TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

LHN has put up some interesting choices for past games this week. They showed the BYU game where the wheels came off the Garrett Gilbert wagon, and Derp and David Ash (nondrunk) had to pull it out. Then, they showed the Rice game (I know, Rice) where Casey Thompson demonstrated his clear superioity over Hudson Card, at least when it comes to throwing to the correct team, and scoring TDs. What are they getting at? Hmmm.

Also, in spite of all the bitchness associated with the departure to NU, his okie dad, and the suggestion that he may be a bit of a prima donna, good thumb Thompson was a gamer. I think Sark had to shorten his field a little to accomodate his arm, but he didn't crap his pants, and that was a vast inprovement.

Having seen those games, I realize how much of a step we will take if Ewers is half as good as the hype. 

9 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

LHN has put up some interesting choices for past games this week. They showed the BYU game where the wheels came off the Garrett Gilbert wagon, and Derp and David Ash (nondrunk) had to pull it out. Then, they showed the Rice game (I know, Rice) where Casey Thompson demonstrated his clear superioity over Hudson Card, at least when it comes to throwing to the correct team, and scoring TDs. What are they getting at? Hmmm.

Also, in spite of all the bitchness associated with the departure to NU, his okie dad, and the suggestion that he may be a bit of a prima donna, good thumb Thompson was a gamer. I think Sark had to shorten his field a little to accomodate his arm, but he didn't crap his pants, and that was a vast inprovement.

Having seen those games, I realize how much of a step we will take if Ewers is half as good as the hype. 

This has to be a joke. Casey threw an interception every 29 passes, which was the worst in the Big 12 last year. (Card 1 in 83 attempts)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Ewers hopefully provides a lot more confidence for the players as the starting QB.  It's great that when Ewers makes a mistake,  he typically forgets it and moves to the next play.  

I also feel like he'll be a better QB under pressure -- he seems to thrive better when faced with adversity.

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

Good thumb Casey looked like ass against TCU and likely loses that game if Sark doesn’t take the ball away from him. 
Bad thumb Casey significantly outplayed Card against Kansas. 

What really turned me off on Card as QB1 was those videos he did with Texas Homer for NIL. He had absolutely zero presence about him.

Quinn was relatively reserved in his first presser, but this most recent one exuded a quiet confidence that Card has never shown. 

28 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Good thumb Casey looked like ass against TCU and likely loses that game if Sark doesn’t take the ball away from him. 
Bad thumb Casey significantly outplayed Card against Kansas. 

What really turned me off on Card as QB1 was those videos he did with Texas Homer for NIL. He had absolutely zero presence about him.

Quinn was relatively reserved in his first presser, but this most recent one exuded a quiet confidence that Card has never shown. 

You know Ewers has confidence. You don’t pull off that look without it 

• Hook 'Em 1

He’s no Marty Cherry that’s for sure. The dude could be handsome though if he cleaned up his head and face hair and wore something other than potato sacks for clothes. When did neck beards become fashionable?

Edited by troph

23 minutes ago, troph said:

He’s no Marty Cherry that’s for sure. The dude could be handsome though if he cleaned up his head and face hair and wore something other than potato sacks for clothes. When did neck beards become fashionable?

Tell me you don't live in West Virginia without telling me you don't live in West Virginia.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:09 PM, Chad said:

If Ewers suffered a season ending injury may as well throw Murphy in there and let him have some meaningful reps. No need to waste reps on a dink and dunker that's going to transfer at the conclusion of the season.

Hudson Card is not transferring. Where are you idiots getting this from? He plays school. He got into McCombs MBA program and it’s not something you just do for the lulz while trying to play Football. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/26/2022 at 10:10 PM, LTtxfan said:

I like that he conflates VY’s being unemployable, but a Longhorn legend who will be taken care of for the rest of his life with “players like him [coming] back to support the university.”

😅

PS- For about 17 years, UT was signing QBs who hadn’t been born when Texas last won a “natty”*.

*QE’s word choice.

I alluded to it in Fall Camp thread but one of biggest reaons for optimism (IMO) is Quinn should be a day 1 upgrade at throwing the deep ball. 

Not to pile on Casey, but his 2021 ranks among 125 FBS QB's with at least 25 deep ball attempts (20+ yards):

• Accuracy %:  95th
  • Turnover Worthy Play %:  104th
  • Big Throw Rate:  78th
  • Average Time to Throw:  24th, which makes above even shittier. 

Anybody who watched games knows that his poor performance in this area wasn't some function of scheme or opportunity.  

Really sucks we won't get to see Neyor as a deep weapon but our ability to keep defenses more honest should be a lot better anyway.  Respect the home run threat with deeper safeties or keep a cleaner box for Bijan.  Choose your shit sandwich.  

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don’t know shit about what Ewers is like as a teammate or person but it’s pretty easy to label him with the bleach blonde mullet as a “look at me” douche and then there’s all the NIL stuff and Ohio State. But he really comes off thoughtful and humble in his interviews and then you find out he dyed his hair to honor a coach that passed away. He seems like a decent enough kid. No telling how poorly I would have handled myself at his age with everything that’s been thrown at him. 

Man I hope he’s the real deal. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, Codaxx said:

This has to be a joke. Casey threw an interception every 29 passes, which was the worst in the Big 12 last year. (Card 1 in 83 attempts)

The first time you posted that stat it surprised me, probably because Card played so scared it felt like a turnover was about to happen most plays. But posters trying to label Casey Thompson as the guy who took care of the ball is beyond comprehension. Even in his good games he’d throw at least a few balls that should’ve been picks, let alone the bad games where teams were getting consistent pressure. 

His weak arm is such a limitation to any offense. He had 3 or 4 deep shots against Northwestern with an open man and a good pocket and he’d just leave the ball 5 yards short. 

56 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hudson Card is not transferring. Where are you idiots getting this from? He plays school. He got into McCombs MBA program and it’s not something you just do for the lulz while trying to play Football. 

well what if Northwestern's Kellogg Wildcats offer him a transfer in the portal

Time to Throw:  24th, which makes above even shittier.   Anybody who watched games knows that his poor performance in this area wasn't some function of scheme

I probably jacked up the quote here, but the time to throw here is very interesting. What do it mean.

PFF has some very interesting numbers regarding sacks and time to throw.

10 hours ago, immamac said:

You sure about that chief???'

I know he's in the undergrad program, but this is the first I've heard of him getting into the MBA program, which would be quite the accomplish to 1) not only get into without work experience, but 2) get into in only 3 years of undergrad. 

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You sure about that chief???'

I know he's in the undergrad program, but this is the first I've heard of him getting into the MBA program, which would be quite the accomplish to 1) not only get into without work experience, but 2) get into in only 3 years of undergrad. 

Work experience isn't required for the MBA, I seem to have swapped Hudson and Roschon in my brain good call out

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Work experience isn't required for the MBA, I seem to have swapped Hudson and Roschon in my brain good call out

Never said it was, just that typically if one gets into a top 20 MBA program without work experience it's another level of accomplishment. And I agree with the primary point of your post which was that Hudson Card getting into the undergraduate program is a big deal and he's definitely not going to transfer prior to obtaining his degree. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn