TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

Thanks for that.

I saw three throws out of the total (17) that were bad. One interception (ball was perfect for receiver if cook hadn’t rudely interrupted) and two incompletions (first throw (understandable) and crossing route to Neyor). There were 3 or 4 more drops/incompletions but the ball was excellently placed on those. One throw behind receiver wasn’t mis-thrown, it was placed where only receiver could get it with a defender bearing down inside. One in the endzone was well placed on the sideline, but receiver was slowed hand fighting with Watts and looked like he was turning slightly inside. Even on the dump outs, the ball is leading the receiver high or low depending on player to allow them to keep momentum. The tight windows and angles he uses to slot in throws is super impressive. After seeing years of balls in the turf, high, low, stopping momentum, constantly overthrown long balls, etc, i’m having a hard time realizing he’s wearing burnt orange. I have a feeling receivers will need time to get used to it as well, at least the ones who played last year.

If we keep him upright, he’s going to do a lot of good things for us.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Thanks for that.

I saw three throws out of the total (17) that were bad. One interception (ball was perfect for receiver if cook hadn’t rudely interrupted) and two incompletions (first throw (understandable) and crossing route to Neyor). There were 3 or 4 more drops/incompletions but the ball was excellently placed on those. One throw behind receiver wasn’t mis-thrown, it was placed where only receiver could get it with a defender bearing down inside. One in the endzone was well placed on the sideline, but receiver was slowed hand fighting with Watts and looked like he was turning slightly inside. Even on the dump outs, the ball is leading the receiver high or low depending on player to allow them to keep momentum. The tight windows and angles he uses to slot in throws is super impressive. After seeing years of balls in the turf, high, low, stopping momentum, constantly overthrown long balls, etc, i’m having a hard time realizing he’s wearing burnt orange. I have a feeling receivers will need time to get used to it as well, at least the ones who played last year.

If we keep him upright, he’s going to do a lot of good things for us.

How was this user name available? 

• Hook 'Em 1

CBS College Football...

Texas

Quinn Ewers throws a pretty deep ball, but it's not enough to win the starting job yet: Texas is back ... on the field for its spring game. As second-year coach Steve Sarkisian reminded us before the festivities began, though, it wouldn't be a true scrimmage due to shortages along the offensive line. I found this to be a little annoying when five-star transfer Quinn Ewers was playing with several second-stringers, but he still made a few nice throws to show off the arm talent everybody raves about. Then, when he got some reps with the first-teamers, he unleashed a beautiful deep ball up the seam to Isaiah Neyor for a 62-yard touchdown.

Oh yeah, that's what we came to see. Of course, while impatient Longhorn fans might want Sark to name Ewers the starter already, he's not going to, nor should he, because Hudson Card played well. Card hit Ja'Tavion Sanders over the middle with a frozen rope I didn't realize he had in the arsenal. He also showed off his legs a bit, reminding us all that he was highly rated out of high school himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Card hit Ja'Tavion Sanders over the middle with a frozen rope I didn't realize he had in the arsenal.

I don't think anyone questions Card's ability to throw an intermediate bullet pass over the middle. He did it last year to Marcus Washington in the spring game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I don't think anyone questions Card's ability to throw an intermediate bullet pass over the middle. He did it last year to Marcus Washington in the spring game. 

Marcus is so physically gifted then boom you get to the fingers they are butterfingers :(

I didn't move to Texas until 2011 when I instantly became a Longhorns fan. Needless to say, I missed most of the good years and spend quite a bit of time trying to understand the past, which involves scouring the historical recruiting pages. I was curious about past QB recruiting and the big differences between head coaches. These data are according to 247 sports. I imputed Chris Simms as a .99 because no rating was available but he was the consensus #1 QB recruit.

Year Name QB type Rating Coach on Signing Day
1999 Chris Simms PRO 0.99 Brown
2000 Chance Mock PRO 0.9918 Brown
2001 Matt Nordgren PRO N/A Brown
2002 Vince Young DUAL 1 Brown
2003 None N/A N/A Brown
2004 None N/A N/A Brown
2005 Colt McCoy PRO 0.8556 Brown
2006 Jevan Snead DUAL 0.9817 Brown
2007 John Chiles ATH 0.9875 Brown
2008 None   N/A Brown
2009 Garrett Gilbert PRO 0.9918 Brown
2010 Connor Wood PRO 0.9345 Brown
2011 David Ash PRO 0.8866 Brown
2012 Connor Brewer PRO 0.9322 Brown
2013 Tyrone Swoopes ATH 0.9186 Brown
2014 Jerrod Heard DUAL 0.9678 Strong
2015 Kai Locksley ATH 0.8947 Strong
2016 Shane Buechele DUAL 0.925 Strong
2017 Sam Ehlinger DUAL 0.9446 Herman
2018 Cameron Rising PRO 0.9096 Herman
2019 Roschon Johnson DUAL 0.9111 Herman
2020 Hudson Card DUAL 0.9721 Herman
2021 Charles Wright PRO 0.8572 Sarkisian
2022 Quinn Ewers PRO 1

Sarkisian

qb.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. He's slow and not overly big or strong. Even if he had good hands, he would still be mediocre and need to be primarily a backup.

Maybe just the eye test got me in the 90 thousand mins of warmups I watched before the damn scrimmage started. 

I was looking at who stands out in each group and just on how he looks physically

QB - Murphy obviously

RB - ROJO

WR - Washington

TE - Sanders

OL - Garth

DL - Collins

LB - Overshown

DB - Watts

17 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Maybe just the eye test got me in the 90 thousand mins of warmups I watched before the damn scrimmage started. 

I was looking at who stands out in each group and just on how he looks physically

QB - Murphy obviously

RB - ROJO

WR - Washington

TE - Sanders

OL - Garth

DL - Collins

LB - Overshown

DB - Watts

Washington is the one that stands out physically among the WR corps? Not Neyor?

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Washington is the one that stands out physically among the WR corps? Not Neyor?

Well to me at least. Obviously it means nothing it's just eyeball test from up in the stands. 

Few years ago watching everyone warm up when ROJO was a freshman QB he literally looked like the only NFL athlete on the field to me lol 

Neyor looked like he was jogging on that long TD and broke away from the DBs with ease so I'm pumped to see more of him and Worthy.

I just hope Whittington can stay healthy enough to be the mid/short threat while these guys are stretching the D.

Sanders looked like the real deal at TE

Anyway back to QB

Obviously Ewers right? Card looks snake bit when any small bit of pressure happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

QB - Murphy obviously

RB - ROJO

WR - Washington

TE - Sanders

OL - Garth

DL - Collins

LB - Overshown

DB - Watts

https://www.americasbest.com/store-locations

They have quick eye exams available. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

I didn't move to Texas until 2011 when I instantly became a Longhorns fan. Needless to say, I missed most of the good years and spend quite a bit of time trying to understand the past, which involves scouring the historical recruiting pages. I was curious about past QB recruiting and the big differences between head coaches. These data are according to 247 sports. I imputed Chris Simms as a .99 because no rating was available but he was the consensus #1 QB recruit.

2003 None N/A N/A Brown
2004 None N/A N/A Brown
2008 None   N/A Brown
2022 Quinn Ewers PRO 1

Sarkisian

qb.png

9.95ers nailed Colt McCoy.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why Josh Pate believes Quinn Ewers will win the Texas QB battle in the fall

Cami Griffin       April 26, 2022 

Another year, another quarterback competition at Texas.

Last year, the fan base appeared to be split between whether Hudson Card or Casey Thompson deserved the starting nod. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian decided to use them both throughout the season, and each had their bright moments as well as their struggles.

Sarkisian then plucked former five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers out of the transfer portal to improve at the position. Thompson chose to transfer to Nebraska, while Card decided to stay and compete for the starting role alongside Ewers.

There wasn’t much separation between Card and Ewers during the Orange-White spring game last Saturday, and that was expected. Card is far more comfortable in Sarkisian’s system and has experience (although limited), while Ewers has all of summer and fall camp to reach that level.

From an overall talent standpoint, there is no doubt that Ewers is the guy. However, he has to earn this job and not just walk into it. It will take time, but college football expert Josh Pate believes Ewers will definitively separate from Card during fall camp.

Here’s what he had to say during a recent edition of Late Kick with Josh Pate.

How the quarterback battle looks after the spring game

If you just take that spring game in a vacuum and you just look at productivity, you would be led to believe this is a pretty legitimate quarterback battle. Like, there’s not a whole lot separating these two. 

– Pate

When Pate believes Ewers will separate

I think there is going to be a significant separation between the two by the time fall rolls around. And I think (Ewers), that’s gonna be the guy who definitively takes this job. He does not definitively have it right now. But when you look at where he is relative to Hudson Card, and then you understand where they are in their respective developments, and then you understand Quinn Ewers, who is all-world physically, has an entire summer session and then fall camp still in front of him, you will see the cream rise

– Pate

The hype behind Ewers is real

That’s not a knock on Hudson Card. There’s a reason Quinn Ewers has had the hype behind his name; it’s not all just industry hype. Certainly he’s not accomplished anything yet, but he is the real deal. Everyone wanted him for a reason, (second-year head coach Steve Sarkisian) badly wanted him for a reason, and the reason will eventually manifest itself out when he’s starting for them.

– Pate

On 4/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, Eggo said:

2003 None N/A N/A Brown
2004 None N/A N/A Brown
2008 None   N/A Brown
2022 Quinn Ewers PRO 1

Sarkisian

qb.png

Maalik Murphy 09294

Was the 2022 top signee. 

Quinn Ewers was a transfer. 

• Fuck You 1

I am not convinced that Sark will name Ewers the starter at the beginning of the season. But however it shakes out, I believe he'll be starting by the time we play ou. I cannot WAIT for him to make that deep throw to Neyor in the Cotton Bowl and send ou back to their miserable state with a loss. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I am not convinced that Sark will name Ewers the starter at the beginning of the season. But however it shakes out, I believe he'll be starting by the time we play ou. I cannot WAIT for him to make that deep throw to Neyor in the Cotton Bowl and send ou back to their miserable state with a loss. 

It would also be nice to beat Kansas. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Kinda of obvious from the spring game, but SARK not currently comfortable with group of QBs behind Card, Ewers  per Joe Cook below...     4:44 mark

Obviously Maalik needs to get healthy and go to work, but the rest of the group who the hell knows...  

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Kinda of obvious from the spring game, but SARK not currently comfortable with group of QBs behind Card, Ewers  per Joe Cook below...     4:44 mark

Obviously Maalik needs to get healthy and go to work, but the rest of the group who the hell knows...  

Not really going on a limb there. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Eggo said:

Tell me how this matters. 

NEWSFLASH:

None of this shit matters. None of it.

If something had to matter to be on this website, the food & travel page and the for sale page would be the  only pages on the site. 

That’s a regarded take. 

On 4/27/2022 at 9:48 PM, Napoleon said:

NEWSFLASH:

None of this shit matters. None of it.

If something had to matter to be on this website, the food & travel page and the for sale page would be the  only pages on the site. 

That’s a regarded take. 

You must be a hit at parties. 

Card reminds me of Jerrod Heard when it comes to pressure... As soon as he sees or think he sees it, he is going right. Period.  Period. Period. Spin-out or sprint-out... right.

Card throws a much nicer ball, and Heard was a far better runner (and Card can run) but it won't matter. If I see, teams see it. He's going to get pressured and take off running backward to the right... and then Ewers will play... even if he's going to overthrow the deep ball for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Card reminds me of Jerrod Heard when it comes to pressure... As soon as he sees or think he sees it, he is going right. Period.  Period. Period. Spin-out or sprint-out... right.

Card throws a much nicer ball, and Heard was a far better runner (and Card can run) but it won't matter. If I see, teams see it. He's going to get pressured and take off running backward to the right... and then Ewers will play... even if he's going to overthrow the deep ball for a while.

I remembered Card being under a lot of pressure during the Arkansas game. However, when I watched the video of him vs Arkansas earlier in this thread, I saw lots of plays where he had adequate time but couldn't locate a receiver and ended up bailing on the pocket. He had that deer-in-the-headlights look.

I watched Card and Ewers both in HS vs our Chaps. Both were under terrific pressure all game. I thought Ewers handled it better, and actually played very well despite throwing two INT's. Card threw a pick-six. Ewers threw some pretty balls that had us amazed and had a super-quick release that got him out of a lot of trouble. He feels like the best bet to me, and I sure hope he pans out.      

• Hook 'Em 3

Card is a far superior thrower to Jerrod Heard, and I was a big Heard fan. If Card can stay comfortable in the pocket for just a second longer, the plethora of weapons should give him plenty of options. Whether he can actually handle multiple reads is a different story. 

Vince Young was also notorious for going right, but no one could do anything about it even when they knew what he was going to do. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Card is a far superior thrower to Jerrod Heard, and I was a big Heard fan. If Card can stay comfortable in the pocket for just a second longer, the plethora of weapons should give him plenty of options. Whether he can actually handle multiple reads is a different story. 

Vince Young was also notorious for going right, but no one could do anything about it even when they knew what he was going to do. 

Vince went right and forward. I'm OK with that. 

Card and Heard went back and to the right. I'm not OK with that.

Card has to either get through the reads faster or stand longer or get slippery in the pocket... or get a much better OL... or move to WR.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I may be missing the sarcasm here. He went to Ohio state for the money.

I'm pretty sure he's saying his heart didn't go anywhere. The state of Texas, I'm fairly sure, had laws at the time against college kids making money and he took the free bag at OSU until he was ready to come home to his dream school. He never ever intended to stay at Ohio State and seems to admit that here. It was only for the money. He had chosen Texas since he can remember but also needed to do what was financially beneficial to him in the meantime. Can't fault him for that. I also think his decommitment probably had a hand in getting rid of Herman so give him credit there too. 

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

If it's even a question if Ewers is the starting QB for Week 1 this fall, then I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 is Sarkisian's last season in Austin.

If he starts Card, I won't watch. I'll also really start to question his judgement and QB coaching methods. 

On 4/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, Eggo said:

2003 None N/A N/A Brown
2004 None N/A N/A Brown
2008 None   N/A Brown
2022 Quinn Ewers PRO 1

Sarkisian

qb.png

You missed ALL the good years, not merely most of them. 

On 4/27/2022 at 7:34 AM, honolulu horn said:

There is no way Ewers does not start every game he’s healthy. There is no competition. 

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

If it's even a question if Ewers is the starting QB for Week 1 this fall, then I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 is Sarkisian's last season in Austin.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

If he starts Card, I won't watch. I'll also really start to question his judgement and QB coaching methods. 

There’s not a chance of that happening. Ewers will be a 3-year starter and set records here. 

19 minutes ago, Eggo said:

2018 was a pretty good year that ended in a very good way.

4-loss season. Ended with an embarrassing “We’re baaaaack” proclamation with a shitshow 2019. Every one of the 10 seasons from 2000-2009 exceeded it. It was not a good season. 

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

I wish no injury to any player, but if Ewers is not starting against Will Anderson I will NOT be upset. He should starts against UTSA and the rest of the games after that. 

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I wish no injury to any player, but if Ewers is not starting against Will Anderson I will NOT be upset. He should starts against UTSA and the rest of the games after that. 

I understand where you're coming from, but Card better not start against Bama. With Quinn we actually have a chance or can at least keep it close.