TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

Reading Wells still trying to spin Card as a plus is high comedy:

1. Another First Half Lead

Unlike the three previous games, Texas didn't grab the early lead with a super start. The offense wasn't clicking and the Cyclones took advantage of an early turnover for its first points. The Longhorns and Cyclones played a defensive match in the opening stanza, but a 14-play 75-drive with doses of Bijan Robinson mixed with a dash of Roschon Johnson, culminating in Hudson Card hitting Xavier Worthy on the jet scoring sweep was the difference after 30 minutes.

The Texas offense was uninspiring until Card entered the game. The UT defense was bend-don't-break most of the half. The Horns special teams was outstanding with redshirt freshman Kelvontay Dixon making two superb plays early in the contest.

It was a ho-hum affair in the second half with small glimpses of Card's fourth-quarter passing, Kelvontay Dixon's ability, and Keilan Robinson finally seeing the field.

2. The Offense Still Has No Answers

It wasn't like they were playing all that well coming into the game, but Iowa State's defense flustered two quarterbacks, half dozen offensive linemen, and a pair of tight ends. Receivers were open at times, the running backs had lanes on occasion, but the offensive line barely had any push, littered with penalties, and even Hudson Card added minimal help behind this mixture of misfits. Iowa State held a 470-169 yard margin midway through the final quarter.

Card has the body of a tennis player and can't read coverages, is lost all the time, and holds onto the ball too long. A wasted overhyped scholarship. 

Just got to a 2 back set with some big dude as the blocking FB.  Bijan might miss 1 or 2 games and should be shut down for the year, so that strategy would apply to other backs as a tune up for next year. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Card was horribad. Just like against Arkansas. Sark was an idiot for putting him in in the first place and conceding the game by keeping him in. WTF. 

no matter how many times you post this it won't change the fact that Casey couldn't throw a fucking 15 yard pass.

• Hook 'Em 2

We should just accept that Whittington will never stay healthy and be a long-term contributor. It sucks, but it's the truth. Moore is so bipolar. He can make the catches, and then he forgets he has hands. It's sad we literally have exactly ONE WR that can catch. Brewer fucking falls down every time he catches a pass. Bijan is overused, and Sark/Drayton are fucktards for not using Rojo and K-Rob more. Why would we need more speed? Clearly we're fine, right? Jesus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We should just accept that Whittington will never stay healthy and be a long-term contributor. It sucks, but it's the truth. Moore is so bipolar. He can make the catches, and then he forgets he has hands. It's sad we literally have exactly ONE WR that can catch. Brewer fucking falls down every time he catches a pass. Bijan is overused, and Sark/Drayton are fucktards for not using Rojo and K-Rob more. Why would we need more speed? Clearly we're fine, right? Jesus. 

Bijan is over used? He's getting 20 carries a game? If he was getting less carries I'm sure no one would be losing their minds.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Bijan is over used? He's getting 20 carries a game? If he was getting less carries I'm sure no one would be losing their minds.

I agree over used is the wrong word.  How bout overwhelmed like overwhelmed by the 5 defenders behind our line of scrimmage every time he touches the ball because our O line gets blown up over and over again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I should have elaborated when I said that. He's overused when the defense already knows what's about to happen. Try Keilan for a change, you know?

if you think he's the best running back in the country you don't give him less than 20 carries a game.

Just now, hookem48 said:

if you think he's the best running back in the country you don't give him less than 20 carries a game.

We saw what happened tonight when they knew what was coming. Is he injured or just hurt? Sucks that he took such a beating. We really should have used Rojo more at least for this particular game. He doesn't need 20+ carries every single game when the other team knows exactly when he's getting the ball and we have pussies manning the line in front of him. I love Bijan, but I love him more when he's not beat to shit  

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We saw what happened tonight when they knew what was coming. Is he injured or just hurt? Sucks that he took such a beating. We really should have used Rojo more at least for this particular game. He doesn't need 20+ carries every single game when the other team knows exactly when he's getting the ball and we have pussies manning the line in front of him. I love Bijan, but I love him more when he's not beat to shit  

If he wasn't getting 20 carries a game you guys would be losing your shit.

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I agree over used is the wrong word.  How bout overwhelmed like overwhelmed by the 5 defenders behind our line of scrimmage every time he touches the ball because our O line gets blown up over and over again.

Yet he has 1000 yards and has averaged nearly 6 yards per carry. Even today he had over 100 total yards, and that is with the defense not having to worry about either QB completing a pass longer than 10 yards.

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Well then I guess you think leaving card in to shit the bed all game was a good idea. Worked out well. What was the score again? 

keep on, it's not going to change the fact that Casey sucked even worse than Card today as hard as that is to believe.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Probably, so it's a double-edged sword, but if it's not working out at the moment then try someone new. Go with what works, and it wasn't working in the 2nd half. 

one of many reasons guys bitching about Sark right now is so stupid, what is he going to do different with any of this shit?

Just now, hookem48 said:

one of many reasons guys bitching about Sark right now is so stupid, what is he going to do different with any of this shit?

Honestly? Anything at this point. Keep starting Bijan (obviously), try Keilan in three backfield and motion to the slot, that either leaves him open, Bijan open, or Worthy not getting doubled teamed. As for the defense, until we get rid of Brockermeyer, Bush, Schooler, and Foster we're fucked. Obviously my first comment was just an idea, but for someone labeled as a "genius" he sure hasn't done much to prove he can adjust. Try some younger guys. They can't be any worse than what we have already. Moore is fine, he is what he is at this point, Washington can't catch, but he's a good blocker, Brewer can sometimes block, but falls down on every catch. Line up two TE's, give Jones more help, just literally anything at this point. Yeah, it sounds dumb af, but the genius isn't doing much with anything except the same shit over and over and now we're barely scoring 7-14 points when it was 40+. What do you think he should do? How do you think he should adjust? Why isn't he adjusting? We know nothing about the younger players because he doesn't play them, so we can't say they suck or else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Did you forget the last 4 years?

No but I wish could, he may bleed burnt orange since childhood but Ehlinger is a jag, the fact we haven't been able to recruit a tp 5 star QB prospect and develop is a huge red flag

I'd still like to see Wright get a few series before season's end. One can only assume Thompson is hurt. And it's easy to see Card is in over his head, especially with such poor blocking. I can't imagine they'd block better for Wright than anyone else, but maybe he'd give us a little spark. Or simply some reason to hope. At this point, anything to encourage the team and fans would be a victory of sorts. 

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'd still like to see Wright get a few series before season's end. One can only assume Thompson is hurt. And it's easy to see Card is in over his head, especially with such poor blocking. I can't imagine they'd block better for Wright than anyone else, but maybe he'd give us a little spark. Or simply some reason to hope. At this point, anything to encourage the team and fans would be a victory of sorts. 

Crazy part is that Wright had a terrible O-line in high school so he will probably be better at handling the pressure from opposing defenses...  

• Hook 'Em 1