2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

I won't believe any S&C hype until I see it on the field, but for context, this is what Nahlin had to say when someone asked him why opinions on Yancy changed:

Spoiler

Things evolve. He was very well received early on because guys were seeing rapid improvement.

Over time his demeanor grew tired. Pretty sure when we broke down team issues in October of 2019 we mentioned him as being part of the problem. He was part of the all bad cop all the time routine.

However, I take some of what we heard with a grain of salt because there was some mental softness in the program.

Managing that many people is hard. You don’t know who is faking and who isn’t. Everybody here has either had the co-worker who always has something wrong or is that co-worker.

He didn’t endear himself in the year of COVID. His universal approval rating practically reversed.

9 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

To illustrate this point, here is an IT "Humidor" write up on January 27, 2017 (almost exactly four years ago), two months after Tom Herman was hired. Now go re-read the IT article posted above. Seem familiar? And I'm not going to do the leg work, but I am almost positive you can find a similar article written about Pat Moorer in January of 2014, and Bennie Wylie before him.  Maybe Becton is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe not. But what is certain is that these 9.95 clowns have no fucking clue. 

Hide contents

Despite the external recruiting issues there is growing confidence within the program regarding the new direction. That shouldn't surprise but it needs to be said. The team hasn't been back long but the buy-in is much better than one could anticipate. Much of that is centered around Strength and Conditioning coach Yancy McKnight.

Last week I mentioned the coaches loved the way the team "looked." Big dudes, good length, good body compositions, etc. After some testing I'm not sure the coaches are in love with the results. I won't go into the numbers but strength in a gym sense isn't a strength.

Functional strength is more important than bro numbers and McKnight is earning the team's respect because with every exercise he explains how it relates to football. He has the team sold as far as that goes and has already earned their respect. And yeah, he's working the hell out of them.

Running is more functional; gone are distance runs that serve no football function. Those have been replaced with sprints -- both forwards and backwards. There is a lot of resistance training designed to challenge your body at different angles, almost to mimic abrupt football movements.

It's early but so far McKnight is in the sweet spot of challenging the team and earning their respect because players are seeing his intentions.

If this sounds like a veiled shot at Pat Moorer, I'll tell you Scipio wanted to take a run at "traditional training" and we just didn't get to that point. Strength lifts and stamina training hold a baseline function but they're antiquated. McKnight is ahead of the curve, or right at the bend, with sprints and explosive movements meant to duplicate what happens on the field.

Buy-in from the team couldn't be better. We only know of one likely transfer and it won't hurt. Guys who were perceived on the cusp are busting their ass. Herman said McKnight (along with Orlando) was his most important hire. I believe it.

tenor.gif?itemid=18280903

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Maddog is only S&C coach most people bitched about before it was clear his head coach was on the way out.  I guess there were also a few posters who saw Wylie up close and questioned him pretty early, but it wasn’t widespread.  

None of them are going to be that much different than anyone else that this level, but the overall culture and goals of S&C set by the head coach can make a difference.  Whether it’s Becton or Yancy, I’m sure either one could get a guy lean and twitchy if the coach wants explosive athletes to run around people.  And either could bulk a guy up if the coach wants everything to be a power game.  I think it’s pretty clear Herman way undervalued speed and overvalued bulk for the modern game.  We added way more weight than most schools do to a ton of our players, even to many of our offensive skill guys.

I don’t expect Becton to have revolutionary techniques that Yancy never knew about.  I do expect (hope) he will have better strategic marching orders from his head coach about what we’re trying to accomplish, though.  

Wylie’s philosophy is quite different from most S&C coaches. Mad Dog got lazy and entitled himself. Wylie is just off. I have no doubt he works hard. McKnight’s philosophy is fine but his ability to convey that with trust and respect waned. Players will accept an asshole if they see results.

My favorite S&C coach I ever played for was a raging asshole whose head often looked like it was going to launch off his body, but there was a method to his madness, and he walked his talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

But what is certain is that these 9.95 clowns have no fucking clue. 

Reveal hidden contents

Despite the external recruiting issues there is growing confidence within the program regarding the new direction. That shouldn't surprise but it needs to be said. The team hasn't been back long but the buy-in is much better than one could anticipate. Much of that is centered around Strength and Conditioning coach Yancy McKnight.

Last week I mentioned the coaches loved the way the team "looked." Big dudes, good length, good body compositions, etc. After some testing I'm not sure the coaches are in love with the results. I won't go into the numbers but strength in a gym sense isn't a strength.

Functional strength is more important than bro numbers and McKnight is earning the team's respect because with every exercise he explains how it relates to football. He has the team sold as far as that goes and has already earned their respect. And yeah, he's working the hell out of them.

Running is more functional; gone are distance runs that serve no football function. Those have been replaced with sprints -- both forwards and backwards. There is a lot of resistance training designed to challenge your body at different angles, almost to mimic abrupt football movements.

It's early but so far McKnight is in the sweet spot of challenging the team and earning their respect because players are seeing his intentions.

If this sounds like a veiled shot at Pat Moorer, I'll tell you Scipio wanted to take a run at "traditional training" and we just didn't get to that point. Strength lifts and stamina training hold a baseline function but they're antiquated. McKnight is ahead of the curve, or right at the bend, with sprints and explosive movements meant to duplicate what happens on the field.

Buy-in from the team couldn't be better. We only know of one likely transfer and it won't hurt. Guys who were perceived on the cusp are busting their ass. Herman said McKnight (along with Orlando) was his most important hire. I believe it.

Hope traffickers.

Can anyone point me to a pay site practice report from the Charlie Strong era that said, "P.U.!  That practice really stunk. Boy is Charlie Strong a grade-A fucking buffoon. Sorry everyone, we're going 5-7 again."

19 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I didn't really see the design. Longhorn logo/Texas/UT/T or what?

I thought it was the UT logo but on second glance it isn't completely clear. 

Similar to this one but it doesn't look like a Nike. I like it though. 

1003753502-Gray-23.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Edited by T-shirt Sip
Added the pic.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Until spring practice starts, the S&C coach is essentially a mouthpiece for the rest of the coaching staff. He's the only one allowed to directly interact, so the head coach's plans and demeanor often flow through him in the offseason (such as it is any more).

People get motivated in different ways. Not everyone will work with the spittle flicking rager of a strength coach. A good coach is part psychologist. It's only a tired body that grows and improves, but push it too far and it breaks. Getting to know who's working their best, motivating those with work to do, while not breaking the bodies is an art.

There's no wonder that, as it became more and more obvious that the previous head coaches were failing, that the S&C coach suddenly wasn't adequate either. Until on-field practice starts, they are the head coach.

Leadership is about character, communication and competency.  Only 3 ways to motivate: fear (do it or you're fired), carrot (do it and I'll pay you) and attitude.  Only the third is long lasting, its cultural.

We have no idea what we have yet, in any of these coaches.  These 18-22 yo are different cats these days.  They are going to need to trust Sark and his crew before you can lead them. Blowing them up day 1 is the last I approach I hope the S&C coach takes.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Maddog is only S&C coach most people bitched about before it was clear his head coach was on the way out.  I guess there were also a few posters who saw Wylie up close and questioned him pretty early, but it wasn’t widespread.  

None of them are going to be that much different than anyone else that this level, but the overall culture and goals of S&C set by the head coach can make a difference.  Whether it’s Becton or Yancy, I’m sure either one could get a guy lean and twitchy if the coach wants explosive athletes to run around people.  And either could bulk a guy up if the coach wants everything to be a power game.  I think it’s pretty clear Herman way undervalued speed and overvalued bulk for the modern game.  We added way more weight than most schools do to a ton of our players, even to many of our offensive skill guys.

I don’t expect Becton to have revolutionary techniques that Yancy never knew about.  I do expect (hope) he will have better strategic marching orders from his head coach about what we’re trying to accomplish, though.  

What are you trying to see here, bud? You think making Jake Smith add 20 pounds to his frame was a bad idea?

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Wylie’s philosophy is quite different from most S&C coaches. Mad Dog got lazy and entitled himself. Wylie is just off. I have no doubt he works hard. McKnight’s philosophy is fine but his ability to convey that with trust and respect waned. Players will accept an asshole if they see results.

My favorite S&C coach I ever played for was a raging asshole whose head often looked like it was going to launch off his body, but there was a method to his madness, and he walked his talk. 

I hated every antic around S&C training for football growing up. I don't know how guys handle it at the collegiate levels or higher. Just tell me what you want me to do and where you want me to go, fucker, and I will do it with full effort. I don't need your chronic halitosis blowing violently in my face along with Copenhagen spittle because you need to feel like you've pushed the prima donna to a higher level, you room temperature IQ-having meat head. In fact, if it wasn't for the games and the pussy, none of it was worth it. So, I guess, yeah, it was totally worth it. But still. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I hated every antic around S&C training for football growing up. I don't know how guys handle it at the collegiate levels or higher. Just tell me what you want me to do and where you want me to go, fucker, and I will do it with full effort. I don't need your chronic halitosis blowing violently in my face along with Copenhagen spittle because you need to feel like you've pushed the prima donna to a higher level, you room temperature IQ-having meat head. 

That's why you're slow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

That's why you're slow. 

Gauntlet laid down for September 4th, 2021, sir. Fuck around and find out and such. I've already begun overlapping cycles of horse steroids and I'm following the Sylvester Stallone Rambo 2 diet of eating nothing but grilled chicken and broccoli. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gauntlet laid down for September 4th, 2021, sir. Fuck around and find out and such. I've already begun overlapping cycles of horse steroids and I'm following the Sylvester Stallone Rambo 2 diet of eating nothing but grilled chicken and broccoli. 

I'm currently on a nice regimen of Metenolone, Trenbolone, and Oxandrolone. Soon, though, I'll start prepping for the race. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What are you trying to see here, bud? You think making Jake Smith add 20 pounds to his frame was a bad idea?

I hated every antic around S&C training for football growing up. I don't know how guys handle it at the collegiate levels or higher. Just tell me what you want me to do and where you want me to go, fucker, and I will do it with full effort. I don't need your chronic halitosis blowing violently in my face along with Copenhagen spittle because you need to feel like you've pushed the prima donna to a higher level, you room temperature IQ-having meat head. In fact, if it wasn't for the games and the pussy, none of it was worth it. So, I guess, yeah, it was totally worth it. But still. 

Hahaha!

My coach liked me because I worked hard and did what he said, and at the time I was not too big. This guy would be in everyone’s faces pre-game in the locker room yelling at the top of his lungs about having your helmet on because “we’re going to war!” He loved to grind people into dirt, which was terrible for lazy players. Dude was built about like the Hulk, undoubtedly on steroids, and I am sure his heart has long since exploded.

He would be fired these days for sure.

5 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I thought it was the UT logo but on second glance it isn't completely clear. 

Similar to this one but it doesn't look like a Nike. I like it though. 

1003753502-Gray-23.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

I thought I caught a glimpse of the state in the vid. 

Either does have a nice look to them though. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

3 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

I'm currently on a nice regimen of Metenolone, Trenbolone, and Oxandrolone. Soon, though, I'll start prepping for the race. 

Just have a sniff of some nice Peruvian marching powder before. Problem solved. 

6 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Until spring practice starts, the S&C coach is essentially a mouthpiece for the rest of the coaching staff. He's the only one allowed to directly interact, so the head coach's plans and demeanor often flow through him in the offseason (such as it is any more).

People get motivated in different ways. Not everyone will work with the spittle flicking rager of a strength coach. A good coach is part psychologist. It's only a tired body that grows and improves, but push it too far and it breaks. Getting to know who's working their best, motivating those with work to do, while not breaking the bodies is an art.

There's no wonder that, as it became more and more obvious that the previous head coaches were failing, that the S&C coach suddenly wasn't adequate either. Until on-field practice starts, they are the head coach.

I’ll know the new S&C coach is really good as soon as I hear that Whittington is going to yoga 3-5 times a week.   I’ve never done yoga in my life but that dude needs way more flexibility.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 4:11 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Gideon’s int on 4th down was a loss of 20-30 yards. He catches what he’s supposed to drop, and drops what he’s...

It was less than 20 yards, and if he had batted it down, people would be saying stupid stuff like he was trying to catch it but couldn’t. 

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

I’ll know the new S&C coach is really good as soon as I hear that Whittington is going to yoga 3-5 times a week.   I’ve never done yoga in my life but that dude needs way more flexibility.  

Well that and the whole 5% body fat thing. He's Kirk Johnson but with half a season of actual playing time. 

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

This. The new S&C coach should make his top priority getting Whittington off his brother’s bodybuilder routine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, stork642 said:

4 hours ago, Sejjr said:

This. The new S&C coach should make his top priority getting Whittington off his brother’s bodybuilder routine. 

Maybe if he’ll just lay off the “supplements” for a while, everything can have a chance to de-glassify. Not sure what that will do to his speed though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, stork642 said:

This. Whittington has to stop emulating his brother if he wants to be able to sustain himself for football. Otherwise he will just be a "looks good in the mirror" player vs anyone that Texas can ever count on.

Such a great talent just cannot stay healthy as if he cuts too fast something seemingly tears. I hope all of these players (Smith, Whittington etc) all drop some weight, gain some flexibility and get ready to play.

There's a fine line between being able to sustain tackles/blows and staying fast. Neither Smith nor Whittington's game is that of hard core blockers etc it is speed out of slot/on reverses/in space. Yancey/Herman added 20lbs to these dudes like they were armoring them up to be H-backs or some shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Traylor's brother isn't the head coach at Lee any longer, just looked it up. 

While he may be a good coach, I think he'll get his shot at a position coach at a P5 within the next few years, maybe an OC spot.  I just don't see him jumping straight to the HC of a P5 from UTSA.

That's literally how the progression works. Started off as TE coach, moved his way up, got a head coach gig at a non p5. If he succeeds there his next stop is p5, likely low tier p5. From there it would be big time p5 school.

You don't go from HC of a g5 to OC of p5.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's literally how the progression works. Started off as TE coach, moved his way up, got a head coach gig at a non p5. If he succeeds there his next stop is p5, likely low tier p5. From there it would be big time p5 school.

You don't go from HC of a g5 to OC of p5.

And yet there was a contingent of posters on Surly who were adamant about hiring Traylor as our head coach.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And yet there was a contingent of posters on Surly who were adamant about hiring Traylor as our head coach.

I think a lot of that was panic. Traylor was definitely higher on my list than some of the names that were floated out. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

What? I’m sure it has much more to do with his ability to coach. He was a major success at Gilmer.

Little-known fact: Traylor coached G.J. Kinne, a pretty fair little QB who signed with us in 2007 but was stuck behind Colt. He transferred and performed very well at Tulsa. He had a few cups of coffee in the League and played Canadian ball for a year. I wish he'd stayed and waited it out with us because in 2010 we had Squints, Connor Wood (who?) and Sherrod Harris. What a cluster-fuck.

Traylor recruited Kinne (literally) after his junior year at Canton, where he'd shown great promise. Gilmer was the Alabama of ETex at that time so I'm sure to Kinne the grass looked greener there. Kinne is now the OC and QB coach at Hawaii. 

One of TH's many, many mistakes was not keeping Traylor. Oh, well . . . 

• Rage+1 1