Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Party balls were great.

Also you're old.

hqdefault.jpg

Apprently not that old, I had to google "Coors Party Balls" based on your post. Also fun fact, apparently they weren't discontinued until 2011. I was 10 when that commerical came out. 

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Suppository after Golden Corral.  

Good fucking luck keeping a suppository in after a trip to Golden Corral. "Suppository after Golden Coral" may as well be a modern day twist to a Sisyphean feat. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

that LSU mod lowered his confidence level from 60% to 55% two days before a commitment based on the fact that he is an out of state recruit and he hasn't committed yet? And people pay for this?

I mean LSU is likely getting frantic because final bids are due in a day, and they know their side is lacking bigly.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh, so now we’re at the part where you make up self-serving histories with other posters every time they disagree with you?  I think in the past you’ve falsely accused me of being a Greg Davis fanboy, defending Taylor Doyle’s wheelchair as a competitive advantage since it would help him stay low, and I’m pretty sure killing JFK as well.  You’re like a functional Derka.  

What a bizarre post. I simply said you were wrong and you don't tend to assess or acknowledge that when it happens. And then that's what happens here. You obfuscate. 

Regarding the Derka comment, I don't know what the intent was because I haven't kept up with his behaviors, but I have always liked the guy and tend to enjoy his posts. I get that a bunch of you idiots that have antagonized the guy over the years would view being compared to him as some sort of slander, but it's fine with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spiegelman with an update on some high profile prospects

Spoiler

On3 National Recruiting Analyst Sam Spiegelman delivers the latest scoop on several of the marquee names expected to make decisions coming up before the summer ends.

Five-Star Plus+ EDGE Colin Simmons

All eyes are on the No. 4-rated player in the On300, Colin Simmons, who is set to choose from Texas, LSU, and Miami on Thursday, Aug. 10 on the On3 Youtube Channel. Simmons will have three hats on the table when he announces his college decision, but this is a two-horse race — and has been for the bulk of his recruitment, especially over the off-season.

There is optimism in both Austin and Baton Rouge about their chances with the Five-Star Plus+ EDGE from Dallas area powerhouse Duncanville (Texas) High School. Texas has been especially effective recruiting in the Metroplex under Steve Sarkisian, which includes massive victories on the recruiting trail for Johntay Cook, Malik Muhammad and Anthony Hill, all of whom have made instant impressions on the Forty Acres, just as this staff expects Simmons to do in the trenches as the Longhorns transition into the SEC next year.

After his official visit to Texas on June 23-25, there were enough indicators that if a decision was made this summer the Longhorns were best positioned to receive it. As the August 8 date moves closer and closer, confidence remains high in the capital.

Simmons was in Austin this spring and again this summer, and that goes the same for visits to LSU. After scheduling multiple trips elsewhere, the elite EDGE returned to campus for the Tigers’ spring game in April and was back again at the end of July for the Bayou Splash, which made this race much more of a coin-flip as crunch time arrives.

This battle is expected to go back and forth into Thursday — and likely after. Simmons can only choose one team on Thursday, but both sides are extremely motivated to recruit the Five-Star Plus+ defender until he signs in December.

Five-Star Plus+ WR Micah Hudson

There was a lot of buzz around Texas Tech earlier this summer for the nation’s No. 2 receiver, Micah Hudson. The Red Raiders got him on campus for his official visit in June and he opted not to take his official visit to Texas, seen as Tech’s biggest competitor to land him. Rumors swirled about an impending commitment, but a week into August, he still remains on the board.

Texas A&M worked to get him on campus in the last week in July, but he never made that visit, and there’s still plenty of confidence in Lubbock about landing him. However, it’s looking more and more likely that this decision timeline will stretch into the season.

He could take it all the way to December, but sources point to a mid-season commitment as more likely. The Aggies, Longhorns and others are going to continue to chip away for the elite playmaker.

Five-Star DL Dominick McKinley

On3 reported last week that On300 No. 17 DL Dominick McKinley was nearing the finish line of his recruitment. McKinley will give a commitment on September 1 when Lafayette (La.) Acadiana High School opens its 2023 football season.

One of the most difficult-to-read five-stars in this 2024 recruiting cycle, McKinley keeps his contenders close to the vest. He has maintained lines of communication with each of his finalists, including Texas A&M and Ohio State, which are still very much alive in this race, according to sources well-versed in this recruitment. In fact, multiple people in McKinley’s circle believe the Buckeyes are “darkhorse contenders” with the elite DL, who took an official visit to Columbus on June 2-4 and quickly meshed with DL coach Larry Johnson.

In and around McKinley’s circle, much of the conversation has continued to center around three teams: Texas, LSU, and Oklahoma, and most in that circle believe the 6-foot-5, 285-pounder will play college football out of state. The Longhorns have checked off major boxes in terms of education and life after football and in the city of Austin, and his relationship with Bo Davis has been one of the strongest throughout his recruitment.

Oklahoma has been continuing to double down on McKinley, his faith-based outlook and aspirations, as well as his longstanding connection with Todd Bates. Depending on who you talk to, there are fingers pointed at both the Sooners and the Longhorns as the leading contenders for Louisiana’s top-rated recruit. The Buckeyes are also hanging tough and a team that keeps being thrown as a team in the thick of this race as a decision inches closer.

LSU has continued to chip away at this recruitment. Since hosting McKinley for the Bayou Splash late last month, there have been several positive movements in favor of the in-state Tigers with their top target on the defensive line in this class. They’re expected to continue to stay in this race until the end and still have an official visit at their disposal.

Five-Star CB Kobe Black

On3 Industry Ranking five-star CB Kobe Black is continuing to slash contenders off the list and is not expected to have a decision made before his senior campaign at Waco (Texas) Connally. After summer official visits to Texas and Ohio State, and an unofficial visit back to Texas A&M, this recruitment continues to trend toward continuing into the season.

LSU and Alabama are both expected to get swings at the elite cornerback from Central Texas. However, sources familiar with Black’s recruitment believe he’ll remain closer to home when it’s all said and done. The Longhorns have been leading the way for the bulk of the spring and continued to further their position after his June 23-25 official visit.

The Aggies have continued to chip away in this one, though, with TJ Rushing and D.J. Durkin leading the way. Sources around the five-star cornerback believe that Texas A&M has appealed to Black and made more inroads during his last visit to College Station at the back end of July. Both LSU and Texas A&M are set to get Black on campus in-season for official visits.

Four-Star CB Wardell Mack

On3 top-20 cornerback Wardell Mack is eyeing a college decision before his senior season at Marrero (La.) John Ehret, and this continues to be a race headlined by Texas and Florida.

The Longhorns knocked it out of the park with one of The Boot’s best during his June 23-25 official visit weekend and impressing key decision-makers in Mack’s circle in the process. New Orleans native and DB coach Terry Joseph and Sarkisian have been staples in the four-star cornerback’s recruitment since the jump, and their position has continued to improve over the course of this off-season with impactful visits for the spring game and then over the summer.

Florida has given Mack plenty to mull over, especially with multiple members of the Gators’ coaching staff involved in his recruitment — from Jabbar Juluke to Corey Raymond and, especially, Billy Napier. I still like where my RPM sits on Texas.

Four-Star EDGE Danny Okoye

Recruiting has picked up in a big way for On3 top-80 EDGE Danny Okoye, the top-ranked recruit from Oklahoma in the 2024 cycle. The four-star EDGE is expected to narrow his options down later this month and major contenders are beginning to surface.

Tennessee, LSU, Oklahoma and Alabama each got Okoye on campus over the summer. LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma and Tennessee are trending for official visits during the season, and sources close to the four-star EDGE’s recruitment point to the Vols and the Sooners as leaders in the clubhouse.

The Vols have hosted Okoye for a string of visits this off-season and the relationships in Knoxville run deep — on the coaching staff with Mike Ekeler and Josh Heupel, and also on the current roster. If a decision were made today, I would like Tennessee’s chances with Okoye.

Oklahoma has really picked up the pace with the state’s No. 1 prospect in recent months as Miguel Chavis has doubled down on the nationally coveted EDGE and the June visit to Norman closed the gap in a significant way. The Sooners aren’t expected to go away in this recruitment.

Four-Star RB Caden Durham

On300 speedster RB Caden Durham is set to reveal his college commitment on Thursday, August 10 at Duncanville (Texas) High School. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and LSU are finalists for Durham, the On3 Industry Ranking’s No. 8 tailback in the land.

Durham, who has family ties all across Oklahoma and was a part of the Sooners’ biggest recruiting weekend of the summer in June, has long been a priority target in the backfield for DeMarco Murray.

The Sooners are still swinging for Durham, but momentum has moved in favor of LSU since returning to Baton Rouge for the Bayou Splash last month. Consecutive trips to campus in June and July have the Tigers in a strong position to add a massive blue-chip back to their backfield in this 2024 cycle as the class rounds into shape. My RPM has been locked on LSU since.

Four-Star DL Nigel Smith

On3 Industry Ranking top-100 DL Nigel Smith squared away four official visits in June, then returned to College Station in July for a second time in as many months. That not only marked consecutive visits to Texas A&M for Smith, but his last visit anywhere before the top-15 DL reveals his college decision on September 8 as Melissa (Texas) unveils its new stadium.

Smith officially visited Texas A&M along with Penn State, Ohio State, and Oklahoma this summer. The Sooners have been longstanding favorites with the 6-foot-4, 265-pounder from North Texas, but the Aggies have continued to chip away in recent weeks. Terry Price was leading the charge for Smith since he was a sophomore, and since his passing D.J. Durkin and Elijah Robinson have stepped up in a big way.

This has developed into a two-horse race between Oklahoma and Texas A&M over the next month or so now that the four-star DL scratched his Texas official visit, and perhaps tighter than most realize.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Fu k it. I got 5.00 on it. Who do I send it to for the CS nil 

You know where to send it

Just now, TexasEx said:

Roach with the Texas CB, confidence 4. That's like a 7 against the average.

He had an article as well, I’m sure someone will post

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

He had an article as well, I’m sure someone will post

The race for Colin Simmons has injected some old-fashioned recruiting fun into the late part of summer when most people are starting to focus on the season. The five-star EDGE from Duncanville (Texas) will make his decision on Thursday, August 10 at 2:00 p.m. central time live on 247Sports' Youtube.

I've released several reports on Simmons over the last week, and in all of them, I've maintained that I was giving the slight edge to LSU. I've also said that while those in Austin are extremely confident, I didn't have a "silver bullet" to hang my hat on and give the edge to Texas.

After speaking with sources today, I'm starting to feel a little more encouraged for Texas in this race. Over the last week, nearly every person I spoke with felt that the race was close, but LSU seemed to be the direction they were leaning. While I felt the Longhorns had an advantageous situation to land him, nobody I spoke with gave me enough to truly tilt the scales in my mind.

In fact, yesterday I spoke with a source near Simmons who seemed to be nudging me more toward LSU. I thought that might be a nail in the coffin heading toward the decision, but today revealed some new elements. The latest intel I have is skewing more positively toward the Texas side. It's not something I can delve into from a details perspective, but it's enough to start having more belief if you're a Texas fan.

There are actually several factors I've suspected that could lead to Texas being the pick, but today I was able to get a bit more clarification on those factors. I do believe NIL is a factor in this recruitment. From what I've been able to tell, it's not the top priority, but a player like Simmons wants to be able to maximize his earning potential. I believe Texas is the place better suited for that.

Another factor I've heard is that the family preference is Texas. While I've heard of a few people around him pushing LSU, a key source I spoke with today felt most of the family preferred the Longhorns. One factor that points to LSU is the coaching. From talking to a few people near Simmons, I believe that LSU outside linebackers coach John Jancek is more positively viewed from a development standpoint than Texas defensive coordinator and edge coach Pete Kwiatkowski.

The sense I have is that the decision is done, so there is no true back and forth. It's more of a case of everyone sorting through the information that's out there and finding out what sticks to the wall. That doesn't mean schools aren't making last minute pitches and nothing will change, but I'm starting to lean more toward Texas as of today.

I’ve gone back and forth on making a pick and I’ve decided to go with a Texas prediction and a confidence score of 4.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

"Anyone want to help me out with Roach's silver bullet metaphor? "

The Silver Bullet to the military meant you were getting shot for the clap. I shall however assume otherwise based upon his reputation on this board. :)

When I was in boot camp it meant you were getting a thermometer shoved up your ass after passing out. Gotta check that core temperature. 

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Hold up, was it Simmons who was going out of town or Gerry?

42 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Well, we now know Simmons is still alive and, potentially, leaving his house. Quality intel. 

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can you elaborate on this? Without context, it's hard to understand what you're implying.

GH at the end of their video this morning at 59:30 said "I'm gonna head somewhere but give it the ole Brian Carrington for now and we will talk about it tonight".

image.thumb.png.cc68f1e45cb787465d78d7a5f473f798.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls