TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

One thing that occurs to me is that the schizoid nature of the OL probably is seriously fucking with both QBs.

They are actually adequate in pass pro for stretches and then absolutely on rollerskates or blocking air.

There were a couple of times last night where you could see Card kind of start to think about bailing the pocket, then he's like "no, I'm ok" only to have either his own blocker driven right into him or someone slip right by after being engaged.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing that occurs to me is that the schizoid nature of the OL probably is seriously fucking with both QBs.

They are actually adequate in pass pro for stretches and then absolutely on rollerskates or blocking air.

There were a couple of times last night where you could see Card kind of start to think about bailing the pocket, then he's like "no, I'm ok" only to have either his own blocker driven right into him or someone slip right by after being engaged.

OL is a major problem. The problem is you can’t have mediocre QB play behind below average OL play. Bijan is an example. He is going to be among the rushing leaders at the end of the season in the Big 12. He is currently 9th in yards BEFORE contact in the Big 12. That is an example of a great player making a weak unit look better. At QB they are highlighting the weaknesses on the OL 

• Hook 'Em 2

QB is the #1 issue with the offense. There is almost no play making ability out of the position. Nothing off schedule to speak of. Very few anticipatory throws. Part of this is due to touching the ball every play so plays made relative to plays made is too low.

Guys are open. A lot. And often wide open.

Two of the first 3 possessions were ended because we missed relatively easy throws. There’s the over throw to Worthy. Even if underthrown we can make it work. On the intentional grounding, that was the QB. 100%. Bijan and Brewer were both open with chances to convert.

Sark is trying, but he’s causing himself problems. The QB sneak was outrageously dumb. I’m not sure RoJo has been stopped in those situations. But no way in hell the defense won’t jump all over a play fake to Bijan there. That possession was killed due to the play call.

That’s 4 possessions killed and not because of the Oline or the WRs.

His perspective on no stationary targets doesn’t help either. Those can be easy and quick throws for QBs. We need both. Wiley is a massive target. That could have been significant. We are over relying on Bijan. Slightly. His pass blocking is lacking and quite frankly he’s been useless as a pass receiving outlet when not the primary target. RoJo could easily serve that function. Bijans touches aren’t creating wear and tear, but he’s playing too many plays, which probably are.

We’re not great anywhere, but were getting enough that if the QB is good and consistent we win two of the last 3 and give us a chance in the 3rd. That’s not to say that the other positions have not helped create some of the QB issues. But this is absolutely the #1 position that needs to step up.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

QB is the #1 issue with the offense. There is almost no play making ability out of the position. Nothing off schedule to speak of. Very few anticipatory throws. Part of this is due to touching the ball every play so plays made relative to plays made is too low.

Two of the first 3 possessions were ended because we missed relatively easy throws. There’s the over throw to Worthy. Even if underthrown we can make it work. On the intentional grounding, that was the QB. 100%. Bijan and Brewer were both open with chances to convert.

Sark is trying, but he’s causing himself problems. The QB sneak was outrageously dumb. I’m not sure RoJo has been stopped in those situations. But no way in hell the defense won’t jump all over a play fake to Bijan there. That possession was killed due to the play call.

That’s 4 possessions killed and not because of the Oline or the WRs.

His perspective on no stationary targets doesn’t help either. Those can be easy and quick throws for QBs. We need both. Wiley is a massive target. That could have been significant. We are over relying on Bijan. Slightly. His pass blocking is lacking and quite frankly he’s been useless as a pass receiving outlet when not the primary target. RoJo could easily serve that function. Bijans touches aren’t creating wear and tear, but he’s playing too many plays, which probably are.

We’re not great anywhere, but were getting enough that if the QB is good and consistent we win two of the last 3 and give us a chance in the 3rd. That’s not to say that the other positions have not helped create some of the QB issues. But this is absolutely the #1 position that needs to step up.

Pretty much in agreement, except calling a QB sneak outrageously dumb. This seems more like it didn’t work, so it sucks type rationale. QB sneak is never a dumb call in short yardage. Literally no running play would have worked as Majors got his ass shoved back 2 yards on the play. The middle of your line gets blown up, you are generally fucked 

• Like 1

Pretty much in agreement, except calling a QB sneak outrageously dumb. This seems more like it didn’t work, so it sucks type rationale. QB sneak is never a dumb call in short yardage. Literally no running play would have worked as Majors got his ass shoved back 2 yards on the play. The middle of your line gets blown up, you are generally fucked 

Yeah, that was overly dramatic. But we would relieve some pressure up the middle if we would get on the edge on occasion with a play fake to Bijan. Getting under center pretty much guarantees those inside guys are trying to blow it up. Knowing our personnel, I’d probably never go Card under center for the sneak. But you’re right, it always has a chance.

19 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This is one thing you couldn't say last year with what seemed to be a slightly more functional WR corps, except Worthy.

So that is one sign of offensive effectiveness.  That is completely mitigated by the QBs inability to hit them.

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m willing to see what RoJo can do for a series

I’m no coach, but I’ve watched or attended about 6000 games in the last 60+ years. A series is nothing; we should toss him in for a whole 3rd quarter as a change up and see what happens.  Might wake up our QB1 and QB2.  What’s to lose at this point? No invite to the Meinecke Muffler Bowl?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/8/2021 at 9:47 AM, Horn Draoi said:

I’m no coach, but I’ve watched or attended about 6000 games in the last 60+ years. A series is nothing; we should toss him in for a whole 3rd quarter as a change up and see what happens.  Might wake up our QB1 and QB2.  What’s to lose at this point? No invite to the Meinecke Muffler Bowl?

I recall Baylor almost kicking our ass with their running, last hope QB a few years back. Attack the edges with outside Zone or quick passes like I'm watching friggin Ohio U execute right now.

11 hours ago, Boogie Chillen said:

I recall Baylor almost kicking our ass with their running, last hope QB a few years back. Attack the edges with outside Zone or quick passes like I'm watching friggin Ohio U execute right now.

that requires an OL that can block consistently well, which is a major issue with this and the last few OLs. 

On 11/7/2021 at 1:42 PM, Had Enough said:

Absolutely not. #1 problem with the offense is the o-line. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Absolutely not. #1 problem with the offense is the o-line. 

Nope.

QB.

I’ve gone back and watched much of the BU game. Three negatives/no gain runs. None due to the Oline missing a block. The TE was late coming off the double. This potentially could have been the OT, but the TE reacted and the tackle was covered then engaged. One was the corner blitz. One on one tackle. Another was the damn safety in the backfield. No one to account for him.

Pass pro pretty solid. Sometimes it’s one free or semi-free rusher. And sometimes it’s the RB not doing the job. That was the case versus OSU too.

Versus BU, there was a gimme 6 right down the middle, but we threw wide to Moore into double coverage. Tv didn’t show that on replay so unless they replayed it later you gimps watching TV never saw it. That screen attempt versus BU on the last drive. That’s on the QB. Give ground to get a half second more.

The only shitshow pass pro was certain series in the 2nd half versus OU. At least with Thompson. Now we do like to completely whiff too often, but that’s not enough to make a QB skiddish. He’s taken very few big hits.

I think it was two of the first three series vs ISU that ended with a throw in the dirt. Plenty o time to make a play. Missed a wide open Worthy for 6. Intentional grounding cause the QB wouldn’t throw it then rolls right into traffic.

That said we have many issues. QB touches the ball every play. Guys are open. A lot. Not just receivers either. Great QB play can overcome inadequacy elsewhere.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Nope.

QB.

I’ve gone back and watched much of the BU game. Three negatives/no gain runs. None due to the Oline missing a block. The TE was late coming off the double. This potentially could have been the OT, but the TE reacted and the tackle was covered then engaged. One was the corner blitz. One on one tackle. Another was the damn safety in the backfield. No one to account for him.

Pass pro pretty solid. Sometimes it’s one free or semi-free rusher. And sometimes it’s the RB not doing the job. That was the case versus OSU too.

Versus BU, there was a gimme 6 right down the middle, but we threw wide to Moore into double coverage. Tv didn’t show that on replay so unless they replayed it later you gimps watching TV never saw it. That screen attempt versus BU on the last drive. That’s on the QB. Give ground to get a half second more.

The only shitshow pass pro was certain series in the 2nd half versus OU. At least with Thompson. Now we do like to completely whiff too often, but that’s not enough to make a QB skiddish. He’s taken very few big hits.

I think it was two of the first three series vs ISU that ended with a throw in the dirt. Plenty o time to make a play. Missed a wide open Worthy for 6. Intentional grounding cause the QB wouldn’t throw it then rolls right into traffic.

That said we have many issues. QB touches the ball every play. Guys are open. A lot. Not just receivers either. Great QB play can overcome inadequacy elsewhere.

This is why I said the biggest loss for this team was Sam. We are a different team if Sam is here. 1 maybe 2 losses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

How sure are we Sam would do well in this scheme? How do we know he would be healthy behind this offensive line?

Sam got hit harder and more often every single year here. This year our QBs haven’t taken particularly hard hits. Thompson has had some awkward falls while about to be hit. Most of the tough hits on Sam were running the ball so you cut much of that out you cut out many of the riskier.

The Colts got rid of two guys with more experience at the NFL level who more physically fit the profile to keep Sam. I’d venture that scheme is somewhat similar to this one.

That said it only takes one.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How sure are we Sam would do well in this scheme? How do we know he would be healthy behind this offensive line?

I think Sam's greatest contribution would be his leadership. Its hard to be a pussy when your QB will try to truck LBs for an extra yard. You remember Kerstetter last year? I think he got 2-3 personal fouls protecting Sam. He went from borderline dirty player to a pacifist. I think Rojo vs ISU is the first to even push a defender off the QB this year. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I mean, nothing is a guarantee but I personally think Sam was way better than even he showed here due to Herman's bullshit offense. Sam lost but Sam never folded. We all like to give credit to Herman for always keeping it close when in reality it was Sam. He was a fighter. He didn't have the strongest arm out there but damn if he didn't stand in there and make the throws.

This year I am seeing more guys open here than I've seen in a long time. Zone beating routes. Natural picks. It's all on display every week and we are just missing them due to inexperience. When you walk up to a line as an experienced QB and see a particular alignment, you already know there are only a couple types of coverages it can morph into post snap(unless you are facing Muschamp). So you should have a pretty good idea where you will be open. Sark makes it easier by getting someone moving pre-snap to decipher man or zone. Regardless, we struggle with off script playmaking as well. Our QBs get pressure and their eyes come down and the play is effectively over. Sam made a lot of plays off the cuff. I can truly see how Sark could absolutely murder a defense with solid QB play and a decent run game. As bad as we have been on the line this year plays were still there to be made, if only we had a QB to make them. Both QBs heads are spinning right now. They seem to be trying to see it open instead of letting the coverage vs route concept dictate where to go. I can't remember who we were playing, but we had a zone beating concept on one side and a single receiver on the other. Watching Casey drop back and never look away from the single receiver told me everything I needed to know. It doesn't help that when we do finally make throws the receivers drop the ball ala Baylor.

• Like 2

5t34mj.gif

Wow FCB has been talking to Casey's Dad again...   smdh,  fuckin' blowing smoke up Casey's ass

10702718.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: © Jeffrey Becker, USA TODAY Sports)

One of the biggest questions going into the final two games of the regular season is what does Sarkisian plan to do at quarterback heading into 2022?

Sarkisian got the full backing of athletic director Chris Del Conte Tuesday in Del Conte’s weekly 40 Acres Insider newsletter.

Ten games into the season, however, Sarkisian has yet to give his backing to the futures of Casey Thompson or Hudson Card at Texas beyond the next game.

Thompson, who has started eight games this season and will be UT’s starter Saturday at West Virginia, was asked this week what he has to do to get Sarkisian’s full backing as UT’s quarterback?

“I think I just need to continue to prove myself and make the most of my opportunities,” Thompson said. “As a competitor and me being a part of this team and just playing this game, I want to win. I want to compete, but I also want to play from start to finish.

“So if I’m going to strap up and lace my cleats, I want to play every snap - every down. But, at the end of the day, Coach Sark has to do what he feels is best for the team.”

Through 10 games, Thompson has led Texas to points on 49 of 90 drives (54.4 percent), including 40 touchdowns and nine field goals while completing 64.3 percent of his passes with a Big 12-leading 23 touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

In Sam Ehlinger’s final three seasons at Texas as the starting quarterback, Ehlinger averaged 27 TD passes, seven interceptions and a 63.4 percent completion rate.

Card has led Texas to points on nine of his 34 drives (26.5 percent), including eight touchdowns and one field goal.

Despite Card leading Texas to points on just one of 11 drives in a 30-7 loss at Iowa State, including five straight three-and-outs totaling minus-25 yards spanning the second and third quarters (when UT’s defense finally gave out), Sarkisian decided to rotate Thompson and Card against Kansas.

Both Thompson and Card suffered strip sacks by Kansas defensive end Kyron Johnson.

Johnson beat junior left tackle Christian Jones for the strip-sack of Thompson on UT’s first drive and beat redshirt freshman left tackle Andrej Karic for the strip-sack of Card with 1:35 left in the second quarter.

Both fumbles led to touchdowns by the Jayhawks.

Following the strip-sack of Card, Sarkisian put Card back in the game for a third straight series after giving Thompson the first two series in the game.

With 1:09 remaining, Texas had the ball at its own 19, and on first down, Card stared down his intended target on an out route, and Kansas freshman cornerback Jacobee Bryant easily jumped the route and returned the interception 31 yards for a pick-six that put KU up 35-14 with one minute left in the half.

Thompson was the only quarterback who played in the second half, leading the Longhorns to touchdowns on five of their final eight possessions, including a three-play drive with :44 left (and no timeouts), capped by a 25-yard TD pass to tight end Cade Brewer with :22 left in regulation, tying the game 49-49 and forcing overtime.

Thompson suffered an interception with 1:10 left in regulation when Worthy, who had a huge game with 14 receptions for 152 yards and three touchdowns, inexplicably cut behind the defender on a post route, allowing Kansas safety O.J. Burroughs to make an easy pickoff. Worthy was supposed to cross the face of the safety on the route.

10718758.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: © Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)

In the first possession of overtime, Thompson hit Marcus Washington for an 8-yard TD pass, giving Thompson a total of seven touchdowns, including a school single-game record-tying, six TD passes, matching Colt McCoy’s six TD passes against Baylor in 2006.

Thompson also had a 1-yard rushing touchdown early in the third quarter, capping an 11-play, 65-yard scoring drive that helped erase Kansas’ 35-14 halftime lead.

Thompson became the first quarterback in the Big 12 since Kyler Murray to throw for six touchdowns with a rushing TD in a game and the first QB in the Big 12 since Patrick Mahomes in 2016 to have multiple five-touchdown passing games with a rushing touchdown (Texas Tech, KU).

With his COVID-19 redshirt, Thompson has two more years of eligibility. So is he worth bringing back with the Longhorns next season? Or is he part of Sarkisian’s plan to turn over the roster because Sarkisian is already looking for a transfer portal quarterback?

The case for Thompson to be brought back as the starter would be:

He’s just eight starts into his college career and already has shown he can handle the big stage against Oklahoma (20 of 34 passing, 388 yards, 5 TDs, no turnovers). Most of the key players on the defenses that gave Thompson the most trouble - Oklahoma State, Baylor and Iowa State - are seniors this season.

Despite a thin and inconsistent receiving corps, a struggling offensive line and a thumb injury on his throwing hand the past five games, Thompson is the first quarterback in Texas history to throw for five TDs in three games (Texas Tech, OU and Kansas). Colt McCoy had two (six vs Baylor in 2006; and five vs Baylor in 2008).

In UT’s loss at Baylor, Texas receivers dropped four passes in critical situations (one in the end zone, another was intercepted).

Does the Kansas game turn out differently if Sarkisian doesn’t rotate quarterbacks?

If Sarkisian doesn’t start talking about Thompson as his starting quarterback going into next season soon, is Sarkisian telling us he’ll be going into the portal to start over completely at the position next season?

“Casey competed his tail off and played extremely well,” Sarkisian said Monday of Thompson’s seven-TD performance against Kansas. “Obviously, going into this week’s game, Casey is going to be our starting quarterback.

“Ultimately, you know we can identify Casey, but I think he’s a microcosm of the entire roster. It’s about consistency, and it’s about playing with consistency at whatever our role is on our football team for any player.”

Thompson couldn’t get an opportunity on the field the past three seasons behind Ehlinger until Ehlinger injured his shoulder at halftime of the Alamo Bowl last season against Colorado. Even though Thompson led UT to points on all five of his drives in the second half of that game, fans seemed more excited about the idea of Card at quarterback heading into this season.

Card started the season but led UT to points on just one of 10 drives in a 40-21 loss at Arkansas.

Thompson has started every game since.

Thompson’s two worst games of the season came against Oklahoma State (15-of-27 passing for 179 yards and a TD with two interceptions, including a pick-six) and at Iowa State, when his thumb injury flared up and he was pulled after four series (2-of-6 passing for 2 yards).

But Thompson played well enough to win against:

— Oklahoma … 20-of-34 passing for 388 yards and five TDs as the offense put up 48 points.

— Baylor … 23-of-38 passing for 280 yards and two TDs with five carries for 45 yards, including a 25-yard run as well as one interception that went through Joshua Moore’s hands.

— Kansas … 30-of-43 passing for 358 yards and six TDs as well as six carries for 28 yards and a TD as the offense put up 56 points.

Those who’ve said Thompson didn’t play well at TCU - he led the offense to points on seven of UT’s first 10 drives, including a 12-play, 75-yard drive to a 32-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Whittington with 13:46 left, putting Texas up by 12. On that drive, Thompson converted two third downs with his feet.

Some folks have said I’ve been a Thompson homer. I think I’ve just tried to point out what Thompson has been able to do when he gets an opportunity on the field - whether it was Mike Yurcich’s offense or Sarkisian’s.

It’s hard to argue Thompson has been doubted since he arrived on campus - buried behind Ehlinger, Cam Rising and even Card - by fans and coaches. And when he’s gotten opportunities, Thompson has shown he prepares and battles.

Thompson said Monday, “I’m just trying to take one week at a time. I mean, every week is different. We don’t always have the same guys playing on Saturdays. Guys get injured. Guys get sick. So, it’s always flowing, always changing. We just have to be able to adapt as a team and as individuals. That’s what I’m trying to do as well as keeping the mindset of, ‘I just want to get better as a football player, as a quarterback and as a leader.’”

Thompson’s latest audition for Sarkisian’s backing will come Saturday in Morgantown.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we need a transfer QB as much as anyone but I will admit that Casey's injury may have been bigger than we're giving credit for. He was unstoppable before the injury and quickly turned into a turd afterwards. Hard to say for sure if that was the injury or the tougher competition, but the injury probably played a part.

Healthy Casey in Year 2 in the system might actually be a suitable option.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not just Casey, either. I think Sam Ehlinger was playing through injuries for a good number of his games, both ribs and shoulder. Casey should have been playing in several more games under MensaTom.

We'll see what happens at QB this spring, but if and when Casey's hand heals, I suspect he'll be just fine.

The thumb injury was definitely legit and it definitely limited him, but Casey was also limited before the thumb injury as well. He was spiking throws against TCU and throwing moon balls long before the OU game. We probably win at least 2 more games this year if he is 100% healthy, but they shouldn't bank on his fully healed thumb to solve the QB problems. 

Also, his dad feeling the need to have one of his friends release photos of his sons hurt thumb to try to justify what happened this season is hilarious. Of course the 3 biggest bozos on our media beat are the ones tagged in the tweet because Charles knows those idiots will eat right off the plate he serves them.

Edited by Hookem2147

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, his dad feeling the need to have one of his friends release photos of his sons hurt thumb to try to justify what happened this season is hilarious. Of course the 3 biggest bozos on our media beat are the ones tagged in the tweet because Charles knows those idiots will eat right off the plate he serves them.

Yeah... so tired of FCB being Casey's Dad's microphone... here's tag on the tweet

I mean, look at this? @ChipBrown247 @AnwarRichardson @BDavisAAS 

5t34mj.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

The thumb injury was definitely legit and it definitely limited him, but Casey was also limited before the thumb injury as well. He was spiking throws against TCU and throwing moon balls long before the OU game. We probably win at least 2 more games this year if he is 100% healthy, but they shouldn't bank on his fully healed thumb to solve the QB problems. 

Because every QB hits their ceiling in 3 starts? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Zay has been busy trying to recruit more guys to Texas -- gangsta to be helping go after another QB...

100% agree both him and Bijan have been all over Twitter recruiting players.  They want to win and they want to win here 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...