Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

On 1/29/2022 at 9:22 PM, golfclap said:

On 1/29/2022 at 9:19 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Are we not looking at this guy?  Offered by Bama', aggy others.

https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Lagway-46111820/

2024 four-star quarterback from Willis High School in Texas, emerged on the Crimson Tide's radar in the last few weeks when Alabama assistant coach Drew Svoboda visited his area. Lagway was invited to Junior Day in Tuscaloosa on Saturday despite his sophomore status.

Lagway met with Alabama head coach Nick Saban who extended an offer during the visit. He traveled on his first visit to Alabama with his mom, grandma and younger brother.

"The visit was amazing," Lagway said. "The coaching staff was amazing. They made you feel like family. My favorite part of the visit was when they took us to the kitchen and taught us how to make an omelette.

"Coach Saban said that he loved the way I play off the RPO game and how I throw the deep ball. I also talked a lot with Coach Svoboda.

The University of Alabama signed Houston-area quarterback Jalen Milore in the 2021 class who also spent time talking to Lagway while in Tuscaloosa.

"We were just talking and relating to things because we’re both from Houston, and I asked how the transition from Houston to Alabama was to him," he said. "He basically just told me it’s just a grind-it-out process and that you have to trust the process, and when your name is called be ready to step up and produce."

Lagway has collected 14 scholarship offers which includes Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Houston, LSU, Ole Miss, North Carolina, TCU, Texas A&M and Texas Tech. He does not have any favorites, but said he will definitely return to Alabama.

“I like the winning mentality honestly, and how the coaching staff and the players are all on that same goal to win a championship," Lagway said about his interest in the Crimson Tide.

He had 1,580 yards passing with 21 touchdowns during the 2021 season. He also added 710 yards rushing and five additional touchdowns.

10 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

it's amazing, given the landscape of college football and it's players, that anyone would put any stock in a kid "committing" 2 years out.

Why even bother?

because you would rather he commit 2 years out to you, than to someone else

• Hook 'Em 2

Don't get me wrong. He appears to be a great talent but, while I'm glad to see this, I can't shake the feeling that he's doing it for the social media, so I won't be going to his Instagram and like his post.

This feels like Evan Stewart redux, except with an additional year of clown show.  I'm worn out.   I'll start to believe he signs with Texas about a week before signing day. Until then, let them all act like fools on Instagram/Twitter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Roach 

Spoiler

— The NCAA Dead Period ends today opening visits for Texas once again. This Friday, the Longhorns will host a few out-of-state visitors who don't have offers. Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra teammates Jason Mitchell and Cincere Rhaney will both be in attendance along with Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco wide receiver Zacharyus Williams. The three 2024 prospects will get their first look at Texas, and will have some familiarity with Maalik Murphy there. When I saw Murphy last fall, I was impressed with both Mitchell and Rhaney. Mitchell was a long and physical corner who doled out some huge hits and he's set to take Murphy's place at quarterback this fall. Rhaney ran for 1,054 yards on over 7.5 yards per carry and 12 touchdowns helping the Cavaliers win a state title. He also played on the defensive side of the ball. I didn't see Williams but he holds early offers from Arizona State, Florida State and Pittsburgh.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls