TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

this is all well and good, but I am curious.....which is considered the better prospect? Who is the most accurate and has the stronger arm? Frankly, I am still pissed at Herman for cheating us out of Ewers in the first place. We could have used that damned recruiting bump 2 years ago that we expect we will get now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

giphy.gif

I hate Fisher. Thought outside of catching Air McNair and Eddie George lightning in a bottle, he was basically Jason Garrett. He didn’t handle VY well. That doesn’t absolve VY of his failures after a promising start. He can’t blame Fisher on the Eagles, Bills, Packers or Browns. 

7 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

this is all well and good, but I am curious.....which is considered the better prospect? Who is the most accurate and has the stronger arm? Frankly, I am still pissed at Herman for cheating us out of Ewers in the first place. We could have used that damned recruiting bump 2 years ago that we expect we will get now.

Herman’s gone and Ewers is here. So, thanks for fucking yourself, Tom, and giving us a future without you. And Arch without a doubt will be the bigger recruiter, because of his family and Quinn has been largely out of the public eye for a year. 

Someone described Quinn as a placeholder. Could have been my brother. That’s wrong. Quinn is ridiculously talented. He’s going to be our Simms - except better with worse W-L results because it’s gonna take some time to build (not rebuild - build from scratch) the lines. But he’ll flash big time and be a 1st round pick in ‘24. Then Arch will step in as redshirt freshman with a MUCH better roster. His commitment today will ensure Sark has Top 3 classes in ‘23 and ‘24. We will be rolling like a well-oiled set of butcher knives (?) come SEC time. 

5 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

this is a whole new situation. Neither guy has to go to the League to get paid. If they are having a good enough time playing school, one or both might just hang around....

"You’re getting at least 2 out of each of them and probably 3 out of at least 1."

He meant championships.

Man, our haters are getting NERVOUS, y'all.  My texts are blowing up right now.

Perennial Top 10 Texas is coming back for another decade.  Prepare your anuses.

Edited by TexArcher
And before y'all jump on that, maybe longer than a decade if Sark doesn't get fat and lazy like Mack did...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I don't think Arch Manning is quite as good as the hype.  But he IS still very talented and while Sark's record as a HC ain't great, he has an incredible history with QBs.  I think the combination will result in an extremely good QB in the end.  AND the Manning name/hype will bring recruits.  UT just needs to beef up the guys in the trenches on both sides and they'll be a competitive team for awhile.

The same can be said for Ewers.  They may not win the Heisman, but they'll be good enough at QB to give us a chance in any game (assuming we get them some big guys on the line and a serviceable defense).

I remember the Big 12 in its heyday and how I used to scoff when people said the SEC is just different.  And then I lived in SEC country for a few years and believe me, it's just different.  The raw athleticism (size/strength/speed) is a cut above what you see anywhere else in the country, including the Big 10.  It's still a team game that includes coaching and execution, but in terms of the raw building blocks (the individual athlete), there's no comparison.  We will have to step up our game on the OL and DL to compete.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, David Crockett said:

"You’re getting at least 2 out of each of them and probably 3 out of at least 1."

He meant championships.

No, I meant seasons. 2 for Quinn, and he possibly bolts if he has the draft cache at that point. I cannot see Quinn winning a title. I bet Arch stays for 3. And wins at least one title. This is the turning point we need, combined with Sark’s success in OL recruiting, which is clearly a major upgrade from any of his predecessors*.   If we actually continue to have success in OL recruiting, Sark’s floor is a Mack-like 2000s run, which is very similar to what Kirby has already done. His base is Dabo at Clemson.  He’s clearly trying to recreate Bama after his mentor and that’s the clear ceiling. 

*Our #5 class ranking was clearly driven by OL and doesn’t even include Ewers. 

42 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I just read where Arch personally called Saban,Kiffin,Dabo and Smart and told them he was going to Texas and to thank them for recruiting him.

Top level Kid I say....

He’s a Manning. His Dad and Uncles were raised right. 

31 minutes ago, David Crockett said:

I don't think Arch Manning is quite as good as the hype.  But he IS still very talented and while Sark's record as a HC ain't great, he has an incredible history with QBs.  I think the combination will result in an extremely good QB in the end.  AND the Manning name/hype will bring recruits.  UT just needs to beef up the guys in the trenches on both sides and they'll be a competitive team for awhile.

The same can be said for Ewers.  They may not win the Heisman, but they'll be good enough at QB to give us a chance in any game (assuming we get them some big guys on the line and a serviceable defense).

I remember the Big 12 in its heyday and how I used to scoff when people said the SEC is just different.  And then I lived in SEC country for a few years and believe me, it's just different.  The raw athleticism (size/strength/speed) is a cut above what you see anywhere else in the country, including the Big 10.  It's still a team game that includes coaching and execution, but in terms of the raw building blocks (the individual athlete), there's no comparison.  We will have to step up our game on the OL and DL to compete.

Nuts. I do agree with you about needed trench help and repeat it every post. But Ewers and Arch are insanely talented. Like Trevor Lawrence or Burrow talented, arm talent and mentally. If they each don’t win a Heisman, it’s because we whiffed on OL recruiting / development.

The concern over the Horns in the SEC is ridiculous. While we will have to get used to a 10-2 season and hoping to get into the playoff as a very successful season, we faced probably a bigger issue moving to the Big 12, facing stalwarts NU, CU, and KSU, and with a program in the wilderness OU that was just about to emerge. From our inception to ‘05, it was clearly the best conference in the land. Just as the case then, our lack of talent to compete in the SEC, which exists now, is our issue and ours alone. We can turn that around in 2 cycles and will do just that. Just like Mackovic started to do and clearly Mack did. 

Nuts. I do agree with you about needed trench help and repeat it every post. But Ewers and Arch are insanely talented. Like Trevor Lawrence or Burrow talented, arm talent and mentally. If they each don’t win a Heisman, it’s because we whiffed on OL recruiting / development.
The concern over the Horns in the SEC is ridiculous. While we will have to get used to a 10-2 season and hoping to get into the playoff as a very successful season, we faced probably a bigger issue moving to the Big 12, facing stalwarts NU, CU, and KSU, and with a program in the wilderness OU that was just about to emerge. From our inception to ‘05, it was clearly the best conference in the land. Just as the case then, our lack of talent to compete in the SEC, which exists now, is our issue and ours alone. We can turn that around in 2 cycles and will do just that. Just like Mackovic started to do and clearly Mack did. 

I mean 8 of the last 9 Heisman winners played in at least the playoff with Lamar Jackson being the exception. T Law never won it, and if you are a pocket passing QB that goes 9-3 or 10-2 and doesn’t make the playoff then you probably aren’t winning the Heisman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I mean 8 of the last 9 Heisman winners played in at least the playoff with Lamar Jackson being the exception. T Law never won it, and if you are a pocket passing QB that goes 9-3 or 10-2 and doesn’t make the playoff then you probably aren’t winning the Heisman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough (Lamar and Manziel being exceptions). I don’t care about Heismans. I care about Quinn returning us to contention. And if we go 11-1 in his soph year in the Big 12 - entirely plausible, we will be in playoff. 

Good news for Sark is he’s bringing in talent at a much higher rate than his immediate two predecessors. He’s done so despite our reputation and mediocre results. Kudos to him and CDC for fostering stability and him for salesmanship. But now he’s got no excuses. 

12 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

I'll bet you $100 Kansas won't score 50 in DKR this year.

Kansas won’t score 50 combined in their next three matchups with us. 

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

I think Ewers will be better than Arch, but Arch will be more than good enough to win us a ton of games. Plus the recruiting bounce he brings will be great. Looks like we have the QB situation figured out for the next 4 seasons hopefully. Ewers will bounce after next year and Arch has the 2 years after that before he’s gone. Window for a title is now. 

As long as Quinn and Arch both dominate OU and win us a Big 12 title. Hell, I would love Arch to be the QB that leads us into our first year in the SEC(and win us that conference title too).

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm glad we have both, but I'd take Ewers over Arch any day. Ewers is a better athlete, has a stronger arm, played better competition, and earned the hype. Arch appears to be both really good and over-rated. It's pretty ideal for the next couple of years. We get Ewers on the field and Arch providing a recruiting bump.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Doesn’t make a shit. We have our next 5-6 years of starter already with Quinn and Arch. Card has zero shot to see anything other than a spot start, and Maalik ought to transfer at this point. Anyone who thinks either will play has a crack problem. 

Say Quinn gets hurt or Arch gets hurt. Maalik is still needed. And if not at QB, with how tall he is we could use him at WR. He could be another Jerrod Heard, position change wise that is. 

16 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Say Quinn gets hurt or Arch gets hurt. Maalik is still needed. And if not at QB, with how tall he is we could use him at WR. He could be another Jerrod Heard, position change wise that is. 

Absolutely but J Heard is a bad comp. JH was an electric QB. MM is a pocket passer. More of a Swoopes than can actually throw. 

Card this season and more importantly MM long term are needed. Absolutely. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Absolutely but J Heard is a bad comp. JH was an electric QB. MM is a pocket passer. More of a Swoopes than can actually throw. 

Card this season and more importantly MM long term are needed. Absolutely. 

You're right. If anything, Maalik will have his own "18 wheeler" package for powering the ball like Swoopes or he could be used as a TE. 

36 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

You're right. If anything, Maalik will have his own "18 wheeler" package for powering the ball like Swoopes or he could be used as a TE. 

Would be surprised to see that, not the way Sark has historically used his QBs

4 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

He’s a Manning. His Dad and Uncles were raised right. 

I'm not saying they suck, just that they may not be insta-Heismans.  I know quite a few people in Louisiana who know football (not just fans, but KNOW the game), know the Mannings, and have watched the kid play every week for years.  These are people who deify the Mannings, and they still say - when they're being honest/frank - that he's 85% baller and 15% hype from his last name.  The word is that Howard Walker (the kid LSU got) is a better QB - and again, this is from people who worship all things Manning.  All that being said, don't misunderstand me - I'm thrilled we got him and I think he'll be a helluva QB if he's got tools to work with and a little protection.  I'm not being negative here, just not ready to start counting the trophies just yet.

As for the SEC, I wouldn't call my comments concern.  I'm being realistic based on personal experience.  I played a little bit of collegiate athletics, am still in shape in my 40s, and can still perform at an elite level (in what I do now).  I SEE what my eyeballs are looking at, and there's a difference between large/strong/mature kids and 20-year old grown ass men. I walked into a gym in SEC country and thought I was looking at a bunch of 27-30 year old athletes.  Nope.  19-20 year olds who were redshirted, on the practice squad, not dressing out that week for whatever reason, etc.  I had been around Big 12 athletes and I, myself, scoffed at the idea that the SEC was a different level...until I saw it with my own eyes.  The play on the field is faster, harder hitting, you name it.  Does that mean they always win?  Of course not.  Like I said, it's a team sport where coaching and execution still play a major role.  If it was ONLY dependent on raw athleticism, then yeah, they'd probably win every time.  Texas can and will compete, BUT they will have to move from Big 12 athletes to SEC athletes and change their style of play to mean/nasty/tough.  Otherwise they'll win a few, but lose plenty as well.  If we want consistent 10-win seasons, they can't be the old Texas.

My opinion only, of course.

• Fuck You 3

4 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

No, I meant seasons. 2 for Quinn, and he possibly bolts if he has the draft cache at that point. I cannot see Quinn winning a title. I bet Arch stays for 3. And wins at least one title. This is the turning point we need, combined with Sark’s success in OL recruiting, which is clearly a major upgrade from any of his predecessors*.   If we actually continue to have success in OL recruiting, Sark’s floor is a Mack-like 2000s run, which is very similar to what Kirby has already done. His base is Dabo at Clemson.  He’s clearly trying to recreate Bama after his mentor and that’s the clear ceiling. 

*Our #5 class ranking was clearly driven by OL and doesn’t even include Ewers. 

I was being sarcastic; just forgot the smiley.  

Agreed on the OL; Sark's bringing them in (as he should) and we should be looking good in that regard.  Sark's also a very good QB developer/coach.  Just look at the laundry list of QBs he's coached who've gone into the NFL.  Could be simply correlation, but it's hard to say he had nothing to do with it.  If we can get a defense, we'll win more than we lose for sure.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, David Crockett said:

I SEE what my eyeballs are looking at, and there's a difference between large/strong/mature kids and 20-year old grown ass men. I walked into a gym in SEC country and thought I was looking at a bunch of 27-30 year old athletes.  Nope.  19-20 year olds who were redshirted, on the practice squad, not dressing out that week for whatever reason, etc.  I had been around Big 12 athletes and I, myself, scoffed at the idea that the SEC was a different level...until I saw it with my own eyes.

6kpuqp.jpg

1 hour ago, DiceHands said:

Hear me out...  

Quinn Ewers for 3 years.  Manning for 3 years.  Malik for 1.  We win 7 titles and 7 Heismans consecutively. 

Then...  in comes...  Jordan Young, son of Vince Young, #1 player in the universe.  4 more ships.  

giphy.gif?cid=790b76113e29482e775cc255e4

• Hook 'Em 1

I love Peyton's comment there re: kids making a big deal of announcing at press conferences, with the hat switches, etc. Meanwhile, after possibly the most celebrated recruitment in CFB history, Arch issues one simple tweet: Commited to the University of Texas.

Says a whole lot about the kid, imho. HookEm.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 7

ok....we have QB's with all the arm talent one could ask for. Supposedly both have super high football IQ's. The one ingredient we will not know about for some time is whether these guys are great "generals" on the field for lack of a better word. Perhaps Leader would be better. In my opinion the  two best I have seen in my lifetime were Vince Young and James Street. Vince with that calm, confident manner that helped the whole team to relax knowing he had their back....The way he led the summer workouts before that Natty year....He put up a bulletin board saying to meet him everyday that summer on the practice field.....if they wanted to beat OSU!

James Street the way he took the team and never lost a game. The way he stayed confident no matter what....and when fate came calling facing that 4th and 3 or 5 or whatever with DKR telling him to run aPASS PLAY???...a long one at that....He even came back and asked "coach are you sure?"   DKR waved him on....he goes to the huddle like he called the play himself....he looks at Spires and says..."Randy, listen up. I am looking at Cotton, but I am talking to you. You are gonna be a hero"....He then goesout and dropped a dime between double coverage and the rest was history.

I want a guy that can recognize his moment and then grab it by the throat!...............goddammit I am worked up!...Hookem!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1