Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I think a large portion of our fanbase can't differentiate between scholarship players and walk-ons. So when Bush or Brockermeyer aren't great players, there is rage. 

I think a large portion of our fanbase can't figure out why undersized and unathletic walk-ons are getting meaningful snaps at linebacker. Hence the rage...

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

That guy looks like he's going to put someone in a body bag.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Scott Derry, Luke Brockerymeyer, Jett Bush, Breckynn Hager say otherwise.....well maybe not Hager but that's solely because his dad. Embarrassing he got to wear 60 and not earning it.

Reid Boyd thinks your list is incomplete, sir.

Dusty Renfro has a real problem with your post as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Chad Simmons: 5-star EDGE Eddrick Houston sets four visits, hearing from programs across the country

Buford (Ga.) five-star EDGE Eddrick Houston does not plan to commit until Dec. 9. However, he is gradually working toward which schools will be in contention for his pledge. Houston has scheduled spring visits to Oklahoma (March 4), Alabama (April 3), LSU (April 4) and Texas (April 5). The Georgia native wants to take as many unofficials as he can to figure out which programs will receive his five official visits.

“That’s what this first impression will be about, just to see where they stand and just see things that you don’t usually see,” Houston told On3. “Just meet the coaches in person instead of talking to them on the phone is just a different feel when you’re able to talk face-to-face with them.”

Houston, who visited Georgia on the weekend of Jan. 14, is being recruited hard by multiple top programs. They include the Bulldogs, Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Ohio State and Tennessee among others. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound pass rusher announced his top 10 schools on Nov. 8. Things “have changed” since then, including the rise of two schools who did not make his original cut: Michigan and USC.

“USC is one of the schools I would want to add on,” said Houston, the No. 9 overall prospect and No. 2 EDGE in the 2024 On3 Industry Ranking. “Southern California, it’s just the relationship I’ve built already with them, with coach (Shaun) Nua, the defensive line coach. His background, just being able to develop kids, is great.

Houston likes what USC, Georgia and Oklahoma have to offer

According to Houston, his interest in the Trojans grew a few days after they offered him. He is intrigued by USC’s move into the Big Ten, since the conference is known for having strong pass rushers, and Nua’s track record of developing front seven players. Houston and Nua talk every other day. Meanwhile, Georgia also has Houston’s attention.

He feels like a “major priority” to the Bulldogs and speaks with multiple coaches daily, including head coach Kirby Smart and defensive line coach Tray Scott. “Just development, they’re able to produce top draft picks year in and year out,” Houston said. “It’s just amazing to see, just going there whenever I can and seeing the work that the athletes put in every day and things like that.”

Meanwhile, Houston’s interest in Oklahoma stems from the success of Brent Venables at Clemson. The Georgia native liked how Venables, now the Sooners’ head coach, developed players with the Tigers and won at a high level.

Defensive coordinators/linebackers coach Ted Roof, whose son played at Buford, is Houston’s main contact at Oklahoma. He is looking forward to speaking more with Roof and others when he gets to Norman next month.

“It’s very important,” Houston said. “A first impression, I just want to see how it is in Oklahoma, see how the fanbase is. I’m not gonna be able to see as much as I would want to because it’s not football season, but just to see the players and what they have to go through there in college and then just to meet the coaches, I’ll be able to just shake hands and walk up. I’ll be able to talk to them fully at their school.”

Houston is looking forward to Alabama, LSU and Texas visits

Houston’s April visit to Alabama will mark his third. He speaks mostly with outside linebackers coach/special teams coordinator Coleman Hutzler and cornerbacks coach Travaris Robinson. When he gets back to Tuscaloosa, Houston is excited to build a “deeper connection” with the Crimson Tide’s coaches, see more of Alabama’s campus and learn more about the program.

“Just to see how they respond to change,” Houston said about why Alabama intrigues him. “They’re a top-notch program every year. Just to see that they’re constantly getting new coaches in and taking coaches out, just things like that, just being able to see how they still roll is an amazing thing to watch.”

Meanwhile, Houston hears weekly from LSU and Texas. “They’re texting me just about school and just telling me different things about their program and where I fit in and things like that and then, things that I’ll see when I go there for an unofficial visit or something like that,” said Houston, who also plans to return to Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Completes the Bama-Ohio State-UGA trifecta of huge national offers, but not one from us. 

https://247sports.com/player/max-anderson-46130499/

I believe this guy is related to OL Jack Anderson, who went to Texas Tech a few years back and was drafted by the Bills. Family absolutely hates Texas. It would be a waste of time.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I believe this guy is related to OL Jack Anderson, who went to Texas Tech a few years back and was drafted by the Bills. Family absolutely hates Texas. It would be a waste of time.

I hope that mustache is evidence of a lost bet….Jesus.

D1759EBC-37D2-4B6D-B469-34A5EC61255B.webp

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think I have ever seen a receding hairline on a mustache before. 

Kind of a hitler youth look. Or if you get the perspective right, it looks like motorcycle jump ramps. The look works for him, though.

image.jpeg.c5911d812584670674e2367044acdca0.jpeg

Edited by Bevo

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls