Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Guys, we got the best and starting WR from a team that won their 2nd national championship in a row last year that then proceeded to catch 10 TDs from a loaded QB room and was part of a 11-1 team.  I think we will have no issues finding an elite WR.  Hell… the first person I’m calling is Zachariah Branch and asking him if he’d like to showcase his talents in the SEC on a championship caliber team while living in ATX and making NiL.  

I posted in the DL thread on the football forum, but the announcers said last night Collins had accepted an invite to the Sr Bowl.  If we lose all of Sweat/Murphy/Collins/Carter we are going to need some guys.  That's pretty much our top 4 rotation guys this year.  I hope like hell we are back channeling with a DT or two somewhere.  Broughton, Bledsoe, maybe Bryant will get snaps next year.  It's going to be a big offseason for Mitchell as we are going to need him.  Who knows with Swanson, portal candidate?

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I posted in the DL thread on the football forum, but the announcers said last night Collins had accepted an invite to the Sr Bowl.  If we lose all of Sweat/Murphy/Collins/Carter we are going to need some guys.  That's pretty much our top 4 rotation guys this year.  I hope like hell we are back channeling with a DT or two somewhere.  Broughton, Bledsoe, maybe Bryant will get snaps next year.  It's going to be a big offseason for Mitchell as we are going to need him.  Who knows with Swanson, portal candidate?

I thought Carter had another year still? I agree we need to get another DL through the portal, but everybody and their brother is going to be looking for them as well. 

Man finding elite DTs in the portal is going to be tough.  Those guys usually don’t leave.  I think Texas will probably get some solid depth pieces like Carter and put their efforts in developing Bledsoe, Bryant, Mitchell.  Mitchell and Bledsoe have NFL bodies and Bledsoe may be the pound for pound the most athletic specimen on the team.  Dude is doing back flips at 280 lbs.  I don’t think we will get this type of production again for a while from DTs.  Pretty special season for them.  But I think we will have a good DLine next year regardless of portal candidates.  Sorrell, Burke, Bledsoe, Mitchell, Tapp, Finkley, Vasek along with incoming freshman are solid pieces.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Man finding elite DTs in the portal is going to be tough.  Those guys usually don’t leave.  I think Texas will probably get some solid depth pieces like Carter and put their efforts in developing Bledsoe, Bryant, Mitchell.  Mitchell and Bledsoe have NFL bodies and Bledsoe may be the pound for pound the most athletic specimen on the team.  Dude is doing back flips at 280 lbs.  I don’t think we will get this type of production again for a while from DTs.  Pretty special season for them.  But I think we will have a good DLine next year regardless of portal candidates.  Sorrell, Burke, Bledsoe, Mitchell, Tapp, Finkley, Vasek along with incoming freshman are solid pieces.

They don't leave and the ones that do are in the highest demand so it's a war to get involved/were recruited to the portal (Bear Alexander)

4 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
18 minutes ago, Red Five said:
Where is Trill Carter gonna go? He can start here next year. 

He can but he walked for senior day which people/Surly are taking as him leaving. As we know that's not always true, as J. Whitt walked last year for senior day as well and we know how that turned out.

I'm not sure thats entirely true. I thought Carter and neyor got taken off the senior list from last night?

7 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So I take it Catalon is coming back? Sounds like we need to put him on the JWhitt cyborg Cody rebuild program this offseason and he would be good to go…

I thought the injury this year was his leg, not the shoulder which had been the problem previously.  JWhitt had the repeated hernia issue, and then broke his collarbone, which had nothing to do with him being injury prone.  There may be some similarities.

2 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Key contributions from freshmen has to be something looked at right?  Last night these kids played great on primetime. It really did end up being a night of showcasing the under classmen. 

So this is what it looks like when you evaluate top-tier recruits correctly and develop them. It's a beautiful thing. From the beginning it seems like one of Sark's super powers is talent (mental and physical) evaluation.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m wondering about the quality of the OL and DL next year vs this year. Will both lines take a step back? 

There is some incredible OL talent waiting for their turn. I’m not worried about the OL in 2024 (or beyond) - I expect it to be a strength of the team. 

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m wondering about the quality of the OL and DL next year vs this year. Will both lines take a step back? 

After watching our 2nd and 3rd team OL blowing the Tech starting DL off the ball the entire 4Q, I wouldn't worry about it too much. We will return 4 guys that have started games. Banks, Hutson, Campbell, and Williams is a excellent start to the OL.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

After watching our 2nd and 3rd team OL blowing the Tech starting DL off the ball the entire 4Q, I wouldn't worry about it too much. We will return 4 guys that have started games. Banks, Hutson, Campbell, and Williams is a excellent start to the OL.

Connor will still be here too. Hutson may be the C

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

So I take it Catalon is coming back? Sounds like we need to put him on the JWhitt cyborg Cody rebuild program this offseason and he would be good to go…

It was interesting that Catalon came into the game in 4Q yesterday. I didn't see him during the first 3 quarters. So I guess he's healthy enough to play but they're just not confident in him? Surprising

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

For those of yall in the know does oline Cruz have ability to play C or is he strictly a G? 

He's 100% a center all the way. His HS coach moved him=there this year as well to better prepare him for college.

Gerry said he wouldn't be surprised if he heard Cruz was making moves by the end of spring he's that good and nasty at the position already.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cruz starts at C next year as a true freshman. 

It should be interesting with them looking at Hutson there for next season and Robertson looking like a quality player. If he jumps both, then that will be eye opening.

6 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I see his clips and he's nasty but is he really good enough to start in freshman yr going into a tougher conference?

Yes. He has athleticism and strength that none of the other centers have. By summer he'll likely be bigger than the other guys competing for the position.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Our defensive linemen actually develop every year and I fully expect the Mitchell’s/Broughtons/Carters of the world to step up next year. As someone else pointed out edge will be a strength and carry the line much like the tackles did this year. 

I’m actually excited to see someone beat out Hayden Connor at LG next year. We can actually get better on the left side this offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Hayden Conner has actually looked better the last 3 games. I think he'll do better next year in the SEC. He seems to struggle more with small, quicker guys.

Uh, no. With all due respect. Connor’s issue is he’s not strong enough to get any push on run blocking. Leveling up won’t help that. 

• Hook 'Em 3