Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

56 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Was looking at the current top twenty composite players in the state and we haven't offered four and you can add another three that probably havr no chance of ending up in the class (Hampton, Smith, Miller).  Not worried about the class, just thought it was interesting.

There seems to be a bigger divergence this year in the top of the rankings than usual due to the class being weaker overall. There are some elite guys to be sure, but there are way less of them. This is one of those late Mack classes where he would finish with a top3 class of dudes who never see the field because he refused to go out of state. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

The Athletic has a note today about the IMG Academy's Under Armour camp.  Apparently Jerrick Gibson's dad is recruiting for Texas and was urging Oklahoma native and 5-star defensive lineman David Stone to give Texas some strong consideration.    

Who is their general recruiting writer that would have notes like that?

8 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

Who is their general recruiting writer that would have notes like that?

This writeup was from Manny Navarro.  I'm not following him or anything but the story was listed under the "More for you" section of my feed so guessing since I typically read most recruiting related stories it showed up for me.  

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Was looking at the current top twenty composite players in the state and we haven't offered four and you can add another three that probably havr no chance of ending up in the class (Hampton, Smith, Miller).  Not worried about the class, just thought it was interesting.

In looking at the On3 top 20 in Texas:

DJ Lagway - for 50 reasons, Texas has no interest

Nigel Smith - he's misrated by the services, Texas has virtually no interest

Drelon Miller - they like a bunch of similar profiles a lot more

Omeozulu - he's super misrated by the services, they're recruiting him enough for it to look like they care

Hunter Modden - prepare to be very unsurprised if he's not a part of the class and his ratings drop will help reflect why so

Hampton - He's raising every red flag that he can in order to indicate that he'll be a bust

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.Peterman said:

The Athletic has a note today about the IMG Academy's Under Armour camp.  Apparently Jerrick Gibson's dad is recruiting for Texas and was urging Oklahoma native and 5-star defensive lineman David Stone to give Texas some strong consideration.    

Stone is visiting aggy this weekend.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I met a die hard Vol grad recently. Jesus H Christ, they act like they invented football. This is just the beginning of non-aggy SEC screen shots. 

non-aggy sec finding out about aggy : us finding out about non-aggy sec

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, J.Peterman said:

paper finish GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/27/2023 at 10:10 AM, ClubWhatever said:

Whatever we’re paying Choice it probably isn’t enough.  

Just to add on, go watch some of the combine interviews.  Not only are our guys giving him props and talking him up (Rojo), but Jamyrr Gibbs as well.  Hope we can keep him around several more years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 5:04 PM, J.Peterman said:

This writeup was from Manny Navarro.  I'm not following him or anything but the story was listed under the "More for you" section of my feed so guessing since I typically read most recruiting related stories it showed up for me.  

He's their Miami beat writer I think. I only asked because the info from Ari Wasserman on his podcast was so bad (it was algorithm rec'd to me by Spotify) that I'm a bit weary of their stuff on recruiting. 

12 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

He's their Miami beat writer I think. I only asked because the info from Ari Wasserman on his podcast was so bad (it was algorithm rec'd to me by Spotify) that I'm a bit weary of their stuff on recruiting. 

Yeah Wasserman isn't great.  But this note was so specific it had to be from someone on the ground witnessing it first hand so definitely a positive in our favor.  Long time to go, but explains why several analysts think we currently lead.

Pretty positive article on Dylan Williams.

("I loved it there," Williams said following the visit. "I loved the atmosphere and loved watching their defense. I like how they use their linebackers, they play fast and I think I would fit in well there."

The two schools we've heard the most buzz with Williams over the last few months have been Texas and Oregon and we expect the Ducks to lock in an official visit at some point as well.)

However, the worthy author (presumably) forgot to let us know when Williams is actually visiting ... seems like it's the 23rd of June.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Williams-46118415/

image.thumb.png.34fa67bd48d99c76f610ad2dcc6c45ac.png

Four-Star LB Dylan Williams locks in official visit date with Texas

Greg Biggins

Spoiler

Four-Star LB Dylan Williams locks in official visit date with Texas

Greg Biggins

Long Beach (Calif.) Poly junior linebacker Dylan Williams has locked in his first official visit to see the Texas Longhorns.

Texas offered Williams shortly after he de-committed from USC late last season and he took an unofficial visit in November when the Longhorns hosted TCU.

"I loved it there," Williams said following the visit. "I loved the atmosphere and loved watching their defense. I like how they use their linebackers, they play fast and I think I would fit in well there."

The two schools we've heard the most buzz with Williams over the last few months have been Texas and Oregon and we expect the Ducks to lock in an official visit at some point as well. 

Alabama, Miami, Michigan and Penn State are a few other schools making a push for Williams. He recently told us he would like to take three official visits in the summer and then the last two during the season. 

Williams is currently rated the No. 108 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite. He had a very strong junior season and has elevated his stock in our eyes.

He's a twitchy outside linebacker who can rush the passer, play in space and drop in coverage. He's a physical player and has a nice edge in his game to with a non-stop motor.

• Hook 'Em 5

Roach on the WR board

Spoiler

Wide receiver recruiting was a point of emphasis in 2022, and the Longhorns ended up bringing in a nice haul. That doesn’t mean there will be a drop off in the push to add more playmakers to the room and we should get a better idea of the recruiting ability new wide receivers coach Chris Jackson has in his debut cycle.

It’s rare that the state sees down years at the wide receiver position considering the number of high-powered offenses and standout athletes in the state. Steve Sarkisian’s offense has been hampered at times by a lack of quality options at the wide receiver position and they should be able to build on what they did last year to keep the recruiting pressure up.

A few weeks ago, we looked at the running back board and profiled Tashard Choice. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we discuss what we know of Chris Jackson so far and discuss where we see the wide receiver board going for the Longhorns.

2023 CLASS ALREADY MAKING AN IMPACT
Texas signed three highly-rated receivers in 2023 with the trio of Johntay Cook, Deandre Moore Jr., and Ryan Niblett. Cook and Moore are already on campus and the feedback we’ve heard on both through spring workouts has been strong. We’d expect both to have a strong spring if they stay healthy and both could see quite a bit of playing time in the fall if their success carries over.

The arrival of Niblett this summer will add some elite speed to the group while Adonai Mitchell was added through the NCAA Transfer Portal. 

Mitchell is also garnering strong feedback for his work ethic and leadership through workouts and should be an upgrade over what was available last year.

We never got to see what Isaiah Neyor could do after a great spring since he was lost to a season-ending injury before he ever saw game action. If Neyor can come back even close to what he was last year, it would be like adding another new member from the group.

CHRIS JACKSON UNDER THE SPOTLIGHT AS A RECRUITER
When Chris Jackson was hired this off-season, there were a lot of questions about his recruiting ability. Though his NFL experience was thought to be an advantage, there was really no feel for how he would adjust to the college world. So much in recruiting comes down to an ability to relate to and communicate with teenagers. No matter the experience at the highest levels, that’s an x-factor nobody can account for until you produce results.

We’ve been asking around with sources in Austin and on the recruiting side to see what the reception has been for Jackson so far, and the initial reviews have been positive. While Jackson may not have the charismatic online persona of his predecessor Brennan Marion, we’re told that he’s had no problems adjusting so far and his pro experience is something he’s regularly pushing that NFL experience as a plus.

Jackson does not yet have a commitment in the class, and we’ll need a much larger sample size, but we’ve yet to hear of any early red flags with the new Texas assistant. Given what the Longhorns landed last year, it’s likely they only take 3 guys again in this cycle.

LOOKING AT THE BOARD
Micah Hudson, Lake Belton

Hudson seems to be the biggest priority at the position right now. The CenTex star turned in some truly remarkable plays last season on his way to earning an elite ranking. Texas is doing battle with programs like Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Ohio State and Tennessee. In the end, this could come down to an in-state battle between the Aggies and Longhorns, but Texas has to like their position at the moment.

Drelon Miller (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

Drelon Miller, Silsbee

Miller is another player who turned in some highlight-reel ability as a junior at Silsbee. While Texas seemed to be in a good position early on, other schools have moved past them for the southeast Texas star. Georgia is a school making a lot of early noise for Miller along with Texas A&M, USC and LSU. For whatever reason, the Longhorns don’t seem to be making Miller a huge priority right now and something will need to change if they want to add him to the roster.

Bryant Wesco, Midlothian

This is another recruitment where Texas will have to make up some ground. They entered the race for Wesco relatively late and Oklahoma has some built-in advantages. Wesco’s sister plays soccer for the Sooners and Oklahoma wide receivers coach Emmett Jones has a long-standing relationship with him. Oklahoma was already going to be tough to overcome, but the Longhorns will need to step it up to have a chance with Wesco.

Gekyle Baker, Brownsboro

Baker has a chance to really take off this spring if he performs in some big settings. His size and athleticism are what everyone is looking for at the wide receiver position. Texas is positioned well early with Baker who is also looking at programs like Oregon, Tennessee and Texas A&M. This spring could be big for creating some separation and building a stronger foothold in this recruitment.

Freddie Dubose, Smithson Valley

Dubose missed most of last season after suffering an injury in the first game of the year. The speedy San Antonian was an early offer for Brennan Marion and Texas looked poised to take a big lead early. Texas A&M, Oregon and Tennessee have been able to gain some ground with him. Dubose has been pretty quiet through the off-season, but we should be able to get a better read as we move through the spring.

COMMENTS
Texas seems to be an early leader for the productive DFW receiver. Livingstone had a one-on-one visit with the staff in January and said he’s been able to create a quick bond with Chris Jackson. Arkansas, Texas A&M, Michigan, South Carolina and Florida State are the other schools vying for his signature, but Texas seems to be in the right position at the moment.

Koby Young, New Orleans (LA) Holy Cross

The Longhorns have found success out of Holy Cross before when they landed Barryn Sorrell. Can they add another in Koby Young? To land him, Texas will have to overcome the strong in-state pull of LSU who hold the Crystal Ball lead for him. Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Miami are some of the latest programs to offer Young and his recruitment could really heaet up this spring.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Roach seems to be unwilling to realize that Texas is falling behind on Miller because they're fine not getting Miller. 

Do you think Roche got that point with Hampton or he just skipped him for now?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Do you think Roche got that point with Hampton or he just skipped him for now?

Hampton is a mystery related to the recency of the WRC hire. He's checking all of the bust flags, but he's apparently/allegedly been invited in for an OV in the summer and Bama is apparently/allegedly after him as well. 

The issues are different for each guy. They like other similar profiles to Miller better. They like Hampton fine but there's potentially hair on the character profile. When Hampton shocks everyone this summer with some sort of bizarre HS transfer announcement, he'll have successfully completed the "he's going to wind up at 5 colleges, finishing at Iowa Weslayan" maneuver. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

He's way ahead of schedule

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahahahahaha

That is so fucking awesome. More so, he's doing it in a way that may lead to him sitting out his senior season. That's off the charts in terms of "future bust bingo" squares that he's covering. 

Sounds like the second coming of Demond Demas. 

On 3/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, closetojumping said:

In looking at the On3 top 20 in Texas:

DJ Lagway - for 50 reasons, Texas has no interest

Nigel Smith - he's misrated by the services, Texas has virtually no interest

Drelon Miller - they like a bunch of similar profiles a lot more

Omeozulu - he's super misrated by the services, they're recruiting him enough for it to look like they care

Hunter Modden - prepare to be very unsurprised if he's not a part of the class and his ratings drop will help reflect why so

Hampton - He's raising every red flag that he can in order to indicate that he'll be a bust

Lagway, Smith, and Miller would have been the top 3 targets in this class for Tom Herman.

15 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

After seeing the listed weights for Ross, Swanson, and Bledsoe, we need three, probably four DT's that have legit size in this class.  Probably a JUCO or portal DT for next year as well.

quick reminder but here is the current DL list per @AP101S's awesome sheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1253781136

image.thumb.png.7f12f0f225447cd21310eb8110df096e.png

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, NoName said:

quick reminder but here is the current DL list per @AP101S's awesome sheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1253781136

image.thumb.png.7f12f0f225447cd21310eb8110df096e.png

Standard caveats apply:

- The class column assumes that everyone that is eligible for a Covid year takes it.

- I'm not sure of the differences between Edge/Jack/Buck/Sam, so slotting players in those rows is based on Surly feedback.

- I track all incoming freshman as redshirting until they're not.

- There are Texas by Class and Aggie by Class tabs if you want to see what happened to every signee for those 2 schools since 2017.

- There is an Aggie Grid tab that shows scholarship players by position and year signed.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Quay Davis was the initial thought from me...hope he doesnt have violent tendencies like he did

Quay Davis finished last year at Jackson State with 11 catches for 57 yards and no TDs.

https://gojsutigers.com/sports/football/roster/quaydarius--davis/2097

don't remember exactly what happened at Kansas but he committed to SMU, decommitted (1), committed to Texas, decommitted (2), committed to USC, decommitted (3), committed to Kansas, signed LOI, then was released from that LOI due to DV and decommitted from Kansas (4), he then committed and enrolled at Jackson State before entering the transfer portal (5) 12/29/22. he has now committed and signed with Texas Southern on 2/1/23.

the dude is on his 6th commitment and hasn't even started his sophomore year yet

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

Quay Davis finished last year at Jackson State with 11 catches for 57 yards and no TDs.

don't remember exactly what happened at Kansas but he committed to SMU, decommitted (1), committed to Texas, decommitted (2), committed to USC, decommitted (3), committed to Kansas, signed LOI, then was released from that LOI due to DV and decommitted from Kansas (4), he then committed and enrolled at Jackson State before entering the transfer portal (5) 12/29/22. he has now committed and signed with Texas Southern on 2/1/23.

the dude is on his 6th commitment and hasn't even started his sophomore year yet

And even after all this, Mike Roach, EJ Holland, and Wescott Eberts still think Quay Davis was a huge miss by the Texas staff that will plague us for years. 

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

He needs a harbor, not a quay ... 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls