TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep- I thought that same thing.  Worthy had a step on what looked like a go and then he started drifting toward the post and the ball was behind him- I thought it was a bad route

Are you talking about the one on the sideline, right after the first missed deep ball? If so, that was Moore. Not sure if it was a double move and he did the right thing, a miscommunication, or just bad throw.

Worthy was the previous one over the middle where he had like a full 5 yards of separation.

Edited by Tex-19

23 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Whoof, listening to the horn right now and they mentioned we have come completed one pass that went twenty yards in the first two games….  Ten yards was seven or eight I think they said.  Need to work some things out vs Rice and get a passing game going no matter who is in at qb.  

Don't listen to Babers too much -- he's a fuckin' beating of negativity.

Yes, the offense needs to throw the deeper passes better.  But against UL the passing offense was efficient*.   Unfortunately it was not good vs Arky due to terrible pass protection and a rattled inexperienced QB.  

* UL quote:  "In three quarters, Card was a hyper efficient 14 of 21 for 224 yards, with 2 passing touchdowns and another rushing touchdown."

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I dunno, man. I loved the way Mack responded to his team being called "soft." Calling up Bill Snyder to make the player apologize, whilst getting your pussy mashed in on the field - if that's not alpha, what is?

I'm surprised the Purple Wizard didn't tell Mack to kindly fuck off.

48 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Are you talking about the one on the sideline, right after the first missed deep ball? If so, that was Moore. Not sure if it was a double move and he did the right thing, a miscommunication, or just bad throw.

Worthy was the previous one over the middle where he had like a full 5 yards of separation.

Yeah that’s the one I was talking about. Didn’t realize it was Moore. 

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Unless he’s talking about aggy, who he regularly strokes it to.

Fuck Babers and his Avery Johnson-lite voice.

His livelihood depends in part on not getting all the Austin aggies pussies in a wad.  They will tune in to hear the sips trashed as long as you use kid gloves on their team.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

His livelihood depends in part on not getting all the Austin aggies pussies in a wad.  They will tune in to hear the sips trashed as long as you use kid gloves on their team.

Fuck him for fellating aggy, irrespective of the rationalization.

And if by “kid gloves”, you mean swallows the contents of their jizz jar on the reg, then yes, kid gloves.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Pretty reasonable to see where a 19 year old kid making his first road start in Fayettnam just freaked out. He wanted to do a good job in an important game, and the weight of the moment made him get into his own head and think about it. He opted for handoffs and give reads when he needed to risk passing. He double checked his windows instead of letting the ball go. By that time, it was too late for a fast moving game.

As fans, we're still battered and fragile. We've had our optimism crushed too many times. It's all understandable.

Letting him sit and catch up to the pace of the game stands to really help Hudson Card. Casey might fling a couple of turnovers, but it won't be because he lacked confidence. He's going to make Sark pull him back as far as aggression goes.

I think we are also used to some pretty awesome heroics by Sam to always keep us in games no matter how shitty the rest of the team is performing. It was weird just watching us go fetal position and give up the fight after the last three years of every game being close (for worse or better).

1 hour ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

FCB but does anyone have this

Got it sent to me by a friend. Nothing too surprising honestly. You can tell what parts came directly from his Dad.

Spoiler

Casey Thompson has presided over practice this week like a four-year starter - not like a fourth-year player preparing to make his first start.

“Casey is oozing confidence - in a good way,” a team source told Horns247. “He’s being vocal and decisive at practice. It’s what this team needs right now, especially coming off of last week (a 40-21 loss at Arkansas).”

Not even a minor car accident on Monday could dent the energy and enthusiasm of Thompson, who, for going on four years, has seemingly never been seen as THE guy in UT’s quarterback room by anyone other than himself.

Naysayers said Thompson leading Texas to points on 12 of his 15 career drives, including nine of his last 10, was simply garbage-time heroics. They said Thompson lacked the ceiling of redshirt freshman Hudson Card, who started the first two games for Texas.

But after taking a closer look at Thompson’s 10-play and 14-play touchdown drives in the fourth quarter of a 40-21 loss in raucous Fayetteville, Steve Sarkisian made a bold reversal in his starting quarterback decision.

Sarkisian saw Thompson stand in the pocket on third-and-4 with total calm and deliver a perfect, 15-yard strike to Jordan Whittington on a crossing route that kept a touchdown drive alive.

With Texas trailing 40-14, Sarkisian also saw Thompson do his best Sam Ehlinger impression, getting hit by four defenders while hammering his way into the end zone on fourth-and-goal from the 2 with 2:26 left.

“For him to give that kind of effort at that point of the game shows what kind of a teammate he is,” Sarkisian said on Longhorn Network’s “Rewind” on Monday.

“Casey has a high football IQ, understands what we’re trying to do and is a decisive thrower of the football. That goes back to what he did in the Alamo Bowl (last year against Colorado) as well.”

And Thompson averaged 6.3 yards per carry against Arkansas while running seven times for 44 yards and two TDs.

Thompson’s legs were especially effective on first down with carries of 6, 8, 5 (TD), 9 and 9 yards on first-and-10.

“When Arkansas’ defense was dropping eight, the quarterbacks were supposed to look for opportunities to run,” a team source said. “Casey did a good job of that, because he stayed in the pocket or stepped up in the pocket and found those lanes.

“They pressured Hudson early, and he started getting antsy in the pocket, losing his eyes downfield, losing sight of open receivers and losing sight of running lanes.”

So, why didn’t Sarkisian start Thompson to start the season?

According to sources, there are two primary reasons: 1) Card’s arm talent is undeniable - and looks even better when he’s wearing a black jersey that keeps him from getting hit in practice; and 2) Thompson, who struggled with interceptions early in camp, apparently missed a team function the Sunday morning after he threw two interceptions in an Aug. 14 fall camp scrimmage (because Thompson apparently overslept), sources said.

Card started taking the first reps with the No. 1 offense after that and never did anything to lose that role the rest of camp, sources said.

Thompson was also apparently late for the team’s check-in to enter the new south end zone of DKR on Aug. 23, according to a team source. Although, another team source said Thompson was “one of several players” given the wrong gate for the check-in and was actually on time.

Even though Thompson overcame some early turnovers in camp by finishing strong, Card also finished camp strong, and Sarkisian decided to name Card the starter.

Sarkisian informed both Card and Thompson of the decision in separate meetings on the Friday night before the team’s mock game on Aug. 28. Card was pumped. Thompson was devastated.

Sarkisian tried to say the right things to Thompson - that he had coached Matt Cassel as a backup quarterback at USC, and Cassel went on to get drafted by the New England Patriots without ever starting a college game at QB (Cassel would go on to a 14-year NFL career).

Sarkisian told Thompson that he was playing at a high level and that if Thompson kept working hard, he’d get his shot.

But Sarkisian could sense that Thompson was distraught, feeling like his window of opportunity to finally become Texas’ starting quarterback - after solid, in-game performances and three-plus years of always preparing like the starter - had been slammed shut before it even opened.

Sensing that, Sarkisian told Thompson to take the weekend to think things over.

That’s when Thompson shut off his phone and watched his favorite actor - Leo DiCaprio - in “Inception” and “The Revenant” before taking a deep breath and getting back to work as Card’s backup on the Monday before UT’s opener against No. 23 Louisiana.

“I got up on Monday (before the opener), and I went back to work,” said Thompson, who has completed 69.1 percent of his passes (29 of 42) for 407 yards and seven touchdowns with no interceptions and three rushing TDs in nine career games.

“I said, ‘No matter what happens, I’m ready to play and I’m gonna take this thing over when the opportunity presents itself.’”

Thompson showed Sarkisian he was ready for action against Louisiana by completing 4-of-5 passes, including a 16-yard strike to Jordan Whittington on third-and-9 that helped set up a 14-yard TD pass to Whittington.

Thompson also led a six-play, 18-yard drive to a field goal (following a failed onside kick by Louisiana) before going into clock-killing mode with a bunch of handoffs on his third and final drive of the game.

But it was Thompson’s pocket presence, which also allowed him to find running lanes, on two straight touchdown drives at Arkansas that convinced Sarkisian to give Thompson his first college start.

“I thought Casey showed a lot of poise and calm in the pocket and delivered the ball downfield,” Sarkisian said. “All those things add up to, ‘Hey, this guy deserves his chance.’ And I feel good about it.

“I thought Casey competed really well. It showed up on third downs. It showed up in the red area. He battled. He was ready to go, and I give him a lot of credit. That’s a hard thing to do. When you sit around basically for three quarters and then it’s time for you to go and jump right into the fray.”

Young quarterbacks getting pressured in a hostile environment, leading to bad decisions, happens. See Sam Ehlinger’s freshman season at Texas. Card showed in the spring game he was great in a clean pocket and struggled in a dirty pocket. What happened with Card at Arkansas had to have been anticipated to some degree by Sarkisian.

But sources said Sarkisian didn’t go to Thompson before UT’s 10th possession of the game, because Sarkisian wanted to keep trying to coach Card through the adversity, get him settled down and into a rhythm.

One of the other issues that developed during the Arkansas game is that Card’s struggles, combined with his quiet demeanor, didn’t provide teammates with any assurance that Card would be able to figure things out and settle into the game.

Former Texas receiver Quan Cosby addressed this very subject on his “Horns Up Charity Stripe Podcast” this week.

“Sam Ehlinger was an insanely vocal leader,” Cosby said. “And with Sam being such a vocal leader, that’s what the offense needs. What I’ve heard about Hudson (Card) is he’s a great player, works his butt off, but is super quiet.

“And I don’t know that the offense necessarily responds, because when you see him in the game, it just seems like the guys respond a little bit differently to Casey (Thompson). Well, what I’ve heard is Casey may be a little more of a vocal leader. That’s what they’re used to. So, maybe that’s something we’re gonna see - they need that kind of vocal perspective.”

Running back Bijan Robinson was asked about Sarkisian’s decision to name Thompson the starter for Saturday’s game against Rice.

“I support both guys. Both play great,” Robinson said. “But Casey has a little more experience than Hudson, and he can make some reads or some calls that he might have seen before. I’m happy for Casey. I just know that we need to execute and ride with him going forward.”

Asked what Thompson showed him in the Arkansas game, Robinson said:

“When he got in there, he looked really calm. Nothing really rattled him. Nothing really fazed him. He just looked comfortable in the pocket and made the right reads. Even when he had to tuck and run, he was still confident when he was doing that.

“So I just think him (Thompson) having that experience behind Sam (Ehlinger), when he got in, it was nothing new for him.”

For three years, Thompson has watched film on his own, has done training on his own - drawing praise from previous offensive coordinators Tim Beck and Mike Yurcich - for always being game-ready as a backup.

This summer, Thompson even took receivers Jordan Whittington, Joshua Moore and Troy Omeire with him to Brandon Marshall’s House of Athlete in Miami to train before fall camp.

Thompson said this week he won’t have to change his preparation, because he’s always been meticulous about watching full-game films of opponents on Sunday and Monday, then studying third down and red zone film on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before going to the team hotel on Friday and watching more cutups and going over his play call sheet.

“Maybe a little more time watching film with my receivers,” Thompson said. “Otherwise, I’d keep the same approach that got me where I am today. I think it’s worked.”

When Card was asked during fall camp what Thompson does best, Card said, “Taking the classroom to the field.”

After being perceived as less talented than fellow quarterback recruit Cam Rising (who ended up transferring to Utah) and serving as the backup to three-year starter Sam Ehlinger and then backing up Card - Thompson was probably beginning to wonder what he had to do to get his opportunity.

After Sarkisian told him Card would be the starter to open the season, Thompson didn’t get down, he bet on himself - again.

“I said, ‘Coach, I appreciate you and I respect your decision,’ and in my mind, I walked out of the office and said, ‘I’m just gonna have to do this myself, and I’m gonna take over when opportunity comes.’”

That opportunity for Thompson is finally here.

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

After Sarkisian told him Card would be the starter to open the season, Thompson didn’t get down, he bet on himself - again.

“I said, ‘Coach, I appreciate you and I respect your decision,’ and in my mind, I walked out of the office and said, ‘I’m just gonna have to do this myself, and I’m gonna take over when opportunity comes.’”

Who was it that said Casey cleaned out his locker after he got the news? Lol

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Got it sent to me by a friend. Nothing too surprising honestly. You can tell what parts came directly from his Dad.

Hide contents

“Casey has a high football IQ, understands what we’re trying to do and is a decisive thrower of the football. That goes back to what he did in the Alamo Bowl (last year against Colorado) as well.”

“When Arkansas’ defense was dropping eight, the quarterbacks were supposed to look for opportunities to run,” a team source said. “Casey did a good job of that, because he stayed in the pocket or stepped up in the pocket and found those lanes.

“They pressured Hudson early, and he started getting antsy in the pocket, losing his eyes downfield, losing sight of open receivers and losing sight of running lanes.”

But it was Thompson’s pocket presence, which also allowed him to find running lanes, on two straight touchdown drives at Arkansas that convinced Sarkisian to give Thompson his first college start.

“I thought Casey showed a lot of poise and calm in the pocket and delivered the ball downfield,” Sarkisian said. “All those things add up to, ‘Hey, this guy deserves his chance.’ And I feel good about it.

Asked what Thompson showed him in the Arkansas game, Robinson said:

When he got in there, he looked really calm. Nothing really rattled him. Nothing really fazed him. He just looked comfortable in the pocket and made the right reads. Even when he had to tuck and run, he was still confident when he was doing that.

This is what it's all about for Hudson. Staying calm in the pocket, keeping his eyes on receivers and pulling the trigger. If he can figure that out, he'll be a good one. He's a youngster, so plenty of reason for optimism over time.

Unfortunately for him, harder to work on those things and prove you've figured it out when you're in a non-contact jersey and not getting game reps.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Nahlin, Wells and Ian's postgame breakdown discounting Casey's performance because it's just Rice.

Oh they will. Make no mistake about it, they'll do everything they can to play his performance down because they're whiny beta cuck bitches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Do super quiet, non-assertive QBs typically change their personalities with time?  Did VY, Colt and/or Sam start off quiet and shy?  Honestly don’t know,  but if not that is gonna be a big issue for Card.

I don't know the answer on VY, Colt, or Sam. Being vocal is something Card can work out. Getting rattled is more difficult. Both of those are probably typical for redshirt freshmen. Hopefully he gets to play a lot of second half snaps and work out the kinks. 

12 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

If Thompson kicks butt versus Rice, the praise should be toned down.

Night game at the new place. We’ll play with Pride. Play calling will likely be aggressive. And it’s Rice level talent.

And it means little while at the same time maybe the start of something good.

Ok Ian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ok Ian.

Umm Rice has won twice since 1960 against Texas.

I’m guessing you were smelling your own farts after the Louisiana W not realizing you were about to shit your drawers.

We out talent Rice at probably every position. We’d beat them no matter the QB. Or RB.

So ultimately post game I do want a matter of fact view of the game. We should win handily. We should expect to do so. I want 2 100 yard rushers. A 100 yard pass catcher. A 250 yard passer. 500 yards minimum. Anything else is “let’s get back to work.”

22 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Umm Rice has won twice since 1960 against Texas.

I’m guessing you were smelling your own farts after the Louisiana W not realizing you were about to shit your drawers.

We out talent Rice at probably every position. We’d beat them no matter the QB. Or RB.

So ultimately post game I do want a matter of fact view of the game. We should win handily. We should expect to do so. I want 2 100 yard rushers. A 100 yard pass catcher. A 250 yard passer. 500 yards minimum. Anything else is “let’s get back to work.”

Yep, thats why I said preseason I was more concerned about Arky than ULL, even though ULL was the ranked team of the two. We just have more size up and down the board to out-muscle a smaller team like ULL, but Arkansas had Power 5 players with power 5 size which I knew could give us trouble. And it did. We'll beat Rice by 3+ scores just like we did against ULL and its going to be tough to take anything positive away from it aside from some dejected players on the team that may need a personal confidence boost

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That’s 100% going to happen if Thompson plays well

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

If Thompson kicks butt versus Rice, the praise should be toned down.

Night game at the new place. We’ll play with Pride. Play calling will likely be aggressive. And it’s Rice level talent.

And it means little while at the same time maybe the start of something good.

Exactly, now if/when Card enters the game in the second half, we'll talk about his arm strength, ability to fit it into a tight window and his underrated athleticism.

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Exactly, now if/when Card enters the game in the second half, we'll talk about his arm strength, ability to fit it into a tight window and his underrated athleticism.

no doubt the result of carrying his lunch pail to work everyday

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Colt was criticized in his first season for being timid in the huddle. He's a kid standing next to grown-assed men who played for trophies. He's not going to tell Kasey Studdard to pick up the effort. That team had a few leaders, so it wasn't rudderless, but it helps if the QB is authoritative. With experience comes wisdom. Colt obviously learned to stand and command.

Card will get there (not necessarily, I think the MNC terror broke Garrett Gilbert mentally), but you can't teach experience. I'm confident the team will respond to Casey Thompson's leadership, at least against Rice. Leaders can only emerge when times get rough, though.

21 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Colt was criticized in his first season for being timid in the huddle. He's a kid standing next to grown-assed men who played for trophies. He's not going to tell Kasey Studdard to pick up the effort. That team had a few leaders, so it wasn't rudderless, but it helps if the QB is authoritative. With experience comes wisdom. Colt obviously learned to stand and command.

Card will get there (not necessarily, I think the MNC terror broke Garrett Gilbert mentally), but you can't teach experience. I'm confident the team will respond to Casey Thompson's leadership, at least against Rice. Leaders can only emerge when times get rough, though.

Not totally true. You just lose when times get tough and don't have a leader. Leaders can lead and blow people the fuck out too.

This cannot be stated enough. Tossing Gilbert in that game was the worst thing that happened in his career imo. Same happens all the time in the NFL. Here is to hoping he can recover from that. Kid has talent for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

Not totally true. You just lose when times get tough and don't have a leader. Leaders can lead and blow people the fuck out too.

My point being that you don't really know what a leader can do when everything's working out.

When everyone's a step away, overthinking their job, and mistakes are leading to other mistakes, your leaders show up and refocus everyone. They're the ones that are able to seemingly switch the momentum back to their side. In reality, they're doing it because the players calm down and play like they've been trained.

12 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Username ✔ 

Thx for the numbers = "Had Enough"  😋

7 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

The decision to revert to Knute Rockne's playbook didn't do him any favors either. 

• Like 1

The decision to revert to Knute Rockne's playbook didn't do him any favors either. 

Yeah, that was the rhetoric. But we were so bad it at it we got down in games and started to chuck it (450+attempts). Gilbert was really really bad in 2010. Like worse than Swoopes bad.

Harsin employed a more run-oriented pro attack in the coming years. It was about as good as you could have with the QBs and oline he inherited.