Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

16 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I said Houston area for a reason.  They may not have a plurality in River Oaks, but the fanbase for college sports in every fucking suburb is aggy central. Of course there are also lots of Texas fans because it’s a giant metro area, but it’s more aggy on the whole.

aggy definitely permeates East Texas.  I know ctj thinks he’s defending our honor by saying aggy only owns BCS, but I’m more than happy to (accurately) give aggy credit for Vidor, Jasper, and all the other lovely rural towns of East Texas.  I’m not claiming those for UT.  There are plenty of athletes from East Texas, though.

Of course aggy isn’t a national brand - the whole point is they’re weirdos who never win anything of consequence.  But they’re the program who has to go to the greatest weird ass idiotic lengths to avoid said winning.

You've never really handled those moments on these boards when you're obviously wrong and should just say "maybe I was out over my skis on that scorching hawt take" so this response is par for the course and still laughably incorrect. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

that LSU mod lowered his confidence level from 60% to 55% two days before a commitment based on the fact that he is an out of state recruit and he hasn't committed yet? And people pay for this?

I love the fact that he feels strong enough to actually go in and change his prediction from "LSU is a slight favorite" to "LSU is a slight favorite."

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

LSU has reasons to feel good based on the prospect. Texas has reasons to feel confident, because "moves" 

The hope for LSU is to not be in a last minute bidding war. They're in one.

Simmons' actions indicate sincere interest in LSU, but he may go to Texas, because "moves". 

Ya know.......this is pretty accurate. 

I just don't understand how college football recruiting can be different from any other kind of professional recruiting. C.R.E.A.M. is the first and most important rule.

Other shit matters, but nothing comes close to money. In the past, Texas has lost recruits over much smaller, bag-game sums of money, despite being the better school academically, in a better location, with better facilities, etc. etc. etc. Now we've got NIL, which has so much more fiscal potential compared to bags, on top of all the other natural advantages. Maybe Simmons is different and maybe LSU has better NIL than I think they do, but I just can't shake myself out of the mindset that money makes the world go round. If LSU is in a straight bidding war, then it's already lost. The question is just how long Simmons' people are able to work the bidders. 

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

LSU's ability to make him a lot of NLI money depends on how good he looks in a bikini and yoga pants.  That's the core of their NLI success.

Name, Likeness, and Image makes just as much sense as Name, Image, and Likeness, but doesn't really roll of the tongue. 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Doesn’t look like a lot of “orentals” as they’re called by people in the south.  And the ones that do get in are probably homely looking graduate engineering students who couldn’t get into the coastal schools 

the orentals reference is from a sign I saw while driving through rural louisiana

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

From Idaho, has a Mormon mission before he actually enrolls.... but still. Idk. Why not choose BYU?

I am sure the Boise coaches are going to say "Hey Gatlin, can you make sure that you are sprinting between houses on your mission every day?"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You've never really handled those moments on these boards when you're obviously wrong and should just say "maybe I was out over my skis on that scorching hawt take" so this response is par for the course and still laughably incorrect. 

I haven't lived in Houston for over 40 years, but when I was right out of school I was always amazed at the UT support there.  Rice Stadium would be full of Longhorns with maybe 5-10K Owls.  They were also very vocal.  I thought it might be in part a reaction to the douchy sports radio hosts at the time, who were virulent UT haters.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Shit must have changed since the late 80's, and it would make sense, since UT sucked and A&M had the wrecking crew and Jackie Sherrill and the whole Born in the USA heartland pig-farmer bonfire resurgence. Because everybody with good grades in my big East Texas high school went to A&M except me and one scholarship football player. 

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

that LSU mod lowered his confidence level from 60% to 55% two days before a commitment based on the fact that he is an out of state recruit and he hasn't committed yet? And people pay for this?

This.  Are we to believe that, given new inputs, this LSU mod's advanced Monte Carlo data simulations have now moved to a median distribution centered around 55% rather than 60%?  That's way too much math for anybody in the entire fucking state of Louisiana.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think either know. Simmons  has likely given both coaching staffs positive information. Both fan bases are lathered up. Multiple people said CS was savvy about this process, that is the only piece of information that I truly believe. Simmons is in complete control of this recruitment and he has the 9.95ers walking behind him on a leash.

Colin is aware that when other kids go to the podium everyone already knows where they are going. He has given kids a blue printed of how it is done but most lack the discipline. He probably has most people around him in the dark of what he has already decided to do.

15 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I just don't understand how college football recruiting can be different from any other kind of professional recruiting. C.R.E.A.M. is the first and most important rule.

Other shit matters, but nothing comes close to money. In the past, Texas has lost recruits over much smaller, bag-game sums of money, despite being the better school academically, in a better location, with better facilities, etc. etc. etc. Now we've got NIL, which has so much more fiscal potential compared to bags, on top of all the other natural advantages. Maybe Simmons is different and maybe LSU has better NIL than I think they do, but I just can't shake myself out of the mindset that money makes the world go round. If LSU is in a straight bidding war, then it's already lost. The question is just how long Simmons' people are able to work the bidders. 

Name, Likeness, and Image makes just as much sense as Name, Image, and Likeness, but doesn't really roll of the tongue. 

Are you saying Wu Tang raised you?

• Haha 4

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

Colin is aware that when other kids go to the podium everyone already knows where they are going. He has given kids a blue printed of how it is done but most lack the discipline. He probably has most people around him in the dark of what he has already decided to do.

The really impressive trick that he's pulled is being in the eye of the storm while also keeping people in the dark. It's easy to avoid tipping your hand if you just literally don't tell anyone anything. But to put information out there that chums the water and keeps the frenzy going, while still not giving away where you're going, is extremely difficult. Him / his people have put on a class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

The really impressive trick that he's pulled is being in the eye of the storm while also keeping people in the dark. It's easy to avoid tipping your hand if you just literally don't tell anyone anything. But to put information out there that chums the water and keeps the frenzy going, while still not giving away where you're going, is extremely difficult. Him / his people have put on a class. 

Apparently, he has a very savvy agent. 

Baton Rouge is a majority black city (53.4% black per 2020 census) but you wouldn't know that sticking to the area around the LSU campus. The town is very segregated. The football players and other athletes interact a lot with girls from Southern U (which is also in BR). I'd bet the black population at LSU is probably similar to UT though, at least % wise (bear in mind that UT is twice the size of LSU, and Austin like like 4x the size of BR). I do not care for Baton Rouge whatsoever, having lived there for five years and gone to high school on the LSU campus, but the black football players are pretty damn comfy there.  I also do not think Austin wins a "diversity" argument against Baton Rouge. Austin is 6.9% black.

That all being said, I highly doubt that is determinative of him going there at all. It's like the guy asking Bobby Burton on the IT Livestream if the A&M journalism school thing would affect A&M's ability to recruit black players. 

• Like 3

Just now, closetojumping said:

The demographics shit is from what? Some idiot poster on On3 asking one question? Motherfucker. You guys can get on some really, really boring subject matter sometimes. 

Surly doing what Surly does best: going full autist.

Go ahead and add minority population between Austin and Baton Rouge to the list with geography and Stanford academics. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I think he meant "but why in the fuck does texifornia continue to post non-Texas updates about guys who were never legitimate targets for Texas?" and it is the same question the rest of us are always asking. 

only thing worse is @Reese Bennett being a poor and not being able to change the title 

I know we talked about Colin Simmons little brother a few pages ago but this was an interesting article I found regarding said brother. Would proximity to said brother matter in this recruitment? Being able to drive Austin to Dallas is quicker for family aspect than LSU to Dallas.

https://247sports.com/article/colin-simmons-5-star-top-schools-visits-lsu-texas-texas-am-usc-alabama-georgia-colorado-206595827/

Inside edge rusher Colin Simmons' rise to five-star status

The Duncanville (Texas) High standout is one of the more electric players in the 2024 class.

STEVE WILTFONGMar 15th, 1:52 PM0

It’s nice to have a dream. But a goal without a plan is just a dream.

That’s how the 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 ranked edge rusher in the 2024 class Colin Simmons operates. Blossoming into one of the nation’s most coveted football recruits didn’t happen by nature or by accident.

Sure the Duncanville (Texas) High five-star has gifts, but it took vision, then from there knowing the steps to make it happen, and after that the hardest part of all, making the sacrifices and putting in the hard work necessary to have the results come to fruition in actually achieving what was sought out to do. That is the lifestyle that encompasses the 6-foot-3, 225-pound Simmons who has scholarship offers to consider from every powerhouse college football program from coast to coast.

“Colin writes down his goals every year, whether it’s his spiritual goal, mental goal, educational goal, sports goal, he does it every year,” Simmons' mother Monica McCarley said. “The goals he sets, he achieves them, and he believes them and things have been coming true for him since.”

McCarley had her cousin Cole Roberson start mentoring her son when Colin started middle school and that’s when he started writing down his goals. They started with things like earning all A’s, trying AP courses, to becoming a starter on varsity and landing that first scholarship, and the goals then evolved into maintaining that academic standard while earning the starting defensive end spot, to landing 10 scholarships, to being an All-American, to being the No. 1 player in the country at his position to winning a state championship.

Check, check, check, check, check.

“Colin manifests everything, and pretty much what he wants for his life, it really does come true,” McCarley said. “That’s something I’ve been able to learn from. He’s taught me a lot. That’s what makes him really special. We call him Manifest King!

“It’s amazing to see him at a young age go out and work towards the things he wanted and know how to write those things down and figure out how to make it happen,” Roberson added. “For example last year he wanted to be a state champion, defensive MVP, ranked No. 1 in the nation at his position and he made those happen by training, doing extra work, looking for opportunities to workout with different coaches in the area and he wanted a trainer as well. He knew that hard work was instrumental in meeting those goals. Thankfully we were able to watch those goals come true this past fall.”

Back in December in front of 40,000 fans in the title tilt, Duncanville defeated North Shore 28-21 to cap a perfect 15-0 season with Simmons earning defensive MVP honors for the game after registering three tackles for loss, two sacks and wreaking havoc all evening including a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage that one of his teammates turned into an interception. He finished the year with 33.5 tackles for loss and 22.5 sacks.

“I just think his quickness off of the ball is really special,” Duncanville head coach and Lone Star State legend Reginald Samples said. “He really knows how to torque his body and make himself look skinny. He does the things that are just right for an edge rusher that really makes it hard for a big guy and offensive tackle to contain him. I think he plays pretty consistent all the time. He’s a smart player. He watches for down and distance and if he knows it’s going to be a pass, he turns into something different off the edge. He turns into a different kind of a player.”

A special player for sure but the secret sauce is all the sweat equity Simmons puts in that folks don’t see.

“Putting in the hard work and dedication, working out more than once or twice a day, three times a day, having the mentality to want it,” Simmons said. “Everybody has to have that mentality they want to win and get better and do right for themselves. That’s just me. I have that mentality to want to get better, want to be the best, want to be on top.”

The 247Sports Composite’s No. 4 prospect regardless of position, Simmons ability is what attracts college coaches but once they get to know him they love the intangibles as well. He’s a team leader that has life perspective beyond the sports arenas he competes in.

“There are times when I’m a little hard on the team and he’ll come and he’ll talk to me about where he feels like we are as a team and he’ll pick my brain on exactly on what’s my thinking about certain situations and how we’re approaching things,” Samples said. “It’s always good to know players are thinking out of the box.”

An aspiring finance major with an eye on real-estate, Simmons is more than an athlete. He is extremely helpful at home, doting on his his little brother Clayton who is eight-years old and has autism.

“Clayton doesn’t have many friends,” McCarley said. “Colin is his friend.”

Loud noises and bright lights keep Clayton from the Duncanville games but the two brothers have their moments at home.

“He’s a big help when needed,” McCarley said.

“We have fun, we play our games, we do what we do,” Simmons said. “He understands when I’m busy and when I’m gone he likes to play around in my room and that’s how you can tell he misses me.”

Simmons learns as much from Clayton as his brother does for him.

“He makes me look at the world differently,” Simmons said.

When Simmons isn’t terrorizing quarterbacks, studying for school or spending time with family, he is also a volunteer at For Oak Cliff, where he’s helped with several things like school supply drives that help folks in the community.

“One of the best thing about Colin is his character,” Roberson said. “His character speaks volumes about him especially with all the attention he’s received since he was a freshman. He takes it as that’s what they say but I’m Colin. He understands his role as a kid, or thinking he’s someone he’s not. His faith is very important to him. His grandmother helped instill that as a young age.”

“LeBron James, that’s the only person I look up too,” Simmons said. “The stuff he do, it’s not even stuff he do on the court, it’s giving back and stuff like that. Me where I come from, I have to give back to my community. It’s only right for me to give back to my community and loved ones and family and for him to do that, that’s a great role model to look up.”

“I’m pretty proud of him,” McCarley said.

Simmons and his family are really starting to dive into the recruiting process. Programs that have definitely made an impression include Georgia, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Florida, USC, Tennessee, Colorado, Alabama and Arizona State.

“I hear him talk about an environment more than anything,” McCarley said. “For me as his mom I’m going to tell you, these are the things extremely important to me to drop my son off at a school: I look for a diverse staff, I’m looking for a mental health staff within the football program, bible study or some type of chapel or church program that the student-athletes can be part of, also the graduation rate of their student-athletes and if they can come back and get their degree if they move on to the NFL.”

Simmons has visited LSU along with the in-state programs several times. He had a great trip to Georgia in the spring. This weekend he heads to Arizona State and from there he’ll be back at Texas on March 25, Texas A&M on April 1, USC on April 8, Florida on April 13 and June 23 and Colorado is set for April 22.

“I’ve talked to LSU about a visit,” McCarley added.

“I never thought we would get to this point or he would be highly recruited like this,” she said. “We’re just trying to figure it all out.”

While they work on that, we know Simmons will have goals, a plan and the drive to accomplish what he’s setting out to do at the school of his choice. But first there is senior year.

“I’m still setting them,” Simmons said of next year’s goals. “I want to go big this year. I want to be in the books with it. I want to break some records. I already broke some records. I want to be up there up, I want my name to be known.”

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I think Colin has the advantage of being a high profile prospect at a school loaded with talent that nobody wants to piss off so schools keep it quiet until the last minute. I don’t think it’s a case where only a handful of people know.

I do wonder if there’s any last minute NIL changes significant enough to cause him to reconsider. I don’t know how much that happens leading up to a decision. 

55 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I'd bet the black population at LSU is probably similar to UT though, at least % wise (bear in mind that UT is twice the size of LSU, and Austin like like 4x the size of BR).

Try 2.5X that of UT, % wise.

TEXAS

image.png.60243f75d2f6a394dc01191957c4fab5.png

LSU

image.png.ba0d4534a6b7f89aa10f26c191eaa356.png

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Sounds like this Thursday’s “decision” doesn’t really mean much, frankly.

I disagree. If he commits there you have to find a way to peel him away which likely requires Texas performing great and LSU tripping over their dick to some degree. I woudn't count on him flipping even assuming Texas goes 11-1 and LSU goes 10-2/9-3 but maybe I'm jaded by Bryce Anderson.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I disagree. If he commits there you have to find a way to peel him away which likely requires Texas performing great and LSU tripping over their dick to some degree. I woudn't count on him flipping even assuming Texas goes 11-1 and LSU goes 10-2/9-3 but maybe I'm jaded by Bryce Anderson.

The peeling away part is mostly the fact that we're offering way the fuck more money than LSU is, and Simmons seeing how much more he can pump out of Texas. And if the answer is "no more" and we're still 3-4x what LSU has offered, well? That's how you peel him off, as well as not sucking dick on the field, which is a given as a prerequisite. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

According to fat fuck ham eating bitch the NIL pitch from LSU's side over the past weekend was Livvy Dunn and Angel Reese. Not a football player.

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

At the same time?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Only 1 is attractive. 

spacer.png

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls