Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

15 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

There's zero chance Sark has a blank check for assistant hires, and has in turn demonstrated that he is swinging for the fences on his hires, but despite that has even a fleeting thought of keeping Coleman in anything but an off-the-field role. I would say stop being overreactive and regarded over the "lack of specificity" in a post by Jeff fucking Howe who knows less most 9.95er's (in a year where it's clear that's a lower bar than normal), but surl gonna surl. 

The fact that I “out-scooped” all of them last Friday is proof of this. Lulz. Me. Beat. Them. This alone should be a reason to read everything with a cautious eye. Not that there aren’t some good nuggets of intel. Just read everything with a cautious mindset. 

I just wanted to say, for everyone to have some faith in what is being done. I know people have their favorites and obviously some of those won’t be on the staff—but Sark has put together a good group so far. We won’t know until the damn season starts but there is a lot to be optimistic about. Jmo.

Also it’s snowing! Holy shit! That’s awesome! 

18F6EAA3-069A-4780-9109-45EA8866C44E.gif

6BFA61D0-438B-4DB3-963D-DD4A45F05682.gif

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Wayne said:

More from Howe

Sunday update (10:45 a.m.): We’ve checked in with multiple sources late in the week and throughout the weekend as it relates to Zach Arnett. While we’re not eliminating him as a potential defensive coordinator candidate based on what we heard in the days after Sarkisian’s hiring, we don’t believe the situation is such that Arnett-to-Texas is anywhere close to a foregone conclusion. In fact, we’ve yet to confirm the interest is anything more than just that — interest, in that Arnett is a name to watch but there appear to be other candidates higher above him in the pecking order.

This is one of the emptiest, most stereotypical $9.95er updates I've seen in a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Wayne said:

More from Howe

Sunday update (10:45 a.m.): We’ve checked in with multiple sources late in the week and throughout the weekend as it relates to Zach Arnett. While we’re not eliminating him as a potential defensive coordinator candidate based on what we heard in the days after Sarkisian’s hiring, we don’t believe the situation is such that Arnett-to-Texas is anywhere close to a foregone conclusion. In fact, we’ve yet to confirm the interest is anything more than just that — interest, in that Arnett is a name to watch but there appear to be other candidates higher above him in the pecking order.

So even more conflicting bullshit between the clueless insiders. Yesterday it was all "If we can't get Quinn, Arnett is the clear number 2 guy!" and well we sure as fuck are not getting Quinn. 

The way you know this is bullshit is because even if you Do want Golding over Arnett you are probably still in the very least sending Arnett exploratory dick picks right now and hedging your bets. Chances are too high that Golding will change his mind, or Satan will somehow find a way to fuck us 

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The fact that I “out-scooped” all of them last Friday is proof of this. Lulz. Me. Beat. Them. This alone should be a reason to read everything with a cautious eye. Not that there aren’t some good nuggets of intel. Just read everything with a cautious mindset. 

I just wanted to say, for everyone to have some faith in what is being done. I know people have their favorites and obviously some of those won’t be on the staff—but Sark has put together a good group so far. We won’t know until the damn season starts but there is a lot to be optimistic about. Jmo.

Also it’s snowing! Holy shit! That’s awesome! 

18F6EAA3-069A-4780-9109-45EA8866C44E.gif

6BFA61D0-438B-4DB3-963D-DD4A45F05682.gif

Does your panhandle peep want his money back yet?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wayne said:

More from Howe

So interest is just interest...............interesting.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Does your panhandle peep want his money back yet?

He wanted Tom gone. Obviously, UM was the guy for him. He, like me, is cautiously optimistic. I have hope. Not going to say I wasn’t bummed initially. Because I was. I am starting to feel more  hopeful. So far, I haven’t had any real complaints with the staff being assembled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am in the Ash camp after Odom and Boom were gone. We have seen him make adjustments after OCs expose a weakness. Many of the guys we have hated never seemed to adjust to being exposed. From what I read Golding does not know how to adjust to spread and Arnett we don't know if he will or will not be stubborn with his system. The BIG 12 will expose you that is why year 1 is always good and year 2 not so much.

Lol please name one adjustment Ash made after a weakness was exposed. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

With the caveat that rankings might be a little wonky this year with conferences mostly only playing intra-conference games, some conferences having a limited amount of games, and covid ravaged game-day rosters, Ash's 2020 Texas defense was ranked 40th in FEI. Not sure where it was in SP+, but I'm sure it was somewhere in that ballpark. 

Is that where you think a good DC should have Texas with the amount of talented fielded this season, adjusted for opponent? 

How do you think our talent compared to Mississippi State's this year? They finished 42nd in FEI

The only thing I’ll say in Ash’s defense is that the defense got much better after the first few weeks and probably performed in the 20s from there on out, but I agree we can do better. Ash’s defense especially would take a huge step back without Ossai’s pass rush. He’s reliant on getting pressure with 4, and everything starts to fall apart if he can’t. 

46 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I consider that one of the examples of him being exposed. I don't remember that then happening again. I could be wrong but that is what I mean by adjusting. Had that been Orlando we would have seen it over and over again in subsequent games.

Nope. It happened over and over and he never did anything about it. 

20 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Lulz.

image.thumb.png.c703d2f0498ca5d304229027bf7c6d8a.png

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James CordenNo Idea Reaction GIF by Victoria's Secret PINK

JFC Jeff. How are you that dumb? Coleman will not be one of the 10 assistants. 

• Hook 'Em 3

At this point, it’s pretty obvious it’s going to be Goulding.  He’s close to Bo Davis.  Davis is the guy that recommended him to Saban.  He probably knows he’s on his way out at Bama.  If Davis is the D-line coach, probably because Goulding is the DC.  Is this what it’s looking like right now? 

DC- Goulding 

DL- Davis

LB- Huztler or unknown at this point.

DB:  Joeseph/Gideon.

If this is what we end up with, I’ll give it a B- and be over underwhelmed after CDC saying he’s excited about the staff.  We need a heavy hitter recruiter like Lupoi or Raymond on defense.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, victory88 said:

At this point, it’s pretty obvious it’s going to be Goulding.  He’s close to Bo Davis.  Davis is the guy that recommended him to Saban.  He probably knows he’s on his way out at Bama.  If Davis is the D-line coach, probably because Goulding is the DC.  Is this what it’s looking like right now? 

DC- Goulding 

DL- Davis

If this is what we end up with, I’ll give it a B- and be over underwhelmed after CDC saying he’s excited about the staff.  We need a heavy hitter recruiter like Lupoi or Raymond on defense.  

If it's Golding I would expect him to take LBs as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, victory88 said:

DC- Goulding 

DL- Davis

Goulding coaches LBs so no Hutzler at LB. maybe someone else as the second DB coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RGBIII said:

Still on the Raymond dream. Let him coach CB, Joseph S and Gideon NB/ST

That would be a solid group.  Gideon can be special teams coach and still help coach defense as well in a more general sense.  Not sure what type of recruiter Goulding is. After seeing Orlando fuck up the LB room, we need someone that can evaluate and recruit there

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

DC- Goulding 

DL- Davis

That would be as close to a Championship staff as we’ve had here in a long time. You’d be pressed to find better around the country. If Sark can come out guns blazing, I think we’ll fine.

Edited by CastHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Goulding coaches LBs so no Hutzler at LB. maybe someone else as the second DB coach. 

He coached DB/Safeties before he got to Alabama. Also - Alabama DB coach Karl Scott is a Golding guy who worked with him at Southeastern and Tusculum before being hired to be a part of Golding’s staff at Alabama. If Golding is the hire and is bringing a coach with him - I’d expect it to be Scott. 

If it is Golding, I do think he will bring Scott with him to coach CBs. Scott was hired from Texas Tech to Bama. Interesting, how Saban identifies coaching talent when everyone on Surly would have lost their shit had Texas hired Scott to replace Washington 3 years ago.

D Staff could end up being:

DC/LB - Golding/Arnett/other

DL - Davis

S - Joseph

CB - TBD

ST and extra help with secondary and LBs - Gideon

That would still leave room for the full staff on Offense. Same numbers as this year except we had 2 DL coaches instead of a Gideon role. 

Financially we have plenty of room left to chase a rainmaker. Not hiring a real OC saves a ton of money. Total guesses for salaries so far:

Flood - $1mm

Drayton - $650k

Milwee - $350k

Gideon - $500k

Davis - $750k

Joseph - $700k

If these are ballpark correct, that's ~$3.9mm for over half the staff. Obviously DC is a big one but Golding/Arnett would probably only be like $1.5mm putting you at $5.4mm. If our budget is really as big as we think, that's a lot of money left for WR, TE, and CB.

7 minutes ago, cochamps said:

No.  He is the one who obviously has something against vanilla ice cream.  I am a fan of the delicacy - if done properly.

Ice cream! So is the predominant fear that we get Golding and Saban hires Muschamp? And Saban is only letting Golding go because Saban believes he can do better? 

9CD621A1-5C95-4B10-99B3-5F7D82694E87.gif