TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. This is fucking hilarious. 2nd clip, Josh Moore astutely points out the blitzing CB, and Casey doesn't recognize it a throw an easy pass to a wide open Moore for a TD. 

A good QB recognizes it and burns the shit out of Baylor for an easy 6. This is why QB is the most important need in the portal. You don't need a great OL and WR to turn that into a TD, but you need a good QB.

Maybe he thought moore would drop it

• Haha 1

Maybe the play call is "Hand the ball off" because we're going for it on 4th down and we want yardage and to run the clock under 2 minutes if we have to give the ball back.

We punted on 4th.

Looks to be crappy run by Bijan. He’s 1v1 with the corner but chooses not to take it. Not only that but it looks like he’s running inside the block to where the defender is being blocked.

29 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We punted on 4th.

Looks to be crappy run by Bijan. He’s 1v1 with the corner but chooses not to take it. Not only that but it looks like he’s running inside the block to where the defender is being blocked.

If we'd gotten another yard, maybe?  In game, my assumption was, "we're running here, and if we get close, we're running again..."

On 11/1/2021 at 9:01 AM, Eskimohorn said:

Casey’s been good enough. Card will get killed out there.

You do realize that 1) Card is bigger than Thompson and 2) Card is more athletic than Thompson.

Sark is probably operating with half the normal playbook considering Thompson can't throw a pass further than 15 yards without the ball touching the moon. Maybe Card isn't the answer but saying Casey is "good enough" after 3 straight losses is accepting being mediocre. Sure, every position has stuff they aren't good at right now but if you look at Thompson's performance independent of anyone else's performance, it shows we are severely limited with him on the field. Josh Moore may have single handedly cost us 14 points but Thompson cost us about 17 points in his own right. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

If we'd gotten another yard, maybe?  In game, my assumption was, "we're running here, and if we get close, we're running again..."

No, you’re right. If we were a yard short, I bet he goes for it.

I wouldn’t expect the QB to see the blitz. Best chance would be Moore to alert him.

Just no idea what Moore is doing once he realizes it isn’t coming his way. No attempt to get the safety just looks like he’s going to block the goalpost. That very easily could have been a huge play.

You do realize that 1) Card is bigger than Thompson and 2) Card is more athletic than Thompson.
Sark is probably operating with half the normal playbook considering Thompson can't throw a pass further than 15 yards without the ball touching the moon. Maybe Card isn't the answer but saying Casey is "good enough" after 3 straight losses is accepting being mediocre. Sure, every position has stuff they aren't good at right now but if you look at Thompson's performance independent of anyone else's performance, it shows we are severely limited with him on the field. Josh Moore may have single handedly cost us 14 points but Thompson cost us about 17 points in his own right. 

“Card is more athletic” I’ll have to take your word on that. He’s looked tentative, robotic, and easy to obliterate in all game action at this level. He’s closer to Shane Buechele.

Casey and Card should be good enough. We’re basically running 4 offensive lineman out there, have no tight ends that can block and are marginal receivers, and our real receivers drop 4-5 passes per game, sometimes back breakers.

I’ve already seen Casey connect on more deep passes in his short time than any QB since Buechele at the beginning of his 2016 campaign, before he got rocked against Cal early in the season.

What am I missing? That we believe a QB in a new system, making his 7th start ever, with marginal talent along the line of scrimmage, will not struggle?

We’re trotting out Tope Imade.

Look, Iowa State is gonna tee off on us. We will not win. And Casey will struggle. He’s still the best option.

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

No, you’re right. If we were a yard short, I bet he goes for it.

I wouldn’t expect the QB to see the blitz. Best chance would be Moore to alert him.

Just no idea what Moore is doing once he realizes it isn’t coming his way. No attempt to get the safety just looks like he’s going to block the goalpost. That very easily could have been a huge play.

Moore clearly pointed out the blitzing CB, and he was running his route, the same route and concept he scored a TD on 20 minutes earlier.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

“Card is more athletic” I’ll have to take your word on that. He’s looked tentative, robotic, and easy to obliterate in all game action at this level. He’s closer to Shane Buechele.

Casey and Card should be good enough. We’re basically running 4 offensive lineman out there, have no tight ends that can block and are marginal receivers, and our real receivers drop 4-5 passes per game, sometimes back breakers.

I’ve already seen Casey connect on more deep passes in his short time than any QB since Buechele at the beginning of his 2016 campaign, before he got rocked against Cal early in the season.

What am I missing? That we believe a QB in a new system, making his 7th start ever, with marginal talent along the line of scrimmage, will not struggle?

We’re trotting out Tope Imade.

Look, Iowa State is gonna tee off on us. We will not win. And Casey will struggle. He’s still the best option.

We are trotting out OL that have allowed Bijan to average over 130 yards per game going into the Baylor game. They aren't AA's but neither were the the OL in 2008-2009 and the offense was consistently good, and McCoy didn't have a RB like Johnson or Keilan Robinson, let alone Bijan. He also didn't have a TE worth a shit, and had 2 good WR in 2008 and only 1 in 2009.

Elite QBs make their teammates better. Casey makes his teammates worse.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Wonder if Casey even survives whole game vs Iowa State -- Casey's banged up and missed practice Monday and will probably get pounded this Saturday.  

BTW,  the Iowa State defense should have their best defensive player LB Mike Rose returning from injury just in time for Texas...

giphy.gif

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. —  Iowa State’s hope to return to the Big 12 Conference championship game took a direct hit, especially to the defense. The side of the ball that’s been the Cyclones’ most consistent, was something less than that during a 38-31 loss at West Virginia Saturday.

Pass defense? Non-existent.

Tackling? Horrific.

Chance of Iowa State returning to the conference championship game?

Dim, although not officially eliminated.

Was missing linebacker Mike Rose, the team’s most consistent defensive player, that big a deal?

Let me count the ways.

We are trotting out OL that have allowed Bijan to average over 130 yards per game going into the Baylor game. They aren't AA's but neither were the the OL in 2008-2009 and the offense was consistently good, and McCoy didn't have a RB like Johnson or Keilan Robinson, let alone Bijan. He also didn't have a TE worth a shit, and had 2 good WR in 2008 and only 1 in 2009.
Elite QBs make their teammates better. Casey makes his teammates worse.

Im guessing Bijan is still leading the nation in YAC

Colt McCoy is probably a Top 20 college QB of all-time. So thats a meaningless comp.

Yet, Colt sucked against most good teams in 2009. Early we wondered if he had the flu. Then we barely scored against OU and Nebraska. The dropoff wasnt in Colt, but on some talent loss and teams catching up with the dink and dunk offense.

With 2009’s defense and special teams, 2021 Texas would also be undefeated at this point. And Casey would be cruising to victories. And we wouldnt be having this discussion.

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

With 2009’s defense and special teams, 2021 Texas would also be undefeated at this point. And Casey would be cruising to victories. And we wouldnt be having this discussion.

With a top 3rd Big 12 QB Texas is probably -1 or -2 right now. Casey had back to back weeks with the chance to win the game and failed to get a first down either time. We officially have a QB issue. 

With a top 3rd Big 12 QB Texas is probably -1 or -2 right now. Casey had back to back weeks with the chance to win the game and failed to get a first down either time. We officially have a QB issue. 

We’ll never know. We have a bottom 1/4 defense and offensive line. We barely got a push against Rice.

Watch how ineffective Patrick Mahomes was in the Super Bowl when his line was getting defenestrated. This past weekend Tom Brady looked terrible because his supporting cast was outmatched.

Moore clearly pointed out the blitzing CB, and he was running his route, the same route and concept he scored a TD on 20 minutes earlier.

Right, I didn’t mean Moore didn’t alert him but rather typically he’d have to be the one to identify.

I just would have thought on this play he would have known the ball is not coming his way and proceeded to make an effort to block. As it turned out, it would not have mattered. The corner not the safety cared what he was doing.

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We’ll never know. We have a bottom 1/4 defense and offensive line. We barely got a push against Rice.

Watch how ineffective Patrick Mahomes was in the Super Bowl when his line was getting defenestrated. This past weekend Tom Brady looked terrible because his supporting cast was outmatched.

He has personally left double digit points on the field each of the last two weeks. Good QBs make those plays and win those games. We currently don't get that from Thompson, whether he is playing with this team or a Pop Warner team he's going to miss throws due to bad mechanics and poor awareness 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Right, I didn’t mean Moore didn’t alert him but rather typically he’d have to be the one to identify.

I just would have thought on this play he would have known the ball is not coming his way and proceeded to make an effort to block. As it turned out, it would not have mattered. The corner not the safety cared what he was doing.

Why would he have known the ball isnt coming his way? Its an RPO and the CB is blitzing. He probably was giddy thinking he was going to get 20+ yards on the play. He had no shot to block the safety anyway, as he crashed on the run action.

• Hook 'Em 2

We barely got a push against Rice.

Go back and watch again.

Three 60+ yard runs. Only 1, maybe 2 guys had a legit chance to tackle our RBs on any of them. And the main attempt likely could have been a guy that we couldn’t account for. On Bijans run, Angilau absolutely obliterated his guy.

BU was selling out pretty hard to shut down Bijan. I think OSU did too. It’s a reasonably constant theme this year from opposing defenses. Don’t let Bijan beat you.

If we get better QB play, we win. But yeah if we get better WR play, we win. If the line plays better, we win. That’s what happens when you’re not great.

Specific to the QB position, we aren’t getting many off schedule plays. The pick 6 vs OSU was the play of the day. Versus BU, we couldn’t run but left tons of points on the board. That was part WR, part QB.

At this point, Card should get some series in each game. That was the plan for Casey. Should be the plan since now we’re just playing for a bowl.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Go back and watch again.

Three 60+ yard runs. Only 1, maybe 2 guys had a legit chance to tackle our RBs on any of them. And the main attempt likely could have been a guy that we couldn’t account for. On Bijans run, Angilau absolutely obliterated his guy.

BU was selling out pretty hard to shut down Bijan. I think OSU did too. It’s a reasonably constant theme this year from opposing defenses. Don’t let Bijan beat you.

If we get better QB play, we win. But yeah if we get better WR play, we win. If the line plays better, we win. That’s what happens when you’re not great.

Specific to the QB position, we aren’t getting many off schedule plays. The pick 6 vs OSU was the play of the day. Versus BU, we couldn’t run but left tons of points on the board. That was part WR, part QB.

At this point, Card should get some series in each game. That was the plan for Casey. Should be the plan since now we’re just playing for a bowl.

Against OSU, the pick six completely changed the game and let OSU climb back in. If we go up 24-3, and Sanders has to throw the ball more, we probably win by two scores. That play was on Casey. We had a chance to score late in the third, when Casey threw a quick slant to Moore, but he couldn't hang on.

Against Baylor, Joshua Moore shaved about 17-21 points off of our potential production. The dropped TD, fumble, and inability to catch the ball that led to an INT prevented us from pinning Baylor down by three scores and forcing another shitty passer to throw more. It's been a while since I've seen an non-QB cost us the game that quickly. We need Whittington back, badly.

Casey has huge limitations, but the losses aren't all on him.

Edited by USNALonghorn

Why would he have known the ball isnt coming his way? Its an RPO and the CB is blitzing. He probably was giddy thinking he was going to get 20+ yards on the play. He had no shot to block the safety anyway, as he crashed on the run action.

At some point in the play, he knew the ball wasn’t coming his way but just kept going. There is no way of knowing at what point he knew that though. I acknowledged he wouldn’t have gotten the safety but had Bijan gotten outside it’s possible a block from him could have been critical. It just played out differently than what you typically see since no one even reacted to him. My initial reaction was maybe he was ticked and just kept going to prove some point rather than consider the play wasn’t over.

Anyway, y’all win. He’s probably just finishing his route.

Against OSU, the pick six completely changed the game and let OSU climb back in. If we go up 24-3, and Sanders has to throw the ball more, we probably win by two scores. That play was on Casey. We had a chance to score late in the third, when Casey threw a quick slant to Moore, but he couldn't hang on.
Against Baylor, Joshua Moore shaved about 17-21 points off of our potential production. The dropped TD, fumble, and inability to catch the ball that led to an INT prevented us from pinning Baylor down by three scores and forcing another shitty passer to throw more. It's been a while since I've seen an non-QB cost us the game that quickly. We need Whittington back, badly.
Casey has huge limitations, but the losses aren't all on him.

Not all on Casey. In spite of Moores errors, we still had chances. Casey’s big miss was the throw out of bounds to Worthy. Washington could have made some catches. Lots of missed opportunities. I do think Whittington could have made a difference.

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Not all on Casey. In spite of Moores errors, we still had chances. Casey’s big miss was the throw out of bounds to Worthy. Washington could have made some catches. Lots of missed opportunities. I do think Whittington could have made a difference.

Washington play kind of summarizes the issues. He gets a couple yards behind the Baylor Secondary. Casey moon ball is slightly behind him. Now its a 50/50 ball. If he makes a better play, its a big gain. If Casey makes a better throw, its a big gain. Both are mediocre and its an incomplete. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

At what point does Card get another shot.  I am pretty sure we all know what we have in Thompson as this point.  

I’d say next series problem is he makes a cluster of a situation if Card isn’t noticeably better.

3 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yep.  I was on the Casey train since last spring. I don’t know if card will win more of the remaining games but shit give him some experience 

I really don’t know what happened but I’m not a football expert. He had so much promise the first few games and coming out of last year. 

Edited by troph

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yep.  I was on the Casey train since last spring. I don’t know if card will win more of the remaining games but shit give him some experience 

I was saying this a few days ago, before the game even started. I feel this way about all the young guys. The season's a mess; let's use it to give the young guys practice and focus on next year.

• Hook 'Em 1