TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

I am a Casey guy.  I feel like we havent seen that Casey that we expected at this point.  However, I dont think he is necessarily playing bad or is at fault for our losses.  He has 0 help.  No o line, no recievers outside of Worthy...  You cant do shit if your guys cant catch

Im leaning to the camp of "the season is over, play the young guys like Card".  I think after next week, esp if we lose, Card will finish out the season. 

Edited by DiceHands
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Not sure why Card won’t start the next game.  Card lost the Arky game and Casey has lost the Oklahoma, OSU, and Baylor game.  I’ve seen enough of Casey to know that his instincts are terrible.  He always goes for the down field shot even when all need need is 10 yards or the game is over.  I want to see what Card can do.  Done with Casey. 

Who cares who plays QB at this point 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Casey’s footwork is absolute crap btw. Worse than Card’s “happy feet” or whatever people called it against Arkansas. The offensive line actually gave him some time yesterday in pass protection and he constantly was chopping his feet and throwing as his body was fading backwards.

• Like 1

Not sure why Card won’t start the next game.  Card lost the Arky game and Casey has lost the Oklahoma, OSU, and Baylor game.  I’ve seen enough of Casey to know that his instincts are terrible.  He always goes for the down field shot even when all need need is 10 yards or the game is over.  I want to see what Card can do.  Done with Casey. 

Card won’t start because Sark is an idiot. He didn’t start him when Casey was hurt, he won’t start him now in attempts to avoid a QB controversy.

27 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

This is not true. Sometimes he dumps it off to a blanketed receiver when someone is wide open down field. He’s not limited in his lack of vision.

Good point.  His receivers weren’t helping him out yesterday but he missed a wide open easy TD to X which eventually led to the Moore fumble.  That fumble never happens if Casey can throw that easy TD.  There have been a lot of opportunities that Casey has missed which could have significantly eased the pressure on the whole team.   I like Casey but I’ve seen enough to know he’s not the starter.  If Card can’t get it done put in RoJo.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

We've seen everything we need to see from Casey at this point. He is a very high quality backup with a higher floor and a lower ceiling than Card. I was disappointed in some of his decision making in the last two games. He either can't process the field quickly enough or is keyed in on big plays. There were multiple situations where he could have taken a check down or run for easy yards.  

I'm not opposed to seeing what Card can do. But I would wait until after the ISU loss to make that change. Re-inserting him in a hostile environment could lead to a repeat of the Arkansas game. That's not how you build confidence. Let him start at home against Kansas. If he goes full deer in the headlights, just run the wildcat with RoJo and Robinson^2.

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

ffaaf7e417f940324aabba2e2f2cac15.jpg

This theme came up several times yesterday. Plenty of room to run but also receivers coming open. No conversion.

38 pass attempts. 2 sacks. 4 QB hurries.

I feel like Sark tells them to never run or something because Card did this same exact thing.  I dont get it.  Take the free yards.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, DiceHands said:

I feel like Sark tells them to never run or something because Card did this same exact thing.  I dont get it.  Take the free yards.

That’s why the notion that Casey was “going to take the free yards” like he did when Arkansas was playing prevent was never going to be true. Sark tells his QB’s to scramble to throw, not scramble to run.

• Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Both QBs are ass, my dude

This is highly possible. Casey is a limited QB that needs a good situation to succeed. Card is a real talent, but maybe limited by his mental abilities. He was overwhelmed and confused vs Ark. was that simply a young QB failing his his first test or a sign of a fatal flaw? I have no idea 

• Hook 'Em 1

We likely do over Coach here on this point. Let ‘em play instinctively. Down and distance is important. A first down conversion on 3rd and 10 for 12 yards is more important than getting 25. And getting 8 when it’s 4 down territory is a good move.

Yes, I assume Card running sideways along the LOS was due to this coaching point.

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That’s why the notion that Casey was “going to take the free yards” like he did when Arkansas was playing prevent was never going to be true. Sark tells his QB’s to scramble to throw, not scramble to run.

then why didn't Casey throw instead of running into 4 defenders to lose the OSU game on 4th down?  No coach is going to say never run, we just have a qb that doesn't see the damn field because it's not just running lanes he misses. No way to know what Card would be doing after 6 games, that dude was a deer in the headlights vs Arkansas, there was no saving him that night.

also what coach tells his qb to scramble to run first and throw second?

55 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is highly possible. Casey is a limited QB that needs a good situation to succeed. Card is a real talent, but maybe limited by his mental abilities. He was overwhelmed and confused vs Ark. was that simply a young QB failing his his first test or a sign of a fatal flaw? I have no idea 

Yeah Card’s issues are mental. Which isn’t that rare for a freshman. I’d like to see him again now that he’s had more time to get comfortable in the offense. Probably wouldn’t throw him in vs ISU though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You guys are crazy if you think it’s a good idea to start Card on the road at night against a hostile crowd that knows this is the last ever game against UT in Ames with a Swiss cheese offensive line, receivers who can’t catch and a defense that can’t stop the run and can’t rush the passer. We might lose 55-0 and Card is wheeled off the field straight into an ambulance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You guys are crazy if you think it’s a good idea to start Card on the road at night against a hostile crowd that knows this is the last ever game against UT in Ames with a Swiss cheese offensive line, receivers who can’t catch and a defense that can’t stop the run and can’t rush the passer. We might lose 55-0 and Card is wheeled off the field straight into an ambulance. 

yea, starting Card this week would be stupid, going to have to ride Casey.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This is why Lincoln Riley is just a better coach. He doesn't give a fuck about feelings, he gives a fuck about winning. 

Sark benched Card but he didn't have a 5 star to turn to. wtf is this feelings shit?

Edited by hookem48

22 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah Card’s issues are mental. Which isn’t that rare for a freshman. I’d like to see him again now that he’s had more time to get comfortable in the offense. Probably wouldn’t throw him in vs ISU though.

This is true. Ames would be a tough spot to trough him in, especially after yanking him after the most hostile environment of the season 

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Sark benched Card but he didn't have a 5 star to turn to. wtf is this feelings shit?

He kept splitting reps and prolonged the qb battle by a month so Casey wouldn't transfer. He then promised them both playing time because Thompson cleaned out his locker when he lost the battle. Card got pulled 2 series early in the Louisiana game so he could appease Thompson. He has allowed a JAGs ego to dictate the position he was hailed to be a godsend at. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

5 star or not, he still didn't give a shit and benched his starting qb for a kid that's never started a game. 

Card needed to be benched in the Arkansas game at halftime. First drive of the second half at the absolute latest. 

Casey should start the Iowa state game and if he sucks there should be benched either at halftime of that game or for the Kansas game depending ultimately on what happens next week. 

It’s ridiculous to me to blame the loss to Baylor on Casey when there are so many other things worse from that game than the QB play, starting with both lines and the receivers minus X. Our OL managed to make Bijan look pedestrian. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Card needed to be benched in the Arkansas game at halftime. First drive of the second half at the absolute latest. 

Casey should start the Iowa state game and if he sucks there should be benched either at halftime of that game or for the Kansas game depending ultimately on what happens next week. 

It’s ridiculous to me to blame the loss to Baylor on Casey when there are so many other things worse from that game than the QB play, starting with both lines and the receivers minus X. Our OL managed to make Bijan look pedestrian. 

I'm just saying try something new if it needs it at the time. Casey missed several runs he could have made if he actually did it. I'm not saying Card should replace Casey for the season, but Sark's job is to win, and if that  means bring in Card to see what he can do against Baylor, so be it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

5 star or not, he still didn't give a shit and benched his starting qb for a kid that's never started a game. 

oh for fuck's sake the dude threw up 2 punts that his guys made plays on against us and if they didn't Rattler is starting the next week.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

oh for fuck's sake the dude threw up 2 punts that his guys made plays on against us and if they didn't Rattler is starting the next week.

And it's amazing that all of their WR's can seem to catch a ball. How are we this stupid? I'm desperate at this point to just try something, anything. We have shitty WR's, shitty o-line, and shitty blocking. Maybe Cards scrambling ability could have helped, I dunno. I'm frustrated. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I don’t think anyone is blaming Casey. He is far from the biggest problem, but you can’t swap out 8 other players. He has limitations and think most people have recognized them. I think most people are curious if the strong arm kid can overcome his issues and help the offense. I highly doubt anyone is confident that Card can lead Texas to 4 straight victories. It is more “Texas is 4-4, let’s find out what is here for the future”. Not to mention Casey is 8th in QBR In the conference 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

How do we even know Card has mental issues? Because he struggled in his second career start on the road where the entire team shit the bed? He isn’t the first QB to have a bad half when he is getting zero help from his playcaller or teammates. If Whittington catches his pass in the endzone on the second drive that entire game and narrative changes.

I don’t know if Card is the answer but writing him off like many are after 3 bad quarters is stupid. Thompson had a lower QBR through 3 quarters against TCU than Card had against Arkansas.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t think anyone is blaming Casey. He is far from the biggest problem, but you can’t swap out 8 other players. He has limitations and think most people have recognized them. I think most people are curious if the strong arm kid can overcome his issues and help the offense. I highly doubt anyone is confident that Card can lead Texas to 4 straight victories. It is more “Texas is 4-4, let’s find out what is here for the future”. Not to mention Casey is 8th in QBR In the conference 

This is where I am. We have a pretty good evaluation of what Casey is and isn’t at this point. If we start him the rest of the way, we lose Card, and barring an appearance by Ewers in the portal, Casey is our starter all of next year as well. Unless Casey pulls off an unexpected road victory in Ames, I’m starting Card the last three games to see what I’ve got. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

He kept splitting reps and prolonged the qb battle by a month so Casey wouldn't transfer. He then promised them both playing time because Thompson cleaned out his locker when he lost the battle. Card got pulled 2 series early in the Louisiana game so he could appease Thompson. He has allowed a JAGs ego to dictate the position he was hailed to be a godsend at. 

Well Casey has had his chance so if he gets replaced and wants to transfer now good luck to him.  If he can’t succeed in Sarks offense I guess he can transfer to a group of 5 school. Yeah the oline sucks but name me one power 5 with a better oline that would take Casey. None.  I’m really not hating on Casey he’s just not very good.  Time to see if anyone else on this roster is any good. 

23 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Assuming Card isn't terrible or regressing for some reason at practice, he needs to start next week. I'm not a 9.95er and I'm not playing favorites. 

Casey is a great guy and great teammate. But he has bad pocket presence, is a slow decision maker, and has a below average arm. Sark's scheme and Xavier Worthy make his stats looks great. But watching his overall play, everything is a half second slow. His feet in the pocket are slow, he's too casual on play action when feeling pressure, he's lackadaisical when trying to execute screen passes. 

Card had a messy couple of games vs. Louisiana and Arkansas, but everything he does is a twitch faster and with more urgency. 

The offensive identity is more fully formed now 8 games into the season. We now know Worthy is THE man at WR, we are still loaded at RB, and know our deficiencies on OL. 

There's a reason Sark awarded Card with the starting position after the offseason. Give him another chance next week. We should be playing for 2022 at this point. 

Hasn't Casey essentially thrown the rest of the offense under the bus in the last 2 post game interviews. I wouldn't necessarily say he's a great teammate. I also didn't think him spending time in Florida this summer repping with NFL WRs was a great sign of leadership either.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Hasn't Casey essentially thrown the rest of the offense under the bus in the last 2 post game interviews. I wouldn't necessarily say he's a great teammate. I also didn't think him spending time in Florida this summer repping with NFL WRs was a great sign of leadership either.

The only proof we have that he is a good teammate is cause he hasn’t transferred yet. The narrative that he stuck it out is quite stupid once you realized no other top end P5 them would clamor for his services in the portal. He will have fun leading NC State to the Duke’s Mayo bowl next year.

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm just saying try something new if it needs it at the time. Casey missed several runs he could have made if he actually did it. I'm not saying Card should replace Casey for the season, but Sark's job is to win, and if that  means bring in Card to see what he can do against Baylor, so be it. 

If Casey could read a defense and throw WRs open he wouldn't need to scramble, that is the biggest issue. Because he's so bad at the 2 primary needs of a QB in this offense, the scrambles are all that is left, because the defense has already taken away the windows for the high percentage passing.

For instance, on the final drive against Baylor.

1st down, the screen is set up, but Casey freaks out at the Baylor DL coming free. Guess what, Casey, that is by design. We had the fucking screen set up to Bijan for a huge fucking gain.

2nd down, he steps up in the pocket, Washington in running wide open between the hashes, 3+ yards of separation from both Baylor DBs. Where does the pass take him, right into the trail defender on the near hash, making an easy catch into a contested 50/50 at best possibility.

3rd down, misses a wide open Brewer for an easy 6 yard gain. Then misses a wide open WR on the far hash running right down the field wide open. The 3rd WR on that side came open late, but by then the Baylor pressure got to Casey and he threw a wounded duck out of bounds.

4th down, Baylor rushes four and manages to collapse the pocket, but the don't maintain any rush lane integrity. Casey smartly rolls out and has 10 yards of separation between him and the nearest Baylor defender. Roschon is wide open on the near hash, but Casey decides to throw to Worthy, who is blanketed by the Baylor CB, and is surrounded by 2 other Baylor defenders. Casey's mechanics on this throw are terrible. His left foot is behind his right foot, using only his upper body to deliver the pass. Easy incompletion game over.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Well Casey has had his chance so if he gets replaced and wants to transfer now good luck to him.  If he can’t succeed in Sarks offense I guess he can transfer to a group of 5 school. Yeah the oline sucks but name me one power 5 with a better oline that would take Casey. None.  I’m really not hating on Casey he’s just not very good.  Time to see if anyone else on this roster is any good. 

The thing is, he has put up decent stats because Sarkisian's offense gets the WRs open. A good QB would have had 400+ yards with the way the Baylor defense was playing to stop Bijan at all costs. We don't have a good QB in Casey. The evidence is clear now.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The thing is, he has put up decent stats because Sarkisian's offense gets the WRs open. A good QB would have had 400+ yards with the way the Baylor defense was playing to stop Bijan and all costs. We don't have a good QB in Casey. The evidence is clear now.

Which is why he should not get the start next week. If we pull out a win after Worthy spots him his usual 2 TDS and 150 yards then Sark will stick with him the rest of the way no matter what. We need Card to start so he can start getting reps for next year and beyond other wise we lose him for nothing and start to hope Ewers comes home 

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The thing is, he has put up decent stats because Sarkisian's offense gets the WRs open. A good QB would have had 400+ yards with the way the Baylor defense was playing to stop Bijan at all costs. We don't have a good QB in Casey. The evidence is clear now.

Casey has been meh to excellent in the first half and on the opening drive of the second half. Seems like Sark would have given Card a shot in the second half of the last couple of games after consecutive 3 and outs after halftime.

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Both QBs are ass, my dude

The line is ass. Every qb will suck behind that line. Watching an Alabama game is ridiculous. The qb has forever back there. We could probably swap our line with the top half team in the c-USA and see an improvement. 

1 hour ago, Sabalo said:

Casey has been meh to excellent in the first half and on the opening drive of the second half. Seems like Sark would have given Card a shot in the second half of the last couple of games after consecutive 3 and outs after halftime.

maybe Card's already gone at the end of the season and Sark knows it. I mean why would he stay? He beat out Casey and got pulled at the first sign of trouble and is watching Casey do the same shit that got him pulled. What good would it do for him to beat out Casey this off season?

Card should have played vs Okie State. Casey should have backed him up. Casey was hurt, play the damn best option and don’t focus on feelings.

Vs iowa state who fucking cares who starts, they will lose that game as well, because that is the mentality of the team and the coach.

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Aggy took a shitty QB and beat bama by coaching the shitty qb. This idea that Card is bad due to one game is stupid as shit. The entire fucking offense was bad because Sark and our shit no-line are known.

aggy beat Bama for the same reason they beat Bama 10 years ago, Bama didn't show up. 2031 will be the next win.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That is such a stupid take. They lost. Georgia lost because there was only one offense Tom Orlando was capable of limiting and they ran it.

lol, Bama didn't show up 10 years ago after playing LSU the Saturday night before at LSU and was down 21-0 before they knew what happened, then 10 years of kicking aggy's ass and Saban warned everyone it was a trap game a couple weeks ago and they didn't listen and didn't show up and it bit them in the ass. or hell, maybe Jimbo is just that good

12 hours ago, hookem48 said:

lol, Bama didn't show up 10 years ago after playing LSU the Saturday night before at LSU and was down 21-0 before they knew what happened, then 10 years of kicking aggy's ass and Saban warned everyone it was a trap game a couple weeks ago and they didn't listen and didn't show up and it bit them in the ass. or hell, maybe Jimbo is just that good

You also have to consider context.  aggy won their only contested MNC when there was a world war and millions of people around the globe were dying.   Now that there is a pandemic and millions of people around the world have died, they are ramping up for another run.   Coincidence? 

• Haha 1

"Steve Sarkisian faced the media on Monday as he usually does, and although he still seems optimistic about the trajectory of the program, which he kind of has to, he also gave some very interesting and somewhat passive aggressive statements to the media."

SARK:  "We'll see where it goes from here"

If Casey doesn't play well vs Iowa State, gonna be a lot more calls for playing time for Hudson...

Lulz. This is fucking hilarious. 2nd clip, Josh Moore astutely points out the blitzing CB, and Casey doesn't recognize it a throw an easy pass to a wide open Moore for a TD. 

A good QB recognizes it and burns the shit out of Baylor for an easy 6. This is why QB is the most important need in the portal. You don't need a great OL and WR to turn that into a TD, but you need a good QB.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4