USMNT 2021

Napoleon

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I get that this is a provisional roster, but Gyasi Zardes and no Matthew Hoppe? I am angry.

Does Schalke still have to release him? One thought is that they don't want him to get hurt while looking to unload him.

15 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

23 Man Nations League Roster

No Daryl Dike, Chris Richards, or Matthew Hoppe are the disappointments.  What is the point of having 33 yo Tim Ream when we are building towards 2026 World Cup? 

41 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

More NL news....

I'm really excited to hear from Charlie Davies. I mean God, what his career could have been had he not gotten in that car accident! Edu is solid and would enjoy hearing Gooch's commentary on the back line. I will probably mute the sound when Dempsey is speaking - never cared for his me first attitude.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

No Daryl Dike, Chris Richards, or Matthew Hoppe are the disappointments.  What is the point of having 33 yo Tim Ream when we are building towards 2026 World Cup? 

Agreed. Maybe Berhalter is trying to win this tournament and doesn't want to experiment with the backline?

I'm surprised Siebatcheu got in ahead of Hoppe and Dike. I could be wrong about Siebatcheu but this seems like his opportunity to shine or GTFO considering Hoppe and Dike are behind him.

If there were only going to be two formal strikers, I would have gone Sargent and Hoppe. Although Dike would have been worthwhile to keep on the roster because unlike a former USMNT striker who believes he is an inspiration to "young black kings", Dike actually knows how to use his size. Maybe 3G is valuing technical skill over size. Hopefully Dike transfers to a club that forces him to rely more on his footwork so he develops that.

Come Gold Cup time, 3G better not go full Beerholder by leaving Daryl Dike, Chris Richards, or Matthew Hoppe off of 23 man roster. I want Konrad de la Fuente and Justin Che to be approached for that tournament too.

• Like 1

FWW, Richards would have been here, but he is injured.   Hoppe wasn't even on the provisional NL roster, thus he wasnt available for the final roster.   We have plenty of forwards.  I'd rather see Hoppe in the Gold Cup where he could play 300-400 minutes, vs maybe getting subbed in and getting 20 minutes in the NL.

Some nuggets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Does Schalke still have to release him? One thought is that they don't want him to get hurt while looking to unload him.

I'm not sure. But I take it that Schalke released Hoppe for the Switzerland friendly since he was on the match roster, so why not also be released for the Nations Cup?

• Hook 'Em 1

This 23 man roster has 4 MLS players, and 12 players on teams in one of the top 5 leagues; Pulisic, Sargent, Weston, Gio, Weah, Yunus, T Adams, Brooks, Dest, Steffen, Brooks, Ream

Our 23 man roster for the 2014 World Cup, 10 MLS players with 9 from top 5 leagues.  -Howard & Guzan, Brooks, Bedoya, Green (was technically at Bayern at the time). Fabian Johnson, Chandler, Jozy (Sunderland), Cameron (Stoke).

Our 23 that lost to TNT 17 MLSers,  4 in top 5 leagues  : Yedlin (Newcastle), Pulisic (BVB), Bobby Wood (Hamburger), Cameron (Stoke)

50 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This 23 man roster has 4 MLS players, and 12 players on teams in one of the top 5 leagues; Pulisic, Sargent, Weston, Gio, Weah, Yunus, T Adams, Brooks, Dest, Steffen, Brooks, Ream

Our 23 man roster for the 2014 World Cup, 10 MLS players with 9 from top 5 leagues.  -Howard & Guzan, Brooks, Bedoya, Green (was technically at Bayern at the time). Fabian Johnson, Chandler, Jozy (Sunderland), Cameron (Stoke).

Our 23 that lost to TNT 17 MLSers,  4 in top 5 leagues  : Yedlin (Newcastle), Pulisic (BVB), Bobby Wood (Hamburger), Cameron (Stoke)

The other 7-8 (depending upon if you count Robinson or not) are Horvath (Brugge - Belgium), Cannon (Boavista - Portugal), McKenzie (Genk - Belgium), Miazga (Anderlecht - Belgium), Robinson (Fulham - England), Yedlin (Galatasaray - Turkey), Jordan Siebatchey (BSC Young Boys - Switzerland), and Brenden Aaronson (RB Salzburg - Austria).

Horvath - his club finished 1st out of 18 teams in the Belgian First Division A

Cannon - his club finished 13th out of 18 teams in the Portuguese Primeira Liga, but he's been linked to a transfer to Spezia in Serie A

McKenzie - his club finished 4th out of 18 teams in the Belgian First Division A

Miazga - his club finished 3rd out of 18 teams in the Belgian First Division A

Robinson - his team finished 18th out of 20 teams in the English Premier League and will be relegated, however he played a full season in the EPL after playing the previous 3 seasons in League One (that's a decent jump for him)

Yedlin - his team finished 2nd out of 21 teams in the Turkish Super Lig; he also played the previous five seasons in the EPL with Sunderland (1) and Newcastle United (4)

Siebatcheu - his team finished 1st out of 10 teams in the Swiss Super League; he scored 15 goals and 2 assists across 41 matches

Aaronson - his team finished 1st out of 12 teams in the Austrian Bundesliga and won the Austrian Cup (he joined in January 2021 and scored 7 goals and 5 assists across 25 matches), and he's been linked to a transfer to RB Leipzig in the German Bundesliga

Some of the above guys are in line for Champions League experience next season:

I would make the argument that the majority of the guys listed above are better than MLS players despite not being on current Top 5 Euro League rosters themselves. But you know the MLS cabal is gonna MLS cabal, so we get Acosta, Lletget, and Yueill (I'm alright with Ochoa being selected). But the overwhelming focus needs to be on players getting time in Europe.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I get that this is a provisional roster, but Gyasi Zardes and no Matthew Hoppe? I am angry.

Why would Hoppe be there?

How many camps has he been in?

How many professional games has he scored in in his life?

Hoppe getting called into a camp will be the first step, but I doubt that he will be selected until his 2nd, 3rd, 4th camp.

Berhalter has coached Gyasi in more professional games than Hoppe has even played.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Why would Hoppe be there?

How many camps has he been in?

How many professional games has he scored in in his life?

Hoppe getting called into a camp will be the first step, but I doubt that he will be selected until his 2nd, 3rd, 4th camp.

Berhalter has coached Gyasi in more professional games than Hoppe has even played.

I made a mistake and looked at the provisional roster as opposed to the actual 23 man roster. Zardes is not part of the 23 man roster for the CONCACAF Nations League, so I no longer have reason to be upset. 

But IDGAF about the number of camps because 3G is way behind in calling Hoppe into camp. He should have been called up for camp soon after people realized who he was - that was no later than when he scored the hat trick. Hopefully Hoppe gets real time versus Switzerland as he certainly deserves that much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No one signing their first pro contract is going to the Gold Cup. 

It has nothing to do with whether they are good enough, but mostly to do with the most important thing for them being: Getting to their new club, settling in, and fighting for playing time. 

The last bit of reason is that no one yet to be called into a camp is going to immediately be placed on a tournament roster.

18 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

We had some WEAH positional chat a while back.   

Wean is growing and learning, but the WING would mean #7 & #11.

Maybe France has fucked up numbering, or maybe Weah is dumb. 🤷‍♂️ But I can understand a skinny giraffe 🦒 not wanting to post up. Kevin Durant didn’t want to do that either as a kiddo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Pulisic is a true world class talent and the one that we have on our squad right now. Dest and Gio and maybe Adams are right behind but this dude was just an integral part of a CL title run and we have never seen that from an American. Sure he didn't score but his ball control was fantastic down the stretch and I'm not sure he made one mistake. 

So whoever it was saying that "we'll be fine without him if he can't stay fit" can go fuck themselves. We have never seen a non GK American play and succeed and contribute at this level and we will need him if we want to make noise in the next WC.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Pulisic is a true world class talent and the one that we have on our squad right now. Dest and Gio and maybe Adams are right behind but this dude was just an integral part of a CL title run and we have never seen that from an American. Sure he didn't score but his ball control was fantastic down the stretch and I'm not sure he made one mistake. 

So whoever it was saying that "we'll be fine without him if he can't stay fit" can go fuck themselves. We have never seen a non GK American play and succeed and contribute at this level and we will need him if we want to make noise in the next WC.

He definitely could get there. He needs to stay healthy for a full season and maybe he will get the respect he deserves. Without a doubt when he is in the game the attack moves quite well through him. His flick to havertz that started the break that ended with his chance was beautiful. 

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sure bitch, I’ll look into fucking myself when Pulisic doesn’t blow a chip of a keeper one-on-one. 

Pulisic is better offensively than Aaronson, but he can’t hold Aaronson’s jock defensively. Nor is he the physical presence that Aaronson is on challenges. 

We are better offensively with Pulisic in the lineup, but without him we aren’t hopeless like we have been minus a key player in the past. 

Perhaps you’re already too drunk this weekend to comprehend that, but it doesn’t change the facts. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

he scored in the semi

"world-class" is tall, but you can't argue against it

fuck he should have scored on that one chance and that would have cemented the argument

and i thought you were the one that argued he had a fitness problem?

It depends on what the definition of “world class” is. 

Usually a person who is “world class” starts the match on the field. The kid who scored the winning goal for Germany in 2014will forever be a national hero, but he’s never been “world class”. (Neither has Julian Green.)

Pulisic is really good. He’s a change of pace/ game changer for a top notch team in Europe and he is the most offensively talented American player ever. His precise skill is irreplaceable at the moment for the USMNT, but we aren’t toothless without him.