Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

A couple of comments on some topics discussed above:

- the diversity comments were in an article by a $9.95er, and attributed to Simmons and his mom

- they also supposedly appreciated a meeting with the President of LSU, who is African American

- the comments on LSU 247 (from subscribers as well as staff) have been a drumbeat that can be summarized as

a) LSU is offering a "competitive" NIL package, plus development, family atmosphere, etc. etc..

b) Texas is offering massive NIL (and not the other stuff)

c)  If it comes down to NIL, Texas will beat LSU (and anyone else involved, across CFB)

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- the diversity comments were in an article by a $9.95er, and attributed to Simmons and his mom

- they also supposedly appreciated a meeting with the President of LSU, who is African American

- the comments on LSU 247 (from subscribers as well as staff) have been a drumbeat that can be summarized as

a) LSU is offering a "competitive" NIL package, plus development, family atmosphere, etc. etc..

c)  If it comes down to NIL, Texas will beat LSU (and anyone else involved, across CFB)

We don't have those things?

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Words have meaning. To say Ut is less diverse than LSU is dumb. LSU has 67% white students- UT is like half that many. If what you want to say is that LSU is a little more black than UT then say LSU is a little more black than UT. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Words have meaning. To say Ut is less diverse than LSU is dumb. LSU has 67% white students- UT is like half that many. If what you want to say is that LSU is a little more black than UT then say LSU is a little more black than UT. 

I think "diversity" in this context is a euphemism for having more black people specifically. Which is...understandable, I suppose, for a black family. 

That said, it's unfortunate that race is an issue in this at all. For many reason, but mostly because I'm tired of hearing about it on this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I think "diversity" in this context is a euphemism for having more black people specifically. Which is...understandable, I suppose, for a black family. 

That said, it's unfortunate that race is an issue in this at all. For many reason, but mostly because I'm tired of hearing about it on this thread. 

Oh I don’t have a problem with race being an issue - it’s fair for them to feel that way.  They get to feel how they get to feel. But, words have meaning and the guy that wrote that is paid to write and he got the story completely wrong as LSU is much less diverse than Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh I don’t have a problem with race being an issue - it’s fair for them to feel that way.  They get to feel how they get to feel. But, words have meaning and the guy that wrote that is paid to write and he got the story completely wrong as LSU is much less diverse than Texas. 

No one wrote that, it was a stupid fucking poster on a livestreem that asked the question and said diversity, and now we've delved down this fucking rabbit hole based on something someone heard about Ferris Buellar at 31 fucking flavors last night. This was the original quote that got this started, I know becuase I went back 5 pages and did a control F for fucking Diversity.

4 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

There was a poster on the live stream that said CS is picking LSU because of diversity. I think Gerry or somebody else said the CS prefers LSU’s scheme over ours. 

That sounds like a positive data point for them then

So now we've gone from talking about diversity, and if it's an issue, to blaming some phantom 995er for writing and legitimizing it, when it was a stupid fucking knob on a livestream the likely equivalent of Spider2yBanana and now the rest of us are dealing with this pile of horseshit. I've seen 5 year olds fuck up a game of telephone less than this shit, and there's a goddamn digital fucking record here. 

This is about as classic Surly as it gets, and I hate every single one of you. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Gerry lays out the background on Simmons

Spoiler

The last year has been filled with all the recruiting talking points and words often time used to illustrate how impactful Simmons recruitment and decision will be. With 48 hours until decision time, Inside Texas takes a look at what we will call the decision checklist.

Texas’ move to the SEC

From the first time I spoke with Simmons at Duncanville High, SEC programs dominated the conversation. There was zero doubt based on multiple visits with Simmons that he would end up playing in the SEC.

The Texas move to the SEC has given the Longhorns a legitimate chance. And instantly pushed them ahead of Texas A&M.

Follow the visits

The term “follow the visits” is an oldie, but can still be a goodie in the recruiting industry.

In the case of Simmons, it’s definitely telling. He has been on campus in Baton Rouge and Austin much more than other schools.

Using Colin Simmons On3 recruiting profile, we take a look at the visits.

Visits for LSU to date: 6 (Still has a possible OV scheduled for November 11th weekend)

Visits for Texas to date: 6

Last Texas visit: Official visit June 23-25

Spring game unofficial visit: LSU April 22

Last three visits: LSU 2, Texas 1

Visits since the spring: LSU 2, Texas 2

Game day visits 2022: LSU September 10 for the Southern University game. Texas November 12 for the TCU game.

The Texas official visit in June and the LSU visit the last weekend in July included the decision making circle.

The Texas official visit in June and the LSU visit the last weekend in July included the decision making circle.

In the Purple and Gold corner

If anyone has talked to Simmons in person, spent any time around the player, and Duncanville High program — he likes the LSU/Baton Rouge vibe. That is known. He feels comfortable at LSU.

There are people in the circle fond of LSU.

Simmons has watched the Tigers win a National Championship. The NFL Draft has been good for LSU recruiting for years.

A selling point is Matt House’s defensive scheme. It’s a vertical attacking scheme. The role of BJ Ojulari under House last season is a selling point. The way the Tigers run the four man front similar to the Kansas City Chiefs when House was there is a good fit for Simmons per one of the top defensive line instructors I spoke with today.

In the Burnt Orange and White corner

Simmons also feels comfortable at Texas. Coming out of the Longhorns official visit, that is part of the reason Texas vaulted into the lead. Simmons can envision himself at Texas.

There are people in the circle fond of Texas.

Close to home has mattered in this recruitment, and has been a positive for Texas.

Simmons is close to, and has familiarity with a number of Texas players from the DFW area. That includes official visit host Johntay Cook II. Anthony Hill, Malik Muhammad, Billy Walton and others are also among that group of Texas players. And he has spent time working out in the off season at Kollective in Austin.

Texas has plenty of NIL opportunities in the Austin area. If Simmons wants to live in Texas long term, the forty year decision is in play.

The Texas scheme is a fit too. The interior guys are more big bodied space eaters by-and-large, and the EDGE’s get vertical and attacking. There is a quality fit there per the defensive line instructor I spoke with today. Simmons will excel as an EDGE prospect in either scheme.

In about 48 hours, Simmons will let the recruiting world know.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No one wrote that, it was a stupid fucking poster on a livestreem that asked the question and said diversity, and now we've delved down this fucking rabbit hole based on something someone heard about Ferris Buellar at 31 fucking flavors last night. This was the original quote that got this started, I know becuase I went back 5 pages and did a control F for fucking Diversity.

So now we've gone from talking about diversity, and if it's an issue, to blaming some phanton 995er for writing and legitimizing it, when it was a stupid fucking knob on a livestream the likely equivalent of Spider2yBanana and now the rest of us are dealing with this pile of horseshit. I've seen 5 year olds fuck up a game of telephone less than this shit, and there's a goddamn digital fucking record here. 

This is about as classic Surly as it gets, and I hate every single one of you. 

I took critical race theory in law school and am down to continue this conversation until Thursday. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

hate you hat GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia

And still…

81217371-DF7B-4B96-89EB-05B0C2A41451.gif

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh, so now we’re at the part where you make up self-serving histories with other posters every time they disagree with you?  I think in the past you’ve falsely accused me of being a Greg Davis fanboy, defending Taylor Doyle’s wheelchair as a competitive advantage since it would help him stay low, and I’m pretty sure killing JFK as well.  You’re like a functional Derka.  

Take your rep for this line…damn.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That makes zero fucking sense in the context of this recruitment. Silver fucking bullet? Maybe he's talking about a coors light mini keg or something. 

He has talked quite a bit about being close to a flip pick. He hasnt had enough info to do it. I ASSUME that he is referencing this and means that a piece of info came through that was enough to make him flip his pick. He is also a 9.95er. Don't shoot the messenger please. 

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Anyone want to help me out with Roach's silver bullet metaphor? 

Or did he mean to say Golden Corral? 

In a prior update he said he was looking for confirmation on a piece of information that would lead him to believe CS will be committing to Texas. I have no idea what that means or what it could be, but this is the way of the 9.95.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That makes zero fucking sense in the context of this recruitment. Silver fucking bullet? Maybe he's talking about a coors light mini keg or something. 

Maybe he meant silver lining ?

Just now, victory88 said:

Roach doesn't know shit.

He nailed the Gipson recruitment 

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls