Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

No, USCs defense was trash. Texas was great on both sides.

yeah they had those two little asian Ting twins on the field trying to stop the most dominant collegiate athlete in history on the most important drive of the game. trash indeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, ousux said:
56 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:
If Saban were retiring after the end of the season, why would Sarkisian come to Texas? Wasn't Sarkisian allegedly being groomed to take over in Tuscaloosa? Why leave an established infrastructure for a renovation project?

Who would want to be the coach immediately following a legend? That rarely works out in the new coaches favor..

Jeff Banks and Mrs. Pole Assassin deserve a look at HFC and first lady of Bama football, imo

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Yes. Alabama is going to be in a real pickle when Saban retires and they have to convince someone to take a job as a head coach of the most talented team in the country with a massive infrastructure and history of success.

Let’s just hope it’s Herman

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm just shocked a little at the idea that a (possible) national championship team could lose their OC, DC, OL, and possibly WR coach to the same team. 

Someone posted about Golding wanting to take Karl Scott with him when Golding was under consideration for the Oklahoma job - Scott and Golding coached together at Southeastern and Tusculum and Texas has what looks like a need for a DB coach.  (It should be noted that Golding has spent most of his career as a 'DB' coach - but I expect that was Safeties.  He has coached LB's at Alabama)

Hell - the 9.95'ers haven't completely ruled out Banks either.

Maybe Saban is retiring?

If you break it down it isn’t so far fetched.
1st they lose the OC.

2nd that OC came to Bama and brought his OL coach at Atlanta with him. So they’re a package

3rd the WR coach came on board at the same time and probably feels closer to Sark and Floyd than to Saban

4th Saban isn’t happy with Golding and he might have been told to find a gig 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think he's talking about how offenses have evolved over the last 15 years - and the idea that because offenses are moving so much faster and there are so many more possessions in a game than 15 years ago that its hard for a team with an elite offense to have an elite defense just because of how many more possessions they'll have to defend.

Exactly, it is a different era now.

'05 would still fuck any of these teams up.

7 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Current-era of football looks derpy and soft compared to the '05 and '09 teams.  

Its because no one remembers what a real OL looks like....that was 15 years ago. 2009 OL still had Colt running for his life and help end his collegiate career in the NC game.

Edited by El Squared

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm just shocked a little at the idea that a (possible) national championship team could lose their OC, DC, OL, and possibly WR coach to the same team. 

Someone posted about Golding wanting to take Karl Scott with him when Golding was under consideration for the Oklahoma job - Scott and Golding coached together at Southeastern and Tusculum and Texas has what looks like a need for a DB coach.  (It should be noted that Golding has spent most of his career as a 'DB' coach - but I expect that was Safeties.  He has coached LB's at Alabama)

Hell - the 9.95'ers haven't completely ruled out Banks either.

Maybe Saban is retiring?

Perhaps the NCAA has had a transfusion of new blood (it had been stacked with SEC alums, as rumor would have it), which might explain it sniffing around LSU, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida.  Maybe even some gung-ho newcomer has decided that the Emperor (Bama) wears no clothes.

I don't know a damn thing, but it does appear strange that Nick would allow his OC, DC, etc. to go to the same school, unless he was at least giving serious consideration to retiring.   Pretend he likes Sark a bunch and has been helping Sark work on his management skills.  Dabo gets first shot at the 'bama job anyway.   Nick knows this stuff.  He's not gonna waste time trying to pitch for his current OC to be his successor when he knows the ultimate 'bama alum lives one neighborhood over.  Nick knows a few things, I imagine.  One of those is that Urban has given up trying to catch him.   Nick will be 70 this year, and probably has a few things he would like to do other than coach football.  Hopefully he will go out Monday night after his 7th National Championship.  He wins Monday night, he is the GOAT- no debate about it.  He is already tied with the Bear.  Why come back after all of that?  It is almost a foregone conclusion that nobody will ever catch 7 NCs.  

56 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Its because no one remembers what a real OL looks like....that was 15 years ago. 2009 OL still had Colt running for his life and help end his collegiate career in the NC game.

I know the Nebraska game had everyone rightfully jumping all over the offensive line, but the Bama tackle was a fluke hit on a speed option. Saddling them with that is ridiculous....Greg Davis on the other hand....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah they had those two little asian Ting twins on the field trying to stop the most dominant collegiate athlete in history on the most important drive of the game. trash indeed. 

and if one of them would have intercepted VY instead of knocking the ball down with about 5 minutes left.......

17 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

I don't know a damn thing, but it does appear strange that Nick would allow his OC, DC, etc. to go to the same school, unless he was at least giving serious consideration to retiring.   Pretend he likes Sark a bunch and has been helping Sark work on his management skills.  Dabo gets first shot at the 'bama job anyway.   Nick knows this stuff.  He's not gonna waste time trying to pitch for his current OC to be his successor when he knows the ultimate 'bama alum lives one neighborhood over.  Nick knows a few things, I imagine.  One of those is that Urban has given up trying to catch him.   Nick will be 70 this year, and probably has a few things he would like to do other than coach football.  Hopefully he will go out Monday night after his 7th National Championship.  He wins Monday night, he is the GOAT- no debate about it.  He is already tied with the Bear.  Why come back after all of that?  It is almost a foregone conclusion that nobody will ever catch 7 NCs.  

I suspect Nick ain't keen on setting Dabo up to succeed.  I do believe that he wants Sark to do well at Texas.  I also believe that Sark and Saban had a discussion on who Sark would bring here and I would be shocked if Saban all of a sudden thought "you know what, I think I do want Muschamp."  Saban doesn't have to do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Regarding the '09 offensive line, all I remember is Donkey Kong Sue throwing them around like ragdolls and the puddles on the field from Hall leaking estrogen out of his vagina.

I am confident several war crimes were committed against Hall that day. As a fan of football, it was amazing to watch. As a fan of Texas it was embarrassing.

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am confident several war crimes were committed against Hall that day. As a fan of football, it was amazing to watch. As a fan of Texas it was embarrassing.

Nothing to embarrassed about. They just try to fall in the right direction as Su stormed by

Other than the nebraska game i dont remember colt running for his life that season. He got hurt on a RPO or whatever it was called back then, not trying to elude rushers. Apparently you and i watched a different game.

Anybody know how many hurries or sacks he had in 09? Quick Google says 0 but i knkw that would be wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yes. Alabama is going to be in a real pickle when Saban retires and they have to convince someone to take a job as a head coach of the most talented team in the country with a massive infrastructure and history of success.
Oh someone will take the job for sure, just don't be shocked if most if not all the big names are a reluctant to follow Saban unless they're made an offer they cant refuse. (Think aggy and their Hobbit) The Bama fanbase is beyond spoiled at this point, they wont tolerate anything close to the sort of shit we've been through the past 7 years.

3 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I don't know a damn thing, but it does appear strange that Nick would allow his OC, DC, etc. to go to the same school, 

Saban isn't 'Allowing' anything. Sark left on his own and the only coach actually likely to be coming with him on the offensive side of the ball is Flood (who would pick Sark over Saban, Saban's wishes be damned, because he is a Sark guy to start with). If we end up with Golding it is because Saban is firing his ass. No other reason. Golding is not picking Texas over Bama, or Sark over Saban, or any other nonsense. The only way he becomes available is if Saban is tired of having to score 60 points every time he plays a good team because Golding can't stop the spread. That doesn't make Golding a bad hire, he would still be an improvement over what we've had, it just makes him not as good as what Saban thinks he can get (likely Muschamp in that scenario though I will be ungodly salty if we take Golding only for Saban to turn around and hire Arnett)

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Saban isn't 'Allowing' anything. Sark left on his own and the only coach actually likely to be coming with him on the offensive side of the ball is Flood (who would pick Sark over Saban, Saban's wishes be damned, because he is a Sark guy to start with). If we end up with Golding it is because Saban is firing his ass. No other reason. Golding is not picking Texas over Bama, or Sark over Saban, or any other nonsense. The only way he becomes available is if Saban is tired of having to score 60 points every time he plays a good team because Golding can't stop the spread. That doesn't make Golding a bad hire, he would still be an improvement over what we've had, it just makes him not as good as what Saban thinks he can get (likely Muschamp in that scenario though I will be ungodly salty if we take Golding only for Saban to turn around and hire Arnett)

You sound awfully sure of yourself on that. Maybe Golding likes Sark better than Saban? 

15 minutes ago, BERT said:

You sound awfully sure of yourself on that. Maybe Golding likes Sark better than Saban? 

Enough to leave the best DC job in the country under the best coach in the country where he has the most talent in the country and has a chance to potentially establish himself as HCIW with Sark now out of the picture? He and Sark must sure be soul mates if that happens. You are right, though; the language I used was perhaps overly demonstrative in saying the only reason he would leave Bama is a firing or Saban retirement. I should have said the only remotely plausible reason for him to leave is that he gets fired and we become his soft landing spot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Enough to leave the best DC job in the country under the best coach in the country where he has the most talent in the country and has a chance to potentially establish himself as HCIW with Sark now out of the picture? He and Sark must sure be soul mates if that happens. You are right, though; the language I used was perhaps overly demonstrative in saying the only reason he would leave Bama is a firing or Saban retirement. I should have said the only remotely plausible reason for him to leave is that he gets fired and we become his soft landing spot. 

I for one would gladly take him given the overall makeup of the staff. My impression so far is 

1) we did not get our first choice on head coach

2) cdc - nice moves behind the scenes on processes and release of news while we came up with someone who did not tarnish the program, involved in a death, was not a repeat of our past mistakes with “ upcoming “ coaches n loyal support staff. I like Sark better than UM for those reasons even before the support staff.  There is such a thing as a Pyrrhic victory...

3) we missed on Muchamp. So what! I love him 2 but look at this supporting cast n how long Boom has been away

4). As a prior caller has mentioned, all candidates are flawed n not Surly perfect. With this support staff,  I know the DC has signed off.  Its CDC n Sark. Just be a good communicator.  FYI- I will take the whole AL staff on OC n DC.

so excited to see what happens next year.  We’re getting everybody in recruiting. Thanks for the QBs and W vs GA Herman!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Other than the nebraska game i dont remember colt running for his life that season. He got hurt on a RPO or whatever it was called back then, not trying to elude rushers. Apparently you and i watched a different game.

Anybody know how many hurries or sacks he had in 09? Quick Google says 0 but i knkw that would be wrong.

The oline was terrible in 2009.  We couldn't run the ball and our entire offense was made up of Colt scrambling around until Shipley got open.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

It is a fairly well accepted theory that Saban isn't an easy man to work for.

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

it was bad, really bad but embarrassing was the Miami Cotton Bowl

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

I wonder if any QB in the history of football got rid of the ball faster than Colt in '09

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I hate myself for replying to you - but two things:

Golding is a damn good DC. 

Golding might want to go somewhere where he can be king of his side of the ball. As it is everyone knows Saban ultimately runs the defense even if he lets someone else make the calls. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

You must be new around here.  Don't you know that everyone would rather be at Texas than anywhere else in the country because of our resources and recruiting hotbed and that every assistant would now much rather work for Sark than any other coach, especially Saban because he's a big meanie, and we will just money whip any candidate we want and make them say no?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Golding might want to go somewhere where he can be king of his side of the ball. As it is everyone knows Saban ultimately runs the defense even if he lets someone else make the calls. 

Yea.  I actually don’t see anything that points to Golding being ass

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He may be a good DC but that doesn’t mean much the last few years. A good DC has about 10% chance of getting a HC job vs a good OC. 
Those numbers are a swag. 

When is the last time a high profile assistant left Alabama and it made any difference? Saban seems to like Sark more than most of his assistants, but make no mistake, Bama wins because of Saban. Sark is the best OC they've had and he's improved scoring by a couple of points a game. They can hire some random guy who isn't drooling on himself and they'll drop off by a few points. He probably has a replacement for every coach on his staff already on his staff as an analyst. There may be slight variations in how they kick the crap out of teams, but they'll still kick the crap out of teams. Saban treats coaches like he treats players, if he loses one it's next man up.

Saban can lose half his staff and he'll be right back in the playoffs next year.

• Hook 'Em 4