Tuesday to hash out responsibilities and control before deciding between his multiple offers.

The easy guess is we'll know Tuesday who our DC is (or isn't).

My guess is that we see a large coaching dump after the Bama game. This will include the offensive guys plus DC.

I can't imagine the DC hasn't been basically hired at this point if Davis (contract offered at least), Joseph and Gideon are all already on board.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

My guess is that we see a large coaching dump after the Bama game. This will include the offensive guys plus DC.

I can't imagine the DC hasn't been basically hired at this point if Davis (contract offered at least), Joseph and Gideon are all already on board.

If he’s already basically hired then the only one who makes sense to me is Golding.  If it was somebody whose season is over we would have gotten the same buzz we are getting about the other “hires”.  

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If he’s already basically hired then the only one who makes sense to me is Golding.  If it was somebody whose season is over we would have gotten the same buzz we are getting about the other “hires”.  

I think any of the DC names out there could make sense: Arnett, Quinn both are basically unemployed. Bumping them back to Tue gives you a big "here's the full staff" kind of announcement while giving you cover for the Bama dudes 

7 hours ago, Modessit said:

Has anyone checked our favorite Twitter user's recent follows for Terry Joseph or anyone else of note lately?

I'm on mobile so I can't filter by most recent.

He did follow Joseph. Think he followed Wiggins pretty recently as well. 

• Like 1

In all of the coaching changes I’ve watched via Shaggy/Surly, there’s never been one with 9.95ers so far out of the loop.  Last night was the ultimate evidence.   The Joseph hire was as much of a shock to them as it was us.  

so with that being said I’m gonna say that Joseph was hired on Raymond’s request of things it’d take to get him, Arnett is our DC cause no one on this board or Twitter or 9.95ers have heard a single name about a LB coach and that Davis will be the DL coach. 

DC/LB - Arnett

DL - Davis

CB - Raymond

S - Joseph

ST - Gideon (and assists with DBs)

That guess is as close to anything the 9.95ers could spit out right now and my source is you crazy bastards here. 

#allgasnobreaksbitch

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

In all of the coaching changes I’ve watched via Shaggy/Surly, there’s never been one with 9.95ers so far out of the loop.  Last night was the ultimate evidence.   The Joseph hire was as much of a shock to them as it was us.  

so with that being said I’m gonna say that Joseph was hired on Raymond’s request of things it’d take to get him, Arnett is our DC cause no one on this board or Twitter or 9.95ers have heard a single name about a LB coach and that Davis will be the DL coach. 

DC/LB - Arnett

DL - Davis

CB - Raymond

S - Joseph

ST - Gideon (and assists with DBs)

That guess is as close to anything the 9.95ers could spit out right now and my source is you crazy bastards here. 

#allgasnobreaksbitch

I agree with this but I see Gideon helping out with outside Linebackers or the “Aztec” position in a 3-3-5 defense with Arnett. 

same role and title he had at ole miss. Special  Teams/Assistant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

That would be a fairly dog shit fallback. You don't hire the third-in-command guy at a PAC school who doesn't face anything really close to the kind of offenses we face 3-4 times a year on a regular basis. I don't even think Sirmon calls defensive plays for Cal. That is the kind of hire you make at Tech. That is the kind of bullshit hire Charlie Strong would have to make because no one else would agree to work with him. Sirmon being our showrunning DC would be a catastrophic failure of the process and I'll keep repeating that no matter how many times I get negged or shouted down every time he gets brought up. 

I don’t disagree. I’m just saying the pieces fall into place for it to go down that way. Hopefully not though.

29 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Ha Ha! | Simpsons Wiki | Fandom

I was laughing at Michigan for extending Harbaugh for 4 years, but lowering his salary. At first glance it made no sense. Then I thought about what they are actually doing. It's actually very smart, but people may see through what they are doing. It only took me five minutes to figure it out.

They weren't ready to fire him yet, but at the same time they really didn't want to pay out 4 years on a new contract.  However, to continue to get recruits, they needed to show support for him with a long contract extension. So, they lowered the yearly salary so they can fire him after 1-2 years, but only pay out the equivalant of 1-2 years of a "real" salary.  Competing schools should point this out to recruits, in case they don't figure it out on their own.

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Per wiki, Deruyter's been DC since WIlcox got there in 2017, and of course, Wilcox is a defensive guy himself. Sirmon joined Cal in 2018 as AHC/LB coach and has added co DC and recruiting titles. So he maybe deserves less credit than those other two.

Of course, Sirmon was AHC/ LB coach/recruiting coordinator for Sark at USC while Wilcox was DC, so there's a definite connection. If Sark want's the Wilcox D, Sirmon may be the next best bet.

Not even close. Sirmon tried to venture out on his own and was fired after one year at two different places. He fucking sucks as a DC. He’s only had success when Wilcox is the one running the defense. He would be a Tim Beck/Shawn Watson level hire. 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I was laughing at Michigan for extending Harbaugh for 4 years, but lowering his salary. At first glance it made no sense. Then I thought about what they are actually doing. It's actually very smart, but people may see through what they are doing. It only took me five minutes to figure it out.

They weren't ready to fire him yet, but at the same time they really didn't want to pay out 4 years on a new contract.  However, to continue to get recruits, they needed to show support for him with a long contract extension. So, they lowered the yearly salary so they can fire him after 1-2 years, but only pay out the equivalant of 1-2 years of a "real" salary.  Competing schools should point this out to recruits, in case they don't figure it out on their own.

It’s been known for a while this is what they were gonna do, and it won’t do them any favors in recruiting. UM will be a test case for seeing what bringing back Herman would’ve done for us, except not quite as and because Harbaugh’s not nearly as incompetent as Herman. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

There was a really good article written some time ago about his hidden compensation package that includes all kinds of deferred income. There are policies taken out in his name that are funded for when he stops working or dies for his family. I think Jim is to the point where he doesn't need the money and it's about the long term setting up of his family. As a season ticket holder and donor with some family ties to the Michigan football team, I can tell you this isn't really in the cards. They are not to the Herman point, nor are they very close. Michigan fired their DC and will move on and forward with Harbaugh. Do the fans want more? Yes, but they know just beating Ohio State in any year basically guarantees them a shot at the playoffs. They have been seeing lots of success with Harbaugh, just not the full enchilada. This season was weird, because I felt like most Michigan fans had realistic expectations for what a covid season meant. Absolutely nothing. They treated it as such. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

DeRuyter would be a vast improvement over Sirmon from a pure DC perspective... but Texas can do better than either.

DeRuyter is an excellent playcaller and runs a solid 3-4 D.  He, along with Becton and Wilcox, turned the pile of steaming dogshit left by Sonny Dykes into a functional defense in 1 year and a pretty salty, if marginally talented defense in 2 years.  Problem with TDR is that he doesn’t recruit for shit.  He doesn’t like it, he’s not very good at it... it’s one of the reasons why Wilcox wanted to ease him out.

Sirmon is an outstanding LB coach... look at what he did with Evan Weaver and Jordan Kunasyk before that.  The TDR system means your ILBs get tackles and those 2 LBs piled up 160-180 a year.  But he has a shit rep as a play caller.  Failed at Louisville and at Mississippi State.  As I said previously, he and Wilcox are as tight as they come.  They played together at Oregon, they coached together numerous times, their families are basically one extended unit...

Sirmon is a good recruiter but not a world beater.  He recruits the Northwest for Cal and has pulled some really solid guys.  But does Texas need to dip into Washington?  Nope... there are only a couple guys a year they might want so can’t imagine it would be worth it.  Sirmon transitioned to play calling this season but Cal only got 4 games due to COVID... small sample size and not terrible but nothing special...

Texas needs to move on from any thoughts on Sirmon.  TDR would be a solid choice in the short term IMO but expect zero recruiting from him...

Edited by Zhorn96
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I feel like if Sirmon was a target we'd have him already.  He is at best a way down the list fall back option.  Can't imagine we will get there, and I would hold on to Ash way before I went with Sirmon.  Seems like Golding or Arnett are the two most likely options.