2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Little-known fact: Traylor coached G.J. Kinne, a pretty fair little QB who signed with us in 2007 but was stuck behind Colt. He transferred and performed very well at Tulsa. He had a few cups of coffee in the League and played Canadian ball for a year. I wish he'd stayed and waited it out with us because in 2010 we had Squints, Connor Wood (who?) and Sherrod Harris. What a cluster-fuck.

Traylor recruited Kinne (literally) after his junior year at Canton, where he'd shown great promise. Gilmer was the Alabama of ETex at that time so I'm sure to Kinne the grass looked greener there. Kinne is now the OC and QB coach at Hawaii. 

One of TH's many, many mistakes was not keeping Traylor. Oh, well . . . 

pretty sure they still are

8 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Little-known fact: Traylor coached G.J. Kinne, a pretty fair little QB who signed with us in 2007 but was stuck behind Colt. He transferred and performed very well at Tulsa. He had a few cups of coffee in the League and played Canadian ball for a year. I wish he'd stayed and waited it out with us because in 2010 we had Squints, Connor Wood (who?) and Sherrod Harris. What a cluster-fuck.

Traylor recruited Kinne (literally) after his junior year at Canton, where he'd shown great promise.

This was also a year after Kinne's dad (his coach at Canton HS) was shot by a player's father. Kinne had good reason to want to leave Canton.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

This was also a year after Kinne's dad (his coach at Canton HS) was shot by a player's father. Kinne had good reason to want to leave Canton.

Kinne's dad recovered, albeit without a portion of his digestive tract, and was hired to coach linebackers at Baylor, with the unwritten assumption that son Kinne would sign there. Instead, he signed with us. As I mentioned earlier, I sure wish he'd stayed on the Forty.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's literally how the progression works. Started off as TE coach, moved his way up, got a head coach gig at a non p5. If he succeeds there his next stop is p5, likely low tier p5. From there it would be big time p5 school.

You don't go from HC of a g5 to OC of p5.

The Texans and Josh McCown didn’t get this memo. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

Traylor recruited Kinne (literally) after his junior year at Canton, where he'd shown great promise. Gilmer was the Alabama of ETex at that time so I'm sure to Kinne the grass looked greener there. Kinne is now the OC and QB coach at Hawaii. 

Being 2 years behind Colt, I always thought he was waiting for a chance to take the helm after Colt... until Garrett Gilbert’s dad struck the exclusive deal with FUPM. Can’t have b2b three star QBs starting at Texas, you know.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yes, I’ve seen plenty of confirmation from his end, I just hope there’s not administrative bollocks on our end. Bollocks hurt like a MFer

He may be the guy who has the most difficult time making the quick transition. If I recall correctly he was only making about $250k from his last gig, so dropping everything and moving to Austin isn't a trivial thing. I haven't heard any reports that the entire staff is on campus yet, but I did see something last week that everyone was expected in this week at some point.  

6 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

GJ’s aunt was a hot little spinner

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Given that he's already officially left MSU, it's probably just administrative bollocks.

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yes, I’ve seen plenty of confirmation from his end, I just hope there’s not administrative bollocks on our end. Bollocks hurt like a MFer

Never mind the bollocks.  

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

In 2013, Grooms was named FootballScoop.com’s 2013 Director of Football Operations of the Year for his contributions at Ohio.

Hmmm... so it’s not like he is just some JAG... once again a solid hire by Sark and Co (also comes from Vandy so maybe it balances out the “bagginess” of the perception of the staff).