Attorney General Merrick Garland - Fuck around and find out

thepop

I wanted Doug Jones, but give him the DOJ Civil Rights Division under Garland and I'll be thrilled.

Garland has unique experience prosecuting domestic terrorism under Clinton (OKC bombing, Atlanta Olympics bombing, and Ted Kaczynski).  With Trump continuing to agitate these Proud Boys, his experience will be really important. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I wanted Doug Jones, but give him the DOJ Civil Rights Division under Garland and I'll be thrilled.

Garland has unique experience prosecuting domestic terrorism under Clinton (OKC bombing, Atlanta Olympics bombing, and Ted Kaczynski).  With Trump continuing to agitate these Proud Boys, his experience will be really important. 

Thing is, the DOJ criminal prosecution apparatus is largely distributed among the US Attorneys' offices.  Sure, they need approval here and there and can be prompted or restrained from Main Justice in DC, but they're mostly autonomous.

A huge chunk of DOJs business is civil in nature, e.g. civil rights, antitrust, voting, prisons, etc. etc. and that is directed in the first instance from DC.

Hugo is right in that the DAGs, plural, tend to be more important than the AG, but the AG can definitely set a tone.

Edited by TwiceHorn

35 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I hope every Dem senator turns to flick off Mitch before voting Yes at this confirmation vote.

Garland at his confirmation hearing, turning towards Grassley, Cornyn, Graham, Lee, Cruz, Sasse, Tillis, Ernst and Crapo, all who were part of the 2016 stolen seat brigade

Oops: Tom Herman gives Longhorn Network camera double bird on Early Signing  Period

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Attorney General Merrick Garland - Fuck around and find out
49 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

How is garland on marijuana policy?

The choice of Garland will have many in the cannabis sector wondering what approach he’ll take to the legal marijuana industry, given the still-questionable relationship between federal law and state-legal MJ companies.

But in 2016, when Obama picked Garland for the Supreme Court, several MJ industry insiders said their impressions of him were favorable, based solely on a statement he’d made about basing scientific decisions on solid science.

With Biden already having vowed to support some level of federal marijuana reform, it’s unlikely he would choose an attorney general who would launch a new national crackdown on the cannabis industry.

That’s because Vice President-elect Kamala Harris was the primary Senate sponsor of the MORE Act to legalize marijuana.

And the odds for federal reform are much improved now that the Democrats appear to have taken control of both chambers of Congress on the apparent wins of both Democratic candidates in the Senate runoffs in Georgia on Tuesday.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...